Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's morally fine to steal from njan99 specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Ive got pictures of them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gorn Myson posted:

Best crisps are Asda's premium salt and vinegar.

Used to be Co-Ops salt and vinegar but they nerfed it because too many bellends complained about how strong they were. They should have been told to gently caress off.

Local Spar has started selling Savoursmiths Desert Salt & Vinegar crisps and they have too much flavour, it's tremendous. Just load your crisps with citric acid baby

Angepain posted:

it's morally fine to steal from njan99 specifically

His posts are so bad no bugger wants to steal them,even to feed their starving family

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

theres actually a blackmarket forum where they trade my posts so if you have any hold on to them

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

At the joinery shop where I used to work in the UK, we had a bloke who'd worked there for like 10 years.

He used to come in super early (like 4-5am) and run our CNC machine, which was good for the business because it meant we could get more stuff machined in a day by having somebody else work til 5 or 6pm. He claimed to like it because it meant he could pick the kids up from school when he was done.

Anyway one day the boss happened to come in super early, and saw his car there, with a trailer attached... loaded up with about £500-1k worth of hardwood. Turns out he'd been stealing it and reselling it for god knows how long. We didn't have an actual inventory system for materials because it was hard to exactly gauge how much wood you'd use on a given job because there were varying amounts of waste etc.

Thought that took the piss, a little.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/conscription-may-be-on-its-way-back-after-nato-warns-of-all-out-war-with-russia/

quote:

Conscription may be on its way back after Nato warns of all-out war with Russia
Story by Ben Ashton

A top military officer has warned people could be conscripted into the armed forces after Nato admitted it is preparing for an all-out war with Russia.

Admiral Rob Bauer, chairman of Nato’s military committee, delivered a chilling message that civilians must brace themselves for the prospect of being called up for military service.

In a stark warning, he said we must all be ready for a full-scale conflict with Russia in the next 20 years that would completely change lives.

The 61-year-old also said large numbers of civilians would need to be mobilised in case World War Three breaks out and that governments would need systems in place to manage the process.

‘We have to realise it’s not a given that we are in peace,’ he told reporters after a meeting between Nato defence chiefs in Brussels.
‘And that’s why we have the plans, that’s why we are preparing for a conflict with Russia.

‘But the discussion is much wider. It is also the industrial base and also the people that have to understand they play a role.’
Adm Bauer, who serves as a Dutch naval officer, warned we are in ‘an era in which we need to expect the unexpected’.

He added: ‘We need public and private actors to change their mindset for an era in which everything was plannable, foreseeable, controllable and focused on efficiency to an era in which anything can happen at any time.
Oh cool. Cool cool cool.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sorry I saw CNC and I think I hauve covid

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I blame the degradation of society to the point where we consider theft a moral good.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Until we hold our elected leaders to account for their actions we have no right to judge anyone else.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I'll be too old to be conscripted by then so frankly I'm in favour. Young people are so disrespectful these days.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

article is gone

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

what utterly sensationalist dumb false bullshit.

shut the gently caress up boomer lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I just wish the people who nick things from the pharmacy would take the box too and not just sneak the product out and leave the box on the shelf. Means we don't know to order a new one.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no i dont think so. Like you can convince yourself of anything in any direction to the point of pointlessness. How big does the company have to be? Like if the boss is quite well off but in no way a millionaire? What if you are a high up in the company and steal like millions from it and it can't afford to pay its staffs pensions? Like what about stealing from the government? What about if you're michelle mone stealing from the government? Like I think ultimately we need to be in a society where we don't steal and stealing is bad.

Stealing is dishonest and dishonesty is bad.

I was shitposting but also at the same time I agree

I'm not gonna go to bat for capital but I think it is naive in the extreme to assume that e.g. an organised crime ring stealing printer ink cartridges is a fellow proletarian traveller on the road to revolution

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I once accidentally scanned a 30 quid bag of almonds in asda with the self scan and didn't notice until I got home after paying.

I went back the next day and said so and they went to check the cameras. While I was waiting the security guy said they take every new employee back there to show them you can see a pin being dropped as the resolution is so high, so as to discourage them from shoplifting. Apparently they still catch loads of people at it. Which is unfortunate.

But yeah, the system was able to find me and trace me back super easily to the aisle and see that in fact I did not pick up a giant bag of insanely expensive nuts and they refunded me. Apparently they can easily trace back shoplifting and catch regular offenders, but don't bother for accidental stuff. Also the quality/accuracy checks are just to make people think they might be caught if they tried to reduce it. But they're not actually trying to catch anyone unless you're super obviously taking the piss.

It's also set up to do them if you remove things from your cart too often. Which I do all the time due to indecisive ADHD.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Used to be Co-Ops salt and vinegar but they nerfed it because too many bellends complained about how strong they were. They should have been told to gently caress off.

How do you know this? Where do you all get your crisp news from? I feel so out of the loop.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

His posts are so bad no bugger wants to steal them,even to feed their starving family

It'd be like consuming Prions

stealing from the rich is perfectly acceptable, they do it everyday.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

How do you know this? Where do you all get your crisp news from? I feel so out of the loop.

Martin Lewis did a survey of salt and vinegar crisps and Asda were #1. Seriously lol.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Conscript deez nuts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'm fairly confident that an "all out" war with Russia will quickly mean no civilians left to conscript

What an idiot

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you think you are in any way hurting Tesco by stealing from them you are very naive with how they manage their bottom line.

When our store was doing badly (of which a part was stock loss) they just raised prices and fired some staff. And when the bottom fell out of the entire business, management got out with their cut. The upper management and the stockholders are always the last to feel any kind of negative result be it theft, economic downturn or whatever.

If you're gonna steal, go steal I don't care. But don't pretend it's some middle finger to capitalism.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 20, 2024

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

crispschat

https://twitter.com/crimlawuk/status/1748330988235587748?t=Sa5VG4EbxkMF2qcUQ8rp_g&s=19

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am a bit late to this, but the absolute best way to scam the self scanner thing at a supermarket is to have children. I let my nine-year-old do the scanning because she thinks it fun, and the one we did get randomly scanned and they found something that hadn’t scanned (completely accidentally, but definitely could get away with it if you were doing it on purpose), she just said “whoops” and they were fine with it.

I recently saw someone shoplifting in our local Sainsbury’s and I turned a blind eye to it because I’m not a piece of poo poo, but when the chap was confronted by the security guard he launched into a tirade of vile racist abuse. I guess racists are also allowed to steal bread to feed their starving family, but it made me feel conflicted.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also, I had a pack of Aldi’s own brand salt and vinegar crisps yesterday, and they absolutely bang, I would heartily recommend them

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Scientastic posted:

I recently saw someone shoplifting in our local Sainsbury’s and I turned a blind eye to it because I’m not a piece of poo poo, but when the chap was confronted by the security guard he launched into a tirade of vile racist abuse. I guess racists are also allowed to steal bread to feed their starving family, but it made me feel conflicted.

That sure is a way to make sure they're extra motivated to not let you get away.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Walkers are hosed if this is what the judge was using, their poppadoms are mostly potato.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Our Tescos has these in (in their actually Indian/Eastern European/Jamaican food aisle) and they're really lush.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/313860073

The one star review is plainly written by a moron who doesn't know what a poppadom is.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Opposite experience re: older cars for me. Older car is way cheaper to own. Insurance is way cheaper, most old cars I've driven have tended to be reliable and can be taken to the local shop instead of expensive brand maintenance. Tax is more or less the same unless getting an electric car. Not having to make loan payments for a car is great too, and no real value deprecation to take into consideration.

Granted I am more comfortable than most in working on my car(s) and I have worked a long time to get more handy and get the space and equipment to do more and more myself all the time. Been a decades long bootstrapping process honestly.

Is there a quantifiable metric to say what counts as an "old" car?

I got myself a brand new ford focus almost 6 years ago (as a treat for getting a new job) and in a years time it'll be fully paid off.

Thing is, because of working from home and not really doing too much outside of going to the shops regularly, it's only got about 17k miles.

It seems to still run perfectly (besides some battery issues from not driving it every day), and I like all the features the car has but I dunno whether most people swap to another car once they've paid off the current one or just keep using it until they run it into the ground.

Like do most folk sell a car or consider it "old" when it gets to 50k miles or something?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
'New' car = fanny magnet
'Old' car = dad magnet

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just use the car until your needs change, there's no point in shackling yourself to finance if the vehicle does everything you need it to do. 'old' is relative unless its a classic

e: but if you do decide to get rid then give me the little plastic dash trim that holds the headlight cluster switch to the right of the steering column thanks, I put my knee through mine trying to climb in without sliding the seat back after my wife had been driving it and you cannot find spares anywhere on this earth without dropping £££ on a whole new switch set

kecske fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 20, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

I got myself a brand new ford focus almost 6 years ago (as a treat for getting a new job) and in a years time it'll be fully paid off.

Thing is, because of working from home and not really doing too much outside of going to the shops regularly, it's only got about 17k miles.

It seems to still run perfectly (besides some battery issues from not driving it every day), and I like all the features the car has but I dunno whether most people swap to another car once they've paid off the current one or just keep using it until they run it into the ground.

Like do most folk sell a car or consider it "old" when it gets to 50k miles or something?

A car is old once it leaves the dealers. Time to sell is then

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kin posted:

My car is less than two years old and I’m already getting junk mail from the dealership imploring me to sell my old piece of poo poo and get a ~new car~ lol

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I love an old banger because there's no pressure to keep it pristine. If anything, it wants another dent.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

#30pFlee is trending on twitter :allears:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How can a thing that costs £15k be old after two years? Car stuff is insane.

edit: what's the thinkpad of cars, i.e. what can I get thats like 10 years old but still perfectly fine if not better than something new.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

keep punching joe posted:

How can a thing that costs £15k be old after two years? Car stuff is insane.

edit: what's the thinkpad of cars, i.e. what can I get thats like 10 years old but still perfectly fine if not better than something new.

Probably most cars at the moment. They'll still have regular buttons for things, unlike new cars which put all the controls on touch screens

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
When I first started working my first salaried job I did the typical young person thing of using the new-found income to take out a loan on a decent nearly-new car, in addition to moving out and renting my own place. Of course, when I inevitably got laid off six months later I was stuck with two massive monthly bills and no plan to pay them.

Since then my plan has always been to find the best car I could afford with no loan, or at least a minimal loan that could be paid off quickly. Cars at 2-4 years old seem to be the sweet spot between still being reliable but not too expensive, and it helps if they've been MOT'd before you get them. I'd run those for 3-5 years while saving what I could towards the next one, and repeat. So far with a bit of luck I've rarely had to deal with any significant maintenance beyond the usual servicing, tyres, and odd exhaust.

Kin posted:

For me it's always been about weighing up the current value of the car against the cost of any likely upcoming maintenance work. At around 50-75k miles you tend to get more expensive jobs like timing belt replacements so that's a good point to check what problems other people have had with the same model and what it cost them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Teachers in England left to support at-risk children after social services cuts

quote:

Increasing numbers of children suffering from domestic abuse, serious neglect and homelessness are being refused help from over-stretched social services, schools across England have told the Observer.

Child protection cases that would automatically have prompted intervention from social workers a few years ago are now routinely being passed back to schools to deal with themselves. The inability to obtain help for children whom schools think are in urgent need is taking such an emotional toll on education staff, who say they have neither the expertise nor the resources to cope, that some schools are bringing in counsellors to prevent their safeguarding teams becoming traumatised.

Thomas Michael, deputy safeguarding lead at a secondary school in the West Midlands, said: “It’s almost at the point where the door is just shut. You know calls about children aren’t going to get anywhere and will be passed back to you.”

He described a recent initial child protection conference with a local authority in which his school was pushing for a child to be referred to social services urgently, but they were told, ‘let’s wait and see what happens’. “What world is this?” he said. “We have to wait until something really serious happens to that child.”

Michael is adamant that social workers are doing their best, but says after years of funding cuts they are thinly stretched and overwhelmed. Children who are already in the system are also struggling. One pupil had seven different social workers within 12 months, and each time a social worker left, their plan went back to the start “so nothing is done”, he said.

Mo Granger (not her real surname), assistant head in a secondary school in the north-west, said staff are feeling “powerless and guilty” as numerous children’s cases that would have received help a few years ago are bounced back to the school.

She said: “We finally had one child placed in foster care after trying to refer them several times over the past two years. We are often told there isn’t enough evidence, or ‘it’s not as bad as you think’.”...

:(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A car is old if it wouldn't be out of place tootling around Havana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kin posted:

As long as it's passing its MOT (or failing without needing serious repair costs) it's probably fine. I dunno, I got my Fiesta second-hand and it's nine years old and still doing okay.

And heck, with only 17k miles yours is practically new anyway.