Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do think the loyalty thing is perhaps a side of the story people aren't focusing on cause part of it was the idea that companies would keep talent on even when old and give them office jobs. Now that wasn't always the case but with the big companies being corporate and the story about Nakanishi working at a gas station it does feel like stars are realizing they need to make money now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, I don't blame the wrestlers for getting the bag, but it won't stop me being sad seeing guys I like watching go on hiatus to the bad companies to have matched with ad breaks stuck in the middle of them.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

I mean AEW didn't exist when Okada became a huge star. And the Japanese industry wasn't in the dirt. But with conditions as they are in America & Japan, this is basically true now.

You have to read it incredibly uncharitably to think that tweet belongs in this thread :shrug:

I guess it’s more the reading of “Oh, now that Okada’s popular every other company wants him!” as if he hasn’t been wildly popular for like a decade or whatever. Dude has been there forever and has done it all, it’s natural to want to get out and do something else if people want to pay you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Okadas legendary year, the best single year in wrestling history, was 7 years ago.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

also while Covid attendance caps, slow tickets, and New Japan/Bushiroad/NOAH/Cyberagent doing dumb stuff probably has affected things....In the end it probably just sped things up just cause WWE and AEW get actual real TV rights money and the Japanese companies don't. The end game sadly probably is like what happened to smaller soccer leagues, Japan's Baseball league and European Hockey leagues in that they'll be around but they won't have the money to compete with the big leagues

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kevin is wrong a lot but this takes the cake. What kind of sick individual wants Tsuji to stop smiling?

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1748412006846140762

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gedo is kicking himself, never having considered "make business hot" before.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I actually do think NJPW moves glacially slow when it comes to trying to make new stars. The nicknames rule though. Roughneck sounds cool and Gene Blast makes about as much sense as Great Bash Heel (I mean they’re both cool)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tsuji smiling is the best and it just adds so much to the matches when he does cool curb stomp combo and also when he eats poo poo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

forkboy84 posted:

Sissy Gedo of failing New Japan Pro Wrestling and owner of bad food restaurants has a problem-his V.F. Oscar party is no longer "hot" - donald trump kevin kelly

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hard agree Boltin should have beaten Zack for the TV belt. Brock Lesnar that big motherfucker, Gooch can teach him a character along the way

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Seams posted:

I actually do think NJPW moves glacially slow when it comes to trying to make new stars. The nicknames rule though. Roughneck sounds cool and Gene Blast makes about as much sense as Great Bash Heel (I mean they’re both cool)

Meanwhile they're freaking out over the loss of a guy who won the top belt in only his second ppv match after a god awful first match. Okada is like example one of if you are going to pull the trigger don't hesitate and New Japan now has a flashing sign for move fast. Start with Naito dropping the belt to Shingo asap.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Roughneck seems like the thing that might come off a bit dorky to an American but cool as hell to the Japanese audience. Also Shota Umino is cool as hell

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My main takeaway from WrestleKingdom as a lapsed fan is that the future is now and they have the potential for a hot year with young talent.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Gumball Gumption posted:

Roughneck seems like the thing that might come off a bit dorky to an American but cool as hell to the Japanese audience. Also Shota Umino is cool as hell

The Travis Touchdown of wrestling of non-video game people?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I don't blame the wrestlers for getting the bag, but it won't stop me being sad seeing guys I like watching go on hiatus to the bad companies to have matched with ad breaks stuck in the middle of them.

get fite tv

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Me, a genius: "Have you considered... making money?" :smugdog:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SG Bamboo posted:

Kevin is wrong a lot but this takes the cake. What kind of sick individual wants Tsuji to stop smiling?

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1748412006846140762

lmao this is the mindset that would have kept Orange Cassidy off tv

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dawgstar posted:

Me, a genius: "Have you considered... making money?" :smugdog:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

lmao this is the mindset that would have kept Orange Cassidy off tv

Clearly what attracts casual viewers to wrestling is treating it as a DEADLY SERIOUS COMBAT SPORT, please ignore the hundreds of examples of this not being the case.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Clearly what attracts casual viewers to wrestling is treating it as a DEADLY SERIOUS COMBAT SPORT, please ignore the hundreds of examples of this not being the case.

every face should be a no-nonsense rear end kicking babyface who's entrance is to sprint to the ring and immediately start beating on the heel

every heel should be a slimey piece of poo poo with a wimpy manager to do their promos and run interference for them

those can be the only two wrestling archetypes, none other

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
dave is arguing on twitter again...

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

good someine has too

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Cool, thanks for keeping us informed. Make sure you add some updates for when the sun rises and sets.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Dave’s twitter is the best because he just likes wrestling and hates weirdos making it unhealthily factional. :shobon:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Trent is paid by the ratings

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I like the ones thinking of Dave as the Star Ratings guy and not this guy who has papers on his desk about the last time each promotion has had a tag team betrayal and every winner of every battle royal on standby.

Somebody has to be the one saying "please stop comparing things to WCW"

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Maybe if NJPW didn't want to not have the money to pay Okada then they shouldn't have put the title on a vanilla charisma vacuum or keep having house of torture exist.

Also sir William Black is the champion of my heart

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Duke Pukem posted:

get fite tv

If I had more time to throw at wrestling I'd watch Marvelous on Zaiko before I'd pay to watch a show with MJF, the Hardys, Guevara, Jericho, etc too many i don't care abou5

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

What does "pull trigger on despy" mean in that kk tweet. Is that some nickname he had, or is having him beat hiromu at wrestle kingdom not pulling the trigger on him. Does Kevin want njpw to skip him up to heavyweight or something.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Clearly El Desperado needs to be executed gangland style

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

What does "pull trigger on despy" mean in that kk tweet. Is that some nickname he had, or is having him beat hiromu at wrestle kingdom not pulling the trigger on him. Does Kevin want njpw to skip him up to heavyweight or something.

Kevin wants New Japan to turn into a deathmatch company & push Despy as there top guy. And honestly, who can't get down with that?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kevin Kelly is a goddamn mark and libertarian

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Can't believe Tiny Con put a gun to Joe's head and forced him to let his move get kicked out of at 1 against his will

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I hate wrestling fans so loving much

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hook started shooting.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
dave is arguign on twitter again...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hook shoot kicked out of the shoot muscle buster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

AEW is the most dangerous wrestling company in the world with noted shooters HOOK and Hangman Page prowling the halls looking for victims