Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Pingiivi posted:

Buttconnect was already figured out in The Human Centipede.

requiem for a dream advanced this field far earlier, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
bought some crypto today

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dchub://SADBUTT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zam Wesell posted:

bought some crypto today

f

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

quote:

Few people in modern history have fallen faster than FTX Trading Ltd. Founder Sam Bankman-Fried, who went from a financial genius to a federal prisoner when his cryptocurrency exchange failed. Perhaps the most obvious reminder of that for Bankman-Fried is the alternative currency he has been reduced to trading in the federal penitentiary: canned mackerels.

Microeconomies exist everywhere, even in places where legal tender is not allowed. This is true for places like New York's Metropolitan Detention Center, which currently houses Bankman-Fried. All you need for a microeconomy to flourish is a universally agreed-upon unit of currency that can be exchanged for services. Since the days of Al Capone and the Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, cigarettes have functioned as the unofficial alternative currency in the federal prison system.

However, they were banned for health reasons in 2004 and canned mackerels or "macks" as they are known on the inside, became the currency of choice among federal prisoners. Macks can be traded for a variety of services, including but not limited to:

Haircuts

Laundry services

Legal brief preparation from prison lawyers

Shoe shines and shoe repair

It might be tempting to think of the mack trade inside federal prison as one lacking in any sophistication or regulation, but you would be wrong. As is the case with cryptocurrency, the value of macks even has its own benchmark: the U.S. dollar. Their value can rise or fluctuate, but the thing that makes macks so useful as an alternative currency is their shelf-life, their universal popularity and their ease of transport.

It's a bitter irony that the same skills Bankman-Fried acquired as a cryptocurrency trader while building his criminal empire would prepare him for life as a federal inmate. Unfortunately for FTX clients left holding the bag when Bankman-Fried's criminality was discovered, macks can't be used to cover their losses.

Bankman-Fried's investing career began with an internship at Jane Street Capital in 2013, where he worked with exchange-traded funds (ETFs). He would go on to cofound his own crypto-trading company Alameda Research in 2017. Shortly after that, he discovered a novel way to profit from cryptocurrency by arbitraging Bitcoin between the U.S. and Japanese markets before relocating to Hong Kong in 2018.

In 2018, Bankman-Fried founded the FTX exchange and found himself in the perfect position to take advantage of the surge in cryptocurrency value that took place during the COVID-19 pandemic. FTX's worth shot through the roof and Bankman-Fried became a billionaire who espoused viewpoints on everything from government regulation to "effective altruism." He even started his own cryptocurrency FTT. No one could have imagined his star would fall as quickly as it rose.

It’s perhaps more than incidental that this is about the same time Bankman-Fried moved FTX from Hong Kong to the Bahamas and cited the "regulatory environment" of the island nation as a reason. While in the Bahamas, Bankman-Fried and his executives lived a lifestyle of luxury while he made riskier and riskier bets through Alameda Trading, all out of the sight of U.S. regulators who would likely have uncovered this scheme before it got so out of hand.

He even went so far as to surreptitiously use FTX client funds to cover Alameda Trading's losses. Bankman-Fried's indiscretions may have never come to light if not for a failed deal with Binance, which backed out of a deal to acquire FTX once it discovered numerous irregularities in FTX's handling of client funds. This led to FTT losing an estimated 80% of its value and a shocking chain of events.

Within the span of a few chaotic days in November 2022, Bankman-Fried resigned, lost his status as a billionaire and FTX went bankrupt. Most of FTX's client holdings were wiped out along with it. Once the Securities and Exchange Commission got involved, Bankman-Fried could no longer hide the fact that he was illegally using FTX client funds to prop up Alameda Research.

Bankman-Fried was arrested in the Bahamas in December 2022 and extradited to the U.S. where a jury found him guilty on seven counts of fraud and conspiracy in November 2023. On March 28, 2024, Bankman-Fried will face a sentence of up to 110 years on those counts. It remains to be seen whether he can develop an "arbitrage" scheme for "macks". He will certainly have enough time on his hands to do so.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im the

quote:

Haircuts

Laundry services

Legal brief preparation from prison lawyers

Shoe shines and shoe repair

but with blockchain

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
sam will try the coin flip stunt again and probably get beaten with bars of soap

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
who was the mackerelcoin guy? i wanna say roger ver for some reason

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shumagorath posted:

sam will try the coin flip stunt again and probably get beaten with bars of soap

goats are not shrimp

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

raminasi posted:

who was the mackerelcoin guy? i wanna say roger ver for some reason

that was...charlie sherm? shrem? shrimp?
I think

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg a 3 slide powerpoint thats just pictures of goldfish

is that real?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I forget who posted that originally, but yeah it's real and from the time when a whole shitload of new shitcoins started coming out, file date is Feb 12th 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
real & spectacular

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Carthag Tuek posted:

is that real?

Welcome to my presentation about Fish-CryptoCoin.

*next slide*

This is the type of fish I would like to see on blockchain.

*next slide*

And this is the type of fish that should never be on blockchain. Thank you for your time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
doesn't know how to put it in presentation mode, so he's just showing everyone the slides in the editor

i should build a technologically sophisticated alternative currency

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Carthag Tuek posted:

is that real?

its someone presenting from the edit view, so of course its real

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

that was...charlie sherm? shrem? shrimp?
I think

charlie shrek

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anyway, should have called it CryptoKoi.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

God drat Jian Yang

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Isentropy posted:

requiem for a dream advanced this field far earlier, sorry

that was the two way peg

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

has anyone said fishtocoin yet

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Paladinus posted:

Anyway, should have called it CryptoKoi.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
god made me scam
https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1748865152848453816

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

has anyone said 'An online pastor was charged in CO for a $1.3 million crypto scam. He's released a 9-minute-long video explaining that the Lord told him to sell a cryptocurrency with no clear exit", and spend some of the proceeds on "a home remodel the Lord told us to do".' yet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

...! posted:

has anyone said 'An online pastor was charged in CO for a $1.3 million crypto scam. He's released a 9-minute-long video explaining that the Lord told him to sell a cryptocurrency with no clear exit", and spend some of the proceeds on "a home remodel the Lord told us to do".' yet

the losschester mansion

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

the losschester mansion

buttchester

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

lol. Felt the higher power in his bank statement

...!
Oct 5, 2003

fleecing your flock but with buttcoin

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

I love releasing a 9 minute long confession immediately after being charged with a crime, I hope he remembered to say "the police aren't allowed to watch this" at the start, the magic words to protect his gold fringes from the court

...!
Oct 5, 2003

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but someone already said 'I love releasing a 9 minute long confession immediately after being charged with a crime, I hope he remembered to say "the police aren't allowed to watch this" at the start, the magic words to protect his gold fringes from the court' months ago

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Guys, An online pastor was charged in CO for a $1.3 million crypto scam. He's released a 9-minute-long video explaining that the Lord told him to sell a cryptocurrency with no clear exit", and spend some of the proceeds on "a home remodel the Lord told us to do".

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
has anyone said i love releasing a 9 minute long confession immediately after being charged with a crime i hope he remembered to say the police aren't allowed to watch this at the start the magic words to protect his gold fringes from the court yet

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

has anyone said i love releasing a 9 minute long confession immediately after being charged with a crime i hope he remembered to say the police aren't allowed to watch this at the start the magic words to protect his gold fringes from the court yet

Checked this page and it doesn't seem so.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
i'm putting all my money in an online pastor was charged in CO for a $1.3 million crypto scam. He's released a 9-minute-long video explaining that the Lord told him to sell a cryptocurrency with no clear exit", and spend some of the proceeds on "a home remodel the Lord told us to do" coin.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
hey you head on over to pasterscamcoin.com and buy some crypdulgences

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
a home remodel the Lord told us to do

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hammerite posted:

a home remodel the Lord told us to do

the absolute gall of these people is astounding

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
i just watched the "supercut" and i have never seen somebody who blinks that much while talking. it must be some kind of tic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Matthew 22.22: "This is not finacial advice"