Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How much is Taiwan involved in Ukraine? They're the country that could learn the most from observing Ukrainian tactics up close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah its one thing to point and laugh at the corruption cases - China certainly has big corruption problems in its military. The water in the missiles is akin to the 'eggbox ERA' or 'crumbly tires'

But its another thing to dismiss them entirely as a complete joke or paper tiger. They are engaging in an enormous military buildup and are churning out modern aircraft, ships and missiles left and right - including some quite modern designs that are leaps and bounds more capable than what they had before.

Even Russia - which probably has even worse corruption issues - is showing that even if your military isn;t as capable as your propaganda touts, if you choose to go all in you can still utterly ruin your neighbour's future in the process.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If the war between china and the west is going to be about scaling up war production like WW2 was, my money is going to be on china.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

If the war between china and the west is going to be about scaling up war production like WW2 was, my money is going to be on china.
We definitely woudln't be able to do it, it might require increasing state debt and/or raising taxes to finance it so we'll just have to lose that one

The X-man cometh posted:

How much is Taiwan involved in Ukraine? They're the country that could learn the most from observing Ukrainian tactics up close
As far as I can tell, not much other than maybe sending a few drones?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

spankmeister posted:

i'll take that bet and your money.

the west has substantially longer range cruise missiles and much better air defense. a total war would definitely see those missiles used on existing industrial complexes, with relative impunity from the chinese cruise missiles that could even reach their targets.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alright I'll start saving bottlecaps to pay the debt. :sigh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

i'll take that bet and your money.

the west has substantially longer range cruise missiles and much better air defense. a total war would definitely see those missiles used on existing industrial complexes, with relative impunity from the chinese cruise missiles that could even reach their targets.

Only one way to find out for sure! Better we strike first then to maximize the element of surprise.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The X-man cometh posted:

Two pretty different situations (land invasion vs amphibious), but the biggest lessons they could learn from Ukraine would be.

1. Anti-missile defense (cruise and ballistic)
2. Anti-Air defense (drone and jet)
3. Anti-ship missiles (surface and sub)
4. Artillery, artillery, artillery (tube and MLRS)
5. Mines! Mines everywhere! (esp. anti-armour)

Wikipedia says that they are not skimping on the first 4, and most nations rarely publish the number of mines they have laying around.

Ukraine and Russia (and unfortunately Belarus) share a massively long border and it's pretty much impossible to hold the line against the initial invasion. You have to cede territory, regroup, and counter-attack when that kind of space is involved. You can fall back for days, weeks, months, or even years, and still not actually lose. Taiwan on the other hand doesn't have the luxury of ceding time or space since they are a relatively small nation.

Taiwan does in fact have some advantages though.

The most obvious one is the ~170km wide Taiwan Strait, meaning that China has to physically sail or fly every soldier and piece of equipment to Taiwan as opposed to taking them by rail to the border and having everything walk/drive across. This makes the logistics of an invasion exponentially more difficult. Because of the geography of Taiwan and the patterns of the tides, currents, etc. They know that there are only so many suitable locations for amphibious landings, even fewer that are facing the mainland, and even fewer still that are not literally walled off by impassable terrain.

Taiwan's strategy would be to keep the PLAN out of the strait, the PLAAF out of their airspace, and the PLA off their beaches. If the PLAN does make it to the beaches, you have to make it such an absolute bloodbath that the CCP can't even push people at gunpoint into the next wave of landing craft. Seeing how artillery is still queen of the battlefield, Taiwan's best bet is to make sure they have enough tubes and MLRS to turn whatever touches their soil into a fine red paste. Their defensive missiles will never be able to outlast the mainland's offensive ones, so making the beaches impossible to exist on is their best bet. What we've seen in Ukraine is that the best way to make an area uninhabitable is to sprinkle it liberally with mines and have tube and rocket artillery able to plaster it.

So if you want to have your beaches exploding enough to keep CCP tourists off them, your artillery is going to need to be either very hardened, or very mobile. Ukraine has demonstrated that highly-mobile artillery can be very survivable, assuming you keep it moving. One thing that helped was the Russian delay in return fire via missiles, something that would be replicated given the distances involved in a Taiwan invasion.

Unfortunately, every lesson that Taiwan learns from Ukraine (what to do) will probably be matched by a lesson China learns from Russia (what not to do).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Alright I'll start saving bottlecaps to pay the debt. :sigh:

i say this as earnestly and non-condescendingly as i can, but... how do you think that "deficit spending" works in a fiat economy?

when Congress allots for the defense budget every year, what do you think their law actually says to do, mechanically?

what they do is instruct the federal reserve to update a bunch of accounts for the various alphabet organizations to simply have more money than they did yesterday. DoD subsection A had $40MM, now today they have $440MM. or whatever. that's it. it's done. nothing more needs to be said, no taxes need to be raised, nothing else has to happen. the Treasury MAY eventually sell government securities, but they do so at a price they dictate. the only say-so the "market" has in the matter is to refuse to buy those securities at the given price, in the hopes of pushing bond prices (and inflation) higher. taxes DO play a serious and required part by removing money from the larger economic pool, but that has to do with valuation of the total economy, not the federal government's need to use those dollars. they literally control the printing presses. they're not like a household, or even your state level government. they all have to spend what they earn, and that's that.

but that's it. even then, note the printing of treasury bonds (debts) is a "may". there's nothing requiring them to. the only thing that matters in terms of a country's overall spending power is that inflation number. as long as that doesn't go up, you're fine and can continue spending.

the world didn't react poorly to a literal decade of unprecedented money-printing to stave off the Great Recession from becoming a new Depression. that's what quantitative easing was all about. the federal reserve simply updated a shitload of bank accounts every month to say "okay, various banks and industries, you now just have More Money. please enjoy it. :) "

using this same principle it would neither be hard, nor unprecedented, for Congress to simply pass a law tomorrow to say "okay, Fed, please print enough money that literally all foreign held debits are satisfied in full." "the debt" could be extinguished with a stroke of a pen, and it would be genuinely less overall money to do so than QE was.

this is the heart and soul of modern monetary theory. this idea that we all have a "share" of the debt that we are responsible for is gold-standard thinking. we haven't been in a gold standard world for coming up on 100 years.

something like zimbabwe or venezuela happens when monetary policy is massively abused as a point of national policy, usually for spite purposes. as long as the amount of money in an economy doesn't massively overrepresent the goods and services to be measured in the economy, inflation won't get out of control and everything will generally continue as normal. this is ultimately why countries went to fiat currencies. money is actually measuring goods, services, ingenuity, innovation, etc - and a complex monetary policy captured that better than some arbitrary amount of gold, loosely and poorly integrated into a global currency scheme.

if you think i'm a psycho on all this, i recommend you pick up The Deficit Myth, by Stephanie Kelton.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those are a lot of words to respond to a fallout joke

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

your last few posts didn't make me likely to read stuff as a joke. sorry if that wasn't as serious as i read it but you were pretty in there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I appreciated it

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

God, I so wish we were living in the End of History and the current issue was talking about if Russia was ready to join the EU or not and how exciting China's liberal political reforms of the last 10 years have been. Where's my rules based international order I was promised? Where's the unstoppable march of democracy and human rights fueled by the expansion of open markets we were told was inevitable?

It died during the W Bush administration. The GWOT, the Iraq War, and contempt for diplomacy really did a number on the premise that we can all get along if we all follow the rules.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

It died during the W Bush administration. The GWOT, the Iraq War, and contempt for diplomacy really did a number on the premise that we can all get along if we all follow the rules.

it died on september 11 2001 9:03:02 am, the rest of the bush admin was just the rolling around and death rattles

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The exact date and time it was revealed that middle class white people had not actually succeeded in making themselves invulnerable to the rest of the world.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Iraq II is what I think killed it off. Afghanistan, while probably ill-conceived, was within the "rule-based" framework and had wide support including for example from russia and Iran.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/45242315

Which you'll note are the biggest pain in the rear end right now. W had a chance to normalize relations with this momentum and instead antagonized everyone

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

RandomPauI posted:

Russia moving tens of thousands of tanks and other equipment to Siberia to keep them out of the scope of the Conventional Forces Europe treaty in 1990, equipment they are currently pulling from to keep up with their insane losses in Ukraine, should have been a hint the Russians had long term plans to use that stuff.
European NATO countries had no choice but to scrap or sell everything over the limit. And in the years since they got rid of most of what they had within the limit as well.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://kyivindependent.com/slovak-pm-promised-to-block-nato-entry-for-ukraine-said-it-must-cede-territory/

quote:

Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico came out with another anti-Ukrainian public statement on Jan. 20, telling Slovak radio that he would block Ukraine's accession to NATO.

Fico is scheduled to meet with Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal on Jan. 24.

The Slovak premier, who consistently joins Hungarian leader Viktor Orban in repeating Russian talking points about Ukraine, then claimed that Kyiv is dominated by Washington.

He said Ukraine will have to give a piece of its territory to Russia, which he called a "compromise."

"What do they expect, that the Russians will leave Crimea, Donbas and Luhansk? That's unrealistic," he said.

Fico has recently called for the stabilization of relations between the EU and Russia and added that Moscow "also needs its security guarantees."
No. gently caress off.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CeeJee posted:

Russia moving tens of thousands of tanks and other equipment to Siberia to keep them out of the scope of the Conventional Forces Europe treaty in 1990, equipment they are currently pulling from to keep up with their insane losses in Ukraine, should have been a hint the Russians had long term plans to use that stuff.
European NATO countries had no choice but to scrap or sell everything over the limit. And in the years since they got rid of most of what they had within the limit as well.

Why would they need tanks? America will always come to the rescue.

At least Europe kept the bones of a domestic aero industry around. Look at what Canada and Britain are reduced to.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slovakia looked at Russia, Belarus and Hungary in 2023 and decided "yes, what we need is a strongman leader with connections to organized crime and who simps for Putin".

Hopefully you enjoy being blacklisted in EU with your pal Hungary.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Weird that every time confiscating Russian funds comes up it's the same dipshits that suddenly start announcing they won't support any action again. Probably nothing.

Be nice if some of them remembered that it isn't the dark ages anymore.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sedgr posted:

Weird that every time confiscating Russian funds comes up it's the same dipshits that suddenly start announcing they won't support any action again. Probably nothing.

Be nice if some of them remembered that it isn't the dark ages anymore.

I have a morbid curiosity to see what Trump would do if he was given a free hand. I'd put the odds at 50:50 he'd do something incredibly selfish (pocket it) or incredibly blatant (give it back to Putin).

The ever more morbid curiosity is how his base would spin either option.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Blistex posted:

I have a morbid curiosity to see what Trump would do if he was given a free hand. I'd put the odds at 50:50 he'd do something incredibly selfish (pocket it) or incredibly blatant (give it back to Putin).

Trump would offer a "compromise" which is saying Russia gets what it wants or the US stops all aid. 5 years later, Russia will attack again.

Sedgr posted:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Well guess I ain't taking a trip to my ancestral homeland while this dipshit is in power.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Blistex posted:

His base would just do the usual talking points of "why are we spending SO MUCH MONEY and OTHERS especially NAZIS when we can try to spend some stuff on OURSELVES(as long as its not education or healthcare) because those PANSIES have been leeching off our TAXES long enough!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well guess I ain't taking a trip to my ancestral homeland while this dipshit is in power.

Come to Bohemia where we have this absolute chad

:byetankie:

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah a new Russian video game

Press F to be Hitler

F

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Come to Bohemia where we have this absolute chad

:byetankie:

Yeah, so har the Czech Republic supported Ukraine by performative actions such as making things hell for Belarusian students including already enrolled. Visa ban. Congrats, thats the easiest thing to do while having zero impact on actual war. I saw no effort on CZ or for that matter other EU countries to sanction or grassroot boycotte Raiffeisen Bank or Auchan, the bank is barely pulling out asmost 3 years since the war started. But harsh stance on students and refugees will surely help

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I agree we should be instead bombing Belarus and Russia right now but at least the Czechs aren't blocking EU funding for Ukraine

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Sekenr posted:

Yeah, so har the Czech Republic supported Ukraine by performative actions such as making things hell for Belarusian students including already enrolled. Visa ban. Congrats, thats the easiest thing to do while having zero impact on actual war. I saw no effort on CZ or for that matter other EU countries to sanction or grassroot boycotte Raiffeisen Bank or Auchan, the bank is barely pulling out asmost 3 years since the war started. But harsh stance on students and refugees will surely help

The Czechs donated guns, small arms ammo, artillery shells, and cash afaik

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1748684707825328448
Sounds like a job for our old friend the cardboard drone :getin:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

your last few posts didn't make me likely to read stuff as a joke. sorry if that wasn't as serious as i read it but you were pretty in there.

thanks for the summary anyway, it's not the sort of thing people tend to think about

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I hope Denys beats the poo poo out of him and gives him a swirly for good measure.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
WHAT THE gently caress IS UP DENYS

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1748786947936432282

quote:

Russian city of Saratov. Reportedly, this is a line to buy eggs.

By the way, one more news about Saratov today:

About 120 buildings in Saratov are without heating due to leaks in the heating system.

And yet, they continue to line up for a chance to buy eggs.

quote:

In Saratov, Russia, people are standing in large queues for eggs and making large stockpiles of them.

There are queues in the city to buy eggs for ₽78 (~$0,86) per dozen, local channels say. People are even fighting over eggs sometimes.

Over the past week, eggs have been breaking the record for inflation. The region has also started selling them by the piece.

Are the "food wars" in Russian grocery stores returning?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Russia is doing fine, everyone. Everything is just fine. The perfidious NATO and western imperialist sanctions have had little to no effect!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well Pootin did want to bring back USSR...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
0.86 USD per dozen is record-breakingly inflated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

0.86 USD per dozen is record-breakingly inflated?

The Russian economy can't handle .86 eggs lol