Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Season's over, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Small White Dragon posted:

Season's over, right?

The Xmas show was number 22, so, yes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Finally binged the rest of this season and it was still great. The multiverse/Shaggy and Christmas episodes were definitely the highlights for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man I've forgotten just how amazing Tears Of A Clooney is. Really started the trend of knocking one out of the park to end the season. So much going on, and I love that they never ever say what Hayley had. It's like season 6 Simpsons good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm an animal! A broken, filthy animal!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Brawnfire posted:

I'm an animal! A broken, filthy animal!

I feel like it's been way too long since Mertz showed up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

THE AGE OF MERTZ BEGINS NOWWWW!!!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/gD2Dc0q.gifv

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm gonna keep on swinging my baby lasso till I catch me a man!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"That's a little dark."
"Not at all. Life is a banquet, and death is the dessert."
"I love dessert!"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Speaking of early seasons, who is that girl who occasionally is shown to be steve's friend, like in the moonbounce episode? I know she's just a background character and one who at this point has been put in the vault, but they also gave Parker a name so I wonder if she's got a fanwiki article too

I just noticed this watch-through that Parker first showed up, name and all, back in Vacation Goo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

...the robbed bank...?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Francine, stop. My penis is not a dog. It's Batman."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there a better B plot than Steve’s weird R Kelly song in Criss Cross Applesauce?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'm fond of Steve and Roger in a clown-school homage to Whiplash. The scene with the clown legal team is great.

It's my "aclowntant". You know, a clown accountant? He's got this giant calculator that only ever adds up to "boobs." Pretty funny, but, frankly, I think he's been stealing from me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The best B-plot will always be Roger's Limo.

Honorable mention to "Francine, I haven't been entirely truthful with you."

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

limp_cheese posted:

The best B-plot will always be Roger's Limo.

Honorable mention to "Francine, I haven't been entirely truthful with you."

"Are you really going to kill 5 people over 20 dollars?" "Are you really going to ask that to the guy who killed 6 people for 19 dollars just last week?" "Oh yeah.."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm still not a fan of it as I feel Roger works better when he's harmless and somewhat pathetic, like what made the "elbow dive that exploded a guy's head" gag funny was the reveal that Roger didn't understand that it killed the guy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Roger trying to get the Rain Duck wine from Greg and Terry.

"Wait a minute... There's no Grey Goose event in Reykjavík this weekend!"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The best part of the rain duck incident was how it resolved, with Francine storming Greg and Terry's house while muttering about spending 600 dollars on dominoes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"Tell them how your killed our baby. Amanda."

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was thinking about the one that ended up with Roger starting a cockfighting ring. For some reason, I'll never forget the delivery of:
"Females go to farm, lay eggs. Men get culled."
"Ah yes... culled..."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm on Season 13 and just went through a stretch of episodes with great Roger B-stories. Roger is revealed to be an absentee state senator in Nevada...and the CEO of the chemical company that's poisoning the local water supply. Roger tries to go to college, but instead gets distracted by a student credit card offer and wants to earn reward points to get a branded jacket. Roger becomes obsessed with the "Dylan" card in Hayley's old 90's dating board game and tracks down the model as an adult. (There's also "Stan, comparison shopping for potential retirement homes, signs up for an overnight stay in one and is drugged into senility by an unscrupulous nurse" in there that's also fun.)

Alxprit posted:

I was thinking about the one that ended up with Roger starting a cockfighting ring. For some reason, I'll never forget the delivery of:
"Females go to farm, lay eggs. Men get culled."
"Ah yes... culled..."

Ha-ha, you thought they get top hats!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

JethroMcB posted:

I'm on Season 13 and just went through a stretch of episodes with great Roger B-stories. Roger is revealed to be an absentee state senator in Nevada...and the CEO of the chemical company that's poisoning the local water supply.

No, Roger, it's huge honesty time.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

One of my favorite things is the show is the family getting preemptively annoyed that someone they are about to meet is going to be Roger. One of the highlights is “of course I’m not him. I’m the dog” and then Stan’s “we’re going to get there and it’s going to be you isn’t it” “strong possibility”

But the best has to be Steve describing the clown professor before, in stride, going “and ah crap it’s going to be Roger isn’t it” with the smash cut to Roger storming in with full clown makeup on paired with the severe black Whiplash outfit.

The show really hit its stride when they embraced Roger being inexplicably magic and able to do anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a Tik Tok trend right now of people using Steve's lines from the clown college episode.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I love how many variations they've gotten out of that Roger bit you mentioned. Eight Fires with the airplane came to mind too.

Ditto for riffing on the intro, like Dick crashing or Stan's DNA making a bunch of other people act it out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tom Tucker posted:

One of my favorite things is the show is the family getting preemptively annoyed that someone they are about to meet is going to be Roger. One of the highlights is “of course I’m not him. I’m the dog” and then Stan’s “we’re going to get there and it’s going to be you isn’t it” “strong possibility”

But the best has to be Steve describing the clown professor before, in stride, going “and ah crap it’s going to be Roger isn’t it” with the smash cut to Roger storming in with full clown makeup on paired with the severe black Whiplash outfit.

"I'm just the secretary!"

In the episode where Steve gets put in the class for delinquents, he has a great "Ohhh, no." when Roger shows up as the "inspiring" teacher who isn't going to give up on these troubled kids. (Great episode all around.)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

There's a Tik Tok trend right now of people using Steve's lines from the clown college episode.

in what manner

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Always liked the bumper pool one where Haley just nopes out once she sees Roger.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tom Tucker posted:

The show really hit its stride when they embraced Roger being inexplicably magic and able to do anything.

My favorite variation on this gag is when Roger is the one surprised or annoyed when a character does (or doesn't) end up being him.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

IRoger tries to go to college, but instead gets distracted by a student credit card offer and wants to earn reward points to get a branded jacket.

NEIDERHOFF!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awk7F21mD04

The loving casket gets me every time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone ever written an essay or something on the style of this show's comedy? It's starkly different than similar shows, and honestly feels more Mr. Show than anything else with the way they commit to jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoMdDu6ryI
This clip has always struck me as a great example, in that it's just joke upon joke that builds on the previous one, and takes every single option into the weirdest direction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Chad Jihad posted:

in what manner

Pretty much the same way as the show. Just inserting whoever they're talking about with the show dialogue over it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah everyone counts out American Dad as just Family Guy light but it’s actually some sort of absurdist self-aware magical-realism exploration of our culture that really doesn’t have any parallels. The show creatively just took off Season 4+ and never looked back

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah everyone counts out American Dad as just Family Guy light but it’s actually some sort of absurdist self-aware magical-realism exploration of our culture that really doesn’t have any parallels. The show creatively just took off Season 4+ and never looked back

I would argue that started happening S3E1 with the Steve clones that Stan and Francine raised separately. After that poo poo got weird and the show was better for it.

The Francine Steve is the most perfect man-child depiction in media and its glorious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nichael posted:

Has anyone ever written an essay or something on the style of this show's comedy? It's starkly different than similar shows, and honestly feels more Mr. Show than anything else with the way they commit to jokes.

This clip has always struck me as a great example, in that it's just joke upon joke that builds on the previous one, and takes every single option into the weirdest direction.

I’d love to read such a breakdown, honestly. At times it’s full on Dadaist surrealism and it works so well. And this moment especially is a real high point of the show for me. :3:

Edit: Stan’s haunted little ‘NooOOooo’ gets me every time. :allears:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 21, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nichael posted:

Then they revisit it at the end of the episode and Francine beats the crap out of him.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's so loving good, it just goes absolutely full on into any joke and doesn't back off and it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

What I appreciate is them inventing characters for jokes that never have to come back, rather than relying solely on pop culture for their abuse. The aforementioned clip is a good example of that too - this sadistic employee person never reappears, and why should he? He did his job.