Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Saint Celestine posted:

Guess what this WIP is

\/. I suppose that wasn't too hard. Trying to re-create

Since the metal one is ...not ideal.

I've never heard of this mech before but now I'm very excited to see this completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've never heard of this mech before but now I'm very excited to see this completed.

It's from TRO 3060. You'd be surprised how it got around the Inner Sphere - there's a bunch more previously faction-exclusive 'Mechs that have received crazy foreign variants, like the Lyran No-Dachi with a Mace

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Saint Celestine posted:

Theres other mechs that can throw out more firepower, but its a mobile platform that throws out 4 headcapper shots a turn for 60 damage while staying heat neutral from the guns. Its pretty powerful.

Yeah but you can get a bunch of jump-pulse nightmares for about the same BV. Mix and match your favorite of TR1 Wraith, Agrotera, PXH-3PL Phoenix Hawk, Firestarter Omni B or U, Black Hawk KU Prime or G, Arctic Fox A, Preta Luminos, or all the other ones that are too numerous to list. My money is on the person who takes those!

Edit: TR1 Wraith and Black Hawk KU G are my picks personally. Ever since I started playing with the Tac Ops Active Probe (-1 forest penalty) and ECM (ECCM and ghost targets) alternate rules, the Black Hawk KU G became my favorite thing to take in every game. Firestarter Omni X also has Angel and Bloodhound, but then that means I'm not taking the B or U or H or any of the others that just plain have more firepower.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 18, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
drat the Agrotera's fuckin cool.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

General Battuta posted:

drat the Agrotera's fuckin cool.

Yeah! When it debuted in Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, I immediately thought "wait, this is allowed?" Also, the art design of it is really good.

It's not as brutally optimal as the Wraith but nothing except the Hellstar really is.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It's from TRO 3060. You'd be surprised how it got around the Inner Sphere - there's a bunch more previously faction-exclusive 'Mechs that have received crazy foreign variants, like the Lyran No-Dachi with a Mace

I feel like TRO 3060 is a blind spot to a lot of people because it somewhat weaker art design for the 'mechs (although I love Doug Chaffee's art, even his protomechs and the original cover of the book) and the fact that most of the 'mechs never got updated art in later publications.

However, stat-wise there's a lot of really excellent stuff in there. The Capellans were probably the real winners with the Men Shen, Ti Ts'ang, and Jinggau, but a lot of the others are pretty solid especially if you use the 3060 Unabridged variants like the Watchman with a Large VSPL or the Barghest with a Heavy Gauss Rifle, or nearly all of the Hauptmann variants, or the Word of Blake Viking (I loving love MML 9s personally).

I also like the Arctic Fox. It may be a literal manifestation of "we have Kit Fox at home" but the A config gets to sit at the Jump Pulse Nightmare table and I like the C config too.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 18, 2024

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Saint Celestine posted:

Theres other mechs that can throw out more firepower, but its a mobile platform that throws out 4 headcapper shots a turn for 60 damage while staying heat neutral from the guns. Its pretty powerful.

Don't get me wrong it's not bad. It's consistent and easy (and boring), and also over 3000 BV so it's really loving expensive. It's not overpowered in the slightest unless your evaluation criteria is either flat tonnage (in which case I've got a bunch of other Assaults to tell you about) or being the most dangerous single record sheet on the table (in which case I've got a different bunch of Assaults to tell you about).

EDIT: for example, the Jade Phoenix A is hands down the best dueling mech in the game and the average encounter between one of them and a Hellstar is the smoldering wreck of a Hellstar. The only way a Hellstar beats one is by getting lucky, or the JP pilot making a mistake.

EDIT 2: The Hellstar is a solidly above average mech that's really easy to use and doesn't have a major weakness. It's Good(tm). It's definitely not overpowered in any sense of the word.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 18, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah! When it debuted in Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, I immediately thought "wait, this is allowed?" Also, the art design of it is really good.

It's not as brutally optimal as the Wraith but nothing except the Hellstar really is.

I feel like TRO 3060 is a blind spot to a lot of people because it somewhat weaker art design for the 'mechs (although I love Doug Chaffee's art, even his protomechs and the original cover of the book) and the fact that most of the 'mechs never got updated art in later publications.

However, stat-wise there's a lot of really excellent stuff in there. The Capellans were probably the real winners with the Men Shen, Ti Ts'ang, and Jinggau, but a lot of the others are pretty solid especially if you use the 3060 Unabridged variants like the Watchman with a Large VSPL or the Barghest with a Heavy Gauss Rifle, or nearly all of the Hauptmann variants, or the Word of Blake Viking (I loving love MML 9s personally).

I also like the Arctic Fox. It may be a literal manifestation of "we have Kit Fox at home" but the A config gets to sit at the Jump Pulse Nightmare table and I like the C config too.

I just grabbed a Ti Ts'ang from IWM and while goofy looking, it's a fun design. I'll look into the Men Shen as well to round out my Capellan lance.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not the craziest design but I was always partial to the Lao Hu, I like the assymetry and basic shapes it has and a revamp could really make it shine I think.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I was going to add this to my Swordsworn design but I'm mighty tempted to add it to my Republic instead. 5 TMM when it jumps, woo.

http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/6933/spider-sdr-8xr

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Speaking of 3060, the Enforcer III has always performed well for me. Especially the ENF-6NAIS, which also deserves a place in the pantheon of jump-pulse nightmares and I can't believe I forgot. Even in games that I've lost it walks away with at least one kill.

If I made a custom version I guess I'd remove the C3S and ER Small Laser for a Beagle Active Probe, but not much else could improve it.

Sentry SNT-W5 isn't on the quite the same tier, but it's a cheap jumper with a Large VSP Laser, a weapon which makes units almost always worth considering. Only took it once but I wasn't disappointed.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just grabbed a Ti Ts'ang from IWM and while goofy looking, it's a fun design. I'll look into the Men Shen as well to round out my Capellan lance.

I actually really like its design, which is probably one of the stronger ones from the book. I love the "warrior in lamellar armor" look. The mini came out well too.

Stats-wise the original version is extremely strong. It's probably the prototype for a dedicated TSM user, too. It's not the first to have TSM, but it was the first published that has a weapons configuration that makes it extremely easy to go from 0 to 9 heat in one turn, and then maintain it.

The Men Shen's mini is unfortunately wider than the art and its Raven lineage made me expect, but it's still alright and the stats make up for it. The C and especially F configs are my favorite. Definitely ask to use the active probe targeting rules with it, since it has a fixed BAP.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 18, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Another thing that's cool about the Ti Ts'ang is that it, the Jinngau and the Yu Huang all share a decorative armor motif. Tells you the designs have something in common, which I like. It's a shame the Jinngau's new art doesn't have that sun disc emblem on its leg like it used to.

Anyway, TRO: 3060 has a special place in my heart because it was the first new TRO to come out after I started playing BT so I'm always using Hauptmanns, Barghest and Arctic Foxes. I even have a Cobra.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sharkopath posted:

It's not the craziest design but I was always partial to the Lao Hu, I like the assymetry and basic shapes it has and a revamp could really make it shine I think.
The Lao Hu was a great successor to the heavy cav concept from the Thunder. Take a Griffin, remove its jump jets, strap on some armor and an LB 20-X Autocannon. :awesome: It matches up pretty well with the Yu Huang's movement profile. Also made a great showing in MechCommander 2 (and fit in with its artwork) as well.

BattleMaster posted:

The Men Shen's mini is unfortunately wider than the art and its Raven lineage made me expect, but it's still alright and the stats make up for it. The C and especially F configs are my favorite. Definitely ask to use the active probe targeting rules with it, since it has a fixed BAP.
The "newest" Raven in spirit is yet again the Jinggau. JN-G9CC/G9CCr. Did you know that Command Consoles can generate TacOps Ghost Targets?(!?)

Defiance Industries posted:

Another thing that's cool about the Ti Ts'ang is that it, the Jinngau and the Yu Huang all share a decorative armor motif. Tells you the designs have something in common, which I like. It's a shame the Jinngau's new art doesn't have that sun disc emblem on its leg like it used to.

Anyway, TRO: 3060 has a special place in my heart because it was the first new TRO to come out after I started playing BT so I'm always using Hauptmanns, Barghest and Arctic Foxes. I even have a Cobra.
Ah yes, the Cobra. It's rather respectable for what it was built for--certainly better than all the 4/6 clunker missile boats out there!

Now, where's the Dark Age/3150s upgrade for the Bloodhound?????

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Don't get me wrong it's not bad. It's consistent and easy (and boring), and also over 3000 BV so it's really loving expensive. It's not overpowered in the slightest unless your evaluation criteria is either flat tonnage (in which case I've got a bunch of other Assaults to tell you about) or being the most dangerous single record sheet on the table (in which case I've got a different bunch of Assaults to tell you about).

EDIT: for example, the Jade Phoenix A is hands down the best dueling mech in the game and the average encounter between one of them and a Hellstar is the smoldering wreck of a Hellstar. The only way a Hellstar beats one is by getting lucky, or the JP pilot making a mistake.

EDIT 2: The Hellstar is a solidly above average mech that's really easy to use and doesn't have a major weakness. It's Good(tm). It's definitely not overpowered in any sense of the word.

Whatever you categorize it, both the Hellstar and Jade Phoenix are mechs that multiple groups ive played with frown upon using. Keep bringing hellstars and soon nobody wants to play with you so its overpowered in that sense.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Saint Celestine posted:

Whatever you categorize it, both the Hellstar and Jade Phoenix are mechs that multiple groups ive played with frown upon using. Keep bringing hellstars and soon nobody wants to play with you so its overpowered in that sense.

It probably plays different in CBT compared to Alpha Strike. In Alpha Strike it's just a big assault that moves at a decent speed and hits hard at all ranges. Plenty of other assault 'mechs that do the same thing in Alpha Strike.

Then again, Alpha Strike is way more about companies or battalions going at it than individual 'mechs where their unique designs can shine or eclipse players having fun.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The "newest" Raven in spirit is yet again the Jinggau. JN-G9CC/G9CCr. Did you know that Command Consoles can generate TacOps Ghost Targets?(!?)

Yeah! As well as +2 initiative if the second pilot is the force commander, spotting for LRMs with fewer penalties, and tapping into satellites for various bonuses, and taking over for an unconscious pilot. There's something for everyone.

They made ghost targets less powerful but also far simpler, but a chance at generating a +1 penalty to attack a specific ally or for attacks made by a specific enemy is still a very good reason to take any of the things that can generate them.

Communications Equipment can also generate them if you have enough, and multiple different sources of Ghost Targets can stack up to a +3 penalty on the same target.

So if you put ECM (ideally Angel ECM), Command Console, and 7 tons of Communications Equipment (note that a BattleMech or Combat Vehicle gets 1 ton for free, but I don't think the Command Console adds any) on a single unit, you can generate 3 Ghost Targets and +2 initiative. If the Communications Equipment doesn't generate Ghost Targets, it can provide +2 initiative but I'm not clear on if that stacks with the same bonus from the Command Console or if they are two different ways to get the same bonus.

Also, the ECM and Active Probe alternate rules in TacOps give some really compelling reasons to take either item when they'd often be dead weight. (The Capellan EW Equipment seems to be able to do all the things because it says it counts as both a Beagle Active Probe and Guardian ECM just with 3 hex range for both. Watchdog too should be able to do all that.)

However, my SO and I agreed that for the "Hide and Seek" scenario we would not use the special functions of them aside from the probe scanning while moving, because active probes plus enough ECCM negates the whole point of the scenario. But with the regular ECM functionality and the scan while moving TacOps rule, you can use the probe to zero in on where the ECM generator is hiding.

In my first attempt at a Hide and Seek game, my SO was off by one hex when he guessed where my Firestarter S1 (with ECM) was but his speculative move triggered an ambush from 2 platoons of SRM troops and 4 Power Suits (the weaker precursor to IS Standard armor.) Sadly while all attacks hit (point-blank attacks are very generous) my cluster rolls weren't as devastating as they could have been considering all the SRMs flying around. I triggered my other units hiding in another copse of trees and attacked with them as well, but it wasn't enough to make up for the fact that I had half of the BV. Once my Power Suits ran out of SRM 1 ammo there wasn't much I could do to keep up with his Clan mechs.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 18, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, when BA squads have to roll their missiles as one big rack, you don't get to see that full firepower often.

BattleMaster posted:

Toiletbot! Toiletbot!

It was a neat concept with some good canon configs but it ends up with more or less the same capability as a lot of middleweight 6/9 Medium Inner Sphere 'Mechs, just due to weapon selection in its era.

If it got some Clan weapon pods it could do some more things, but those are kind of covered now by its predecessor the Kit Fox/Uller itself, what with 17 canon configs and it practically being an Inner Sphere available 'Mech as of 3081.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been considering trying the Vapor Eagle when playing with quirks as a jumpy pulse menace. It's quite a pricey mech but you can mess with Nimble Jumper to crank those mods up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Vapor Eagle's a Wraith++, as long as your technicians remember never only tock the bare minimum ammo. So 2-5 shots of machine gun ammo per gun, and maybe 4-6 SSRM-2 reloads.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Feels like some kind of weird off-brand Phoenix Hawk with a weird fixation on three weapon holes its left arm also WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE 7 VARIANT it's like a massive Piranha!!!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's the real Phoenix Hawk IIC, yeah.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So Ghost Target's lower-tech sibling is smoke. You can lay smoke with all sorts of things but I believe that battle armor grenade launchers are the best, after playing a bunch of games with them.

BA GL ammo choices include regular (1 damage against hard targets or burst damage versus unarmored infantry), incendiary (counts as one inferno per hit) and, of course, smoke. You can select one ammo per magazine of ammo that the unit has for the weapon and all troopers must take the same loadout. Magazines for both types of grenade launcher weigh 5 kg each. Unfortunately, nearly every canon grenade launcher user has only the free magazine that comes with the weapon and no extra ammo, even if they have unused weight capacity, so you have to commit to the unit only being able to lay smoke for the whole game. (The exception is the Clan Constable, which has two heavy grenade launchers with one extra magazine each.)

BA GLs come in two sizes, micro (sometimes called automatic) and heavy. Micro has range brackets of 1/2/- and does 1d6/2 burst damage. Heavy has range brackets of 1/2/3 and does 1d6 burst damage. They cost the same BV but the micro is 75 kilograms and the heavy is 100 kilograms. Also, the heavy has much later introduction date of 3050 and initially has a FedCom affiliation.

The rules for laying smoke and keeping track of them are simple as long as there is no wind. You target a hex with the smoke grenades and it fills with a 2-level light smoke cloud, no attack roll needed. BA can target the hex they are in, so they can cover themselves and another unit with smoke.

Two or more light smoke clouds in one hex count as heavy smoke. Light and heavy smoke counts as light and heavy woods respectively for line of sight and to-hit modifiers. They also stack with woods, so for instance heavy smoke and heavy woods gives +4 to hit whoever is sitting in it. There are numerous applications for being able to put woods wherever you want or turn existing woods into super- or ultra-woods. Just be careful where you put it, because smoke can also help your foe!

Smoke laid by BA GLs dissipates during the third end phase following the turn it was popped, meaning you get 3 full turns out of it. However, while the smoke doesn't help you during the weapons phase in which you lay it, it will help you against physical attacks in the following phase!

That's it. Without wind you don't have to worry about the smoke clouds going anywhere. It's just woods on demand.

There are not as many BA GL users as you might hope for. For a while, the two grenade launchers were viewed as a crappy flavor alternative for light and medium machine guns, which they weigh the same as. However, smoke and incendiary ammo give them far more utility.

A few picks for dedicated smoke-layers:

Infiltrator Mk. I - the "crappy toy robot" isn't quite the ideal smoke layer, but it checks most of the boxes. It can mechanize, it can take hits from medium lasers, and it has stealth armor, albeit basic stealth. Not having jump jets means it will be more sedentary than usual for BA, but if it's just there to lay smoke for a sniper or LRM boat it doesn't need to be fast. By the ilClan era only the Lyrans deploy it in 4-man squads, but the Marian Hegemony deploys 5-man squads of it for some reason.

Nighthawk Mk. XXII - These are power armors so they only have 2 armor each, but they jump 3 and have standard stealth, and can do AP and anti-mech attacks, so they're already a bunch better than the Infiltrator aside from that. Well, they have micro grenade launchers so they have one less hex of range but that's easily made up for by the rest. Depending on the era and squad size, this is used by Star League Royals, Star League in Exile, Comstar, Word of Blake, Republic of the Sphere, and... the revived Clan Smoke Jaguar?!

Tornado G13 [GL] - Worse but cheaper than the Nighthawk, having no jump and only 1 ground MP, and basic stealth. They have a heavy GL though. Depending on the era and squad size, this is only used by Word of Blake, Republic of the Sphere, and neo-Jags.

Tunnel Rat IV [GL] - Militarized civilian exoskeletons, so they have only have 2 armor each and it's just the normal stuff. They have heavy grenade launchers and 2 jump but you have to pick between battle claw (mechanize and anti-mech attacks) or armored glove (AP attack) variants. However, they are the cheapest smoker BV wise, even more than the Tornado G13, and are available to IS General from the Jihad onward, so if you're sticking to availability this will probably be the easiest to fit into a list.

Constable - Normally used by the police forces of factions who loving love to be heavy-handed with civilians (that is, IS Clan General and Draconis Combine), this light suit has 5 regular armor and it walks and jumps 3, so it can move indoors as well as it moves outdoors. It has two heavy GLs with one extra mag each (letting you lay two smoke clouds in one turn AND switch to another type of ammo!), a searchlight, and has a modular mount that has canon options for a 4-shot SRM 1, light machine gun, single-hex ECM, TAG, and improved sensors. Normally the cutting torches and double battle claws wouldn't do anything for it except consume weight and space, but they actually come into play with TacOps' boarding action rules - with the latest errata, a Constable of any type is worth 2 (elemental) + 2 (light/medium suit) + 2.5 (5 armor) + 2 (burst-fire weapons) +2 (paired battle claws) + 0.5 (cutting torches) = 11 marine points, that is equal to 11 trained and and properly-armed regular marines. I figure for smoke laying specifically, the ECM variant is the best. Set it to ghost targets, sit in the hex of whatever is being guarded, and double-smoke it. Switch to incendiary (up to 10 infernos from the whole squad) or regular grenades (up to 10 regular damage or 10d6 burst damage) if something comes too close. This probably makes it the best on the list.

Kobold - This guy has a modular weapon mount AND a squad-support weapon mount, so it has a bunch of mix-and-match configs. The MWM can equip a micro GL and the SSWM can equip a TAG, Small Pulse Laser, or Flamer. It has 5 standard stealth armor and jumps 3. It's probably better for finding a nice, safe, smoky TAG spot than protecting another unit. Used by Rasalhague, Comstar, and Republic of the Sphere.

Quirinus [GL] - This one is for trying to win an artillery fight, with TAG and 8 reactive armor. It won't survive a direct hit from the larger artillery weapons but it can survive some splash damage. It jumps 3 and has a heavy grenade launcher. Used by FedSuns, FWL, Mercs, and the fake-rear end Third Star League.

Shen Long [Pop-Up Mine] - This quad suit is the one thing in the game other than the original Sloth to use a Pop-Up Mine. More importantly, it has 4 ground move, 11 mimetic armor (so it gains +3 on turns in which it sits still) and two Heavy Grenade Launchers. If the goal is to maintain a smoke cloud in a stationary unit's hex, this might be one of the best choices due to its durability. Not only does it have more armor than any of the others, it could potentially be up to +8 to hit (+1 for non-infantry attackers, +3 mimetic, +2 smoke, +2 heavy woods) making it not worth trying to take out to end the smoke deployment. Of course, it's also the most expensive option here by a lot and has little utility in actual combat once the mines run out, with no spare ammo for the GLs, AP weapon, or anti-mech attacks. Used by Capellans and Canopians.

Fenrir [VSP] - Curiously heavy at 2 tons given its light armor, this quad suit moves 4 and has only 5 regular armor. However, it has a single heavy GL and a Small VSP Laser. Of all of the others here, this one is the strongest deterrent to attackers getting close. It can't do leg attacks, but a Small VSP Laser is a particularly-powerful weapon for a BA unit. Used by Lyrans and Mercs.

Of all of these I mostly use the Tunnel Rat IV with Battle Claw and the Nighthawk Mk. XXII. I have my eye on the Constable for use on a force where I also use a Dire Wolf but have not played it yet.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Right now I just use a round of my Trebuchet -9R's time to lay three heavy smoke hexes for our party's advance and that's worked pretty well

It's a 'Mech with 5 tons of ammo, so it's got room for other utility too

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Well, the real strength of BA GL smoke is you can pay a little BV for an Infiltrator/Nighthawk/Tunnel Rat/Constable and have it ride your Hauptmann/Archangel/Sunder/Dire Wolf into battle and give it a heavy woods wherever it wants, or augment its heavy woods into an ultra-heavy woods.

If your goal is to block line of sight between you and the enemy it's probably better to use LRMs or mortars or artillery.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
There's also an Uller in the party and your research is definitely useful for when that merc lance can afford to hire BA troopers

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Feels like some kind of weird off-brand Phoenix Hawk with a weird fixation on three weapon holes its left arm also WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE 7 VARIANT it's like a massive Piranha!!!

The name Vapor[ware] Eagle always struck me as a deliberate joke about/reference to the Unseen Phoenix Hawk, heh

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Speaking of smoke LRMs, MegaMek seems to think that they don't actually scatter. It rolls a to-hit and a scatter location but just fills up the target hex anyway. I guess it works like smoke grenade attacks that just fill the targeted hex with smoke automatically?

Smoke grenade ammo has slightly different wording because the Vehicular Grenade Launchers that can also use the ammo always hit their targeted hexes with no attack rolls and BA grenades inherited that but for some reason I was expecting smoke LRMs to have scattering.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 19, 2024

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Good post on Smoke laying. You cant fire smoke from riding BA right? You have to drop them off, wait a turn, then start laying smoke?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kesper North posted:

The name Vapor[ware] Eagle always struck me as a deliberate joke about/reference to the Unseen Phoenix Hawk, heh

The Vapor Eagle existed before the Harmony Gold lawsuit and was actually also Unseen at the same time so it'd be really impressive if it was deliberate.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the real Phoenix Hawk IIC, yeah.

That's the Grendel, though it's easy for it to claim Blackjack parentage with that brutalist exterior.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Saint Celestine posted:

Good post on Smoke laying. You cant fire smoke from riding BA right? You have to drop them off, wait a turn, then start laying smoke?

Yeah, correct, so you have to plan a bit ahead. If you have a slow ranged attacker and a position in mind for them to shoot from, it might be better to have the smoker ride a faster 'mech that unloads them at the appointed spot so they can get the smoke down ahead of the unit's arrival.

I've never tried using BA GLs to protect an advance - just to shield a single firing position which has proven to be fantastic in the several games I've used it - and I expect LRM smoke ammo is much better at that. I'm giving that a try in my next game - I have a Strider G and Blackjack E each with one ton of smoke so I can lay 3 heavy hexes at LRM range per turn. (Blackjack E is kind of a suboptimal choice but Field Manual FWL is one of the first sourcebooks I bought so I have nostalgia for the stuff in it. I realized I haven't used any of the units in it except for Achileus BA and the Perseus B. I'm also trying the Perseus C in the same force. I'm broadening my horizons! I expect that Light Gauss will disappoint me but I've never really used it so I guess I'll find out.)

However, ECM on BA is active while they are riding a 'mech and you can set it to Ghost Targets mode. There are precious few extremely cheap mechanizable BA suits with ECM, but they include Nighthawk Mk. XXI, Kage [ECM], Constable [ECM], and Resgate [Interdictor]. There are others that are more expensive, and are probably worth more using offensively - like the Kobold IIC and its 6 VTOL movement plus improved stealth armor and TAG. Something like that would be a drat waste to use solely for Ghost Targets when it could be causing Arrow IV rain!

edit: FWL as gently caress:

Well, I know the Black Hawk KU G won't disappoint me, it's been my favorite 'mech for a while. The Achileus is probably one of the best BA in the game but I've always shunned the Longinus in favor of normal IS Standard so that will be new to me. Tunnel Rat IV is my go-to smoker, and Gorilla Falcata is kind of filler but also I kind of wanted an excuse to take it since I saw it so who knows how that will go. (It has 1 walking move, 1+2 armor, and a small laser. I figure if I unload it in the correct spot at the correct time the worst it will do is eat some shots that could have hit something more valuable - so worth the BV in that case - but ideally I can have it make a slow enemy do the ants in the pants dance.)

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 19, 2024

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of any arctic/tundra/winter gaming mats with hexes?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

Anyone know of any arctic/tundra/winter gaming mats with hexes?

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-battlemat-clan-invasion?variant=39760003104802
Pozoristu Mountains has a a little bit of snow on it. So does Alpine/Grasslands C.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-battlemat-alien-worlds?variant=40391819231266
Lunar Base kinda looks snowy in a way. So does Lunar/Grasslands B.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battlemats?variant=39759682371618
But really the neoprene you're looking for is probably Tundra/Grasslands E.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

There's a 6'x4' neoprene mat with battletech sized hexes in the stratagem store on amazon currently on sale, if you're looking for something big. Doesn't have any terrain, though, so you'll have to supply your own hills. Deep Cut Studio also has a neoprene winter mat in 6'x4' or 4'x4', but they're more expensive and can take a bit as they're print on demand and shipped from Lithuania. Again, bring your own hills. Mats by Mars has a bunch of different print on demand mats that can be ordered in different sizes, although not all sizes can have the battletech hex overlay. Not sure what material they're made out of, exactly. The site says it's some sort of wet-erase matte banner material.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Canned Bovines posted:

Not sure what material they're made out of, exactly. The site says it's some sort of wet-erase matte banner material.

These aren't as nice a playing surface, but if you use the right markers I can attest their great for being able to draw terrain or deployment/objective zones directly on.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

I ordered one of the mugs for my dad for Christmas, it still hasn't turned up and catalyst haven't replied to my email. Is there customer service notably bad?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Explodingdice posted:

I ordered one of the mugs for my dad for Christmas, it still hasn't turned up and catalyst haven't replied to my email. Is there customer service notably bad?

I've seen enough horror stories that I absolutely will never order anything, especially physical products, directly from them. Apparently the latest thing is that their one singular CSR has been sick for the last few months and they didn't fill in for them, and even during the best of times it seemed unlikely for them to respond.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This King Crab pilot missed like 5 AC/20 shots at point blank range. The absolute worst pilot to ever disgrace the Inner Sphere.

This Eisenfaut pilot, on the other hand, landed two headshots on the Mad Cat sending another filthy Clanner to hell.

Sadly, he could not stand up to a barrage of ATM fire from the Rabid Coyote and joined the Clanner in the afterlife.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen enough horror stories that I absolutely will never order anything, especially physical products, directly from them. Apparently the latest thing is that their one singular CSR has been sick for the last few months and they didn't fill in for them, and even during the best of times it seemed unlikely for them to respond.

it's so weird my experience has been the exact opposite of the horror stories I've seen on reddit and here about months going by without communication and all that. in my case every time I had ordered anything direct from them I got it within a week and even got emails giving me the head's up that it shipped, as you'd expect from any company selling stuff online. that was a few weeks before Christmas when they put the boxed set miniature packs online, and I picked up a couple.

I'm sure it's really dependent on who's fielding the order or something there, which sucks that it's not more consistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They've definitely got issues with fulfilment. I've ended up owning two+ copies of everything I ordered in the Centurion Kickstarter and they've not gotten back to me since ~mid October about what I'm supposed to do with all the extra stuff that they sent me.