Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

I personally didn’t like how “human” Aura was. It was at odds with the whole “Chinese Room” vibe her henchmen or that flashback little girl demon or the trio that Flamme murked had which sold Frieren’s description of how demons work. Instead she just kinda seems like a smug rear end in a top hat. A jerk yes, but more in a “spoiled evil princess” way than a “T-800/1000 in infiltration mode” way.

Huh? There was not nearly enough about the flashback trio to get any reading about them. For those we saw more of, she feels inline with the other demons when there were actually fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

galagazombie posted:

I personally didn’t like how “human” Aura was. It was at odds with the whole “Chinese Room” vibe her henchmen or that flashback little girl demon or the trio that Flamme murked had which sold Frieren’s description of how demons work. Instead she just kinda seems like a smug rear end in a top hat. A jerk yes, but more in a “spoiled evil princess” way than a “T-800/1000 in infiltration mode” way.

She's been presented as smug and overconfident as all the other demons we've seen so far have been. She was extra overconfident with Frieren based on her previous encounter with Himmel and his party and the fact that they had to run away from the fight because they couldn't defeat her. Qual was as overconfident, but the difference is that he was a fast learner and was able to pivot when he realized things were different.

Also Frieren remarked that Aura being over 500 is long-lived for a demon, and given that she has an army of corpses under her control and demon underlings, it's not a stretch to say that in addition to having killed countless humans, she's killed more than a few demons in her time to get to the position of power she was currently in.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

She lived longer so knows to act more human than some noobs only doing it for a hundred years.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

She lived longer so knows to act more human than some noobs only doing it for a hundred years.

Or at the minimum, send someone who can do it for her, ie the "peace envoy".

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Re: Aura, it always stuck with me how after Frieren explains how she's been perfectly hiding her mana in perpetuity for most of her life that Aura's immediate, kneejerk reaction isn't one of awe or begrudging reverence of what she accomplished, or even increased fear borne from the implication of what she was saying. Her reaction was one of confusion. "Wait, why would you do that??? :confused: "

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

Re: Aura, it always stuck with me how after Frieren explains how she's been perfectly hiding her mana in perpetuity for most of her life that Aura's immediate, kneejerk reaction isn't one of awe or begrudging reverence of what she accomplished, or even increased fear borne from the implication of what she was saying. Her reaction was one of confusion. "Wait, why would you do that??? :confused: "

Yeah, like Flamme says, to demons, mana is basically how they base their status. If we use her equating it to humans and wealth, it'd be like if a celebrity or one of those loving billionaires dressed like hobos. Why would you? As the saying goes, if you've got it, flaunt it.

Frieren (and Flamme and Fern) are basically perpetually going "oh golly I hope I don't get attacked by demons" like Bugs Bunny luring Elmer Fudd into a pit... only the pit is a death beam

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 17, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

One thing I liked about the last episode was Frieren's remark that she has lost a bunch of times to people with less mana, which just kinda makes the demons view of it incorrect. The demons spend their whole lives thinking about how more mana = more strength without taking into consideration any other aspects.

And if you wanna take it further, you can squint and apply this to the human society too. There is more to living than just gathering money or surface level things, life has a lot of intricacies and that is basically what Frieren is learning about during her journey.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah himmel was certainly not rich despite being the savior of mankind. He had no elaborate state funeral with a giant monument.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I mean, his house isn't a shack or anything but its not that nice

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I kind of figured elves were Tolkienesque in that their lifespan was indefinite and their apparent age was a reflection of their mental age.

Frieren is minimum a thousand years old since she was an accomplished mage who could beat a demon general when she met Flamme a thousand years ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah himmel was certainly not rich despite being the savior of mankind. He had no elaborate state funeral with a giant monument.

They couldn't afford a giant monument for Himmel because the kingdoms all spent way, way too much money building hundreds statues dedicated to him wherever he decided to stop and strike a pose.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Himmel certainly thought there ought to be many statues of him as the destined hero, even though he totally was not that and just put up a brave front so people would have hope.

I wonder how he gathered Eisen into his party, we might never know because it's not important to Frieren. Although she might know, they could have talked about it sometime in the ten years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

There's plenty of these memes going around but this particular one sent me back.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Alternate title for this episode: Frieren Wins By Doing Absolutely Nothing :v:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
While I get that it would ruin the plot of multiple episodes, people not putting two and two together when an elf, a being rare enough Freiren thought she may be the last, comes up and says "hi, I'm Freiren," feels like a bit of a contrivance. I feel like everyone should immediately know who she is, especially with statues of her everywhere.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

While I get that it would ruin the plot of multiple episodes, people not putting two and two together when an elf, a being rare enough Freiren thought she may be the last, comes up and says "hi, I'm Freiren," feels like a bit of a contrivance. I feel like everyone should immediately know who she is, especially with statues of her everywhere.

she spent almost a millenia in obscurity. She had to be dragged out of the woods by Himmel and even after they saved the world, she booked it to go collecting housecleaning spells.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think most of the statues are of Himmel, and as we know from Kraft's and Flamme's statue things like names/gender get lost / etc. She was known at a bunch of stops in the first cour, but I like the idea of her just fading into obscurity because she doesn't seek fame.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I guess my problem is more the elf-thing than anything else. I feel like The Council of God King Mages should know that 1) elves are long lived, 2) they're rare enough people probably wouldn't even know about them if Freiren hadn't been in the heroes party, and 3) Frieren the Hero Mage looks and acts identically to this new elf mage that just showed up and signs all her paperwork as "Frieren". It could be spoilers for later, maybe there's magic to change your appearance so fake-elves or even fake-Frierens are a known problem in the wider magical community, or it's a commentary on the Magic Association or something, I just thought it was weird.

It's definitely not ruining the show for me, I just roll my eyes a little, especially when it's from people that I feel should know, and especially given the wonderful world-building in the story as a whole.

Also, anime-only speculation on the weird elf in both OPs, but that's gotta be the Demon King, right?

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Well, for one thing, are you absolutely sure that nobody involved with the test knows who frieren is? I don't think we've really seen enough from the magic association to actually say that. A couple of the test proctors don't know, and frieren's teammates (who are teenagers) don't seem to either. None of the other test-takers would necessarily have looked at her closely or heard her name.

On the other hand, the old mage who saw frieren's necklace definitely knew something. It's unclear at this time whether he figured out who frieren was after seeing the necklace, or just recognized the necklace.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

So far we have only met two elves and both of them are mostly forgotten by history. One of the big themes of this show is that Human lifetimes are extremely finite, but also that human memory is also extremely limited.

The only people that have remembered Frieren in any of these episodes have either met her before or had a family member who met her. Otherwise, she is just another mystery.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I guess my problem is more the elf-thing than anything else. I feel like The Council of God King Mages should know that 1) elves are long lived, 2) they're rare enough people probably wouldn't even know about them if Freiren hadn't been in the heroes party, and 3) Frieren the Hero Mage looks and acts identically to this new elf mage that just showed up and signs all her paperwork as "Frieren". It could be spoilers for later, maybe there's magic to change your appearance so fake-elves or even fake-Frierens are a known problem in the wider magical community, or it's a commentary on the Magic Association or something, I just thought it was weird.

It's definitely not ruining the show for me, I just roll my eyes a little, especially when it's from people that I feel should know, and especially given the wonderful world-building in the story as a whole.

Also, anime-only speculation on the weird elf in both OPs, but that's gotta be the Demon King, right?

There have already been instances of both humans and demons who have met Frieren in the past who didn't realize that the Frieren in front of them now was the same Frieren from then.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that a lot of people have only read about Frieren and have no idea what she looks like, and for those that knew Himmel and Heiter died, to think that the entire party is dead because of time. Frieren was nobody until the defeat of the Demon King, and she immediately hosed off into obscurity afterwards. Even at Himmel's funeral, there were people there who were like "hey is that the elf mage that was in his party?". And from what has been shown so far, all the statues they've come across have been of just Himmel, so there's nothing to reinforce what Frieren looks like, and enough time has passed that people don't know who Himmel is by sight alone (i.e. his statues).

It also wouldn't be a stretch for someone to come across a mage named Frieren and just assumed someone named their kid Frieren because they were a mage otaku; I'm sure there are tons of Himmels running around out there.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Popped off when Freiren did what she does best

Sit down and zone out for a couple hours

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People know who Frieren is if they care. She's part of history, but she's a B-tier part of history, so people only really know who she is if they're personally connected to her or they're students of history.

How many generals who served under George Washington can you name?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

People know who Frieren is if they care. She's part of history, but she's a B-tier part of history, so people only really know who she is if they're personally connected to her or they're students of history.

How many generals who served under George Washington can you name?

Lafayette, Arnold, and Lee off the top of my head.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

von Steuben cause he funny as hell

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Fern is really showing how much Frieren has rubbed off on her personality with how she's reacting and talking during the fight at the end of this latest episode, and to some degree how she was behaving throughout the episode. Just kind of calm and sleepy sounding there just like Frieren usually is. I guess some of that could be attributed to her being around strangers instead of the party she's been traveling with for a long time.

I admit to being a bit freaked out by "ordinary offensive magic" being tossed around in these fights knowing that it can penetrate through anything that isn't a magical defense and just annihilate people.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Fern is really showing how much Frieren has rubbed off on her personality with how she's reacting and talking during the fight at the end of this latest episode, and to some degree how she was behaving throughout the episode. Just kind of calm and sleepy sounding there just like Frieren usually is. I guess some of that could be attributed to her being around strangers instead of the party she's been traveling with for a long time.

Well, Frieren is the closest thing Fern has to a (living) parent, so it's not very surprising.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Fern fighting Ludger was some hard Fireren enemy vibes with her just walking and blasting with no expression.
Also like how they low key show her trait that she loves snacks. It’s like her one joy keeping her going on the journey with Frieren

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 19, 2024

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I also liked ninja mage moving super fast and doing classic anime fast movement stuff. Fun to see each mage have one main gimmick and stick to it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If you really want spoilers, either send me a PM or else head over to the manga thread. Otherwise wait. They will be revealed by the end of this season AFAIK.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004
I got to be honest, Ubel is really starting to grow on me. Yeah she’s a little too excited about fighting other mages but she isn’t really being a jerk about it. She was willing to wait it out until a bunch of other mages started being assholes. In those instances, you probably want the serial killer mage on your side.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Frieren did save the world but that was what, 80 years ago? That's forever ago in human terms.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

In a Dan Halen voice: The point is, people are dumb.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
there's no way monocle knows who frieren is if he's willing to pick a fight with her

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

there's no way monocle knows who frieren is if he's willing to pick a fight with her

Maybe he's just willing to throw down with anyone, any time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe he's just willing to throw down with anyone, any time.

Well until we see him throw down I think Frieren can crush him easily. I also think Fern will be fine, and I predict her team will win.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kind of cute how the two killers immediately locked onto each other

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Frieren surpassing her mana to 0 that even animals next to her think she's a bush or rock, and don't sense her is wild.
And the girl Fern is fighting with bragging that the guy fights random demon soldiers lol. While Fern has a co-general or whatever kill under her belt, as well as countless monster hunts, lol.

Guess all the mages know that getting a slight cut under the cheek is badass, so they all let it happen. Glasses guy just adjust his glasses while he takes the cut.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 20, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nebrilos posted:

Frieren did save the world but that was what, 80 years ago? That's forever ago in human terms.

Himmel saved the world; Frieren was just the elf who hung around with him.

No but seriously Frieren's entire modus operandi is about not being remembered as the one you need to watch out for.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
To put it in terms you’ll understand,

Frieren doesn’t have instagram. She doesn’t have tiktok or a Facebook, not tumblr before nor after the yahoo purchase. She never had a MySpace or even an ICQ number. Frieren posted a few choice comments on a Usenet threat once about an obscure topic, and the nerds there took it from there and invented a whole field of murder and defense-against-murder magic.

The last time Frieren posted on social media was to complain about Ghengis Khans invasion, and that involved scrolls.

Meanwhile Kraft made a fortune off of Ea-Nasir’s copper

Of course nobody knows who these people are, they’re characters in stories.

If a guy showed up and told you he was Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin you’d have a similar response.