Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man the new Cobra driver is sexy - ticking the boxes I'd want too. I love messing around with the weights (That's why I like my F9 so much).

I think that's the one I'm locking into as my replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

January hangover and $2k in car bills means I'm going to be using Dad's hand me downs for a lot longer than I'd like.

I may have to bite the bullet and update the putter though. The more I use it the more uncomfortable it gets.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm wishing the g430 10k was out last year when I got fit, it sounds like the perfect thing for me. High forgiveness for a high swing speed and low spin.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I haven't been out since early December, weather is great where I am, I just haven't had the drive to make the time to get out, but I did get my brothers the best golf related Christmas presents - each a Vessel Den Caddy, and they gave me nothing.I even told them both about Srixon golfball deals for Christmas (hint, hint). My little bro did tell me Christmas Eve that he was taking our friend to a couple of private courses in SD that weekend. WTF? I'm not getting them poo poo next year! Lol

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 12, 2024

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Anyone else find Brian Harman irritating to watch?

JUST FUCKIN HOLD STILL AND HIT THE THING. GODDD! :rant:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes, everyone does. Followed him around LACC for the US Open last year quite a bit because he was in contention all week and he takes literal minutes to hit the ball after he's already gotten set up over it and is infuriating to watch despite being insanely talented.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

Can’t remember which tournament there was, but they were running a waggle tracker on him before each shot.

Also, on the topic of clubs. I managed to snag a set of barely used 2008 AP1’s for $300 with two volley wedges from Facebook marketplace.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

I can't stand that his putter head is as big as his actual head

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What's this threads pick as the most forgiving driver from last year? Just noticing an uptick in second hand ads from people buying this year's latest and greatest and this might be the better way to upgrade my 20yo driver

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

What's this threads pick as the most forgiving driver from last year? Just noticing an uptick in second hand ads from people buying this year's latest and greatest and this might be the better way to upgrade my 20yo driver

Ping 430 Max without a question.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Matt you’re a better golfer than me please convince me to not get the Dark Speed this year.

It’s such a nice looking driver and the weight system is exactly what I’d want out a driver. I waaaant iiiiiit.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

Matt you’re a better golfer than me please convince me to not get the Dark Speed this year.

It’s such a nice looking driver and the weight system is exactly what I’d want out a driver. I waaaant iiiiiit.

My friend I am the last person who you want to convince you to not buy something lol.

Buy it and be happy!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

This, there’s no debate.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's a great driver, I may try to trade mine for a lower loft though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

xsf421 posted:

This, there’s no debate.

Noted and quoted to remind me later.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Why the crap can I not hit my 5 or 4 iron any further than my 7’s 140yards. I want an extra twenty yards dammit.

Yes I am still getting lessons, and yes I’m glacially understanding loft and swing plane.

But theoretically, less loft more far.

Edit; follow up actual question - are there any YouTube’s that explain what actually happens during a golf swing and what it means when shaft length and loft changes? I’m an autistic engineer and something technical might help me rather than “feels”.

Oodles fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 14, 2024

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
probably swing speed, lower irons require more speed to get the ball in the air at a good trajectory.

could also be the longer shaft means you're missing the center of the face more often

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah most likely you aren't making center contact on the face and that is costing you distance. How much distance exactly depends on how forgiving your irons are.

You should get some impact tape or dr. scholls spray to see where you are making contact, but generally the 5 and especially 4 iron are hard to hit and mediocre golfers (like me) swap them for hybrids.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The hell kind of putter is Kawamura using in the desert classic? Looks like one straight off the mini golf rental rack.

Edit: also I really hope Harmon doesn't make the cut.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
Anyone who complains about Harman probably stands like an un-dynamic statue over the ball and is not to be trusted or listened to. Embrace the endless waggles and leave my short lil lefty alone

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
New Cleveland CBX4 wedges dropped so its a good time to pick up the CBX Zipcores (was the 3 but they didn't call it that)on ebay.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GEMorris posted:

New Cleveland CBX4 wedges dropped so its a good time to pick up the CBX Zipcores (was the 3 but they didn't call it that)on ebay.

I want to try the cbx4s at demo day. big fan of easy to hit wedges.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GEMorris posted:

I looove my CBX Zipcore SW. Might just have to update my gap wedge too...

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Three weeks where it’s been too cold to golf! I don’t know how you NE/midwest people do it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kawamura using a bullseye putter according to commentators. Brave.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omerta posted:

Three weeks where it’s been too cold to golf! I don’t know how you NE/midwest people do it.

Were the courses closed? If the course is open, it's not too cold to golf.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Some fun early season pro golf news as amateur Nick Dunlap currently leads the AmEx by 3 shots in a decently strong strength of field tournament. Last I checked he was 3rd or 4th in the men's amateur world ratings, so it wouldn't be like the most shocking win ever, but it would be the first (a) to win since Phil back in the early 90s IIRC.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Kawamura using a bullseye putter according to commentators. Brave.

I have a Bullseye putter and wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Anno posted:

Some fun early season pro golf news as amateur Nick Dunlap currently leads the AmEx by 3 shots in a decently strong strength of field tournament. Last I checked he was 3rd or 4th in the men's amateur world ratings, so it wouldn't be like the most shocking win ever, but it would be the first (a) to win since Phil back in the early 90s IIRC.

Update: he did it! With a little help from Sam Burns rinsing one on 17. Crazy accomplishment.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Anno posted:

Update: he did it! With a little help from Sam Burns rinsing one on 17. Crazy accomplishment.

Good for that dude. 2 year PGA Tour exemption and he gets into all of this year’s majors too I think. I’ve been checked out of golf so far this season, but I watched the final round coverage because I followed Dunlap during the US Amateur last year. Youngest amateur to win on tour since 1910 they said. Crazy indeed

Anno
May 10, 2017

I wonder if the NIL package and sponsorships he can get off of this could be worth more than whatever money he would’ve won.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Anno posted:

I wonder if the NIL package and sponsorships he can get off of this could be worth more than whatever money he would’ve won.

$1.5M.was what he misses out on and it goes to Bezuidenhout. He'll certainly make that up soon enough.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wait you telling me that a PGA event winner gets none of the prize money if he's got an (A) next to his name?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Correct, if he wins money he’s not an amateur anymore. That would ruin his eligibility for all sorts of things.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Weird to me, but whatever

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Weird to me, but whatever

Welcome to college sports!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dunlap does have a "head to toe" Adidas NIL deal, no idea what they're paying him but I'd imagine it's fairly lucrative.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
It was a lot less money (because Women athletes make a lot less) but Leona Maguire forfeited quite a bit of prize money over multiple wins and top # finishes in events while she was an amateur. Being good and finishing college before turning pro will do that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Carth Dookie posted:

wait you telling me that a PGA event winner gets none of the prize money if he's got an (A) next to his name?

He wouldn't have qualified for the field except as an amateur, so it's a bit of chicken/egg, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
He also doesn't get FedEx points