Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The augmented set will be pretty much best in slot until the level 73 dungeon in Shadowbringers, at which point they will be equal to the dungeon drops. Shadowbringers is very generous with gear, in both dungeons and quest rewards, so if you get most of the full set now, you'll likely be able to coast on them and the replacements you'll get while just doing Shadowbringers.

That said if you don't get the full set, you'll likely get gear to fill in the gaps as you go. It's definitely not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
iLevel weighting is the same for each piece of gear regardless of cost. Focus on your lowest accessories first, then left side gear like gloves and boots, depending on whichever ones are at a lower level.

You only need just enough to qualify for the raids. Don't worry about performance, you'll be spending most of the fights recovering from getting killed by the mechanics.

The 400 gear will last until mid-shadowbringers at the longest before you start seeing upgrades in the quest rewards. You might get to that point faster than just grinding dungeons to get a full set.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Simsmagic posted:

But getting enough tomestones to buy everything could take a while and I'm curious if it's even worth it

Just run all the roulettes to level an alt class for a day or two.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Seconding to ask a goon especially if you're on primal and in one of the four main free companies. Crafting level HQ level 70 gear is two button presses for most of us with the materials.

Beyond that, unlock the level 70 dungeons and do all your roulettes. You'll get a first time bonus with each dungeon, and they're going to rain poetics on you.

You'll definitely want to upgrade your gear through ShB, but you'll get all of that from story/side quests and dungeons for 1-2 classes.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Final? followup: I finished 6.0 late Saturday night, and it was amazing. I realized pretty quickly what the story beats were going to be on the final map, but that didn't make them any less painful. What I didn't expect was E-S and H showing up at the end and the summoning of the field of flowers, I. LOST. IT. at that point.

Yeah that part crushed me as well, and also the part right before with all the voices of different characters while you RP-walk to Meteion. I read somewhere that all those elpis flowers are watered by the tears of everyone getting to that point. Sounds accurate to me :qq:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I’m still cruising through ARR and have a monk at 45 now. I get the whole monk rotation thing, but I was really confused when I got Raptor Strike(? - the single target that gives you the damage buff). Reading up on it, this skill used to have positionals and do less damage overall, but now it’s been adjusted to have 250 potency flat. Given that True Strike, your level 4 middle form is 270 potency, is there any reason not to just use the buff one constantly instead of weaving? (Unless you’re being really sweaty for damage I guess)

It would simplify the rotation a lot, help with uptime when you’re moving between packs etc, and it frees up a button on controller, all for 20 potency of damage. Is there any harm in just dropping the skill, or are there mechanics later and I shouldn’t unlearn the muscle memory?

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 20, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Brain In A Jar posted:

I’m still cruising through ARR and have a monk at 45 now. I get the whole monk rotation thing, but I was really confused when I got Raptor Strike(? - the single target that gives you the damage buff). Reading up on it, this skill used to have positionals and do less damage overall, but now it’s been adjusted to have 250 potency flat. Given that True Strike, your level 4 middle form is 270 potency, is there any reason not to just use the buff one constantly instead of weaving? (Unless you’re being really sweaty for damage I guess)

It would simplify the rotation a lot, help with uptime when you’re moving between packs etc, and it frees up a button on controller, all for 20 potency of damage. Is there any harm in just dropping the skill, or are there mechanics later and I shouldn’t unlearn the muscle memory?

Twin Snakes? It doesn't complicate Monk's rotation that much compared to literally everything you're going to be expected to do when you unlock Monk's builder-spender mechanics. You'll be leaving a lot of damage potency on the table if you don't try to maintain that buff's uptime so it's better to just practice your rotation and get used to it. Or swap over to an easier class, like Red Mage which starts at 50.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the question is about using Twin Snakes over True Strike for your Raptor -> Coeurl link. You certainly can do that, but keep in mind that you're using your Raptor combo actions constantly throughout a fight, and that small potency difference will add up to hundreds of missed potency over the course of a long enough fight. However, if you're doing the rest of your combos fine, I doubt anyone will care that much outside of Savage raids.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure might as well get used to the back and forth weaving because you'll be doing the exact same thing with you Opo-Opo attack once you have Dragon Kick in, like, 5 levels.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah melee DPS rotations, Monk especially, just has enough going on that you may as well get acclimated to the rhythms of their gameplay early when things are relatively uncomplicated. Especially by this point, after so many reworks, the ARR-tier levels are about where classes are at their most simple. Monk in particular is all about balancing a couple of parallel interwoven single-target combos, and from level 60 onwards using using those combos to build up resources to unlock big finishing moves.

I'm not going to lie, at 45 Monk is still pretty simple and if you're feeling overwhelmed by that level of complexity, maybe rethink your hotbar or crossbar setup?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if you're feeling overwhelmed at 45 either you need to redo your bars or try a less complex class.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Runa posted:

Yeah melee DPS rotations, Monk especially, just has enough going on that you may as well get acclimated to the rhythms of their gameplay early when things are relatively uncomplicated. Especially by this point, after so many reworks, the ARR-tier levels are about where classes are at their most simple. Monk in particular is all about balancing a couple of parallel interwoven single-target combos, and from level 60 onwards using using those combos to build up resources to unlock big finishing moves.

I'm not going to lie, at 45 Monk is still pretty simple and if you're feeling overwhelmed by that level of complexity, maybe rethink your hotbar or crossbar setup?

Yeah, it’s not so much that it’s overwhelming, more that I’m not convinced why 20 potency is worth sweating over when the theory world calls for the rotation to be 1-b-c 1-2-3 1-b-3 1-2-3 1-2-c 1-b-3 with interwoven off cool-down abilities, but 1-b-c 1-b-3 1-b-3 1-b-c does close to the same thing but sustainably guarantees effectively infinite buff uptime when target switches, adds or aoe avoidance invalidates the “perfect” rotation anyway.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 20, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It will be noticeable in Savage and Ultimates. It’s better to get started on the correct rotation early to allow you to build the muscle memory, and there’s way to keep buff uptime in the kit later on. Nobody is going to care for normal content but if you plan to do harder content every potency counts.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

As an aside, I’m primarily WAR and secondary PAL for now, I just figured I’d level three classes with the Road to 80 xp buff and MSQ, which is why I’m not wholly attached to the monk lifestyle.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Just looked up a recent savage log and the monk in my static used true strike 34 times, so that's 680 total potency gain using it over twin snakes. It's not make or break but it does add up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ultimately you’re going to have two buttons for each stance and need to swap between them. The positionals are gone, but that has been core to monk since ARR and isn’t likely to change.

I have them all stacked on each other on my hotbar so it’s just a matter of hitting shift with whatever step of 1-2-3 I’m on. I think the positional requirements actually made it easier to use all the buttons because you would move for certain attacks and it made it more natural to do the intended rotation.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
honestly wait until you have Dragon Kick and see how that feels because the rotation really solidifies by 50.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Monk used to be nuts. Flank flank rear rear rear flank flank rear flank rear flank flank flank rear rear etc with dots tossed in between them.

Also monk used to be the only dps that actually wanted to cross class fracture as an extra 100 potency dot was a dps boost for them vs a loss with dragoon.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 20, 2024

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Brain In A Jar posted:

Yeah, it’s not so much that it’s overwhelming, more that I’m not convinced why 20 potency is worth sweating over when the theory world calls for the rotation to be 1-b-c 1-2-3 1-b-3 1-2-3 1-2-c 1-b-3 with interwoven off cool-down abilities, but 1-b-c 1-b-3 1-b-3 1-b-c does close to the same thing but sustainably guarantees effectively infinite buff uptime when target switches, adds or aoe avoidance invalidates the “perfect” rotation anyway.

Just try to do it right because it's a real bad idea to start learning bad habits the first time the game throws you a complication to your rotation because spoilers it's not gonna stop any time soon

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm curious what folks tend to consider the easiest melee DPS to pick up is. Of the handful of classes I've leveled to 90 most are either magical DPS or healers, so the only real experience I have with melee combat is WAR and the melee portion of RDM's rotation. I tried Reaper and it was super overwhelming, and I got Monk to like 40ish before burning out on ARR leveling. Is there a better entry point to the archetype? Similarly I actually started tanking with Paladin but fell off and it wasn't until I tried Warrior that the role made sense.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you want to simplify the Monk rotation then at least alternate Buff, +20 Potency, Buff, +20 Potency, etc. A bit more damage and easy to autopilot and that 15 seconds vanishes so drat fast anyway.

Reaper is one of the easier ones imo as it seems to cap at 1-2-3, resource dump, then 1-2-3, resource dump with positional, resource dump back to back. Haven't used it in awhile though. :shobon: Monk is extra fast, Ninja demands execution for bursting optimally. Dragoon is infamous for being a rotation with some teeth that also doesn't make the most sense until a minimum of 70.

Hmm. Maybe Samurai? It has a more robust than usual 1-2-3 but once you learn your sticker path it'll muscle memory fast and it has pretty simple conditionals. You do 1-2-3a to get a passive buff sticker, 1-2-3b to get the other, then you grab the non-buffy sticker. Then you want to spend your stickers. Did you forget to use your DoT and have 2-3 stickers? Dump a 3, lol. Then get 1 and is your 60 second DoT on the boss? No? Put it up. Yes? Get 3 stickers and damage burst. Is it an AoE situation? 2 stickers. A LOT of Samurai abilities from 50 to 90 are extra burst "use 'em when they glow!" buttons since they took out our beloved katana spin.

Obligatory: I am just a DPS nut that is good at pushing buttons but my FF14 experience is minimal.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It absolutely is Reaper, yeah.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reaper is definitely the easiest melee DPS.

Sam’s harder because you have cast times, have to build your resources through three combos, and needs to get hurt periodically to max dps.

Ninja is harder only because of mudras.

Monk has the most flexible rotation and the optimal rotation is busy but not as busy as it used to be sans positional requirements.

Dragoon has the most rigid rotation, most positional requirements, and most potential dumb ways to kill yourselves with jumps.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Reaper's probably the easiest to execute, but the multiple meters and the way some things are worded can make it look intimidating when you start trying to parse it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Similarly, for tanks Warrior is far and away the easiest. PLD is probably number two, but I haven’t played it much post-rework.

Gunbreaker has a little bit of added difficulty in charge management that neither of the prior tanks do. Dark knight is the most difficult tank, imo.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yeah the fact that reaper is all build-up meters and you can save stuff between transitions and should be preparing the right amount of resources before downtime makes it very challenging, compared to something like dragoon where you can spread it all out on a timeline that will never change, only reset to opener status

monk is the hardest because it's the fastest gcd thing, and therefore interrupts the rhythm the game gets you used to

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I maintain the high speed is the best part about MNK. it means more time punching and less time thinking about punching. People arguing in party chat? I don't have time to type I'd be two rotations behind. Smack smack smack smack smack

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My favorite thing about monk is that the core of the job has remained essentially unchanged except for the removing of positional requirements and no longer making you maintain greased lightning.

Every other job has had major reworks here and there. Monk has had the same six buttons and GOTTA GO FAST since the beginning.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Brain In A Jar posted:

If your plan is to do harder content, then you should learn proper rotations because willingly doing less damage in content where there are enrage timers is rude to the rest of the group. Jobs will continue to get more complicated as has been mentioned so it's best to not take shortcuts early on.

If you don't plan on doing harder content, then IMO do whatever is most comfy to you. It sounds like you'd be doing the rest of your rotation correctly so even with missing 20 potency every 6 GCDs, you'd still be doing better than like 3/4 of the people I've come across in casual content. A lot of people I've seen just have no idea how to properly play their chosen job(s) at all. There are some fights that do have damage checks but they are few and far between if you are not doing Extremes, Savages, or Ultimates.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, like, despite all the talk you might see about optimization on here and elsewhere, what matters outside of Savage/Extreme content for the majority of people is simply putting in some effort to learn the job's rotation and doing your best to execute it. I usually run ACT in dungeons for my own amusement, and the sorts of people who stand out as aggressively not contributing are doing far, far less than 20 fewer potency every combo cycle.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite thing about monk is that the core of the job has remained essentially unchanged except for the removing of positional requirements and no longer making you maintain greased lightning.

Every other job has had major reworks here and there. Monk has had the same six buttons and GOTTA GO FAST since the beginning.

The blitz system is completely new lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

johnny park posted:

The blitz system is completely new lol

I was meaning the core dps rotation. Yes, there are extra oGCDs and things. It's still the same form switching and mostly the same GCDs in the same order. Each expansion has just added a little on top of what the core of monk has been since ARR.

High end monk is absolutely insane, though. The top monks are nuts.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Vermain posted:

Yeah, like, despite all the talk you might see about optimization on here and elsewhere, what matters outside of Savage/Extreme content for the majority of people is simply putting in some effort to learn the job's rotation and doing your best to execute it. I usually run ACT in dungeons for my own amusement, and the sorts of people who stand out as aggressively not contributing are doing far, far less than 20 fewer potency every combo cycle.
Healers with 0 dps in endgame mob pulls who just sit there casting Benefic/Cure 1 :argh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Healers with 0 dps in endgame mob pulls who just sit there casting Benefic/Cure 1 :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GilliamYaeger posted:

uh, how else am I going to get Freecure procs? Elitist goons telling me how to play again. :rolleyes:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

death to positionals

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Relyssa posted:

death to positionals

joy awaits you in eureka and bozja

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
imagine not constantly dosis poking and dropping phlegma balls while jumping around in yuck and making your tank hit the big mits because you've got better things to do

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ye, the poo poo that gets eyebrows raised is more like people doing their single target combo in a pack of a dozen mobs or never doing their job quests so they're missing all their big abilities at lv80. not getting monk's interwoven combos quite right barely warrants notice below savage level

but, as has been mentioned, muscle memory rules so it's advisable to do your best to do it properly as early and often as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Positionals are good because the reward is minor enough that it doesn't matter a ton if you miss them but allows a clear path for optimization by figuring out where in a fight you can squeeze in an extra positional or if there is a better spot to use True North etc.