Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Finland, or North Japan as it's often called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah I feel this way, too, sometimes

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Should I start another huge derail of Americans not understanding that civilized peoples don't need plungers?

A system that "never needs maintenance" is actually a system that is just not maintainable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm literally loling here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This and the old "yeah but if doors open outwards anyone can just pop the hinge pins :911:" are so amazing.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That's it. God, that poo poo will clog a toilet like nothing else and fail to clean your rear end too!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Computer viking posted:

They're your weird ancestors, you get to keep them :colbert:

Izal?

Nuh-uh, I'm mostly German and French. Which I can't decide if better or worse.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wiegieman posted:

A system that "never needs maintenance" is actually a system that is just not maintainable.

On the other hand: if (like the Swiss) you used glazed ceramic pipes - glazed on the inside & out - its a lot less likely to snag solid waste than cast-iron.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

This gentleman does site inspections in Australia. He is pretty entertaining and the properties he shows are... just. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXafnJY4jJI

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Time to bring back duck-and-cover drills, 'cause that's an icy B.M.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
When klingons take a poo poo do battle with a toilet, and they plug it up they consider that poo poo to be an honorable and valiant warrior that refuses to die. Instead of using a toilet plunger or a poo poo knife, they have what is known as a blg'taq'eh bat'leth which translates to english as the "poo poo sword of honor" which they use to have one final fight with the giant targ log.

They then sing songs and tell tales of the battle of the bowels.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PainterofCrap posted:

On the other hand: if (like the Swiss) you used glazed ceramic pipes - glazed on the inside & out - its a lot less likely to snag solid waste than cast-iron.

In the States we almost universally use PVC or ABS, which seems reasonably smooth inside but I'm sure leaches micro plastics into the water supply somehow because everything does.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cat Hatter posted:

In the States we almost universally use PVC or ABS, which seems reasonably smooth inside but I'm sure leaches micro plastics into the water supply somehow because everything does.

*in new construction. anything older than like what, 1980 is not using pvc.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

You got a plumber to come out at 1am to unclog a toilet?

Bad Munki posted:

I think the question was less “how” and more “why”

It was more like 11:30pm when the plumber arrived, but closer to 1am by the time he was done destroying the neighbour's toilet.

I had obviously tried and failed to unclog the toilet with a plunger, and the problem turned out to be roots in the pipe just outside the property. The plumber did manage to clear it enough to continue working, but the City had to come and dig up the whole pipe.

As to "why", this would be a combination of my having been on pretty good terms with the landlords (they were the ones who called out the plumber), the landlords living above us (on the same blocked sewage line), and the local Residential Tenancy Act being pretty explicit about landlords having to sort out blocked sewer pipes ASAP. The pipes blocked up around 9 or 10 in the evening, and they had a plumber out within the hour.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, yeah, if it’s the landlord’s problem and dime, send it, 24/7, zero hesitation.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

`Nemesis posted:

True, but comparing to cast iron is a bit disingenuous considering Home Depot etc. don't really even sell parts for it because the only people who've installed it in the past 44 years are weirdos that want more of a challenge or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat Hatter posted:

True, but comparing to cast iron is a bit disingenuous considering Home Depot etc. don't really even sell parts for it because the only people who've installed it in the past 44 years are weirdos that want more of a challenge or something.

Huh, there must be people like that, right? Guys who just want to play Ironman difficulty on their actual house.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Lemniscate Blue posted:

:golfclap: Exceptional.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Huh, there must be people like that, right? Guys who just want to play Ironman difficulty on their actual house.

I've heard people try to explain why they prefer cast iron but it costs more, is harder to work with, and somehow doesn't last as long so I suspect "The Dark Souls Of Plumbing" has more to do with it than "slightly quieter pipes".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don’t know if you already have kids but if you don’t, you or your spouse should get tested ASAP.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm literally loling here.

In a local dialect here "lol" is a slang word for a turd. Predates the internet naturally.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

wait what else does lol mean

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
lots of love

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wild EEPROM posted:

lots of love

just heard your grandma died lol

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Where is this?

Ice says "Nordic country", toilet says "Japan"

The north of Japan gets super cold, could be from there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doesn't Chicago require copper for all DWV pipe?

Ceramic pipe seems like it would be very resistant to clogging but would get absolutely wrecked by any attempt to clean it other than hydrojetting.

Still better than using "pipe" made from tar-soaked paper mush

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 19, 2024

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Shifty Pony posted:

Doesn't Chicago require copper for all DWV pipe?
Nope. The unions did fight PVC for a long time, so it wasn't allowed by code until later than the rest of the country - that may be what you're thinking of.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The UK has a fetish for historically listing its buildings, so you bet there are councils out there who'll deny your request to replace cast iron pipes with PVC. There's even an industry here for PVC pipes that are moulded to look like cast iron pipes in the hope it appeases the aesthetic police.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Slugworth posted:

Nope. The unions did fight PVC for a long time, so it wasn't allowed by code until later than the rest of the country - that may be what you're thinking of.

Also Chicago requires all electrical wire be run in conduit, no romex in the walls allowed. So that's sort of a weird pipe thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

:golfclap:

`Nemesis posted:

*cries in 1964 cast iron that was replaced at great cost with PVC last year.*

Christ almighty.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://x.com/RealEstateMaxi/status/1747362465266978979?s=20

https://x.com/SeedyZ_/status/1748129393111957533?s=20

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chuck e Cheese band goes

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My parents had something similar that they put all the animatronic Christmas decorations on. It stayed empty the other 11 months of the year.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

12 foot skeleton could chill there in the offseason

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A ladder and it's the guest loft

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

titty_baby_ posted:

A ladder Tarzan swing and it's the guest loft

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/sheetz/status/1748373693233799358

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

My neighborhood has this and they're all starting to fail. Just this year two houses on my block had to dig a new line out halfway into the street. The plumber said we'll know to replace ours when sewage starts backing up into our basement. :toot:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Modus Pwnens posted:

My neighborhood has this and they're all starting to fail. Just this year two houses on my block had to dig a new line out halfway into the street. The plumber said we'll know to replace ours when sewage starts backing up into our basement. :toot:

Can they be lined prophylactically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Any opportunity for this:

http://i.imgur.com/RqSSbcL.mp4