Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

saw a single car crash yesterday on the road that connects my neighborhood to the rest of the world. it's a narrow road, no shoulder, 35 mph limit, no passing, and is 0.75 miles long in total. lots of hills so visibility is poor. I have been passed on this road by pickups going 60 before.

in this case it was a BMW that careened into a telephone phone and smashed off the left half of the front of the car. dude was definitely going way too fast. there was a tow truck and not an ambulance so he was fine. what a loving dumbass hope his insurance skyrockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
fuckin white single cab fleet truck for 40k used, lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cat botherer posted:

fuckin white single cab fleet truck for 40k used, lmao

lol i just checked online, you can get a new f250 xl for like 45k. what a bargain for the used one!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t understand what NDRTaker is supposed to mean. Can someone explain at a level an absolute idiot (me) can understand?

Lmao goddamnit

And thanks!

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Jan 18, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t understand what NDRTaker is supposed to mean. Can someone explain at a level an absolute idiot (me) can understand?

Undertaker

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

in other countries, it's called "overtaking"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

lol i just checked online, you can get a new f250 xl for like 45k. what a bargain for the used one!

You can supposedy buy a new Subaru Outback for $26K too but you will never find one on a lot at that trim level

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

I thought that there's like a year long queue on new cars and that's why people are marking up used ones above MSRP.

Apr 7, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

I thought that there's like a year long queue on new cars and that's why people are marking up used ones above MSRP.

we used to joke about the Soviets doing that

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I went into the Trump thread to try and troll it but since I’m not a very good troll it didn’t really work out but now I keep opening it back up on accident and I know you don’t care about the backstory but I saw this pic in there just now

And it got me curious if there’s ever been a car design feature as obvious of a bad idea as cathedral doors on convertibles

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I went into the Trump thread to try and troll it but since I’m not a very good troll it didn’t really work out but now I keep opening it back up on accident and I know you don’t care about the backstory but I saw this pic in there just now

And it got me curious if there’s ever been a car design feature as obvious of a bad idea as cathedral doors on convertibles

yes, it's called the internal combustion engine

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lol

the reliant robin's three wheels seem pretty bad

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

"full self driving"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

HashtagGirlboss posted:

you can’t give up on the first troll attempt, give it another shot

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i don't want to go start my car because i'm afraid it won't start
the start of freedom

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

you can’t give up on the first troll attempt, give it another shot

Eh it wasn’t working. Apparently spelling out trumps full name and title correctly doesn’t rile them up as much as I figured it might

Doc Hawkins posted:

lol

the reliant robin's three wheels seem pretty bad

Not deadly enough

The Oldest Man posted:

"full self driving"

Yeah this one is probably right

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao goddamnit

And thanks!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

my bony fealty posted:

saw a single car crash yesterday on the road that connects my neighborhood to the rest of the world. it's a narrow road, no shoulder, 35 mph limit, no passing, and is 0.75 miles long in total. lots of hills so visibility is poor. I have been passed on this road by pickups going 60 before.

in this case it was a BMW that careened into a telephone phone and smashed off the left half of the front of the car. dude was definitely going way too fast. there was a tow truck and not an ambulance so he was fine. what a loving dumbass hope his insurance skyrockets.

This is always my hope when I see truly psychotic behavior and it's nice to get confirmation that there's a non-zero chance

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Talking about what kinds of cars Americans do or don't want to buy is meaningless in the face of the auto industry's ability to limit their choices and tell them what they want to buy through decades-long ad campaigns.

The kid across the street who bought that long bed F-250, his life is made worse in every way by that thing. He doesn't tow, he doesn't carry anything in the bed, they're all $30K+ used around here if they aren't rotting into the ground. He can't park it without shimmying it back and forth and the combined gas mileage is 13mpg on a good day. But if he drives anything else, that's extremely gay, so F-250 it is.

Seems much more convenient to simply be extremely gay tbh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
5 y/o ford trucks have estimated fmv of like 4 figures lmao

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm glad the vehicle stayed at the scene, that's going to make the car judge more lenient when it gets sentenced in car court. Shame that no person is responsible for this though!

https://www.cp24.com/news/teenage-boy-dies-after-being-struck-by-vehicle-in-vaughan-1.6731417

Probably some ginzo gently caress who still lives with his mama in Woodbridge but has a Maserati in her driveway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

the start of freedom

it finally warmed up so i walked out to the parking garage and started it yesterday. it worked, sadly

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Probably some ginzo gently caress who still lives with his mama in Woodbridge but has a Maserati in her driveway.

mama mia

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

tbf im pretty sure most internet postings for used cars on mega-lots are fake. probably the idea is someone shows up and asks hmm can u lower the price and they say sure, just for you beause we like the cut of your jib, we'll break-even and sell it to you for $37k! SOLD!

either that or wait till some overpaid computer toucher or someone with a big inheritance windfall with more money than sense just clicks BUY IT NOW! button and they get $$$$ out of it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

tbf im pretty sure most internet postings for used cars on mega-lots are fake. probably the idea is someone shows up and asks hmm can u lower the price and they say sure, just for you beause we like the cut of your jib, we'll break-even and sell it to you for $37k! SOLD!

either that or wait till some overpaid computer toucher or someone with a big inheritance windfall with more money than sense just clicks BUY IT NOW! button and they get $$$$ out of it

For whatever reason I’ve found that car dealerships are more willing to go up on your trade in than down on the sticker price idk why and maybe that’s just a small sample size (I’ve only purchased four cars in my life)

i say swears online posted:

they could have total revenue targets

Yeah they’re only gonna move so much and it doesn’t matter to the buyer what side they do it on but it could make a difference in the accounting

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Jan 19, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

For whatever reason I’ve found that car dealerships are more willing to go up on your trade in than down on the sticker price idk why and maybe that’s just a small sample size (I’ve only purchased four cars in my life)

they could have total revenue targets

Apr 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Same reason my realtor told me to offer concessions after the fact rather than reducing the sale price for work that had to be done - it increases the value of their product that they get paid commission on.

I sold my house for $199K. It needed $6k in sewer line work and I was going to discount the price by that much but my realtor went apeshit and said I should sell for full price and do the work out of the proceeds after the sale. Turns out a rising tide lifts all boats if you're a realtor or a car dealership.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Same reason my realtor told me to offer concessions after the fact rather than reducing the sale price for work that had to be done - it increases the value of their product that they get paid commission on.

I sold my house for $199K. It needed $6k in sewer line work and I was going to discount the price by that much but my realtor went apeshit and said I should sell for full price and do the work out of the proceeds after the sale. Turns out a rising tide lifts all boats if you're a realtor or a car dealership.

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the local Christian Evangelical sect here built the "Philippine Arena", the largest stadium in the region, for their large church gatherings, and they put it astride the national highway on the northern outskirts of Manila. When they use it, they hire lots and lots of buses to convey people to and fro the venue, but when it gets used for concerts or sports events there's no such provision and it's a huge mess

Bruno Mars had a concert here in 2023 and it caused traffic to back up for miles because the parking queues started to overflow onto the highway, and then people started to leave their cars just sitting on the highway rather than miss the show

anyway,

https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1748276731797225538

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1745755864366018903

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skill issue

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

chatgpt, generate an ai image of my child destroying all cars on the planet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So are they going to clear the sidewalks, or...?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Precambrian Video Games posted:

So are they going to clear the sidewalks, or...?

how about they start with helping up the person who they are instead taking pictures of

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey, look at this picture of us treating a kid like an abandoned baby seal

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

how about they start with helping up the person who they are instead taking pictures of

Photojournalists are selected by how hard they fail the Voight-Kampff test.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Saw a dude just walking in the road today, against traffic, in the left lane. All the cars were just merging to go around him, not even honking, he was parting the Gray Sea like Moses. Based as hell.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

They probably arrested the kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I drive to work around 5:45 every morning and typically see zero pedestrians.

therefore my idea is to make commute hours 4:30-6:00am and then 8:00pm onward. problem solved.