Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

It feels like these quick fixes for the apocalypse don't last very well, half an hour there's end of the world leaking in again.

On one hand Prishe didn't want to fix it which is what we are dealing with now and on the other there wasn't any real fix to begin with and we lucked out with Altana stopping Promathia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

Anyway I'm not messing with this thing right now, I've gotta get back to Esha'ntarl.

If you continue the expansions in order, plus throw in some Abyssea for the lulz, then zooping to Adoulin will be a looooooong time from now.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 96. Across The Limitless Eternity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now flows innocent blood
On Vana'diel, a vast land
The entire world trembles
In despair from the scourge

Prevented
By no fate
Stopped
By no strength

But through the stormy night
Behold: a star of glory shines!
Against a brutal outcry
Behold: a hymn springs forth!

A shining star, a ringing song:
Dream and pray for us!

Hand and hand together
Across the limitless eternity
We will no longer be put asunder
We will no longer be bound!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Ode: Distant Promises

A Realm of Emptiness

Next time: The end

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Get dunked on, thou nerdes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 97. A Broken Heart Made Whole

One Last Time

May we never meet again.

Prelude

How on Vana'diel do you know about that?

I don't know if you helped or it was just Lion's pure willpower alone, but thank you Altana.

The Grand Duchy of Jeuno

Same here honestly, but I'm relieved to be wrong.

One Last Time

Mostly Ulmia.

I mean not really but hey he's offering. It would be rude not to.

Magnetic and Ethereal Earrings are still best in slot for certain Rune Fencer and Paladin tanking situations. Ethereal is also good for a Red Mage idle set.

Oh?

Well Selh'teus did say she would have some rough dreams... It wouldn't hurt to go rough up Diabolos though. Probably.

I'll get on that tomorrow. I'm off to have a sleep of my own.

Shadow Lord

<To be continued in Dynamis>

Next time: A new nightmare

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I feel like you're a lot better than me at making screenshots look nice and clean and sharp and uniform and it makes me insanely jealous :lol: Fantastic work on these updates. I need to make time to post itt more often than not at all.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Happy one year anniversary thread! Thanks for reading 3 whole games(as short as the first two are)!

Boy has this been a learning experience as a first Let's Play. The worst idea for a first Let's Play! Chains I think is the quality I want to aim for through this thing. Audio issues in videos are fixed, text boxes are nicer, I interact with the story in a way where you can just ignore my text if you want. Yeah this feels about right. I need to up the OBS quality on the boss videos, file size be damned. Remind me to do that or something. The biggest goal of this thing is to archive the story of Final Fantasy 11 in a way that doesn't wholly depend on video, if I happen to tell a nice story for Visaria too that's great. Really I just want everyone to be able to enjoy this game and this feels like the best format for it. One thing I would like to do when I have time is go back (also going forward) and add related reading links to all the updates for easy looking up of things.

Anyway, one year and 5,551 dead crabs. This next year should see us through Treasures and Wings at the very least. They are longer than Chains. Yay.

Dynamis is next and should be like 5ish updates followed by a few Rhapsodies. Then we get to Treasures and the best way I can describe how Treasures is going to work is a bunch of spinning plates all at once.

Anyway PurpleXVI if your magic IK powers let you update the title go ahead and give us our new Crab count of 5551, if not I'll bug Fedule later.

Thanks again everyone!

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 20, 2024

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fat and Useless posted:

Boy has this been a learning experience as a first Let's Play. The worst idea for a first Let's Play! Chains I think is the quality I want to aim for through this thing. Audio issues in videos are fixed, text boxes are nicer, I interact with the story in a way where you can just ignore my text if you want. Yeah this feels about right. I need to up the OBS quality on the boss videos, file size be damned. Remind me to do that or something. The biggest goal of this thing is to archive the story of Final Fantasy 11 in a way that doesn't wholly depend on video, if I happen to tell a nice story for Visaria too that's great. Really I just want everyone to be able to enjoy this game and this feels like the best format for it. One thing I would like to do when I have time is go back (also going forward) and add related reading links to all the updates for easy looking up of things.

I know all these feels.

You're an absolute gem and an inspiration F&U. I'd probably never have learned a single thing about this game that wasn't in the 14 crossover without the work you've done here. Here's hoping for another triumphant year. <3

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Sanguinia posted:

I know all these feels.

You're an absolute gem and an inspiration F&U. I'd probably never have learned a single thing about this game that wasn't in the 14 crossover without the work you've done here. Here's hoping for another triumphant year. <3

Thank you for inspiring me with the 14 trip. I've wanted to do this for a couple years and finally managed to get off my rear end and do this for the people who have never seen this before.

Sanguinia posted:

I feel like you're a lot better than me at making screenshots look nice and clean and sharp and uniform and it makes me insanely jealous :lol: Fantastic work on these updates. I need to make time to post itt more often than not at all.

My text boxes are crap though. I blame 11 and its obtuse chat window controls for this mostly but I could mod in nice text boxes and different fonts. Heck there is even FF14 style bubble text boxes available to mod in, they would just get in the way of the screenshot though. I clean up roughly half the text boxes in paint fixing letters that get eaten by the window and adjusting line placement, some expansions are REALLY bad about one sentence being broken into three lines where the middle line is a single word. There has to be a better fix and one day I'll find it but not today!

Screw it I'm feeling nice. You all get a write up.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 20, 2024

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Miscellaneous Chapter 3: Gear

Probably my favorite chocobo theme

I'm dreading even starting to write this. Okay so first off let me say this:

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CARE ABOUT ANY OF THIS TO ENJOY 95% OF FINAL FANTASY 11

Playing at your peak is cool for some people and getting the best gear is nice and feels good! You know what else is cool and sexy? Enjoying the game.

You as an adventurer have 12 gear slots

Main Hand - Off Hand - Ranged - Ammo
Head - Neck - Ear -Ear
Chest - Gloves - Ring - Ring
Back - Belt - Legs - Boots

Main Hand: Your main melee weapon is what a bunch of stuff goes off of like special Weaponskill effects.

Off Hand: If you dual wield this is a one hand weapon, shields exist for those who don't. Using a two hand weapon? This slot will use grips which give bonus stats both physical and magical flavor.

Ranged: Guns, bows, boomerangs. When you use ranged attack this fires off, this slot gets its own Weaponskills too.

Ammo: Bullets, bolts, and arrows. Not using a weapon with ammo? There are little bobbles like off hand's grips that give extra stats. Once your ammo is out you need to manually reload it, 99 ammo in the slot max. You can swap bullets/arrows/bolts to special bullets/arrows/bolts with high stats on them, they are very expensive and you want to try to not auto fire them.

When changing a weapon you lose all TP you have stored making swapping weapons not the best choice in combat.

Chest/Gloves/Legs/Boots/Head: These are your big stat chunks and also where your AF sets gather with their powerful effects. Jobs tend to chunk together in what they wear aside from unique AF gear. A Warrior can probably use a Paladin designed piece, a Black Mage can probably wear a White Mage or Scholar stat-heavy armor. More on why this is important later.

Rings/Earrings: Mainly focus on one real stat like Dex and then a couple strong other effects like extra dual wield skill or triple attack as examples. Most of the time you can't wear the same ring or earring in both slots(or even carry). This is called being "Rare" and shows up as a little circle in the item description.

Belt/Neck: Like rings and earrings but only one each. There are many pieces of equipment that are just for a single Job aside from AF, some of the most powerful necks are Job specific.

Back: The best of the best capes are all locked to singular Jobs, they are also highly modifiable and some Jobs could potentially want a dozen same but different capes. Normal people can stop at one or two of the same cape.

Well, we have the basics down of gear now. What makes this rough?

You can instantly swap gear by macro or script. Using a Weaponskill? All your gear changes to a Weaponskill set to maximize the Weaponskill damage. Casting a cure? You start with a precast set AND THEN a midcast set ending on an aftercast set. Just standing idle? There's a set for that. Building TP? Set. Ranged attack? Set. Getting hit? Swap to a getting hit set.

One of your AF gear pieces does some super specific thing for only one of your abilities every 5 minutes? Yeah you get it...

And that's how I got whoever is reading this to never play Final Fantasy 11!

Okay it isn't that bad and is optional... Kinda. They do design around this nowadays. At the very least for whatever Job you play think about what would make them stronger with the least swapping.

Are you a Red Mage/White Mage? You have a set for being in melee but need to swap to healing for a bit so you swap to a healing set via macro. Your AF gear has bonuses for certain spells but you have better gear for hitting things with so you only swap to that set when you are buffing yourself. That is a nice basic 3 sets to start with.

No scripts just a macro, it can even be in a macro to cast a spell. At the end of that spell the macro can swap you back. You go back to melee, to make sure you are in the right set on your Weaponskill macro simply put the equipment swap before the Weaponskill line.

With only a couple extra lines you now have automation from our starting point! With scripts we can go beyond to the pre-mid-aftercast nonsense, personally I draw the line at one swap per action.

Scripts unlike macros are outside the game and a wee bit difficult to make. Macro gear sets are just select the pieces and that is that, your /gearset number is 1, go at it champ. Someone can give you their script but it will have THEIR gear in it in THEIR storages with THEIR augments. So you can have an outline but you need to rewrite the whole drat thing and every time you get new gear for it you need to go in to the script and fix it instead of clicking a few UI buttons.

If you want to be the peak there it is, swap gear with a script based on the weather going on. Lets get back to normal topics like acquiring gear.

OH GOD GETTING THE BEST GEAR IS HELL!

Some of the best gear we can get is off the auction house. In our example unity accolades get you 1 mil per week, AMAN treasure orbs(You can use these for a chance at REAL gear if you like gambling) for 5 mill a month so that's 9 mil for very little work if any beyond selling your orb runs and playing the game. Most topest end auction house gear is between 30-60 mil on my server. Of course there is more gil to be found all over and you can often buy slightly worse equipment(-1% to a stat on the piece) for a huge reduction in price.

A bunch of great gear comes from doing various endgame activities. Some of the best weapons, the best capes, and some of the best armor are from Ambuscade which is a fight that changes monthly. There are two different battles made for a single party to do with 5 difficulties, lower difficulties have less numbers and less mechanics but reward fewer points. You trade these points for gear and upgrades to that gear, just getting a certain amount of points also gets you rewards. The more humans in your party the more points you earn.

Boom right there we can make a full set of high end gear aside from ammo, neck, and earrings. The only limit is how much you can stomach running it over and over and if the gimmick of the month is doable for certain Jobs or trusts.

High-Tier Battle Fields are story boss refights and have a bunch of great pieces of gear, some of the best gear in fact in later ones. Higher difficulty gives better drop rate.

There is baby 119 gear you can buy in Adoulin to get started and works for doing low end Ambuscade.

I'll be here forever if I go over everything, I'll eventually do an update on all the various endgame activities but the point be: entry gear isn't too scary.

"What about AF?"

gently caress. AF/Relic/Empyrean is bad. REMAP weapons are real bad.

The armor tends to come from all over the place, needs drops and crafted items from all over the place, and needs Job specific drops from endgame stuff in not small amounts. Weapons... Weapons take a lot of money paying other players for drops or a lot of time gathering drops and currency. Some require a lot of grinding specific mobs doing certain Weaponskills and Skillchains. The Ambuscade grind and auction house are a joke compared to making a Relic/Empyrean/Mythic/Artifact/Prime(REMAP) weapon. They are still making new artifact armor and weapon steps in the year 2023, please help.

Are the weapons and armor cool as hell? Yeah.

Can the armor be not fully upgraded to get the best effects for just swapping? Yeah.

Can you ignore some not great artifact armor slots? Yes if you hate fashion.

Will I be making all the AF for *insert Job here*? No. Edit: Yes*

Will I make a REMAP? If I hate myself enough I'll make a Relic from Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Edit: I hate myself enough

Hoofa... Okay so earlier I mentioned storage space and pulling gear from it. In FF11 you have a dozen different storages. Gear can be pulled from your inventory or from special storages called Mog Wardrobes which hold 80 items each. You get 2 of them for free and then each extra costs a dollar per month. If you play one Job(which you won't) the two free are fine. The issue of space comes when you try to have a set for every role, not even thinking about swaps, just general sets. Tossing low level gear once you are done leveling everything helps but cosmetic armor will still clog your wardrobe. Ammo can go in the Mog Wardrobe but ammo pouches which hold 99 ammo each and stack to 12 can not. It is very easy (and expensive) to burn through your ammo. Cards and Ninja tools are also inventory cloggers. How bad is it for me? As of the middle of Chains both my wardrobes are full and I keep my rings in my inventory, about 20 of them. Edit: I bought a 3rd tab...

So yeah that extra dollar is tempting, but also you can move gear or glamor to a storage you can't pull from if you don't plan on using that piece on your current Job. This gives you space for currently used pieces as annoying as it may be to manually move stuff when you feel like changing things up. Of course regular storage is important for things like crafting and AF/REMA, some things take over 10000-30000 items in a game where stuff only stacks to 99. I am not maining Rune Fencer or Geomancer. Edit: I may play one of these...

Okay. That's it for now. If I missed something one of you nerds can chime in. Final Fantasy XI is a game that exists and I'm trapped...

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 20, 2024

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I have ugly memories of getting most of a set of elemental staves so I could macro swap in the right one for each spell, that sucked.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

kitten emergency posted:

I have ugly memories of getting most of a set of elemental staves so I could macro swap in the right one for each spell, that sucked.

Iridal Staff fixed that issue at least.

Now, Magian Staves for Summoner mains...

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, prior to 99 when a bud and I were duo'ing a lot of these expansions at a lower level cap, those elemental staves were a godsend for him being able to keep an avatar up longer.

Fat and Useless posted:

Will I make a REMAP? If I hate myself enough I'll make a Relic from Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Edit: I hate myself enough
oof, best of luck on that point at the very least, though at least it'll be good stuff for whatever job you do it for.

Fat and Useless posted:

If a piece is a usable piece of equipment, like you click it and it spits out bullets, it needs to be in your real inventory to work. How bad is it for me? As of the middle of Chains both my wardrobes are full and I keep my rings in my inventory, about 20 of them. Edit: I bought a 3rd tab...

So on this one, I don't play any ranged jobs which have those ammo belts to confirm how it is for those items in particular, but it's not always the case! If you have an equippable item which has an on-use effect (eg, Warp Ring, any of the Experience/Capacity rings, etc), if it's in one of your Mog Wardrobes or something, so long as you have it equipped it can be activated from the menu you get by highlighting yourself or a party member and going to "Items" there. The option to use it won't be in the usual Items submenu from the actual main menus, but the ability to use it or not could also differ for something that adds items to your inventory I'll admit, I've not tried with one of those stashed.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Whoa! I missed a lot in the thread!

Girl I know that feel.

Fat and Useless posted:

Magnetic and Ethereal Earrings are still best in slot for certain Rune Fencer and Paladin tanking situations. Ethereal is also good for a Red Mage idle set.

As with Rajas Ring, I still love that this old junk still has a ton of use-cases.

Sanguinia posted:

You're an absolute gem and an inspiration F&U.

Amen to that. This has been a wonderful journey so far, with reminiscing about what's familiar, enjoying Visaria's unique experience, and even learning a thing or two about a game that I played a metric fuckton across three decades.

Fat and Useless posted:

Miscellaneous Chapter 3: Gear

Just for kicks I went back and looked at my scripts for each job I played. I had five jobs (Corsair, Puppetmaster, Thief, Red Mage, Paladin) that each had over 440 lines of code. Oh yeah and my alt's White Mage also had that much. Red Mage, with the precast and midcast shenanigans, takes the cake with 523 lines of code. But Corsair had the most Ambuscade capes with eight!

And this is on top of the libraries and massive lua files that go into setting up everything for you to customize. (Thank you, Byrth and Selindrile, wherever you are. And thank you, Cyrite and Cypan, for being really loving good at this game.)

Fat and Useless posted:

<To be continued in Dynamis>

Please look forward to it :doit:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
On the one hand I kind of like that you can script stuff usefully, on the other hand I hate that it sounds like you have to, to be efficient in any sense of the word for some(all?) classes.

It puts me a bit in the mind of an old Gamespy Daily Victim bit about a Counterstrike player who'd made macro scripts for playing through a match on every map, to the point where he hadn't touched a key in three rounds or so.

Also, yeah, just want to chime in with everyone else and say I've been enjoying the LP! I think the only constructive critique I could arrive with is that sometimes it feels like we could maybe use a few frames of travelling screenshots when hopping from NPC to NPC or location to location. I'd love to see more of the world as we go along!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Arc Impulse posted:

So on this one, I don't play any ranged jobs which have those ammo belts to confirm how it is for those items in particular, but it's not always the case! If you have an equippable item which has an on-use effect (eg, Warp Ring, any of the Experience/Capacity rings, etc), if it's in one of your Mog Wardrobes or something, so long as you have it equipped it can be activated from the menu you get by highlighting yourself or a party member and going to "Items" there. The option to use it won't be in the usual Items submenu from the actual main menus, but the ability to use it or not could also differ for something that adds items to your inventory I'll admit, I've not tried with one of those stashed.

Yep apparently works on stuff like behemoth suits too. Could have sworn it didn't work on distributing items.

PurpleXVI posted:

On the one hand I kind of like that you can script stuff usefully, on the other hand I hate that it sounds like you have to, to be efficient in any sense of the word for some(all?) classes.

It puts me a bit in the mind of an old Gamespy Daily Victim bit about a Counterstrike player who'd made macro scripts for playing through a match on every map, to the point where he hadn't touched a key in three rounds or so.

Also, yeah, just want to chime in with everyone else and say I've been enjoying the LP! I think the only constructive critique I could arrive with is that sometimes it feels like we could maybe use a few frames of travelling screenshots when hopping from NPC to NPC or location to location. I'd love to see more of the world as we go along!

You do not need to script to be effective but you do need several sets to be effective and swapping them with macros(or scripts) is the only way changing a set doesn't take half a minute. This is not too huge a deal if just doing casual things, lots of melee DPS gear can build TP and Weaponskill just fine. When you want to be more than just fine you need to look at what elements you are using for better damage even for melee DPS, what gear has higher Agi for the Weaponskill that scales off Agi, maybe that Agi gear comes from a piece that doesn't have + Weaponskill damage on it and maybe +8% Weaponskill damage is better that the Agi. Obliviously sets designed for getting hit or healing/buffing are going to be different from a melee DPS set.

Building the set is much harder than slapping a gearset into a macro, at least the in game macro system, scripts are a project. But if I had to pick FF 11's unique identity among MMOs it is that you must constant and rapidly rip your pants off to kill a dragon.

Bregor posted:

Just for kicks I went back and looked at my scripts for each job I played. I had five jobs (Corsair, Puppetmaster, Thief, Red Mage, Paladin) that each had over 440 lines of code. Oh yeah and my alt's White Mage also had that much. Red Mage, with the precast and midcast shenanigans, takes the cake with 523 lines of code. But Corsair had the most Ambuscade capes with eight!

And this is on top of the libraries and massive lua files that go into setting up everything for you to customize. (Thank you, Byrth and Selindrile, wherever you are. And thank you, Cyrite and Cypan, for being really loving good at this game.)

I think I've only ever had one for Corsair and Blue but those are two things I mained. Tank Puppetmaster could get away with not swapping enough for me not to care about scripts. Anyway the Cor script will be coming back.

PurpleXVI posted:

Thanks and yes I got lazy and stopped doing zone shots around the start of Chains, I'll fix it when we get to the near east. Also thanks for updating the crab count, this is important and already outdated by over 500 crabs.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

I think I've only ever had one for Corsair and Blue but those are two things I mained. Tank Puppetmaster could get away with not swapping enough for me not to care about scripts. Anyway the Cor script will be coming back.

Blue Mage needs a frankly hilarious amount of sets. You can basically fill your entire inventory with just BLU gear. I would list them, but I'm on a low ebb of self-hate today so I'll leave that fun to you when we get there.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Dynamis Chapter 1: The Lament Of The Dead

What a weird dream... Also extremely unhelpful. It told me next to nothing.

I'm going to get right on that after go shove Diabolos into a lamp or something. Priorities you see.

Or you can have a ghost wait outside my house I guess.

(Let's see... Think back Visaria... This is Raogrimm's friend who is also a girl. I see it's like that...)

Alright I'll do it!

Still not a lot of information to go off of but for Goblins we have two choices. First in Jeuno which is the wrong answer. Second and the correct choice is sometimes you can find semi-friendly Goblins hanging around the outside of beastmen strongholds.

Mmhmm mmhmm.

Already hate this, go on.

No ma'am! (I expected worse...)

Well. Now what?

Let's start where each of the expedition members started from before they set out. We'll start in Windurst.

Found my ghost, turns out it was a spot next to the residences. The tree in front of my house is probably also haunted.

Understood beat up the bosses of Windurst, San d'Oria, Bastok, and Jeuno then kick in the Shadow Lord's door(again).

By having me go and fix it, understood. Send me in coach.

The things I do in the name of friendship, love, and peace...

Shadow Lord

Ah. I see the problem. So the entire area is just densely packed beastmen.

Let me give a quick run down of how Dynamis works.

You start with a 60 minute timer which you can extend by killing certain totems in the middle of mob groups. This 60 minute limit doesn't really matter anymore. In addition to the totems there are NM beastmen who drop boss spawning items. Normal beastmen in here also have different boss spawning items and those bosses drop boss spawning items that spawn a harder end boss than the normal version with better outdated loot.

So what is important here?

The regular beastmen can drop Relic armor or in other words your second Artifact armor set. These are not entirely upgrades to AF, they have different special features. These can all be upgraded to item level gear and are all important for every Job not named Geo or Rune who have their own system for Artifact and Relic armor. The drop rate isn't bad and you can upgrade from the base piece straight to item level. A mix of slots for all Jobs drops across the different zones so you'll need to sit in all of them eventually for a while.

Uhh... Oh the beastmen can all drop special currency valued at 1, 100, or 10000.

Tukuku Whiteshell = 1 (as of writing this 1,000 gil)
Lungo-Nango Jadeshell = 100 (as of writing this 500,000 gil)
Rimilala Stripeshell = 10000 (as of writing this 40,000,000 gil)

These come in a flavor for Windurst, San d'Oria, and Bastok. They are used for upgrading the armor. That's it. Nothing else. Sometimes you get a 1 value currency while carving your way through beastmen. Rarely you'll see a 100 in a trip. The 10000 comes from winning the lottery or combining 100's.

Oh and I guess Relic weapons drop too. Back to fixing this place.

Done and dusted. On to the next one.

Oh what's this? Let me just scribble this down and grab the stuff.

Orichalcum Chain - 40,000 gil
Cermet Chunk - 20,000 gil
Koh-I-Noor - 1,600,000 gil...

4 Silver Pieces - 1,800,000 gil...

Total Spent(Step 1): 3,460,000 gil

I guess... Oh well this is gonna be worth it.

I'm not going to rag on his descendant in front of him.

What a mess.

Would it kill someone to turn on a light? Anyway two down, two to go.

Hrmmm...

Wing Sword - 300,000 gil on AH
Mythril Sword - 31,648 gil from a vendor (100,000 gil on AH)
Bronze Sword - 246 gil from a vendor (3,000 gil on AH)

HRMMM!

14 100 Byne Bills - 7,000,000 gil end me now

Total Spent(Step 2): 7,331,894 gil
Total Spent(Step 1+2): 10,791,894 gil

Oh well this is gonna be worth it... I hope...

Remorse is enough for me.

Same story here.

Next up is Jeuno.

We all know the deal.

None of this is really threatening to me so I'm just breezing through this for now.

Next up I'll be heading to the frozen north. With a pit stop at a certain Gob. We haven't even begun to sunk cost yet!

Next time: A legendary waste of time and gil

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Some of you astute readers may know what Jobs this Relic weapon is for. You may also be aware Visaria is not one of these Jobs now nor will she ever be nor is the weapon even good for these Jobs. Please enjoy this Let's Play.

Thank you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, suffering for art.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Okay so I had to dive into Dynamis Bastok to grab a Relic armor piece I needed, here's the list of what I got in my 90 minute run.

6 relic scythes
3 relic axes
3 relic swords
4 relic great katana

9 armor nuggets I don't need (25k each)
3 armor nuggets I need (80k each)
19 1 byne bills (1k each)

1 thief chest
2 scholar legs
3 black mage legs
1 paladin helm
1 corsair boots
4 bard gloves
3 dragoon legs
1 blue legs
1 red gloves
2 dark boots
4 monk boots
0 samurai gloves
0 beast chest

So yeah, just a little look into what this grind is all about for anyone curious.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Feeling a deep seated sinking feeling in my gut right now.

Are you doing Dynamis solo? If so, how much of the real estate are you able to clear just with yourself and trusts? I don't remember having too many runs totally miss getting a 100-piece drop, but that was full clearing or nearly-full clearing a zone.

God, three and a half hours a run.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fat and Useless posted:

Okay so I had to dive into Dynamis Bastok to grab a Relic armor piece I needed, here's the list of what I got in my 90 minute run.

6 relic scythes
3 relic axes
3 relic swords
4 relic great katana

9 armor nuggets I don't need (25k each)
3 armor nuggets I need (80k each)
19 1 byne bills (1k each)

1 thief chest
2 scholar legs
3 black mage legs
1 paladin helm
1 corsair boots
4 bard gloves
3 dragoon legs
1 blue legs
1 red gloves
2 dark boots
4 monk boots
0 samurai gloves
0 beast chest

So yeah, just a little look into what this grind is all about for anyone curious.

Woof

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chillgamesh posted:

Feeling a deep seated sinking feeling in my gut right now.

Are you doing Dynamis solo? If so, how much of the real estate are you able to clear just with yourself and trusts? I don't remember having too many runs totally miss getting a 100-piece drop, but that was full clearing or nearly-full clearing a zone.

God, three and a half hours a run.

1. Yes

2. Non-stop fighting, 3 hits kill, little to no AoE.

3. No treasure hunter aside from Lion and the next set of Dynamis zones are better for trying to farm 100's. I'll explain it then. Also I wasn't focusing on NMs which tend to drop them reasonably often.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 22, 2024

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Someday I'll do this kind of meticulous devotion for MapleStory and really drive things home

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I miss old Dynamis, like a lot. Something magical about stealthing your way through an incredibly hostile zone with 17+ other dickheads where any aggro results in a chain of links that will murder the gently caress out of everyone and leave you praying that someone with Reraise managed to get to a safe spot to get up before biting it.

And those horrific zones were formerly the safest zones in the game, where no combat could happen. Glorious.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Some of you astute readers may know what Jobs this Relic weapon is for. You may also be aware Visaria is not one of these Jobs now nor will she ever be nor is the weapon even good for these Jobs. Please enjoy this Let's Play.

Thank you.

Come on what job, what joooooob. You better not be depriving me of my legally binding right to experience all Blue Mages because they're the best class ever invented.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Come on what job, what joooooob. You better not be depriving me of my legally binding right to experience all Blue Mages because they're the best class ever invented.

:allears:

So like I said Jobs are gonna be a little weird in this one because they actually kinda matter more than your average Job quest and the story of Treasures at the start... well you'll see.

You will get Blue. You'll all get Blue and then feel bad about what you've done to Visaria. You might even feel blue afterwards!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Dynamis Chapter 2: Regrets, I've Had A Few

It's still junk.

Then I better get a move on.

I mosey on over to Beaucedine, oddly enough I'm not just going straight to Xarcabard I guess.

This is a problem that future me would need to fix and future me already has a lot on her plate. Also Raogrimm has been through enough, there's that too.

Zwoop!

Shadow Lord

Alright so this place is a tight maze with a bunch of stuff that has true sight. The goal is to get to the other side of the map(I have no map for any of these by the way) and get down to the bottom layer of the cliffs.

This is what is waiting for us.

Angra Mainyu has one rude trick, it uses the Red Mage one hour for fast casting and then spams the black magic spell Death. In fact every beastman in Dynamis uses one hours according to their Job. Paladins are the most annoying to fight followed by White Mages and Thieves.

Anyway the best solution is to not let him do the spam in the first place by taking him out with a strong Weaponskill.

Yes. But first I need to talk to a Gob about a sword.

Hrmmm...

I guess?

So in Beaucedine there are Hydra Corps undead of every Job they drop items that pop up a stronger shade that drops the attestation of whatever flavor the shade is.

This step is free aside from my time. Finally everything is coming up Visaria.

Sword please.

Now at this point a reasonable person would just say no and walk away.

Lungo-Nango Jadeshell x 61 = 30,500,000 gil

Total Spent(Step 3): 30,500,000 gil
Total Spent(Step 1+2+3): 41,291,894 gil - This is more than enough to just buy an Aeonic Weapon.

Swords...

:siren:Awakening:siren:

SWORDS!

Alright I'm good now.

Next time: The next step is another 40,000,000 gil

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 23, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Angra Mainyu has one rude trick, it uses the Red Mage one hour for fast casting and then spams the black magic spell Death. In fact every beastman in Dynamis uses one hours according to their Job. Paladins are the most annoying to fight followed my White Mages and Thieves.

Is it normal for enemies to have the same Jobs and Skills as players? Or is it rare and unique to this zone?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it normal for enemies to have the same Jobs and Skills as players? Or is it rare and unique to this zone?

Most enemies only have the passive traits. Everything has a job, but mostly only the Beastmen get to spellcast, and by and large no normal monsters have the active abilities. Some Notorious Monsters in the real world will have such abilities, but yes it's actually quite rare.

But near enough every beastman in Dynamis has them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ah yes, the Olaf the snowman "water has memory" trope :v:

Yes.

:yeshaha:

These tracks own bones. OST continues to deliver. I have Awakening on a Spotify playlist and it still gives me chills whenever it comes up.

Doing Dynamis-Xarcabard over and over back in the day was a rite of passage, especially if you needed certain relic armor drops. I waited FOR-loving-EVER for Paladin body in my first endgame linkshell, and then ended up getting Thief hands and Red Mage hat soon thereafter. The S-E random number generator giveth...

I could do a longer effortpost about these zones back in the level 75 days, but I'll spare everyone the misery. tl;dr, there were no beastmen roaming around when you entered, just statues. Aggroing a statue caused beastmen to pop, and sometimes they would path in a way that aggroed more statues and thus more beastmen pops. If your group was just starting out, or if you didn't have many skilled players, the general idea is to pop only the statues needed to move through the zone to reach certain goals, such as statues that would extend your time in Dynamis, notorious monsters, and the boss. Larger and/or more skilled groups could just pop everything, have Bards, Red Mages, and Black Mages sleep the beastmen, and proceed to murderdeathkill. Once you understood this sequence of events and got familiar with the maps and statue locations, it was very much rinse and repeat.

That is until Dynamis Lord, who in addition to casting Death has a bunch of TP moves that would seriously ruin your day at 75. One in particular creates three copies of Dynamis Lord. Yeah. He also had two pet dragons, Yin and Yang, that you had to defeat beforehand before you could even damage Dynamis Lord. He can also re-summon Yin and Yang while you're fighting him. Oh and you have to kill Yin and Yang within ~30 seconds of each other or they both respawn and full health. Oh one more thing, you had to kill the 15 demon notorious monsters before Yin and Yang would even spawn in the first place. Mercifully S-E got rid of Yin and Yang, and now Dynamis Lord is a force pop with an item dropped by any of those 15 demons.

Between bullshit like this and the CoP missions we've already seen, old FFXI was ball-breakingly hard sometimes.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 23, 2024

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

You forgot to mention the reservation system and how only one group could be in the zone at a time. (Unless someone else mentioned this after the earlier entries)

(The "reservation" being when you traded the hourglass [1m gil at the time], it reserved it for just that hourglass for the next 3 hours. Basically the honor system with other linkshells)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kazy posted:

You forgot to mention the reservation system and how only one group could be in the zone at a time. (Unless someone else mentioned this after the earlier entries)

(The "reservation" being when you traded the hourglass [1m gil at the time], it reserved it for just that hourglass for the next 3 hours. Basically the honor system with other linkshells)

Oh right! Forgot about that. Bahamut was a majority Japanese server back then, and the main linkshells would reserve calendar slots on a Japanese website. We mostly played nice but when I was running Dynamis for my linkshell I had one or two incidents where another group tried to jump us in the queue.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bregor posted:

Oh right! Forgot about that. Bahamut was a majority Japanese server back then, and the main linkshells would reserve calendar slots on a Japanese website. We mostly played nice but when I was running Dynamis for my linkshell I had one or two incidents where another group tried to jump us in the queue.

Hello fellow Bahamut alum. I sort of miss the drama, tbh, it was peak high school sniping and bitching.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hello fellow Bahamut alum. I sort of miss the drama, tbh, it was peak high school sniping and bitching.

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Yeah that was my early 20s when I could stay up all night and set alarms for pop windows. Only real drama I was involved with was in Dragon's Aery, was a member of a few different linkshells that camped Fafhogg. Won't get into that though since it won't add much to the LP.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

*slaps the side of Dynamis*

You can fit so many groups in this bad boy nowadays.

So behind the scenes when I started working on the sword it was one third the cost it is now. I took a break for a few months like a fool. Square decided to ban the Dynamis bots during that time which caused the entire economy to go wackadoodle. When I came back the 16 mil to finish the sword turned into 42 mil. I'll get more into this stupid sword next update.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Actually, for context, are any parts of FFXI instanced or is it all open world stuff where John Fantasy420 can walk in and gently caress around in the middle of your story mission?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually, for context, are any parts of FFXI instanced or is it all open world stuff where John Fantasy420 can walk in and gently caress around in the middle of your story mission?

I don't think anything is instanced. In the case of boss fights like Promathia or whatever you literally have to sit outside the arena and wait your turn if someone else is doing something in there. At least, this is how it used to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When I was playing a few years ago, they added the high-tier battlefield for a superboss we’ve yet to see and didn’t fix the “one party at a time” thing in that battlefield zone so it was a nightmare to try and enter :v:

But yeah, I think most battlefields either have queues that will pull you in so you don’t have to spam the entry, or allow multiple parties at once.