Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

They got rid of our desk phones and gave us all software phones.
In the process this broke our intercom that we had in the entryway so they just hung up a sign over the junction box where the intercom used to be saying 'dial <My Phone> for entry'
Then they got rid of our software phones.
The SOP now is to just bang on the glass till someone notices I guess.

They couldn’t spring for a buzzer? We had one. It got used maybe 70% of the time and the rest was people walking in and saying hello? I need help with some nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I got the dreaded time-sensitive complicated problem on a Friday afternoon right before my shift ends.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our health insurance changed and mine went from $76/month to $184/month.

Work bumped up my pay $50/month to cover this, apparently.

IDGI

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Our HR department sent out a company wide email stating that we're moving away from one pay solution to another pay solution thing, think ADP, and we all need to sign up for it.

Oh and there's a brand new HR app that we can sign up for, yes it's only an app, no there's no website login. ALL AT FOUR O'CLOCK today. The most obvious of dumping poo poo out and potentially not dealing with poo poo till Monday..... possibly.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Arquinsiel posted:

Sticky notes get unfairly maligned in this work from home era TBH. Go ahead and make things convenient for yourself. If someone gets to the sticky note you'll probably care more about your TV than you will work's problems.

Unfortunately, about half the time my workspace is separated from the highly intoxicated public by nothing more than a ship's ladder and a couple geriatric volunteers. If my job was full remote I could see where that would make sense. As it is I programmed a yubikey to spit it out on a long press, but still memorized it just because.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GreenNight posted:

Our health insurance changed and mine went from $76/month to $184/month.

Work bumped up my pay $50/month to cover this, apparently.

IDGI

Allow me to interpret. *checks notes*

"gently caress you."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

$1,600 dollar paycut.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah and we were told Dec 27th.

One of the folks in IT was on vacation that week and he had $2500 in an FSA. Old insurance was re-done every April. This was changed starting Jan 1. Guess who lost his FSA?

What a company.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Onboarding is not an IT task, it is a line manager task. Line manager gets the laptop and the credentials (temporary access pass if you're on board with all that) and gives them to the new hire when they turn up.
My place is moving to a new onboarding process where the managers will initiate the process by selecting all the accesses they need the new employee to have. Our constant attempts to tell them that managers have no idea what accesses are actually needed for anyone, let alone their technical names, of course fall on deaf ears.

Thanks Ants posted:

I spent half a day working with an external company on some Teams stuff, and my hot take is that Teams as a phone system is passable in a world where everybody is using headsets, doesn't really make or receive actual phone calls all that often, and you just want someone to have a number they can use to give out to tech support or whatever. If you want a telephone on a desk then it's complete poo poo, run away. Awful platform.
It seems like this is an experience every IT person either had or is going to have at some point this decade.

They just reassigned all the people that used to handle voice line stuff to managing Teams at my place. Surely that's the same skill set, right? It's all phones.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s what we did and it worked out fine, especially since we went remote-only in 2020. The telecom guys spend most of their time dealing with Five9 and the call centers anyways.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hello old friend

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
20 years old and looks every bit of it

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
It's quite literally old enough to drink. Is it still in use :staredog:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A Frosty Witch posted:

It's quite literally old enough to drink. Is it still in use :staredog:

It was until yesterday until the equally old 8 port netgear 10/100 switch feeding it died. I was honestly surprised a switch that old had POE ports.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Entropic posted:

It was until yesterday until the equally old 8 port netgear 10/100 switch feeding it died. I was honestly surprised a switch that old had POE ports.
TIL that PoE was first standardized in 2003. (Along with 2009 PoE+ and 2018 PoE++/4PPoE). That's a long while of magic with two things in one wire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Very little has changed on wired networks for about two decades, you could buy a gigabit PoE switch in 2004 and that's still the standard option now.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Very little has changed on wired networks for about two decades, you could buy a gigabit PoE switch in 2004 and that's still the standard option now.

Well, passive PoE was a bit of a mess, the newer varieties are much better. And just because you could get a gigabit PoE switch in 2004, it was hardly the “standard”. It’d be more comparable to 10 gig stuff now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We still have some HP 2610 switches in prod. They are long-lived bastards....

We're replacing them this year.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Welp, no :yotj: at least this time around.

They can't afford what I need at the moment.

Can't win 'em all.

And in all honesty, I've got a pretty good gig right now. Management leaves me the gently caress alone. I can pretty much work on whatever I want. I've got tons of flexibility in scheduling. And the pay ain't half bad, either.

But that interview experience definitely reinforced my thought that they will be a good place to look when I need somewhere to land. Definitely won't be here long term mainly because my poo poo is going away, eventually.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

minusX posted:

TIL that PoE was first standardized in 2003. (Along with 2009 PoE+ and 2018 PoE++/4PPoE). That's a long while of magic with two things in one wire.

PoE has come a long way. I worked with some PoE gear (Motorola Canopy, cool stuff) in the early days, and it was wild. Switch had 8 ports, 4 powered and 4 not - the 4 powered were for the incredibly powerful outdoor antennas, and the other 4 were for the local network, a laptop to configure the things, devices that had power injection down the line, etc.
The ports were not auto sensing.
Had quite a few people standing on top of a mountain that were super mad at us because they plugged their laptop into a port without checking and released a tiny bit of magic smoke.

I'm much happier with modern PoE standards.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wasn't ubiquiti originally spun off from Motorola a long time ago? I vaguely remember there being a reason that their gear used a different wattage than everyone else.

I know I've been guilty of frying some wireless bridges in the past by not checking the PoE settings. That's a mistake you only make once or twice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Silly Newbie posted:

PoE has come a long way. I worked with some PoE gear (Motorola Canopy, cool stuff) in the early days, and it was wild. Switch had 8 ports, 4 powered and 4 not - the 4 powered were for the incredibly powerful outdoor antennas, and the other 4 were for the local network, a laptop to configure the things, devices that had power injection down the line, etc.
The ports were not auto sensing.
Had quite a few people standing on top of a mountain that were super mad at us because they plugged their laptop into a port without checking and released a tiny bit of magic smoke.

I'm much happier with modern PoE standards.
The WISP folks really love passive PoE (the kind that fries poo poo) because they can just wire things straight to a battery and have it work, which I guess makes some sense, but I find it endlessly frustrating that multiple vendors still to this day are releasing new hardware that doesn't support modern standards at all and only does the passive garbage.

Nothing wrong with backwards compatibility for updating old installs and even supporting that style long-term for specific applications that want it, but when there have been appropriate standards with significant benefits for literally decades at this point there's no excuse to not support and use them by default.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Exciting career opportunity here:

https://twitter.com/en4rab/status/1751302219700269448?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Remote

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Gulp indeed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The link might be dead, but it lives on thanks to the almighty power of archive.org
https://web.archive.org/web/20240128011135/https://www.gulp.de/gulp2/g/projekte/agentur/C00929028

Windows 3.11 used for the operational displays in a train cab.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 29, 2024

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wasn't ubiquiti originally spun off from Motorola a long time ago? I vaguely remember there being a reason that their gear used a different wattage than everyone else.

I know I've been guilty of frying some wireless bridges in the past by not checking the PoE settings. That's a mistake you only make once or twice.

No, it was started by some radio engineers who did a lot of work for Apple and some other silicon valley companies. I did tech support for them for a short period. Company was run by engineers, and that results in a LOT of very odd priorities.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hello we wanted the cheapest solution possible so we bought a webcam and it's not picking up the sound very well in a meeting room that seats eight people, what can we do?"

Stop being tight, buy the right stuff would be my suggestion.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

"Hello we wanted the cheapest solution possible so we bought a webcam and it's not picking up the sound very well in a meeting room that seats eight people, what can we do?"

By seven more webcams, problem solved.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If it doesn't adequately solve the problem, it's not really "a solution", is it?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

Ugh I'm about to do just this. I have to be remote for an in-office meeting and the mic for the conference room is the Logitech webcam on top of the television. Every meeting sounds like I'm listening to a butt-dial

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

nielsm posted:

A strong password written on a safely kept note is better than a weak password you don't need to write down (because it's so simple).

what about when your large enterprise (250,000 people give or take) requires everyone to use an 8 character password

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're already hosed, don't worry about it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

We have all these super expensive Cisco systems at work, I try to order systems based on the room, and get extra mics if necessary. Still had someone move a system from a small 10x10 room and into this giant conference space. Then they sat on the far end of the table. Yeah no poo poo the camera can’t see or hear you, people with you in the room can barely hear you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what about when your large enterprise (250,000 people give or take) requires everyone to use an 8 character password

Tell them that AS/400 is old.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

Had a ticket today for a business customer with packet loss.

After some digging we found that it was a medium sized company that was running their entire business off of a single cable modem. Surprise, they were being rate limited due to the absolutely insane amount of bandwidth they were consuming.

The company is an MSP.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

wolrah posted:

The WISP folks really love passive PoE (the kind that fries poo poo) because they can just wire things straight to a battery and have it work, which I guess makes some sense, but I find it endlessly frustrating that multiple vendors still to this day are releasing new hardware that doesn't support modern standards at all and only does the passive garbage.

Nothing wrong with backwards compatibility for updating old installs and even supporting that style long-term for specific applications that want it, but when there have been appropriate standards with significant benefits for literally decades at this point there's no excuse to not support and use them by default.

Wait, people still build devices with passive PoE? My story was from like 2005, I figured everyone would have figured out just sending the bit that has the power. Wild.
Re: cowboy engineer based wireless products, in that same early 2000s time period we did support for a customer who built and sold WRT-54g style home routers with a 1W antenna. They meant it for use on ranches or other places where you might need an acre of wireless coverage or whatever. Based out of Utah. It was great until someone put one in like a city apartment and set it to channel 6, just blanked out everyone in the rest of the building. I heard they got in trouble with the FCC because the wattage control was a physical dial on the board in the case and went over 1000mw if you turned it, but I was never able to corroborate it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Our current "remodel a whole floor to the new standard" standard has the lights powered by PoE. I think that makes sense versus running that many more actual power runs, but my hat's off to whoever thought of it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So are they smart lights? Can you hack them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/MikeIrvo/status/1752123455125016839

So, any bets on what year/month some middle manager or C-level asks work IT to troubleshoot a neuralink?