Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 13, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
why do we call them shops anyways

its like how everybody that works in food service calls a restaurant a store

im not hatin im just curious

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jonny 290 posted:

why do we call them shops anyways

its like how everybody that works in food service calls a restaurant a store

im not hatin im just curious

it's like a workshop

but no productive work is happening

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ye olde nette-wercking shoppe

Jan 16, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 16, 2024

Jan 20, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 20, 2024

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's amazing to me the benefits of fiber, not just the synchronous data transfer rates, but also the LATENCY (Local fiber 1g/1g vs. local Cable Modem 150/10)

too bad I'm not a cs:go player or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they do say you need to have fibre

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's going to be really hard dropping 1g/1g glass for whatever dogshit cable i end up with when i move to desert hinterlands. loving poo poo it's so nice to upload a 700GB video to youtube in like two minutes or w/e

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
it’s not 1G/1G but it Starlink isn’t too bad downstream wise, I get about 300Mbps. upload is going to hurt though.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

it's amazing to me the benefits of fiber, not just the synchronous data transfer rates, but also the LATENCY (Local fiber 1g/1g vs. local Cable Modem 150/10)

too bad I'm not a cs:go player or something

error correction overhead ftw

the difference between dsl and fiber is even more pronounced

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

it’s not 1G/1G but it Starlink isn’t too bad downstream wise, I get about 300Mbps. upload is going to hurt though.

i don't use the racist transphobe boer's products but yeah ive heard the performance is Okay

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
don’t worry soon you will have the choice of several terrible billionaires to buy leosat services from

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
about a year ago when our options for internet access for a company wide gathering was either whatever garbage the hotel was charging $3k/day for versus starlink we asked for a demo of their wifi and also threw down a starlink terminal and some random gear from our lab to provide wireless and firewalling for it.

the starlink terminal with no constellation training pulled 600 Mbps in the middle of loving nowhere. the hotel's "premium" wifi was doing about 2 Mbps per device

I hope elon musk gets every cancer known to god and man but starlink works pretty drat well

012124_5
Jan 22, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 22, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kazinsal posted:

about a year ago when our options for internet access for a company wide gathering was either whatever garbage the hotel was charging $3k/day for versus starlink we asked for a demo of their wifi and also threw down a starlink terminal and some random gear from our lab to provide wireless and firewalling for it.

the starlink terminal with no constellation training pulled 600 Mbps in the middle of loving nowhere. the hotel's "premium" wifi was doing about 2 Mbps per device

I hope elon musk gets every cancer known to god and man but starlink works pretty drat well

drat, did the hotel stop running their jammer that intentionally fucks up all competing wifi systems

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

error correction overhead ftw

the difference between dsl and fiber is even more pronounced

dsl stands for "dat loser poo poo"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson posted:

dsl stands for "dat loser poo poo"

nice acronym, fucko

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

event center wifi is cursed. it's a surprise you didn't have to pay off a union at $1.5k/day just to be allowed to bring in your own gear.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

don't get me wrong, i'm all for unions, but the poo poo pulled at event centers is wild. thousands of dollars to to both the event center and union to bring in your own gear, attendees getting screamed at because they moved a chair from one table to another. presenters getting screamed at because they dare plug a laptop into an outlet. ugh.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

outhole surfer posted:

don't get me wrong, i'm all for unions, but the poo poo pulled at event centers is wild. thousands of dollars to to both the event center and union to bring in your own gear, attendees getting screamed at because they moved a chair from one table to another. presenters getting screamed at because they dare plug a laptop into an outlet. ugh.

yeah but they’re just extorting megacorps that have the money so it’s a net good

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

yeah but they’re just extorting megacorps that have the money so it’s a net good

megacorps as well as academic conferences, as well as pinball tournaments...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jabor posted:

drat, did the hotel stop running their jammer that intentionally fucks up all competing wifi systems

these deauth systems got murked by the fcc; they hit the hotel companies that were using them hard enough to make it untenable

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Captain Foo posted:

nice acronym, fucko

it works in the original French

012224_2
Jan 23, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2024

012424_2
Jan 25, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 25, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

de poo poo loseur

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

any recommendations on a reputable ipv4 broker?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

outhole surfer posted:

any recommendations on a reputable ipv4 broker?

none here. sorry

Feb 3, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 3, 2024

Feb 3, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 3, 2024

Feb 10, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 11, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its really weird that this speciifc thread that no one really posts in anymore is such an epic rereg guy fixture

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

post hole digger posted:

its really weird that this speciifc thread that no one really posts in anymore is such an epic rereg guy fixture

mental illness fixations dont really have rational explanations

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

graph posted:

mental illness fixations dont really have rational explanations

*glances at forums, as a whole*

i see, yeah

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

this is the best thread in yospos

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i spent some time telling people that ospf was a better solution to deciding whether to use network 1 or network 2 when things wanted to talk to each other.

the existing alternative being stupid dns games and local /etc/hosts overrides

apparently i was wrong because ospf is hard or something. :shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It can be, if you're not a bit studied in it and have deployed it before. Sometimes people stay within their comfort zones when a project is urgent or pressure is high. I don't know the situation but not every computer toucher can instantly grasp anything new to them. i for example cannot write computer programs

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
it seems to have gone away on real real important servers for the most part, replaced by link aggregation

despite that solving a totally different set of problems

the “which network” decision problem still exists and people are writing new magic smart bridging widgets to mash all the networks together to make the problem go away, introducing new and exciting failure modes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fresh_cheese posted:

the existing alternative being stupid dns games and local /etc/hosts overrides

apparently i was wrong because ospf is hard or something. :shrug:

:stonk: