Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like the next Quake isn’t going to be called Quake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

So, playing Half-Life on Hard was a terrible idea and I'm not enjoying myself any more, and I have Delta Particles to play for that particular itch, so I'm giving the Quake II remaster a whirl! It's very good! I don't really hold QII In as high regard as OG Quake, but it's still a fun shooty game and the remaster provides all sorts of nice tweaks. I've always liked the mechanics of the pump-action double-barrel shotgun. It's so needlessly overkill, and it makes that nice chunk-chunk sound when it's pumping.

Play Call of the Machine. It was a life changing improvement in my opinion of Quake 2 and had that been the way the Quake 2 campaign played id be singing its praises instead of calling it bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Like the next Quake isn’t going to be called Quake

More precisely it'll be called QUAKE

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rocket Pan posted:

It's obviously a joke. There isn't even a Quake 5.

Et Quake wars

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Quake: Origins

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Dangerous Dave 4: Quake V: Chaos at the Capitol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quank

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Quake Protocol: Return of the Phoenix Rising

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Quack

:honk:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Hasturtium posted:

Does Quake Champions count? Hell, does it count anywhere?

If a Quake game can be an online only arena shooter with a mish mash of weird characters you’ve never seen before and be considered a legit Quake game, so can Quake Champions.

Ergo, Quake Champions is Quake 5. :colbert: Sorlag is my waifu.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
QVAKE

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm quake 5

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

site posted:

Et Quake wars

Totally forgot about that one

Was it any good

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

manero posted:

Quake 6 confirmed? Check the left side of the whiteboard @ the timestamp (43:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__CsgNHr7ZQ&t=2619s

Rocket Pan posted:

It's obviously a joke. There isn't even a Quake 5.

So you're saying that Quake 5 and 6 are both coming out this year?!?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I demand Quake 5, a weird meditative tone piece, and Quake 6 a character action game where the ranger wears thigh highs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

my bony fealty posted:

Totally forgot about that one

Was it any good

I don't really remember it being bad but it was immediately overshadowed by team fortress 2 and cod modern warfare coming out the next two months

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
If you're counting Champions you need to also count Live and Quake Wars, so we're up to Quake 9.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

spongeh posted:

If you're counting Champions you need to also count Live and Quake Wars, so we're up to Quake 9.
quake 99, coming to nintendo switch online

kill a monster on your screen to send a monster to someone else's screen

last ranger standing wins

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

That Slave Zero/Quake tie-in was cool! I'm still not really interested in the actual game they're making since beat 'em ups are really my thing but still, a cool little thing. Impressive the amount of work that went into it, even if a lot of the enemies and weapons were pretty much reskins in function, but there are a few more unique ones as well. Beating the game even unlocks a couple new toys that you can use if you feel like playing through the episode again! I will say that, visually speaking, I thought the first couple maps were more interesting than the others. Well worth a look!

gently caress I haven't played a beat em up in years. They're one of my favorite genres. Is there a thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Coffee Jones posted:

If a Quake game can be an online only arena shooter with a mish mash of weird characters you’ve never seen before and be considered a legit Quake game, so can Quake Champions.

Ergo, Quake Champions is Quake 5. :colbert: Sorlag is my waifu.

I eventually just latched on to athena unless I had a kill with ability daily. Quake Champions isn't that bad, my biggest problem with it is it apparently loads like poo poo with a HDD and you're not gonna guess what I have. There are dozens of us! Dozens!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think you can get flash drives for 20 bucks that are faster than hdds

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

site posted:

I don't really remember it being bad but it was immediately overshadowed by team fortress 2 and cod modern warfare coming out the next two months

Yeah that's kind of a double whammy of era defining games to have to compete with(really until PUBG & Fortnite popularized commercially the Battle Royale genre in 2017 most FPS multiplayer games for the 2007-2017 decade were trying to ape either COD or TF2 aside from the occasional Battlefield clone or the odd throwback or co-op focused game)

The Kins posted:

quake 99, coming to nintendo switch online

kill a monster on your screen to send a monster to someone else's screen

last ranger standing wins

Man that would actually be really fun

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I eventually just latched on to athena unless I had a kill with ability daily. Quake Champions isn't that bad, my biggest problem with it is it apparently loads like poo poo with a HDD and you're not gonna guess what I have. There are dozens of us! Dozens!

It’s 2024, buy an ssd

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
even running the game off a usbc flash drive would be better than a spinning rust drive

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Quake Champions is Quake Champions, not Quake 5.

Maybe if they take the DICE pattern for Battlefield games:

Codename Eagle
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield Vietnam
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Battlefield V
Battlefield 20... nah that's the worst one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

i should play bad company 1 again

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

but also you missed 2 modern combat and 1943

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

even running the game off a usbc flash drive would be better than a spinning rust drive

The rust... gives it character.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

The rust... gives it character.

The endless loading screens have character you mean?

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
I always felt that Doom 3 had an mini identity crisis about whether it wanted to be a slower, more vulnerable System Shock 2 style style shooter, or a darker themed but still more action oriented shooter like Doom 64/PSX. The repetitive monster closets, resource management not really being a thing & the over abundance of ammo even in the 2004 version meant you didn't have a great atmospheric survival themed experience for the most part. Some very early sections, Hell & the Delta labs have a nice creepy atmosphere I'll admit, but there wasn't enough . From an shooting perspective, most weapons feel & sound weak, damage feedback is abysmal (only gibs are the hilarious "brain popping out of zombies" for half a second before fading away and the over done flying ragdoll effects on massive enemies like the Hell Knight is WTF) didn't make it a great action experience either.

On a Quake related note, I have a nasty feeling that unless it's a reboot of Quake 1, the next game will either be related to the Strogg directly, or be heavily influenced by its aesthetic: no time for Lovecraft, weird castles or inter-dimensional horror themes, Quake 2 Remastered recent success means Bethesda higher-ups will double down on the Strogg!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:jackbud:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Quake 6 should be a semi-open world hub game with nonlinear progression where you can jumpgate to different worlds, one of which is the Strogg world.

Let's throw some lite RPG elements in there too, and many cosmetic microtransactions. Perhaps an extraction shooter MP?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I sincerely hope they don't make another Quake game and especially hope they don't call it Quake. Just make something new!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Codename Eagle
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield Vietnam
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Battlefield V

they called the tenth battlefield game battlefield 1

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

but also you missed 2 modern combat and 1943

I missed 2 modern combat and 1943 yeah, both console exclusives (like Bad Company 1). 1943 was super fun but didn't feel like a fully fledged release with just three maps (conquest) and one for air superiority. I didn't unclude BF Heroes and Play4Free because obvious reasons.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Also forgot Battlefield Heroes

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BF Heroes started decently and then it turned to poo poo. BF Play4Free was poo poo from the start (a Pay2win BF2? lol)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Codename Eagle
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield Vietnam
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Battlefield V

I prefer Kingdom Hearts style

Kingdom Hearts (2002)
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (2002)
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (2004)
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (2007)
Kingdom Hearts II (2005)
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (2007)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (2009)
Kingdom Hearts coded (2009–2010)
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (2010)
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (2010)
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix (2011)
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (2012)
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD (2017)
Kingdom Hearts χ (2013-2016)
Kingdom Hearts Union χ (2015-2021)
Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover (2017)
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage- (2017)
Kingdom Hearts III (2019)
Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind (2020)
Kingdom Hearts Dark Road (2020-2022)
Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory (2020)
Kingdom Hearts Missing-Link (2024)
Kingdom Hearts IV (TBA)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Eagerly looking forward to Quake 0.666 Death by Birth - A Gossamer Thread of Fate (2025)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Guillermus posted:

BF Heroes started decently and then it turned to poo poo. BF Play4Free was poo poo from the start (a Pay2win BF2? lol)

Always spawn inside the jet, including ejecting non-platinum players from the canopy. It's balanced because the ejector seats take 30 seconds to renew!