Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

No joke one of my professors had one as a pet.

Yeah I was serious too, you coudl've just bough their tamed foxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwjS_eI-lQ

yeah that's a very good overview, you can clearly see the difference between the foxes and a dog in the video (from 5 minutes). I do wonder though what better early socialization would do, becaue it certainly makes a difference in dogs too.
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the domestic fox line the soviets made still exists and is still being progressively bred to be more and more tame. unfortunately part of the experiment was to get a feel of how straightforward it was to breed "tameness" into animals and the answer is "not very".

you're not getting a dog there. dogs are hyper-tame insofar as they're not just curious about and open to association with humans, they have an emotional availability that responds to humans instinctively and that goes directly to their trainability and cohabitation compatibility with humans.

this is a very long-form way of saying "good loving luck house-breaking even a 'domestic' fox."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So in China there's been a huge rise in "wolf warrior" propaganda poo poo, they're really pushing movies and media in general that shows the chinese army and people in general as the bravest fiercest most badass warriors on earth. But China hasn't really actually fought in any wars in a very very long time, all they have are incredibly propagandistic wolf warrior movies where "the west" is almost always the bad guy. It's created a bunch of guys like this just itching to prove their wolf-warrior status vs the west. A lot of them sign up for security jobs in china's various african operations that are absolutely not at all colonies. But some do... this.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So in China there's been a huge rise in "wolf warrior" propaganda poo poo, they're really pushing movies and media in general that shows the chinese army and people in general as the bravest fiercest most badass warriors on earth. But China hasn't really actually fought in any wars in a very very long time, all they have are incredibly propagandistic wolf warrior movies where "the west" is almost always the bad guy. It's created a bunch of guys like this just itching to prove their wolf-warrior status vs the west. A lot of them sign up for security jobs in china's various african operations that are absolutely not at all colonies. But some do... this.

I suppose their last conflicts were with Vietnam. :ohdear:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

The idea that China's stuff (vehicles, equipment, training, tactics, strategy) remains so thoroughly untested yet they manage to hoot and holler about how great they are is just... wow.

Edit:
Also lmao at Chinese logistics and the Chinese Navy becoming any serious opposition during even a minor scuffle with NATO.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a lot of people don't really respect how amazingly good the US is at war. There has been no society or empire in world history that has mastered war so totally as the US has. We like to make fun of them as fat and stupid and a crumbling society that doesn't even have healthcare, but man you do not want to gently caress with the US in the one thing they're good at: war. The US war machine isn't just a matter of budget or numbers, its the deep institutional knowledge that you only get by constantly sending your military into challenging conflicts. We've seen so clearly in Ukraine that if you let your institutions and technology get rusty, numbers don't matter. And it's not like Russia hasn't fought a war in generations, they had their little military adventures since the 90's quite frequently and it just wasn't enough, the culture wasn't there. Dictatorships often have very bad militaries because of the rampant corruption that goes along with that form of society.

I hope China never does something as insane as invade Taiwan, but I'm intensely curious how China would fair in an actual war. They've been going all out buying all the "stuff" for war, but we've not seen any sign that China has the institutions for war. Are the frantically trying to learn from Russia? But even so, what room do they actually have for real reform within their military given the deeply entrenched corruption and incompetence that comes with giant dictatorships?

God, I so wish we were living in the End of History and the current issue was talking about if Russia was ready to join the EU or not and how exciting China's liberal political reforms of the last 10 years have been. Where's my rules based international order I was promised? Where's the unstoppable march of democracy and human rights fueled by the expansion of open markets we were told was inevitable?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What if Ukraine, but also your invading troops have to sail there across deep ocean :suicide:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

What if Ukraine, but also your invading troops have to sail there across deep ocean :suicide:

And also, you're not fighting just Ukraine, but also... the USA

Did you know: the USA has a navy

It's not a bad navy. In fact, it's kinda ok. Not exactly a small navy either. Yep, sure is a navy, that one

Seriously though, since we are in the dumbest timeline, I fully expect Xi to invade Taiwan sometime pretty soon, like in the next few years. This is how dumb the world is these days. All of it is dumb as gently caress

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Why invade Taiwan when you can just invade every square kilometer east of Moscow?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watched an interview with the Bradley crew, the guy thanks video games for teaching him correct armoured warfare tactics and exactly where the weak points on a t-90 is.

Basically we can thank Warthunder for all this. Amazing. I actually notice Ukrainian soldiers thanking video games quite frequently in interviews. There was some Ukrainian special forces guy being interviewed about some deep behind enemy lines mission his team pulled off and he mostly mentioned his background playing STALKER airsoft. Or drone pilots thanking all the flight sim hours they've put in.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Baronjutter posted:

I watched an interview with the Bradley crew, the guy thanks video games for teaching him correct armoured warfare tactics and exactly where the weak points on a t-90 is.

Basically we can thank Warthunder for all this. Amazing. I actually notice Ukrainian soldiers thanking video games quite frequently in interviews. There was some Ukrainian special forces guy being interviewed about some deep behind enemy lines mission his team pulled off and he mostly mentioned his background playing STALKER airsoft. Or drone pilots thanking all the flight sim hours they've put in.

gamers rise up

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

EorayMel posted:

Why invade Taiwan when you can just invade every square kilometer east of Moscow?

you don't even have to invade, you can just wait by the phone.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Just wait till they unleash the guy who trained on sonic the hedgehog.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

They knew about the pro-tip!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

TaurusTorus posted:

gamers rise up

Russia frantically scuppering its giant enemy crab straight out of ancient Japan tactic as we speak.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Baronjutter posted:

Toys was prophetic.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CommieGIR posted:

Oh they do, there's an interview with a Ukrainian Bradley crew and they show them.

just thinking of a couple of Ukrainian guys opening their mouths and "CHECK OUT OUR NEW TOW MISSILE" from C&C Generals coming out

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1748480083990372669#m

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Baronjutter posted:

I hope China never does something as insane as invade Taiwan, but I'm intensely curious how China would fair in an actual war. They've been going all out buying all the "stuff" for war, but we've not seen any sign that China has the institutions for war. Are the frantically trying to learn from Russia? But even so, what room do they actually have for real reform within their military given the deeply entrenched corruption and incompetence that comes with giant dictatorships?
they don't have all the 'stuff' for war and they're not making serious motions toward properly equipping a modern army to fight a peer military. their army has almost exclusively been for domestic enforcement of the CCP's governmental mandate since at least tiananmen square.

at the absolute least you should see chinese war planes flying an order of magnitude more training sorties than they currently are if they were trying to become a modern warfighting force. there is simply no replacement for thousands of hours in the cockpit for even something as relatively simple as bombing runs.

chinese weapon-buying and weapon-creation, at this point anyway, is much more about internal propaganda (there's lots of wolf warrior china stronk stuff in the country right now) and subsidizing chinese manufacturing, which continues to suffer horribly under xi's cycle of autarky reforms and planned economy pushes, both of which have progressively led to trading partners shrugging and moving on to factories in vietnam instead. there's tons of old factories that used to be producing widgets, sprockets, and circuits that were simply idle. so now they're making guns, axles, and drone bits. it's not about being a peer military power, though, it's just about economic activity. which ultimately won't work, because xi's speedrunning the process by which mao hosed china into a coma.

e: i realize i'm missing a lot of detail here and that's by design, i don't want to make a giant 10k word derail post in the ukraine thread so i'd be chuffed if we could all skip the well actuallys on the fine specifics of all this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Of note, it seems that he knew where the weak points on the Russian tank were from playing War Thunder.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TK-42-1 posted:

Toys was prophetic.

What a movie, fck

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Subjunctive posted:

Of note, it seems that he knew where the weak points on the Russian tank were from playing War Thunder.

They probably could have destroyed it had they gone on the forums.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

"We were having problems with the armor piercing ammo, so I remembered my video games and used HE to blind his optics"

Lol, what a world. I appreciate how humble all these guys are and how they're not afraid to say how terrifying it is.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Data Graham posted:

What a movie, fck
Easily my favorite LL Cool J role

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Funny. All of the guys who played games when I was in the service were playing stuff like Halo/CoD/MoH and it kinda showed.

I do play a lot of War Thunder, and while it's not remotely close to something like a simulator, it can potentially teach an armor crew about things like sight lines, firing and maneuvering, and causing alternate kinds of attrition.

It can never prepare you for the suck that is doing firing drills in mopp gear though.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Just a week ago a few big names published stories that were supposed to be based on US Intelligence attributing the recent military leadership purge in China to missiles being filled with water instead of fuel. Of course they denied it and it could be propaganda from any direction but it's interesting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Huh. Looked for his name through the '?' and last post I saw was October. Guess I'm just an idiot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Just a week ago a few big names published stories that were supposed to be based on US Intelligence attributing the recent military leadership purge in China to missiles being filled with water instead of fuel. Of course they denied it and it could be propaganda from any direction but it's interesting.

Hank Hill cries over his old car

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I read a little about this and even if half of it is true China is in no shape to invade anyone currently. Couple this with seeing how poorly Russia is doing against a country they share a land border with and the fact that Taiwan is an island... yeah we probably aren't going to see them try for a while if ever.

Though if I was leading Taiwan I wouldn't let my guard down a bit.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

weg posted:

I read a little about this and even if half of it is true China is in no shape to invade anyone currently. Couple this with seeing how poorly Russia is doing against a country they share a land border with and the fact that Taiwan is an island... yeah we probably aren't going to see them try for a while if ever.

Though if I was leading Taiwan I wouldn't let my guard down a bit.

Indeed. Being in no shape to invade someone or occupy them afterwards is a trait that all invaders this century seem not to have learned.

The USA is an example.

Never get too proud of the technological terror you’ve constructed.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Imagine being the replica of Sputnik 1 at the Museum of Space and Missile Technology in Saint Petersburg and this morning some rear end in a top hat starts un-hooking you from your comfortable display tethers while mumbling about needing to get airborne every available radiometry package to fill in for that missing A50.

You'd be pissed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

shadow puppet of a posted:

Imagine being the replica of Sputnik 1 at the Museum of Space and Missile Technology in Saint Petersburg and this morning some rear end in a top hat starts un-hooking you from your comfortable display tethers while mumbling about needing to get airborne every available radiometry package to fill in for that missing A50.

You'd be pissed.

"radiometry package"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's going to be a really loving rude awakening if they ever fight a war with anyone that isn't "Chinese protesters" or "Indian guys with sticks on some mountain". A lot of their stuff seems dubious at best, their military training is famously bad and lacking, and they don't have any institutional knowledge about actually fighting wars or using their navy.

But hopefully we never have to find out because war loving sucks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If only war mongering NATO would just consider China's legitimate security concerns. 😢

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

shadow puppet of a posted:

You'd be pissed.

During the Falkland War the Brits did go to museums with Vulcan bombers for parts. And a New York scrapyard for the bomb racks which fortunately had not been melted down.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CeeJee posted:

During the Falkland War the Brits did go to museums with Vulcan bombers for parts. And a New York scrapyard for the bomb racks which fortunately had not been melted down.

I read from somewhere that SAS forces also noticed that the version of FN FAL they carried (L1A1) was crappier than the upgraded and modernized version Argentinian army gave to their conscripts. In addition of having to steal gloves off the corpses/POWs mentioned earlier.

So UK in the 80's isn't exactly a stellar example of military procurement either.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1748649700209668473#m

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah it's going to be a really loving rude awakening if they ever fight a war with anyone that isn't "Chinese protesters" or "Indian guys with sticks on some mountain". A lot of their stuff seems dubious at best, their military training is famously bad and lacking, and they don't have any institutional knowledge about actually fighting wars or using their navy.

But hopefully we never have to find out because war loving sucks.

My Navy friend who was stationed in Japan for a number of years as he puts it, a China watcher/professional war gamer, is much less sanguine.

China took advantage of the intermediate missile treaties between the US and Russia and blanketed the region with thousands of medium range ballistic missiles.

One fun takeaway though was that one of the fun quirks of totalitarianism is that their war gamers/planners aren’t allowed to have China lose war games. Which i guess is intended to mean they don’t plan for or explore contingencies that could lead to loss.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I often think of this video and laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x10eF7JrDic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

My Navy friend who was stationed in Japan for a number of years as he puts it, a China watcher/professional war gamer, is much less sanguine.

China took advantage of the intermediate missile treaties between the US and Russia and blanketed the region with thousands of medium range ballistic missiles.

One fun takeaway though was that one of the fun quirks of totalitarianism is that their war gamers/planners aren’t allowed to have China lose war games. Which i guess is intended to mean they don’t plan for or explore contingencies that could lead to loss.

The leak also mentioned that those missle silo doors dont actially open. So you have missles you cant launch cause no fuel, and yoi couldnt launch them with fuel because the lids dont open on the silos..... good loving luck.

But they are accidentally working on sideways bullets for bullet drifting gunkata. Their homemade guns cant even fire bullets straight. They would embarass themselves against anything other than philipino fishing boats.