Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you can know for sure those AoA3 nerds will show up at exactly minute 100 it is indeed too gamey. Sometimes there’s delays or people stepping on the gas too hard.

Still not at all convinced that if they do have to show up there they should head north rather than west.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:02 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

If you can know for sure those AoA3 nerds will show up at exactly minute 100 it is indeed too gamey. Sometimes there’s delays or people stepping on the gas too hard.

Still not at all convinced that if they do have to show up there they should head north rather than west.

My understanding is that the arrow just shows they're coming from south, and in my plan would be diverting west as soon as possible. I'll draw something after I digest FF's awesome advice.

And yeah you're right, it probably won't be minute 100. But it's pretty likely it won't be, like, minute 70.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's my family's Slava, and I'm watching over my nephews and niece. My younger nephew was having fun playing an RTS very badly, and I had to (gently) physically restrain my older nephew as he was shouting "NOOO HE'S PLAYING IT WRONG NOOOO LET ME DO IT INSTEAD NOOOOO"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

My understanding is that the arrow just shows they're coming from south, and in my plan would be diverting west as soon as possible. I'll draw something after I digest FF's awesome advice.

And yeah you're right, it probably won't be minute 100. But it's pretty likely it won't be, like, minute 70.

Think about timing as part of your overall mission. Yes, that includes avoiding a traffic jam, particularly as the east-west corridor is limited, but it also involves mutual support. Is there any reason why AoA3 couldn't arrive first, pin the enemy on the southern terrain feature, AoA2 begins moving down B505 and clears the northern terrain feature 30 minutes later, and AoA1 drives home down B22 70 minutes in?

If the time units arrive and where is set, that's fine, there are still ways to plan around that, but you want there to be one plan each unit contributes to, rather than 3 separate regimental battles that overstretch your division fires and can't support each other in place and time.

We can start talking about phasing and fire plans (because you'll want preplanned fires to support this manoeuvre scheme) when you have determined your initial disposition and timings, as well as overall intent. This is just an example.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Jan 20, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my dad posted:

It's my family's Slava, and I'm watching over my nephews and niece. My younger nephew was having fun playing an RTS very badly, and I had to (gently) physically restrain my older nephew as he was shouting "NOOO HE'S PLAYING IT WRONG NOOOO LET ME DO IT INSTEAD NOOOOO"

Returning to AoE2 as an adult was a lot harder when you don't just cheat for all your resources

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

my dad posted:

FF is just in his happy space if he can do artillery staff work for a competent (read: non-Western) artillery force.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

FF is just in his happy space if he can do artillery staff work for a competent (read: non-Western) artillery force.

:(

There's a great 40 minute podcast episode on the counter battery fires at El Alamein that's worth a listen, one of their series of episodes on the fire plan.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I gotta say, imagine having been born in East Germany or Poland or something in say, the early 1960s, and realizing that actually things are going pretty well and these countrymen of yours with their lust for bananas and jeans are about to utterly wreck themselves but being unable to convince anyone of this and then having to live through another 50-60 years of the fallout. I don't know how you wouldn't end up on a street corner just screaming "I loving told you so" at people.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

Think about timing as part of your overall mission. Yes, that includes avoiding a traffic jam, particularly as the east-west corridor is limited, but it also involves mutual support. Is there any reason why AoA3 couldn't arrive first, pin the enemy on the southern terrain feature, AoA2 begins moving down B505 and clears the northern terrain feature 30 minutes later, and AoA1 drives home down B22 70 minutes in?

If the time units arrive and where is set, that's fine, there are still ways to plan around that, but you want there to be one plan each unit contributes to, rather than 3 separate regimental battles that overstretch your division fires and can't support each other in place and time.

We can start talking about phasing and fire plans (because you'll want preplanned fires to support this manoeuvre scheme) when you have determined your initial disposition and timings, as well as overall intent. This is just an example.

CASE ONE

I'll explain my initial thoughts. I'm not attached to the plan, but I feel like if I explain where I am coming from, then have it critiqued, it will be a better learning experience for me.

The numerical superiority intel reports indicates that NATO cannot defend everywhere equally. The two highways are the obvious main route of attack, so we can reasonably expect them to have the strongest defence. Physical space limitations mean that it's impossible to get everyone into combat at once, and even if the main advance can achieve a breakthrough, it will likely be at least somewhat slowed. I was thinking of turning that slowing into an advantage: giving time for other elements to either bypass the enemy, or flank Western defences. Schesslitz seems to be a critical juncture, and it is surrounded by forested hills pretty much on all sides.

Yellow element arrives so late that any strong NATO presence in the south may be diverted to stop the main advance. This would allow Yellow to either bypass the main enemy defences, or flank them to support the main assault if necessary.

Another reason for spreading out is that I assume a large number of Abrams will be a mobile flanking force. If the main attack drives past them without us knowing, it could be hit with a strong counter-attack. However, if a regiment finds them and fixes them, they won't be able to maneuver.

CASE TWO

If case one is too spread out, these are my initial thoughts on a more concentrated attack. I didn't put in as many notes on the map yet.

AoA 1 and 2 each end up with two regiments. AoA 3 is disregarded. If they're to join the same main road as AoA 1, then I don't see much point in not just using AoA 1.

Rather than one regiment fully arriving after the other, begin with recon elements of all regiments at the front, then the rest of one regiment, then the other. Recon elements disperse to find and fix defenses. One regiment, entering from either AoA1 or 2 hangs out at the starting point at first, deploying to defend HQ, AA and artillery batteries. They will act as a reserve, committed by the divisional commander as appropriate, leaving behind a modest security element for HQs and artillery.

ARTILLERY - on or off map

I have confirmed that artillery batteries may be on or off the map. Due to engine limitations, off-map artillery cannot enter the map later. It's one or the other. The area of operations roughly 35 km east-to-west, and my Akatsyas have a range of 18km. Grads have a range of 37km, so those can definitely stay off-map.

So, I either
-have all of my Akatsyas on the map - which will have to be protected, and probably arrive at some point in the marching order rather than immediately, thus preventing divisional fires for the first few turns. Regiments have their own Gvozdikas and mortars.
or
-keep one section (3 batteries) of Akatsyas off-map to screen initial deployments, and try to fire off all the rounds before the action moves out of range.

SPOTTERS
I also have two spotter elements and one recon element. My initial thoughts were that they should accompany the main advance, relatively near the front, but not at the head of the column so they don't get blown up immediately.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Jan 20, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

I gotta say, imagine having been born in East Germany or Poland or something in say, the early 1960s, and realizing that actually things are going pretty well and these countrymen of yours with their lust for bananas and jeans are about to utterly wreck themselves but being unable to convince anyone of this and then having to live through another 50-60 years of the fallout. I don't know how you wouldn't end up on a street corner just screaming "I loving told you so" at people.

To quote Napoleon, "What madness! ... Why do they not sweep away four or five hundred of them with the cannon? The rest would take themselves off very quickly."

e: Zepplin, seen. I'm going to take a look at it, and go back to your first post to put together The Estimate, but it may be useful to you, just for organizing your notes, to use something like the OPP. I'm not dictating that or anything! Games are games and all, but it's handy to assembly information in one place.

iirc Flashpoint campaigns already encourages this and scenario documentation, at least in the Canadian campaign, conforms to it.

ANNEX B - FORMAT FOR AN ESTIMATE (This is a guide not a rigid format) posted:

Issuing HQ

ESTIMATE FOR (TITLE) References:

A. Appropriate maps, charts and reports
B. Supporting estimates
C. Directives and commander's planning guidance

1. Situation. A short summary of the situation

2. Mission. State the mission that was determined in the orientation step 2. It may be necessary to include a subparagraph to detail any limitations to the mission. Include centres of gravity if known or determined.

3. Assumptions. Include only those assumptions required to complete the estimate. Assumptions
made by the commander are to be considered as facts for planning purposes.

4. Factors Affecting the Achievement of the Mission:

a. Describe the factors, which affect the mission. This can be in either narrative or tabular form. After each factor, list the deductions drawn from the facts. Conclusions should be concise and relevant; ideally, they should be expressed as a building block of information, for example:

(1) Offensive air operations cannot commence before day 12; and

(2) The maximum size force which can be sustained for the period is one mechanized division or one reinforced air mobile division; and

b. Group the deductions by function to assist the development of COAs. It may be necessary to revise deductions, as later aspects of the estimate affect earlier conclusions.

5. COAs:

a. Describe the COAs open to the opposing force. Ideally, this should be a series of feasible options of varying potential impact on our capacity within the theatre. It is always prudent to identify that COA which has the most serious impact on our capacity, regardless of the likelihood of it occurring. This provides an objective starting point for the array of COAs taken by the opposing force; and

b. Describe the COAs, which our forces have the operational and logistic capacity to execute. These COAs should only be limited by the guidance provided in the initiating directive/Wng O. The description should include:

(1) CONOPS;
(2) Probable Tasks / Missions;
(3) Task Organization;
(4) Critical Support Requirements (Engineering, Movement, Logistics, Sustainment, Financial); and
(5) Impact of this COA on other CF Ops, Training, procurement, or OGDs.

6. Comparison and analysis of COAs. Compare each of our own COAs against the opposing force's potential. This comparison should be as objective as possible using the deductions derived previously from the estimate. It is appropriate to set this comparison out in tabular form to focus on specific elements, particularly the comparison of time, space and mass. For example:

COA 1 - An amphibious assault preceded by naval and air bombardment. (More text as required.)

7. Summary of our COAs.

a. COA X. In separate paragraphs, describe the strengths and weakness of each COA;

b. Identify which opposing force COA is believed to be the most likely with respect to their capabilities and suspected intentions; and

c. Identify the criteria chosen for establishing the relative ranking of the COAs with respect to the most likely opposing COA. (for example, relative combat power, Force protection, ease of execution, sustainment, cost, political acceptability, impact on other commitments, etc). Conclude by identifying the COA, which best meets the mission and caters for the opposing force's capability. This may be done in tabular format and may require the staff to weight the criteria to establish a clear ranking.

8. Selecting Preferred COA. A statement of the preferred COA resulting from the above
assessment.

9. Outline Plan. An outline plan based on the preferred COA(s) is prepared, but only in sufficient detail to enable the staff to undertake the development of the decision brief and CONOPS.

e: Post WIP

Div Arty Estimate (example) posted:

Issuing HQ: [Name of Your HQ]
Date and Time of Issue: [Date and Time]

ESTIMATE FOR DIVISIONAL ARTILLERY

References:
A. Appropriate maps, charts, and reports
B. Supporting estimates
C. Directives and commander's planning guidance

1. Situation:
The operation involves securing and holding river crossings against a formidable NATO defense. We have numerical superiority and better equipment, but we must consider the possibility of a strong enemy counterattack, especially from U.S. Abrams tanks.

2. Mission:
As the Divisional Artillery Commander, our mission is to provide effective artillery support to the division's efforts in securing and holding river crossings. This support includes suppression of enemy artillery, countering enemy armor threats, and enabling the division's advance.

3. Assumptions:
- We assume mild air superiority and that the enemy will deploy M113s rather than Bradleys.
- We have limited intel, and the enemy may employ unexpected tactics or surprises.
- The terrain poses challenges, especially along B22 and B505 roads.

4. Factors Affecting the Achievement of the Mission:
a. Terrain and enemy positions along B22 and B505 roads present challenges.
b. The possibility of enemy Abrams tanks requires a plan for countering armored threats.
c. Traffic management and unit timing are critical due to variable turn lengths.

5. COAs for Divisional Artillery:
- COA 1: Deploy all Akatsya batteries on the map initially, providing immediate fire support. Grads remain off-map.
- COA 2: Keep one section (3 batteries) of Akatsyas off-map to screen initial deployments. Grads remain off-map for concentrated firepower later.

6. Comparison and Analysis of COAs:
- COA 1 provides immediate artillery support but risks exposure.
- COA 2 offers a screening element but delays the full firepower of the Akatsyas.

7. Summary of Divisional Artillery COAs:
a. COA 1: Provides rapid artillery support but risks early exposure.
b. COA 2: Offers screening and delayed firepower, reducing initial risk.

8. Selecting Preferred Divisional Artillery COA:
- The preferred COA is COA 2, as it balances initial security with the ability to deliver sustained firepower.

9. Outline Plan for Divisional Artillery:
- Deploy one section of Akatsyas off-map initially.
- Grads remain off-map for concentrated later barrages.
- Coordinate with artillery observers and reconnaissance units for target acquisition.
- Prioritize counter-battery fire against enemy artillery threats.

10. Staff Recommendations:
- Maintain flexibility and adapt to changing conditions.
- Coordinate closely with reconnaissance and observation units.
- Maintain effective communication with divisional command.
- Be prepared for rapid deployment of Grads when the critical moment arises.

Which is very rough, 8,9,10 would be much longer IRL.

Commentary posted:

In accordance with Soviet attack doctrine, DHQ should consider the following principles:

- Conduct aggressive reconnaissance.
- Breach enemy defense at weak points or gaps.
- Maneuver against enemy flanks and rear.
- Bypass strongpoints when possible.
- Rapidly maneuver forces and fires in the decisive direction.
- Mass fires for maximum impact.
- Strike rapidly and deeply into the enemy's rear.
- Maintain momentum under all conditions.
- Employ EW to disrupt enemy communications.

ee: Without going over them in detail while I run errands, your first plan, CASE ONE, is not mutually supporting. Therefore, "the numerical superiority intel reports indicates that NATO cannot defend everywhere equally" is irrelevant, because you are attacking with 1/3 of your strength. Assuming Corps HQ has allocated forces for this mission with the standard 3:1 superiority, by dividing your forces, you are creating a situation where locally NATO forces are defending in favourable terrain very close to 1:1 against each of your regiments piecemeal.

Unsynchronized attacks by elements that can not support each other, mean that NATO does not have to defend everywhere in strength. Well-placed companies can hold up each of those advances individually, and then the entire divisional attack fails. Additionally, no one of those regimental attacks seems very likely to bring success (on their own) because they are going into closed, unobserved terrain that is either elevated or behind multiple water obstacles, or down B505/B22 which as you say, is most likely where NATO defences are concentrated.

Finally, even individual success by one of these attacks is compromised by failure of the other two, as NATO weapons located on the terrain the other regiments failed to clear will prevent exploitation. You couldn't easily shift from one of the stalled out attacks to move through the gap because you'd be doing it in full view of the enemy.

I understand your intentions here, and probing like this could limit your risks, but you have been assigned a mission to break through, which means you must concentrate, and must accept that casualties will occur. Dispersing your effort to limit losses endangers the whole mission, because no one of those dispersed regimental attacks can expect to fight through to the entire depth of the enemy.

I would therefore start with CASE TWO as your preferable COA in terms of time, space, and mass.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Jan 20, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Thank you.

I absolutely take on board your local parity point, though I'm confused about why you consider these attacks not mutually supporting in case one. The goal of the northern element is to flank defensive positions that would face the main advance - as well as possibly encounter an Abrams reserve.

The goal of the southern attack is to either go past all the enemy defenses and hit them in the rear, or if necessary, divert and encircle the defensive elements giving the main attack trouble.

The north-south axis is only 20km, so the northern element should usually be able to divert towards the main roads within 1 turn. Same with the southern element diverting north. Unless they're engaged by such significant enemy forces that they're helping by making those forces not fire on the main advance.

Is this not supporting? I think I am misunderstanding the paradigm behind the terminology. How would you define a supporting attack?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

my dad posted:

aww, thats so sweet

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Going to quote a couple things you said and then the conclusion they ought to, imo, lead to.

CASE ONE
The numerical superiority intel reports indicates that NATO cannot defend everywhere equally.
The two highways are the obvious main route of attack, so we can reasonably expect them to have the strongest defence.
other elements to either bypass the enemy

ARTILLERY - on or off map
So, I either
-have all of my Akatsyas on the map - which will have to be protected, and probably arrive at some point in the marching order rather than immediately, thus preventing divisional fires for the first few turns. Regiments have their own Gvozdikas and mortars.

SPOTTERS
I also have two spotter elements and one recon element. My initial thoughts were that they should accompany the main advance, relatively near the front, but not at the head of the column so they don't get blown up immediately.

So my understanding of Soviet doctrine, aka succesful doctrine, is to find the enemies weakest point by probing in force everywhere, and then wherever you encounter success is where you pile on. So on your map for Case One, which reads like the best case to me because you are probing the largest quantity of roads heading west, you write "MAIN attack by two regiments". This imo is an error in thinking. You shouldn't decide in advance what your main effort is going to be. You are assuming NATO is going to prioritize defending the highways. Sure, that makes a lot of sense, but until your guys get there and figure out what's actually going on, you won't know for certain. They might misread the situation based on their own poor quality intel. The might misdeploy or misjudge how fast you can get there in force. They might just flat out make a bad command mistake. They might also defend the highway properly and turn it into a kill zone that you want nothing at all to do with.

My point is, you don't know what the main effort is going to be, so get out of that mindset right now, as your job as divisional artillery is to support the main effort once they demonstrably achieve some first succes. On their own, using their own Gvozdikas and mortars. This might be those green lines just meeting nearly no resistance and able to drive fast and deep. It might be those yellow lines coming up in the rear of an enemy which has already turned to hit the highway and is now getting its flank rolled up. Or it might even be any of those regiments finding an undefended sector and driving hard into the enemy rear area to achieve operational objectives. Whoever manages this, these are the dudes who really need and deserve your support. Not some shmucks getting bogged down fighting a wooded treeline on a hill from a highway or whatever poo poo is inevitably also going to happen. They can figure out how to extricate themselves while you figure out how to win together with the regiment(s) that didn't run directly into the enemy's main defensive effort.

This also means you have time those first few turns to properly site and set up your artillery on map, so do that. It also means you absolutely want your spotters in the mix at the crucial part of the fight. But you don't know yet where that will be, so spread them out also imo. Don't blindly commit them into what is likely going to be the enemy's main defensive effort and what might turn into your anvil. They need to be part of the hammer.

It also means in Case 1 you might want to divert that southern red line to go into Königsfeld and then drive west from there, rather than meeting up at Burgell(obscured) with the other red line. If you're expecting that your enemy can't defend everywhere, you should focus on figuring out where they aren't defending (effectively) rather than fighting them where they are.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jan 20, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I can give your plan another read, but broadly I mean concentrating and coordinating forces so that their mass and fires facilitate/support each other's manoeuvres. So, specifically, in CASE ONE, the regiment whose movement is marked in yellow has to cross obstacles and enter difficult, closed, terrain, without benefitting from the fighting going on elsewhere.

The plan is only viable to the point the regiment can reach with its own organic fire support. That's the standard for good planning as we discussed earlier, so it technically shouldn't matter. However, I think you are expecting them to move too far, through unknown resistance, beyond their means to achieve their mission. I would have to check the enemy strength estimate and scale of the map again, my concern is that after Tiefenellern you have another complex manoeuvre planned.

This is a difficult evolution because you had previously split the regiment to screen the terrain at Hohenhäusling-Königsfeld-Drosendorf an der Aufseß at Drosendorf an der Aufseß, before manoeuvring back (?) to rejoin the regiment at Tiefenellern.

What is the mission here? Is that unit screening? Rear security? They are separated from the rest of the regiment by terrain after their northbound turn at Aufseß, so can't be supported in this task by fire support from the other battalions/detachments. Depending on the size of the task, that's not unreasonable, for example if they were a screen.

However, while still separated from friendly forces, they are exposed to fire from any enemies in the terrain feature while proceeding down the road from Drosendorf an der Aufseß to Tiefenellern. This is an unreasonably risky move because their entire movement past Poxdorf and Huppendorf is exposed to the enemy but obscured to friendlies. What happens if the enemy is present in the vicinity?

This ties into the larger problem. Assuming the regiment is able to regroup at Tiefenellern, they then have larger bounds through open terrain, surrounded by forested elevation, and overlooked by the large urban area. This is after whatever fighting it took to get them to Tiefenellern, with the casualties and ammunition expenditure that entailed. This is almost certainly too much for a regiment to accomplish, it's to the depth of the scenario's objectives for an entire division.

I understand your intention here was that this regiment would hopefully bypass the enemy. The problem is that you don't know where the enemy is, only where they might be (is there an intelligence gathering phase prior to scenario start?). If the enemy is there, your plan calls for it to make multiple exposed moves, spit into elements that can't cover each other, and is well separated from the main effort (and as we discussed when introducing Soviet Fire Support, fires will be concentrated there). If the enemy isn't present, I suppose it could work (though I would ask to what effect overall?) but if they are, I think there are too many problems with what you're asking to be done here.

So returning to when I said it might be reasonable to expect the regiment to reach Tiefenellern (if you don't compromise this by dividing it for the above reasons), I see many problems with expecting it to move forward again. If their goal was to clear terrain overlooking the main advance, that's fine, mission accomplished. My concern is, supposing they do get stuck halfway, I would guess at or around Tiefenellern, what do they accomplish by being stuck there? They can't observe or shoot anywhere the rest of the division has to go, they're not screening the rest of the division or guarding a flank, for the above reason, they're just stuck in the woods.

I'm not saying the enemy will be there, but there are many points of failure here. They can't turn around and rejoin the division, because the terrain features between them and the division have not been cleared. Withdrawing to the northbound route discussed earlier would require them to cross two streams and then make the move exposed to enemy fire that came up previously. Their ability to do this after being so heavily engaged their primary mission failed is a big ask. At this point, since they are the last arriving formation, what benefit is there to the battered remnants of a regiment trickling into the main effort?

That means that even the contingency, (never reinforce failure, pile on success) isn't really viable.

I could organize this a bit better but my main questions here are: What do you expect this regiment to do? Why do you think they can accomplish it? How can they accomplish it? What happens if they cannot accomplish it? How do they impact the overall plan through success, partial success or failure?

Just my $0.02

ee: The same problems exist for the regiment marked in green, but I haven't looked over that area as closely yet.

eee: Orange Devil's points are also valid, I didn't see them coming in where I wrote this. I think the difference between the two approaches is if there is pre-battle recce or not.

If there is, I disagree and believe you should commit to one main effort, supported with a detailed plan. With sufficient resources and planning, it doesn't matter what enemy forces are present because you have allocated resources and synchronized timing such that even the worst case scenario can be overcome.

If there is not, and you can only work from a totally unknown map as we have ITT, (and without an enemy strength estimate?) probing for east-west routes allows you to decide where the main effort, and possibly a supporting effort, will be. Much of that planning should still be done in advance though, with contingencies for each of the possible routes. You would go through your binder, find the one that corresponded to that route, and then rapidly initiate the plan. You cannot sit on your hands under fire.

This is a tricky problem, but the mission assigned to your division, as I understand it, is not to probe defences around BAMBERG, but rather to get there and secure the river crossings. It would be preferable if recce was done in advance, but if not, you should have a plan that gets you to BAMBERG however the enemy is arranged in your way. Spreading out and hoping they left a door open places the success or failure of the plan on how competent your enemy is.

e4:

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Jan 20, 2024

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
was johnny depp even notable in 1989

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Both you guys are super helpful!

To clarify, the split lines were meant as possible courses of action, not splits of the regiment. They would take one of the routes according to the situation.

Also as far the plan goes, once again to clarify, I am technically just the artillery. I just seem to be the most active player (though it's still early days) and I felt inspired so I started planning the whole operation. But I figure the better the initial plan, the better other players can contribute.

Another point is that in the scenario there are supposed to be 3 stages of planning, with additional intel later. So right now all we know is what I put down in the force estimates.

I can share the force estimate.

Friendly Force Estimates posted:

Friendly forces: 79th Guards Tank Division composed of 3 Guards Tank Regiments and 1 Motor Rifle Regiment
Supported by
Division Mi-24s (9) and Mi-2s (8)
Army EW - Medium EW throughout whole operation, with a 3x 1 hour-long high level windows available.
Army ELINT during a 1:20 window, allowing 3 targets for intel collection
3 Flights of 2 Su-17 CAS
2 Flights of 2 Su-25 CAS
Fighters guarantee slight air superiority throughout whole operation, and can conduct 2x 1-hour long surges of higher air superiority.

Total vehicles:
T-80 BV - 167
T-80 B1 - 74
BMP-1P - 144
BMP-2 - 128
2S1 Gvozdika - 72 (those would be regimental, so not mine)
2S12 Sani 120mm Mortar - 36 (regimental, not minie)
2S3M Akatsiya - 54 (these are mine)
BM-21 Grad - 18 (these are mine)
BM-27 Uragan - 12 (Army, so must be requested)
BRDM-2 Konkurs/AT-5 Spandrel - 9
Strela 10M/SA-13 Gopher - 12
Strela 1M/SA-9 Gaskin - 4
Osa-AK/SA-8 Gecko - 12
Mechanized Infantry (ingame unit, I assume platoons?) - 54
Fagot \ AT-4 Spigot (as in infantry, not vehicle mounted) - 3
Igla \ SA-18 Grouse (MANPADS) - 51

That's from the overview. For some reason it doesn't seem to include everything, since there's also 3 PDFs with different information. I used the overview because I don't know if anyone feels like going through so many pages.
Full Roster
Fire Support (overlaps with other 2 PDFs)
Air (overlaps with other 2 PDFs)

Enemy Force Estimates posted:

3rd Brigade of US 1st Armored Division, composed of 2 Infantry Battalions and 1 Tank Battalion, likely supported by a recent transfer of another Tank Battalion and Self-propelled Howitzer battery.
"NATO is likely to divert multiple fires and assets"

Current force estimate:
M1 IP Abrams - 58
M1A1 Abrams - 58
M901 - 12
Mechanized Rifle Infantry - 72 (armed with Dragons, max range 1000m)
M106A1 Mortars - 24
OH-58C Kiowa - 8
AH-1F Cobra (with TOW-2s) - 9
M48A1 Chaparral - 4
M109A2 - 24

I am assuming this is an undercount.

Based on FF's feedback, I wrote up a new plan. I didn't draw any new arrows on the map yet, just using the last map with FF's blue areas and red lines. Main change is that all the regiments are closer together, and I think work better as supporting each other.

The New Plan posted:

COLOURS
RED arrows represents main effort.
DARK BLUE areas represent critical areas threatening main effort.
LIGHT BLUE represents problematic potential ambush or overwatch positions.
PURPLE represents potential enemy positions that would be problematic, but are less likely due to their extreme east position.
Within the following plans, regiments have been given colours: GREEN, YELLOW, ORANGE, PINK. Exact assignments to be decided by CIC. Recommend YELLOW be Motor Rifle Regiment.

MARCHING ORDER

AoA 1 (CENTER):
1. YELLOW RECON and ORANGE RECON arriving first.
2. Rest of YELLOW regiment
3. Rest of ORANGE regiment.
4. DAG 1, DAG 2 and Div HQ (if on-map).

AoA 2 (NORTH):
1. GREEN RECON and PINK RECON arriving first.
2. Rest of GREEN regiment.
3. Rest of PINK regiment.

AoA 3 (SOUTH): UNUSED

REGIMENTAL ASSIGNMENTS

1. YELLOW Regiment
1.1. Send Combat Recon Patrol towards dark blue zone (Hohenhausling-Drusendorf an dem Aufsess).
1.2. Detach one infantry battalion to set up defensive positions around Hollfeld, protecting DAG and Div HQ. Ensure anti-air coverage over DAG and Div HQ. Leave DAG sufficient room to relocate to avoid counter-battery fire.
1.3. Rest of regiment is to proceed towards dark blue zone (Hohenhausling-Drusendorf an dem Aufsess) and prevent enemy from threatening Highway B22.
1.4. If no significant resistance is encountered, regiment (minus detached battalion) is to proceed to hills around Zeckendorf\Ludwag\Wurau, clear them and provide overwatch during assault over Schesslitz.
1.5. Once Schesslitz is taken, regiment is to wait for other forces to pass, and rejoin column as rear guard.
1.6. At all times regiment is to coordinate with ORANGE.
1.7. As the battle progresses, security detachment is to secure forward positions for DAG batteries to move up.

2. ORANGE regiment
2.1. Send Combat Recon Patrol north-west of Hollfeld, reconnoitring area between Highway B505 and B22, as well as hills by Wiesentfels. If no significant resistance is encountered, CRP is to rejoin Highway B22.
2.2. Main body of regiment is to proceed along Highway B22 towards Schesslitz. Once Schesslitz is taken, regiment is to proceed towards Bamberg.
2.3. At all times regiment is to coordinate with ORANGE and PINK.

3. GREEN regiment
3.1. Send Combat Recon Patrol north-west towards Fuselsdorf, then proceed towards Dark Blue Area Schweisdorf-Wattendorf.
3.2. Main body of regiment is to support PINK regiment’s advance along Highway B505. CIC to select between two courses of action.
3.2.1. COA 1: proceed along north road parallel to B505, then rejoin B505 at crossroads south-west of Grafenhausling and assault Schesslitz.
3.2.2. COA 2: proceed along northern route through Arnstein towards Dark Blue Area Schweidorf-Wattendorf. Root out enemy presence and gain control over defensive terrain overlooking Schesslitz.
3.3. CIC to select between courses of action.
3.3.1. COA1: Disperse and secure area around Schesslitz. Find and eliminate enemy spotters to ensure security of logistical route and protect advancing DAG. Once area is secure, reform and act as mobile reserve.
3.3.2. COA2: Rejoin road column along B22/B505.
3.3.3. COA 3: Proceed west, securing hills overlooking Gundelsheim\Weichendorf.
3.4. At all times coordinate with PINK regiment

4. PINK regiment
4.1. Send Combat Recon Patrol along B505 or parallel road north of B505.
4.2. Main body of regiment is to proceed along B505 towards Schesslitz.
4.3. Gain control over hills south-west of Burglesau in preparation for assault on Schesslitz.
4.4. Assault Schesslitz. Once taken, proceed towards BAMBERG.
4.5. At all times coordinate with GREEN and ORANGE.

DAG

3 SPA (Callsign VOLK) is to remain off-map and provide immediate fire support and masking to YELLOW and ORANGE. VOLK is expected to expend all ammunition before line of contact moves beyond range – roughly Grafhausling\Hohenhausling axis.

GRAD MLRLS (Callsign LOS) is to remain off-map and hold fire until a critical concentration of enemy forces is identified and fixed.

1 SPA and 2 SPA (Callsign RYS and MEDVED) are to deploy near Hollfeld and support division advance. Once line of contact moves forward, batteries are expected to advance along either B22 or B505 in coordination with security element and anti-air batteries. One redeployment is expected before assault on Schesslitz. Second redeployment is expected before assault on Bamberg. Batteries are expected to conduct minor redeployments frequently in order to avoid hostile counter-battery fire.

Fire priority is as follows:
1. Counter-battery fire
2. Facilitating movement along B22 and B505 though both masking and suppression fire missions
3. Enemy ammo dumps, HQs and anti-air batteries
4. Major enemy concentrations, particularly Abrams
5. Reinforcement of successful breakthroughs.

Regiments are expected to rely on their own fires. Divisional fires are expected to reinforce success, not mitigate failure.

AIR SUPPORT
To be filled in by CIC or Air Controller.

EW
To be filled in by CIC or controller.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jan 20, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I don't see a map.

But yeah in general, if the objective is to get into Bamberg and secure its bridges, not destroy the enemy on the road to Bamberg in detail and try to get into Bamberg, then *get in Bamberg*. Just make sure everyone on your side keeps that poo poo in mind. You don't need to destroy the enemy, unless they're directly between you and the objective (and even then all you need is to overrun their positions, if they run into some woods or behind a hill you don't need to pursue), you can just as well pin and bypass them and then they're going to be hosed either way.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jan 20, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't see a map either, but I agree that the plan looks better because it seems like it better manages risk.

To bring out this table again, you seem to have done a better job staying in that yellow-green zone where you can meet unexpected resistance without the wheels falling off.

I think the way you talk about risk in terms of critical, problematic, potential is much better too and shows you're putting theory into practice.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

From my own experiences in FCSS; I would second (third?) the suggestions for the forces to be able to mutually support instead of fighting 3 different battles due to terrain considerations. Personally, I try to echelon my forces in Warsaw Pact style and keep a battalion (or company if the scenario is smaller) ready in a location to "reinforce success".

I'll be interested to see how that game goes Zeppelin; I've been trying to play some PBEM games in FCSS with what time I have and it's totally different - more challenging but also more enjoyable.

I think you were the person who posted the IKS discord in this thread - I'd definitely be interested in trying out "multiplayer" FCSS if they run an event like this again.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

BadOptics posted:

From my own experiences in FCSS; I would second (third?) the suggestions for the forces to be able to mutually support instead of fighting 3 different battles due to terrain considerations. Personally, I try to echelon my forces in Warsaw Pact style and keep a battalion (or company if the scenario is smaller) ready in a location to "reinforce success".

I'll be interested to see how that game goes Zeppelin; I've been trying to play some PBEM games in FCSS with what time I have and it's totally different - more challenging but also more enjoyable.

I think you were the person who posted the IKS discord in this thread - I'd definitely be interested in trying out "multiplayer" FCSS if they run an event like this again.

Yep, this game is from IKS. It's a pretty big community, so there's constantly some kind of game starting. Several get posted every week. I'm really having a blast, so I recommend it.

Yeah, it was just text. Now that you guys liked the text more, I've plotted it on a map. I'm definitely feeling a lot better about this one.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It looks a lot better. Such a juicy road running from Königsfeld to Poxdorf though.

You're making me real invested in finding out how poo poo actually goes down. Please do share.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

It looks a lot better. Such a juicy road running from Königsfeld to Poxdorf though.

You're making me real invested in finding out how poo poo actually goes down. Please do share.

Will do! Note the game will probably last several months, since usually players have about 24 hours to submit orders, and umpires usually resolve a turn within 48 hours. So, when each turn represents 45-ish minutes in the scenario, that adds up quickly. Also I just realized the first turn starts on February 19th. I guess I got a bit too excited and carried away.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Jan 20, 2024

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

*Zepplein Insanity rips off mask, revealing Yevgeny Nikiforov*: "IT WAS ME, ALL ALONG"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Tankbuster posted:

given that the recent warscape 2 editor happened because CA helped the modders, I would say no they weren't afraid of modders eating their lunch. Its absolutely something people who don't make mods say. Loading in custom models was a slightly more difficult method that was also eventually solved by modders. Its just that the modders who made the GCCM campaign map addons are far less active during warhammer 3. At the same time, the pipeline for adding custom animations/actual new sounds/UI elements etc is far more refined so people like making their bleep bloop models and putting them into the game.

Warhammer 3 has a giant more classic warhammer fantasy map focused on the old world and it works great. You absolutely see the lack of polish and doodads because instead of a team of professionals making it, its mostly just one guy who also likes modding bethesda games.

afaik a lot of the decline in mod support in games has been mostly pushed from the corporate level because robust mod supply makes it harder to make artificial markets with horse armor kinda dlc
kind of a minor distinction but imo makes sense if you look at how with most titles that've slipped backwards it's more of an absence of support or planned flexibility than intentional lockout

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, it gives you time to start work on the artillery fire plan

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Zeppelin Insanity, all this planning is bullshit. Just charge forward with sufficient elan and everything will work itself out. If it doesn't work out, then obviously the enlisted lacked sufficient elan and you as an officer can't be held responsible for that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1stGear posted:

Zeppelin Insanity, all this planning is bullshit. Just charge forward with sufficient elan and everything will work itself out. If it doesn't work out, then obviously the enlisted lacked sufficient elan and you as an officer can't be held responsible for that.

We need to know the percentage of officers in 79th Guards Tank Division from the Ukrainian SSR.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FirstnameLastname posted:

afaik a lot of the decline in mod support in games has been mostly pushed from the corporate level because robust mod supply makes it harder to make artificial markets with horse armor kinda dlc
kind of a minor distinction but imo makes sense if you look at how with most titles that've slipped backwards it's more of an absence of support or planned flexibility than intentional lockout

The companies that promoted mods have kept promoting mods. Its a lot of commonsense knowledge that devs have come out and refuted later on. There's a lot of middleware necessary in making videogames now which has the effect of raising both the fidelity of the base game and requiring tools more advanced than blender/mspaint. It's a double whammy for modders because you now need to make stuff at higher levels of fidelity (requiring more of your limited time) and have the necessary middleware + assorted plugins to emulate the workflow of the devs.
Despite being much more mod friendly than older paradox games, the latest batch of Vicky/CK3 games have a lot more time and effort required to port in high quality modder made assets.

It took modders until warhammer total war 2 to rebuild the "import external models into the game" system by reverse engineering it. Bethesda by contrast just has you drag and drop the models files directly into the game's equivalent of the game toolset.

For a game like rimworld, which has the best of both worlds with a very stable way to add mods and generally lower fidelity assets, people love cranking out cool poo poo for their characters to wear and make - without even going into something like scripting.

FWIW, CA and Paradox love exposing more stuff to be directly tweakable by the modders, which is really good.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Will do! Note the game will probably last several months, since usually players have about 24 hours to submit orders, and umpires usually resolve a turn within 48 hours. So, when each turn represents 45-ish minutes in the scenario, that adds up quickly. Also I just realized the first turn starts on February 19th. I guess I got a bit too excited and carried away.

That should give you plenty of time to finish all your assigned background reading.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
lmao the guys who made Vietnam '68 and Afghanistan 2011 have released the third game in the series, and it's a loving South African Border War game in which you play the South African apartheid state attempting to put down the pro-independence movement in their colonial frontier

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

lmao the guys who made Vietnam '68 and Afghanistan 2011 have released the third game in the series, and it's a loving South African Border War game in which you play the South African apartheid state attempting to put down the pro-independence movement in their colonial frontier

That's certainly a way to remove all pretense about the mindset of your first two games, which otherwise had some plausible deniability

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Afghanistan 2011 was so incredibly tone-deaf that it was possible to mistake it for a deliberate anti-war statement, a dark satire in which you are forced to repeat all of the mistakes that led to the US losing the war in real life, doomed to fail because there is no option available to you but failure

but nope lol the developers were being completely sincere and they're just Nazis

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

Afghanistan 2011 was so incredibly tone-deaf that it was possible to mistake it for a deliberate anti-war statement, a dark satire in which you are forced to repeat all of the mistakes that led to the US losing the war in real life, doomed to fail because there is no option available to you but failure

but nope lol the developers were being completely sincere and they're just Nazis

game four will be about the al-aqsa flood and how frustrating it is that precision bombing the whole city and rooting out the legitimate terrorist headquarters underneath the hospitals does nothing but trigger the icj court hearing on you

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
they are a south african dev team lol...you should have known better

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Some rando on Steam posted:

As an OEF/OIF veteran I really want to like this game, truely I do. However, it isn't so much a wargame, tactical, operational or otherwise as it is a LOGCAP one. You'll spend more time conducting ReSupp missions to your FOB's and units in the field than actually engaging in COIN operations, which eventually becomes the sole focus of your playtime. I understand that this game mechanic is meant to be a sort of juggling act but it simply consumes far too much gameplay time.

It would've been nice to have this system somewhat automated - Create a convoy with the required assets, supplies and predefine the departure time at a given turn to resupply the FOB's, the convoys could then do their thing. The player could then inject themselves back into these missions should there be any damage or losses.

Perhaps the largest issue is that there is no way to conduct any sort of combat ops, large or otherwise to secure a village or town under Taliban or Militia control. Instead you're forced to do it via a rather abstract system of winning 'Hearts and Minds'. That's great and all for the locales that are neutral but not so much for those villages or towns that are firmly under enemy control (eg. Marjah/Op. Moshtarak). The Hearts and Minds aspect just doesn't work here and is simply a fundamentally flawed component as the time for building waterworks and delivering aid has long since past.

I hoping some of these issues will be addressed in the future, especially that of enemy strongholds.

Edit: Also, the first command cycle of my Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm PBEM game finished up - already have some screenshots and a draft post. Figured I'd effort post the scenario as I play through it as there seems to be some interest in that game.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Jan 21, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Very strong “we had to destroy the village to save it” energy from that review

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm doing a narrative LP on a hex-n-counter for the invasion of crete if people are interested in checking it out.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

BadOptics posted:

Edit: Also, the first command cycle of my Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm PBEM game finished up - already have some screenshots and a draft post. Figured I'd effort post the scenario as I play through it as there seems to be some interest in that game.

Hell yeah, please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

I'm doing a narrative LP on a hex-n-counter for the invasion of crete if people are interested in checking it out.

Oh cool looks interesting