Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I like how the one season of the three completed ones that people were meh on is getting the most attention, in this thread for the new further one which only has one episode but tons to speculation about.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Also I somehow thought it was Vince that was in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 19, 2024

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bright Bart posted:

Also I somehow thought it was Vince that was in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. And having looked that up...

What the flying capital F happened to Val Kilmer? He looks like he got age-advancement surgery done by the the world's top expert doing their most impressive work yet. It's not just catching up to look his age from looking young. Man flew past that point and aged 45 years in less than 20.

I mean the man had pretty brutal throat cancer. I don’t even think he can speak any more.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Finally watched the first episode last night and yeah, I don’t have high expectations. I’m sure that it will be addressed at some point, but I don’t understand the logic of copying the Dyatlov Pass Incident in your season premier.

I never paid much attention to the plagiarism discourse in season one, because honestly who cares, but it feels weird to present these events without having a character acknowledge the historical parallel. I’d expect it to come, but until then I’m going to wonder if it’s going to be addressed.

I did find the stuff about representing Navarro’s masculine dispositions through her sexual activity interesting, if not a bit overt. Whatever, I love overtness. The actor playing Navarro is so ripped and her partner was so soft that the images of their bodies together conveyed the sentiment alone.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Danger posted:

I mean the man had pretty brutal throat cancer. I don’t even think he can speak any more.

Capital F me, sorry

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, I’m glad that post-Game of Thrones actors don’t have to be nude if they don’t want to be. How inconceivable it would have been ten years ago for the premiere of a high-profile hbo series to not have tits in it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I watched all 3 seasons of TD as they aired, and I've re-watched them all once (S1 twice).

S1: Was amazing as it aired and it hasn't lost any shine on 2 re-watches.

S2: Was mediocre to bad as it aired. On a re-watch it was much better, and it benefited greatly from binge watching, rather than once a week. It's still a big step down from S1, but I'd recommend it now, which I wouldn't have done right after it aired.

S3: Was good but not great as it aired. On re-watch it's about the same, but it felt a little flabby.

S4: Leaning a bit too far into the supernatural for my taste, but otherwise off to a good, but not great start.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I watched all 3 seasons for the first time in the lead up to the season 4 premiere. Season 1 didn't seem as amazing as it was always held up as, I figure watercooler talk helped it a lot at the time, but a lot of better TV has come out since that makes it pale a bit in comparison I think. Season 2 didn't seem as bad as it was put down as, I figure watercooler talk didn't help it in this case, but it still is quite a tonal shift that I can understand the whiplash. Season 3 seems pretty appropriately regarded as perfectly fine. And I'm also apprehensive about the start of season 4, but I'll see where it goes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

th3t00t posted:

S4: Leaning a bit too far into the supernatural for my taste

Maybe if people keep saying this we'll get

SE04E03: Peter discovers that psychoactive chemicals in the water supply have led to mass hallucinations by the people of Ennis. He realizes that he has imagined Danvers, Navarro, and even his own father. The tainted water is coming from the mine, but after meeting mine boss Maggie he suspects that something more than cutting overhead is at play, and that she might not be working alone.

Honestly I haven't commented too much on the seemingly supernatural elements because I might be missing some important, cool Indigenous Alaskan cultural context. That said, I really hope they had an advisor who knew what they were talking about, and that the showrunners and writers didn't go with 'Do the Iñupiat believe in ancestral spirits? They probably do. And they probably dance to communicate.'

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jehde posted:

I watched all 3 seasons for the first time in the lead up to the season 4 premiere. Season 1 didn't seem as amazing as it was always held up as, I figure watercooler talk helped it a lot at the time, but a lot of better TV has come out since that makes it pale a bit in comparison I think. Season 2 didn't seem as bad as it was put down as, I figure watercooler talk didn't help it in this case, but it still is quite a tonal shift that I can understand the whiplash. Season 3 seems pretty appropriately regarded as perfectly fine. And I'm also apprehensive about the start of season 4, but I'll see where it goes.
Such as? I'm fishing for recommendations, not saying you're wrong.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

th3t00t posted:

I want recommendations but I don't think me & OP's tastes overlap much.

I re-watched Season One and it's still absolutely stellar, not just solid. I guess I'm invested in it being a good show but I'm also no kind of superfan or anything.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i feel like TD has been connected not just to Epstein, but prefiguring Epstein...in a causal sense..

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

th3t00t posted:

I mean the obvious recommendation is another cinematographic crime anthology series that started a month after, and continues to be amazing: Fargo. But also for other random crime series that have had seasons that stood out for me as top tier TV since: Better Call Saul, Mr Robot, Narcos, Night Manager, Babylon Berlin, Barry, Black Bird. There's a lot of really good TV out there these days.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jehde posted:

I mean the obvious recommendation is another cinematographic crime anthology series that started a month after, and continues to be amazing: Fargo. But also for other random crime series that have had seasons that stood out for me as top tier TV since: Better Call Saul, Mr Robot, Narcos, Night Manager, Babylon Berlin, Barry, Black Bird. There's a lot of really good TV out there these days.
Fargo, BCS and Barry are great shows. I wasn't all that impressed with Narcos. Haven't seen the rest.

I'd say Fargo S4 is worse than any season of TD so far...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gammorah is fantastico

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gangs of London (season 1 only!!)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

This is a bit out of nowhere but there's a show on the BBC called "Guilt" that I recently saw and it reminded me of TD. It's a dark comedy rather than a police thriller but it does have interesting plot twists and has that same dark, spartan aesthetic.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
True Detective season 1 for me is the best self contained one season of any show. There are better seasons out there (leftovers season 2) but they were part of longer running narratives. As a stand alone one season and done, TD1 is my favorite by a wide margin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

joepinetree posted:

True Detective season 1 for me is the best self contained one season of any show. There are better seasons out there (leftovers season 2) but they were part of longer running narratives. As a stand alone one season and done, TD1 is my favorite by a wide margin.

I might say Station Eleven, but True Detective S1 is definitely very, very high up on the pedestal for me.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

joepinetree posted:

True Detective season 1 for me is the best season of any show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I AM GRANDO posted:

You know, I’m glad that post-Game of Thrones actors don’t have to be nude if they don’t want to be. How inconceivable it would have been ten years ago for the premiere of a high-profile hbo series to not have tits in it.
TBH having sex with a top on is a fantastic way to indicate that there is zero intimacy in this relationship. I don't think I've ever seen a sex scene give so much characterization in so little time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Not great. The first few minutes gave me some The Terror vibes (and a little Resident Evil lol) but after that it was a rote introduction of too many boring characters, dull writing, mediocre performances and very little narrative momentum. I’m going to wait on the reviews for the rest of it before watching more

Edit:
The soundtrack was weirdly obnoxious too

Agreed. I actually liked the intro, but the soundtrack was so invasive. When that woman started yowling in one scene I thought it was the start of yet another morose song. The show has style, but no substance, and like other people have mentioned I feel like it's trying to make us root for obviously terrible people and I think it's going to do it without a shred of awareness.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DaveKap posted:

TBH having sex with a top on is a fantastic way to indicate that there is zero intimacy in this relationship. I don't think I've ever seen a sex scene give so much characterization in so little time.

This post has so many red flags.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
True Detective might not be up to form yet but this thread definitely is.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I have this silly, silly wish that Season One went full noir and ended with Hart getting taken out by Maserati cop. The POS realizes there might be a hitman coming after him as a result, but well you can't exactly turn off being a hothead POS even if it's to your own survival benefit.

It's left ambiguous whether Marty dies happy knowing he reconciled with everyone close to him, or if that was in the cards but not quite there yet and he goes with important things unaccomplished.

Then the main theme plays.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 20, 2024

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Bright Bart posted:

I have this silly, silly wish that Season One went full noir and ended with Hart getting taken out by Maserati cop. The POS realizes there might be a hitman coming after him as a result, but well you can't exactly turn off being a hothead POS even if it's to your survival benefit.

It's left ambiguous whether Marty dies happy knowing he reconciled with everyone close to him, or if that was in the cards but not quiet yhere yet and he goes with important things unaccomplished.

Or the season plays out exactly as it did except Rust wakes up at the end. He’s on the floor in his shack behind the bar. Same pile of Lonestar beer can figurines that he carved at the interview around him. Rust and the audience realize at that same time that there was no interview, he never solved the case or reconciled with Marty. It was all a drunken delusion or a dream.

He cracks open one more beer. Passes out again and asphyxiates on his own vomit.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

th3t00t posted:

Or the season plays out exactly as it did except Rust wakes up at the end. He’s on the floor in his shack behind the bar. Same pile of Lonestar beer can figurines that he carved at the interview around him. Rust and the audience realize at that same time that there was no interview, he never solved the case or reconciled with Marty. It was all a drunken delusion or a dream.

He cracks open one more beer. Passes out again and asphyxiates on his own vomit.

Meet me in Temecula.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Liking the cast and the setting, but that sure was a lot of people seeing weird poo poo to an extent that seems ridiculous.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tigers Are Not Afraid is a four star movie to me so I’m still on board but that first ep definitely tempered my expectations

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve been watching season two, and I think it’s good. I got bored after the meth lab explosion in 2015 and gave up, but watching now it’s some kind of take on noir stuff. Some of the dialogue seems to border on parody or some kind of commentary on the genre, and that isn’t very much fun, but it’s not bad by any means.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

ruddiger posted:

Tigers Are Not Afraid is a four star movie to me so I’m still on board but that first ep definitely tempered my expectations

My reply is to this whole thread. I believe that the studio bigwigs had a heavy hand in episode 1. TD is a highly regarded property and with a new unseasoned showrunner, the studio is calling the shots.

Opening scene of crappy CGI animals is not a creative, artistic, or visionary decision. It reeks of committee thinking. Like having a young popular starlet do the theme song.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bad cg animals were probably to save budget money to spend on something else. They could have been obscured a little better, but maybe the story needed to see their eyes moving and focusing on stuff--who knows?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't mind if they go full Twin Peaks in this season for a change, just wish they weren't so blunt about it. A ghost found the bodies? Come on.

As for S2 it was just a waste of time. I somehow watched 9 episodes hoping that it will get good and realized that it won't. Never even watched the finale because I didn't care how it ends.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Bad cg animals were probably to save budget money to spend on something else. They could have been obscured a little better, but maybe the story needed to see their eyes moving and focusing on stuff--who knows?

I know. this season is gonna stink lol

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This season is gonna own*, nerds. Take your negative Nancy stuff elsewhere!

* I reserve the right to change my mind at 10pm tonight

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Those human-like expressions on the deer faces reminded me of the CGI Lion King remake Disney made, and how those animals with intentionally human personalities were made to look 100% realistic with no human facial expressions on them at all. Basically both of these went in the complete opposite artistic approach that they have gone. Though in the case of True Detective, they of course don't have the funds Disney has.

Regardless, that was what was going through my mind as I loled at that scene

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I just remember being so unable to follow S2's mystery week-to-week that towards the end of it I had no interest in any of the characters and was laughing my head off at Vince Vaughn walking in the desert to his death. And rolled eyes when Colin gets himself killed because he wanted to see his son play softball one last time.

Probably does do better in a binge, and definitely would watch better going into it not expecting it to be as solid as the first.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I might be the only who thinks that the guy was just embarrassed to cum too quickly, and she didn't care =)
But she did care subconsciously, which is why she took his toothbrush.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

DangerDongs posted:

I think I might be the only who thinks that the guy was just embarrassed to cum too quickly, and she didn't care =)
But she did care subconsciously, which is why she took his toothbrush.

I thought it was either this or the didn’t want to risk pregnancy but both were just excuses to feel less uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
weird but apparently Travis was spelling out the words "Reggie Ledoux" using the universal language of interpretive dance. Weirdest of all it was with a Texas drawl.