Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I read it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It seems a bit, i dunno, hyper cynical? Like the author is jerking off about how crassly cynical they can be to people honestly asking for advice in good faith.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fivemarks posted:

It seems a bit, i dunno, hyper cynical? Like the author is jerking off about how crassly cynical they can be to people honestly asking for advice in good faith.

Honest question: Have you ever worked in an intel shop?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

GIP in the late 2000s to the mid-2010s was a wild place. This is a timeless classic from that era.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Midjack posted:

I read it every time.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Honest question: Have you ever worked in an intel shop?

I'm also not going to defend Intel guys. I come from a military family (Navy, not Air Force) but if Intel Officers in the Air force are anything like Officers in the navy, they're probably some of the shittiest human beings in existence. All I'm saying is, there's a point where you stop making your point and you sound like a Foamy the Squirrel rant.

Edit: Changed the reference to something less topical.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 14, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As someone who has never been anywhere near such a career, how accurate (or not) would y'all say that rant is?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Quackles posted:

As someone who has never been anywhere near such a career, how accurate (or not) would y'all say that rant is?

I rubbed elbows with a lot of SCIF rats, Navy ones though, and yeah its pretty accurate. Our Intel officer wore a flightsuit every friday and also random days because the pilots did, even though he'd never been in a plane but once, and that plane was a P-8. He was also a total douchenozzle.

He wasn't married, and there was only dudes in our SCIF, so I can't really evaluate the parts of the story about a horrible married life or him dicking down female enlisted who also work in the SCIF.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 14, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Only thing he left out was her forced inability to maintain a career that isn't an MLM scheme.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
As I recall she came back a few years later saying that her husband was possibly faking being allergic to their dogs and she was on Lexapro, so, Shim was right.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Quackles posted:

I'm not intel. I'm comm. In the course of my career, I've done a couple of assignments as the organically attached comm support for intel squadrons (ie. I was part of the intel unit and I exclusively worked for them, rather than being part of the airbase comm squadron which supports everybody in the garrison).

I've also been directly assigned to an Army military intelligence brigade.

The difference was night and day. The Army intel folks were more or less normal. I enjoyed that assignment and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Might have been slightly atypical because a bunch of those joes were Army National Guard who had been activated on Title 10 orders, so they had regular lives and didn't build their sense of self around the Army.

The Air Force intel crews... well, Shim's language was more colorful than what I'd use but the substance of what he said was broadly correct. There were absolutely normal, decent officers and enlisted on those Air Force intel teams, but there were also the most wretched gremlin dipshits. And they outnumbered the chill ones.

Nothing quite like pulling up floor tiles to run a new fiber cable, only to discover the rotting remains of weeks worth of half eaten meals (and insects, and a dead rat) because the intel assholes didn't want to take out their garbage.

(Edit for clarification: the intel airmen were pulling up the floor tiles and throwing their waste on the ground, and then replacing the floor tiles afterward. Bunch of goddamn feral animals)

This was a semi-regular occurrence, regardless of how often the organic comm and CE airmen complained to their squadron commander.

As for the whole fake pilot nonsense, it's real. Good god, it's real, and worse than any other non-aircrew job in the Air Force that I've seen, and after 15 years, I've seen most of them. No flight suits in my Air Force intel units, but they absolutely spoke like they were trying to be Maverick and Iceman. Just nonstop aviation terminology. They even had their own local bar that was an 'intel bar' with a bunch of photos and badges from the unit on the walls. Cargo culting what the aircrew did. Somehow even worse than when the Air Force wanted to boost morale in the comm field, so they decided to give all the comm officers wings to wear on their uniforms. At least the comm officers had the self-awareness to know what a joke that was. Intel would have eaten that up and begged for seconds.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 14, 2024

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

100%

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah but it's funny as hell so who cares

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah but it's funny as hell so who cares

It's not the mid 2000's anymore.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

I got you boo, TW before you read the below, this is 2013 era SA, skip this post entirely if you don't want to read it.

I remembered it having all kinds of language that we don't use anymore, but I did not remember just how overtly misogynistic rather than casually misogynistic the whole screed is. Just dripping with it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I can’t believe I’m posting in this loving cesspit of a thread again, but stay on topic y’all.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Speaking of, Vent, is this the place to lol and lmao at the incredibly racist poo poo getting posted by Zionists on Twitter at South Africa?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
As a rule, no, don’t post incredibly racist poo poo anywhere, but I shouldn’t need to tell you that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
We're smoking spiders, ya oval office

Edit: sorry wrong thread, be wary when you dab and post

Leave fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 14, 2024

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Leave posted:

We're smoking spiders, ya oval office

Edit: sorry wrong thread, be wary when you dab and post

Nah, this is the right thread.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Aww Israel and SA were best buddies before, what happened in April 1994?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Aww Israel and SA were best buddies before, what happened in April 1994?

April 27 posted:

South Africa holds its first fully multiracial elections, marking the final end of the last vestiges of apartheid. Nelson Mandela wins the elections and is sworn in as the first democratically elected president the following month.

No idea

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

orange juche posted:

I got you boo, TW before you read the below, this is 2013 era SA, skip this post entirely if you don't want to read it.

:dogstare:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I remembered it having all kinds of language that we don't use anymore, but I did not remember just how overtly misogynistic rather than casually misogynistic the whole screed is. Just dripping with it.

The older I get, the more I realized those of us who grew up in the 90s/00s internalized a lot of misogyny barely disguised as humor, same with homophobia. Reactions to burgeoning equality in a deeply classist, capitalist society, yes. hosed up? Tremendously. Once transgressive humor stops punching up, it’s just another kind of violence.

And I’ll have a large watermelon daiquiri as well, thank you, I have exact change.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Count Roland posted:

Nah wasn't looking for highlights, was wondering if anyone knew about the specific borders before I took the time to go deeper.

Anyway, I did just dig it up now. Apparently its called the Green Line. It comes from the armistice agreements signed by Israel and the Arab states in '49, after the war. The line is a demarcation line, never intended to be a border, but there you go. A larger territory around Gaza was proposed as part of the partition plan of '47 but never materialized.

It is not a border in any sense. It is a fence. Israel is clear about this because they don’t recognize Gaza as an independent state and have enforced blockades and increased setback within Gaza, and fired live ammo into protesters on the other side. If it was border, this and the sea blockade would be an act of war. However, Israeli and western media frequently refer to it as a border, particularly during the 2018 protests at the Gaza fence where the IDF per policy used live ammo against at least a few hundred unarmed protesters for getting too close to the fence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: NM

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

I'm not intel. I'm comm. In the course of my career, I've done a couple of assignments as the organically attached comm support for intel squadrons (ie. I was part of the intel unit and I exclusively worked for them, rather than being part of the airbase comm squadron which supports everybody in the garrison).

I've also been directly assigned to an Army military intelligence brigade.

The difference was night and day. The Army intel folks were more or less normal. I enjoyed that assignment and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Might have been slightly atypical because a bunch of those joes were Army National Guard who had been activated on Title 10 orders, so they had regular lives and didn't build their sense of self around the Army.

The Air Force intel crews... well, Shim's language was more colorful than what I'd use but the substance of what he said was broadly correct. There were absolutely normal, decent officers and enlisted on those Air Force intel teams, but there were also the most wretched gremlin dipshits. And they outnumbered the chill ones.

Nothing quite like pulling up floor tiles to run a new fiber cable, only to discover the rotting remains of weeks worth of half eaten meals (and insects, and a dead rat) because the intel assholes didn't want to take out their garbage.

(Edit for clarification: the intel airmen were pulling up the floor tiles and throwing their waste on the ground, and then replacing the floor tiles afterward. Bunch of goddamn feral animals)

This was a semi-regular occurrence, regardless of how often the organic comm and CE airmen complained to their squadron commander.

As for the whole fake pilot nonsense, it's real. Good god, it's real, and worse than any other non-aircrew job in the Air Force that I've seen, and after 15 years, I've seen most of them. No flight suits in my Air Force intel units, but they absolutely spoke like they were trying to be Maverick and Iceman. Just nonstop aviation terminology. They even had their own local bar that was an 'intel bar' with a bunch of photos and badges from the unit on the walls. Cargo culting what the aircrew did. Somehow even worse than when the Air Force wanted to boost morale in the comm field, so they decided to give all the comm officers wings to wear on their uniforms. At least the comm officers had the self-awareness to know what a joke that was. Intel would have eaten that up and begged for seconds.

I worked with AF intel officers for a few years and can 100% confirm all of this. It made my skin crawl that they gave themselves call signs and I refused to use them. Not all of them like that, but thinking about it now I don't think any of the good ones actually stayed in the career field for long.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I worked with AF intel officers for a few years and can 100% confirm all of this. It made my skin crawl that they gave themselves call signs and I refused to use them. Not all of them like that, but thinking about it now I don't think any of the good ones actually stayed in the career field for long.

You should 100% ignore self-assigned callsigns, unless they later did something dumb that made the callsign ironic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Xakura posted:

You should 100% ignore self-assigned callsigns, unless they later did something dumb that made the callsign ironic.

If they give themselves a call sign that's how you know they're not actually a pilot. Try that in an actual flying unit and see what happens to you.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

E: I was about to clarify but holy poo poo that URL.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
“Double deuce”

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Why the gently caress is America financing this poo poo?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Borscht posted:

Homestar Runner is an institution and if anything deserves more funding!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Borscht posted:

In order to bring about the Christian End Times, "Armageddon", Israel (which is a variably nebulous term, in context) needs to be in an existential fight for survival. So the USA, being chock full of death cult psychopaths, intends to ensure that the various requirements for triggering the End Times are in place.

If this sounds bonkers to you, congrats you're not [entirely] crazy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Midjack posted:

I read it every time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I kind of though this would be helpful in identifying fascist "pro-palestine" voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vea-HXQ7V0

America also has the largest amount of diaspora of any other country and there are fascists in OUR country that want to deport people "back" to places they have never been, and can make money doing it.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Borscht posted:

You must be new here

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

After being late to two world wars thanks to isolationism, the US decided to involve itself in every future war to make up for it

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

You must be new here

It’s just that usually America expects some quid pro its quo. Israel just seems like a hole for >$3.8 billion a year and all Americans seem to get in return is terrorism, refugees, and bad press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

I kind of though this would be helpful in identifying fascist "pro-palestine" voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vea-HXQ7V0

America also has the largest amount of diaspora of any other country and there are fascists in OUR country that want to deport people "back" to places they have never been, and can make money doing it.

I'm not watching that video, but seeing Jake Shields, MMA fighter of some minor note, on that list makes me think that these people aren't overly influential. Or so I hope.