Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mystes posted:

They probably arrested the kid's parents for child abuse after storming the wrong house and shooting the neighbours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Precambrian Video Games posted:

So are they going to clear the sidewalks, or...?

if you report an unshoveled sidewalk in NYC it appears the rate at which action is taken on your report vs parking violations is in the neighborhood of 50,000%

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

And it got me curious if there’s ever been a car design feature as obvious of a bad idea as cathedral doors on convertibles
What's a cathedral door? I tried googling it but just got pictures of the doors of actual cathedrals.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Same reason my realtor told me to offer concessions after the fact rather than reducing the sale price for work that had to be done - it increases the value of their product that they get paid commission on.

I sold my house for $199K. It needed $6k in sewer line work and I was going to discount the price by that much but my realtor went apeshit and said I should sell for full price and do the work out of the proceeds after the sale. Turns out a rising tide lifts all boats if you're a realtor or a car dealership.
Perfect illustration of the parasitic nature of real estate agents.

Sell for $100, pay 10% to real estate agent, spend $10 on repairs, end up with $80.

Or

Sell for $90, pay agent 10%, end up with $81. New owner pays $10 for repairs.

In both cases the buyer pays a total of $100, but in one scenario the agent gets more of your money for absolutely no reason.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

look at the cars doors, where the handles are, how they might open.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

It's possible for the real estate agent to have earned the extra dollar if they're doing the legwork on finding someone competent to do the job at a reasonable price, lining up permits and inspections, etc. Doesn't sound like what OP's agent was up to though lol. But she probably had a $1,500/mo car payment on a 2019 Camry, so who can blame her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Real hurthling! posted:

look at the cars doors, where the handles are, how they might open.

Oh, are they suicide doors? I've never heard therm called "cathedral doors" before. Why are they worse on convertibles than on other cars?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tiggum posted:

Oh, are they suicide doors? I've never heard therm called "cathedral doors" before.

This is why one might call them that.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Oh, are they suicide doors? I've never heard therm called "cathedral doors" before. Why are they worse on convertibles than on other cars?

I’m not a car guy so I don’t have a lot of deep technical knowledge but that’s what I’ve always heard them called in the less than five conversations I’ve ever had about them, perfectly willing to accept that it might be a Utica expression

Would they be less bad in a non-convertabile. No. Probably just as bad. That lack of structure is just asking for a t-bone to cut you in half. But also the only pictures of them I’ve ever seen prior to tonight were convertibles. So you’ll maybe forgive me for thinking they were a convertible thing.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Cathedral doors (which is just a normal door in front of a suicide door) are unsafe for occupants for one of the exact same reason convertibles are unsafe: lack of physical structure/barriers in the event of a crash. When you have cathedral doors on a convertible, you're basically riding an enormous motorcycle. Worst of all worlds.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PMurphyWWL/status/1748095428929692106?t=XjAi_XzfnomlSoHb5fNO9g&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my biggest fear while driving is that some dumbass in a truck plows into me crossing a bridge and I go off, this one is very anxiety-inducing

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
On a saloon are those called bat wing doors

The car gets real quiet and the honky tonk piano fumbles to an awkward halt when I get in

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

my biggest fear while driving is that some dumbass in a truck plows into me crossing a bridge and I go off, this one is very anxiety-inducing

This happened on the I-295 bridge in Jacksonville when I was briefly living there in 2008/2009 or so. Got a lot of local media coverage for very obvious reasons. Drunk driver just sideswiped her iirc and she went over the bridge

More recently, during the 2022 snow storm in Portland, the plows didn’t clear the far right breakdown lane on the I-205 bridge and some guy lost control and hit the piled up snow and it basically acted like a ramp and just launched his car over the side of the bridge

Anyway I’m saying f you’re right to be afraid of this, because I can think of two specific times I’ve heard of it happening, and usually in these cases where somebody is afraid of something like this I’ve never actually heard of it happening

Also sometimes when I’m crossing bridges and get stuck in traffic I ponder what would happen if an earthquake hit at right this exact moment

Bridges man, gently caress em. Man was not meant to cross bodies of water or deep gorges

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This happened on the I-295 bridge in Jacksonville when I was briefly living there in 2008/2009 or so. Got a lot of local media coverage for very obvious reasons. Drunk driver just sideswiped her iirc and she went over the bridge

More recently, during the 2022 snow storm in Portland, the plows didn’t clear the far right breakdown lane on the I-205 bridge and some guy lost control and hit the piled up snow and it basically acted like a ramp and just launched his car over the side of the bridge

Anyway I’m saying f you’re right to be afraid of this, because I can think of two specific times I’ve heard of it happening, and usually in these cases where somebody is afraid of something like this I’ve never actually heard of it happening

Also sometimes when I’m crossing bridges and get stuck in traffic I ponder what would happen if an earthquake hit at right this exact moment

Bridges man, gently caress em. Man was not meant to cross bodies of water or deep gorges

stop building bridges

bodies of water were not meant to be crossed

wanted to cross anyway for a laugh? we had a tool for that: its called boats

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

lobster shirt posted:

stop building bridges

Boats are just water cars!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

dxt posted:

Boats are just water cars!

Surely the traditional boat is a water bus

E: the canoe is quite naturally the water bicycle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/henrykleeKTVU/status/1748174647395545558?t=71G38aNStzKCBWxW_s46ZA&s=19

https://twitter.com/FairfieldPolice/status/1748516656584822792?t=w-Wg0EVfIUo5GkFjuDXDNg&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow yeah a situation where distracted drivers could run over kids on bikes sounds bad.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

giving the game away that nothing would happen to the driver running over the kids

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

drivers are dangerous, therefore we simply have to arrest children and not the drivers

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

drivers are dangerous, therefore we simply have to arrest children and not the drivers

gun brain and car brain are often co-morbid

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

absolutely nothing society can do about this except plead with drivers to not cause death and mayhem

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
ran a red light this morning, a victimless crime

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

ran a red light this morning, a victimless crime

how many children and elderly did you plow through

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

always a loving truck

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HashtagGirlboss posted:

There was an article about a month ago in the local paper about a guy who ran off the road (texting I assume), landed under the bridge perfectly invisible to drivers, was pinned in his truck for a week and only lived because some fisherman were scouting out spots and happened upon him. Nightmarish stuff.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

if you report an unshoveled sidewalk in NYC it appears the rate at which action is taken on your report vs parking violations is in the neighborhood of 50,000%
why doesn't the city shovel sidewalks in America?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I don’t like the implication that panicked and distracted drivers are not necessarily bad drivers.

Anyway, arrest houses, because a panic, distracted driver could go right through the wall and end up in a child’s bedroom.

Rochallor posted:

There was an article about a month ago in the local paper about a guy who ran off the road (texting I assume), landed under the bridge perfectly invisible to drivers, was pinned in his truck for a week and only lived because some fisherman were scouting out spots and happened upon him. Nightmarish stuff.

Tillie Tooter did it first.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

always a loving truck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

always a loving truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQK6AcJxI8

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at this guy

quote:

laweijfmvo 9 minutes ago | next [–]

I recently backed into a parked car — not a big deal, just left it in Reverse while waiting for someone and then forgot. Bumped the car parked 12 inches behind me the entire time. If my car can’t figure out to “not do that”, then I have zero faith in any emergency braking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some cars at least will vibrate the steering wheel and/or beep to warn you if you're backing up into something. I don't know if they'll actually stop on their own in that situation because you don't usually need emergency braking at low speeds, but maybe they should if people are that dumb.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

turns out automotive violence is a load-bearing pillar of the American economy

https://x.com/adam_tooze/status/1748775146402230682

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Some cars at least will vibrate the steering wheel and/or beep to warn you if you're backing up into something. I don't know if they'll actually stop on their own in that situation because you don't usually need emergency braking at low speeds, but maybe they should if people are that dumb.

Any car with a modern backup camera will beat at you but none of them will auto break because sometimes the driver is doing it intentionally like bumping a garbage bin you don’t care to move, or backing through some kind of sheeting or intentionally running over someone who had the audacity to give you the finger when you drove through the crosswalk on a red light

Oh nevermind I guess some do. That would annoy me a lot because I’ll be damned if I want to move my neighbors recycle bin six inches

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jan 21, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yes, some cars do auto brake in reverse. many cedar branches have been spared a grazing by my prius. ive seen an acura do it, too

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol people get so mad when you even give them a "thumbs down" for doing stupid poo poo.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

lobster shirt posted:

stop building bridges

that's the problem, man is midas and everything we touch turns to cars (poo poo)

there's a type of cargo boat, called roll on roll off, frequently used for ferry work. they were invented to ship cars cheaply by having the cars drive directly onto and off the boat. the slang for them in the industry is roll on roll over, because they end up being a little more top heavy and have a lot of extra dangers if the precautions needed for sailing with a bunch of cargo that wants to roll around aren't taken seriously.

el faro is one of the more infamous recent examples. the ferry that rolled over and killed like 200 high school students in south korea was also a roll on roll off cargo ship converted to ferry passengers. basically el problemo es cars as well as el capitalism

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol people get so mad when you even give them a "thumbs down" for doing stupid poo poo.

Haha yeah it is a surreal experience

I'm not swearing at you, I'm not calling you a fat loving piece of poo poo or anything

A simple gesture lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
One time I had to travel for work, and the car rental place was all out of worker drone shitboxes. The only thing they had was a GM Denali Yukon XL, which was a loving nightmare to maneuver. It wouldn’t fit in the parking garage, and the hotel management told to park it in the handicap spot.

The only way to get that piece of poo poo out of the blind turn of the hotel’s exit was to carefully inch my way through a bike lane into a right turn, and while doing so an old guy on a bicycle in the lane slowed down and veered around me while giving me the most emphatic middle finger I’ve ever witnessed for a good 10 seconds, like just an incredible display of gently caress you, he was holding up that finger like Rafiki presenting baby Simba to the kingdom, that finger nerve-stapled his hatred deep into my neuronal circuitry next to the memory of taking my first dump and watching Goku go SSJ when I was a kid

if the rental place pulls that poo poo again I’m just going to walk, but I will never forget the badassery and justice of that man

386-SX 25Mhz VGA has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Jan 21, 2024