Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I was gonna say, if the vet can put my dog down without it being at all painful or graphic, surely we can do the same for humans who we’ve deemed are irrevocably beyond rehabilitation.

But I guess that’s just me being a bleeding heart liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, if the state actually had an interest in doing this painlessly, they have access to a number of things that would work perfectly well. Even if they don't want to switch to a gas chamber and just use nitrogen, they could give a massive overdose of whatever liquid opioids. But, then they might not sate the blood lust of their constituents!

Y'know how Boeing decided they'd rather kill shitloads of people with the 737 MAX instead of admitting it was a clean sheet design and getting it type certified?
Methods of execution work similarly. Even if newer proposed methods would arguably be more efficient and arguably less cruel and unusual, all that stuff would have to be relitigated. (type certified in the analogy) That would take time, money and is uncertain. The uncertainty is mostly tied up with the fact that these days no legit/certified doctor is going to testify that any of those methods to kill people are AOK and pharmaceutical companies are no longer willing to supply drugs to do so.
And the folks on death row and all future defendants benefit from the procedure of executing someone being a clusterfuck. All the current fiddling with slightly different drug cocktails is like Boeing kludging what should have been a new aircraft type to pretend that it's still a 737 and it turning out worse.
Nobody on the anti death penalty side is going to advocate for a slightly nicer way to do what they're 100% against.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 17, 2024

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
I was involved in a car accident 2 days ago and was struck by a company vehicle. My vehicle is very likely to be totalled, and I was injured and will have ongoing medical treatments. My injury will affect my livelyhood and my ability to provide for my family. I was not at fault for the accident - there was a third vehicle involved in a (relatively) minor way and was also struck by the same vehicle. The third driver will corroborate the story.

I have left a message with one law office that was referred to me by an attorney who is a professional acquaintance of mine. What amount of time, if any, should I give to the first referred lawyer before I call another, too?

I don't know if this detail is important- I have left a message with the insurance adjuster of the company vehicle's insurance approx. 36 hours ago and I have not heard back. I will feel uncomfortable in giving the description of the events, mostly because the stakes seem high and I don't want to say the wrong thing.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Not a lawyer but I've hired a couple. Immediately call a couple more lawyers. You will want to talk to a couple before hiring them. So that means your real question is how long to wait before hiring a different lawyer. I think that depends on your friend, how close everyone is. You are going to hire whoever you feel best about, the time you give them to respond is just about being polite to your friend. But if they were busy and couldn't respond, I'm sure they will get it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Make sure to also contact your own insurance and start the claims process there.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Greetings, I'm hoping someone can give some advice I can pass on to a friend of mine. She has 2 young kids and her piece of poo poo Ex somehow has gone 2 years without paying any kind of child support.

He was in the army. She doesn't even know if he still is on reserves or got discharged or what. She can hardly work since she's always taking care of her kids while she lives with her parents, who hardly help her.

She keeps getting further in debt since she keeps getting poo poo lawyers. He somehow keeps having enough funds to continually take her to court even though he claims to not have money to give to her. Within the next couple weeks he's taking her to court and again trying to get sole custody even though she has it, he never has and doesn't pay any money.

Oh and also he has an extreme violent temper which a mediator witnessed but now can't be used since he's not on the case anymore? And he used to(probably still) does coke.

Thanks for anyone who reads this.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Captain Duvel posted:

Greetings, I'm hoping someone can give some advice I can pass on to a friend of mine. She has 2 young kids and her piece of poo poo Ex somehow has gone 2 years without paying any kind of child support.

He was in the army. She doesn't even know if he still is on reserves or got discharged or what. She can hardly work since she's always taking care of her kids while she lives with her parents, who hardly help her.

She keeps getting further in debt since she keeps getting poo poo lawyers. He somehow keeps having enough funds to continually take her to court even though he claims to not have money to give to her. Within the next couple weeks he's taking her to court and again trying to get sole custody even though she has it, he never has and doesn't pay any money.

Oh and also he has an extreme violent temper which a mediator witnessed but now can't be used since he's not on the case anymore? And he used to(probably still) does coke.

Thanks for anyone who reads this.

This sucks, but all roads here lead to 'get a lawyer'. There are free legal services for stuff like this - I'm not sure exactly what to search to find the exact thing you are looking for, but she needs a lawyer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gin posted:

I was involved in a car accident 2 days ago and was struck by a company vehicle. My vehicle is very likely to be totalled, and I was injured and will have ongoing medical treatments. My injury will affect my livelyhood and my ability to provide for my family. I was not at fault for the accident - there was a third vehicle involved in a (relatively) minor way and was also struck by the same vehicle. The third driver will corroborate the story.

I have left a message with one law office that was referred to me by an attorney who is a professional acquaintance of mine. What amount of time, if any, should I give to the first referred lawyer before I call another, too?

I don't know if this detail is important- I have left a message with the insurance adjuster of the company vehicle's insurance approx. 36 hours ago and I have not heard back. I will feel uncomfortable in giving the description of the events, mostly because the stakes seem high and I don't want to say the wrong thing.

IANAL but I'll try and think of some stuff that might have been good to know when I started going through the same thing:

1. There's no rush to do anything at this point. Statute of limitations varies by state but is usually 2+ years and that just means (if you end up having to) that you have to file suit within 2 years, it doesn't mean things have to actually be resolved in 2 years (I'm at 3.5 years and counting).
2. As I said, I'm at 3.5 years and counting. This poo poo takes forever. To get a good/fair settlement frequently takes a long time and longer than just settling for something mediocre.
3. Where the accident occurred makes a lot of difference. Whether the state has Personal Injury Protection insurance, whether it's a no fault state, etc.
4. Hopefully since it's a company vehicle they have good insurance but unless it's Amazon or Walmart or whatever it's definitely not guaranteed.
5. My medical bills were all paid by my health insurance but then they have the right to recover from any other sources i.e. the guys car insurance, my underinsured motorist insurance, any lawsuit assets, etc.
6. I'd take some notes about whatever you remember about the crash and about your medical treatments and condition. 18 months from now it can be good for settlement negotiations or testifying to have reminders about things because you'll start to forget.
7. Most docs will say whatever shape you're in at 12 to 18 months is when it's almost certainly permanent, i.e. if you still have pain or whatever at 18 months then you're probably going to have it for the rest of your life. At the six month point I still thought I was going to make a 99 or 100% recovery and probably would have settled for way less if I'd rushed into it, not knowing that I was going to have significant permanent problems.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 22, 2024

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Hi, I'm in Georgia and had a question about insurance payouts and what people are legally responsible for.

My sister died in a car accident in December. It was awful and my family is still picking up the pieces. She was 32. She had no estate and died with $100 in her bank account.

I was named the beneficiary of her life insurance and received the full payout. My mom has been dealing with lawyers regarding car insurance, however. My sister was the passenger in a car that got tboned. My mom is telling me she has to contact my sister's creditors, file a tax return, and they plus the hospital she was taken to when she was hit will have access to any payout from the wreck and it's unlikely they will see much money from it.

This doesn't fit with the research I've done on the situation. I believe that since my sister had no estate, her debts will go unpaid. I'm trying to encourage my mom to ensure that my sister's creditors don't come after any payout from that but she seems resigned to it. Who is right?

Debts only go unpaid when the persons estate doesn’t have any money to pay them. It sounds like the insurance money is going into your sister’s estate, which is then paying off the creditors.

You’d need an attorney to challenge it since it’s very state and fact specific. However, you should research estates more. Everyone has one upon death, but you seem to think they only exist if you die with money.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
e: nvm

Serious_Cyclone fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 18, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

How is mail theft likely prosecuted in Santa Clara County, CA?

This is a small group of people repeatedly entering my apartment building and emptying the mailboxes with a USPS master key. This is not outside. They are bypassing locked doors and gates and coming into our building. We have them on camera a couple times, and I am working on installing a silent alarm so the cops have a better chance of busting them. Over 100 people live in this apartment complex and are having their mail stolen multiple times per month.

Here are some charges that seem to fit the facts:

18 USC 1708 Theft or Receipt of Stolen Mail - felony 5 yr
18 USC 1704 Keys or Locks Stolen or Reproduced - felony 10 yr
CA PC 530.5(e) Mail theft - misdemeanor, refers to 18 USC 1704
CA PC 459 first-degree burglary - felony

Does anyone know how the charges work out, in practice? How likely is the USPIS to seriously pursue a case? Does the DA just wave around the big, bad federal charges to get a misdemeanor plea to 530.5(e)? Because of the DOJ Petite Policy, there's either federal or state prosecution, not both, right? But it's also 1st degree residential burglary, which earns you a strike and no probation in California.

This poo poo is going to go nuts over the holidays. So I am hoping they get caught. The building is in a location that has excellent response times (a block from 2 major arterials) and it happens during not-busy times (1-4 AM mid-week). I am trying to learn more about the legal aspects of this process.

B33rChiller posted:

If/when LE manages to nab someone, I would guess there's a good chance they come across enough evidence to slap on some identity theft charges too.

Update:

:owned:

One of them had a $50k warrant and is still in jail a week later.

I'm keeping an eye on PACER to see if the Postal Police join the party. But even if they don't, those 1st degree burglary charges have real teeth.

(This is what they were arrested for, but I think it'll be months before I know how the DA is going to charge it, etc.)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Any idea how they got caught?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Skunkduster posted:

Criminals are dumb

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The impression I got while I was a PD was that there's been an overall massive drop in classic residential burglaries over the past few years because the advent of omnipresent door cameras means anyone who tries it is on camera up and down the street and is usually caught quickly thereafter. So the burglars all either moved into other crime or moved into the big house.

We still saw some "burglaries" of the "homeless addict breaks into vacant house during winter storm" type but classic smash and grab robberies just don't happen nearly as often any more. You have to be real dumb to even try it and most of the people that dumb get caught real fast.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The impression I got while I was a PD was that there's been an overall massive drop in classic residential burglaries over the past few years because the advent of omnipresent door cameras means anyone who tries it is on camera up and down the street and is usually caught quickly thereafter. So the burglars all either moved into other crime or moved into the big house.

We still saw some "burglaries" of the "homeless addict breaks into vacant house during winter storm" type but classic smash and grab robberies just don't happen nearly as often any more. You have to be real dumb to even try it and most of the people that dumb get caught real fast.

In college when I sold home security systems for two months while I learned what a scam it all, we got to see some of the crime statistics about how like 85% of home burglaries are in low income areas, and the average cost of damage and goods stolen was way less than you end up paying for the home security system and the monitoring.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Skunkduster posted:

I ran outside and chained the doors shut, trapping them inside the apartment complex, lol.

We have a weird below-grade parking lot that wraps around the perimeter of the parcel, almost like a moat. So the property is effectively surrounded by 20 ft walls. They were so hosed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I’m not a lawyer and I don’t know what state you’re in, but that seems like the kind of thing I wouldn’t want to mention

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I mean, the cops came and didn't arrest the poster

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The cops loved it. High-fives all around.

The mail thieves tried to hide inside the apartment complex, so the cops brought in a german shepherd to root them out. I think even if they beat the charges, the whole experience will have a nice deterrent effect.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ryanrs posted:

The cops loved it. High-fives all around.

The mail thieves tried to hide inside the apartment complex, so the cops brought in a german shepherd to root them out. I think even if they beat the charges, the whole experience will have a nice deterrent effect.

chronic thieves are not likely going to be people controlled by rational impulses

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OP gonna lose the civil trial for kidnapping and wrongful imprisonment

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
literally cant even hold criminals hostage in america anymore

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

literally cant even hold criminals hostage in america anymore

Well I mean you can, you just have to form a corporate entity to do so.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

lol what a terrible idea, why would you do that

Actually don't explain, this thread is in enough exhibits already

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Cam'ron posted:

"If there was a serial killer living next door to you, and you knew he was killing people, you wouldn't call the police?" asked Cooper.

"If I knew the serial killer was living next to me, I wouldn't call and tell nobody on them, but I'd probably move...

Cam'ron posted:

"It’s about where you're living at,” he added. "Just because you snitch doesn’t mean [the defendant] is going to get convicted. Now you’re snitching on somebody who has to go through a court process, go through trial…and then comes out on the street and looks at you like, ‘That was you who told on me.’”

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Dumbass lawyer gets suspended from law, and also gets rear end handed to her by judge, all because she went Sov Cit over a balcony wall.

The case got resolved today and everyone’s like “A lawyer did this? An actual lawyer?” It’s loving funny.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Dumbass lawyer gets suspended from law, and also gets rear end handed to her by judge, all because she went Sov Cit over a balcony wall.

The case got resolved today and everyone’s like “A lawyer did this? An actual lawyer?” It’s loving funny.

quote:

Arbabi said she was appearing as "a living, breathing, alive woman," not a lawyer, and denied any association with organized pseudolegal groups.

Describing her approach as "law for mankind," Arbabi said she experienced an "awakening" during the COVID-19 pandemic, and began investigating after taking courses through a website called the Sovereign's Way.

"I practised law, but I was just practising it. Going through this claim, I mastered it. Because now I get exactly where things stand," she explained.

while you were filing motions, I was mastering the Law

This website has all the tricks they don't want you to know

https://thesovereignsway.com/

quote:

How To Protect Yourself And Those In Your Care
From Trespass By Way Of Force
Inside you will learn:
how to set your own laws as a man or woman over your own property, including your body;

how to set your own laws as a man or woman over your own property, including your body;

how to present your law through the use of notices to uphold your rights before they come knocking at your door;

how to enforce your rights at a court of law as a man or woman;

example notices in regard to trespass by way of force;

quote:

a practical knowledge and understanding of the world and your place in it;

what the fictional realm really is… and how to tell when you’re in it;

natural law, positive law, where your allegiance lies, and how you pledge it;

how the banking system really works – what is actually fraud and what isn’t;

the name game you’ve been playing without knowing… and how to stop losing;

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 20, 2024

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool mental breakdown

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We had a lawyer or JD come in here like a decade ago asking if one could individually become a secured party lender or somesuch for their strawman.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

bird with big dick posted:

I'll try and think of some stuff that might have been good to know when I started going through the same thing:

1. There's no rush to do anything at this point. Statute of limitations is almost always 2 years and that just means (if you end up having to) that you have to file suit within 2 years, it doesn't mean things have to actually be resolved in 2 years (I'm at 3.5 years and counting).
2. As I said, I'm at 3.5 years and counting. This poo poo takes forever. To get a good/fair settlement frequently takes a long time and longer than just settling for something mediocre.
3. Where the accident occurred makes a lot of difference. Whether the state has Personal Injury Protection insurance, whether it's a no fault state, etc.
4. Hopefully since it's a company vehicle they have good insurance but unless it's Amazon or Walmart or whatever it's definitely not guaranteed.
5. My medical bills were all paid by my health insurance but then they have the right to recover from any other sources i.e. the guys car insurance, my underinsured motorist insurance, any lawsuit assets, etc.
6. I'd take some notes about whatever you remember about the crash and about your medical treatments and condition. 18 months from now it can be good for settlement negotiations or testifying to have reminders about things because you'll start to forget.
7. Most docs will say whatever shape you're in at 12 to 18 months is when it's almost certainly permanent, i.e. if you still have pain or whatever at 18 months then you're probably going to have it for the rest of your life. At the six month point I still thought I was going to make a 99 or 100% recovery and probably would have settled for way less if I'd rushed into it, not knowing that I was going to have significant permanent problems.

You have experience in this sort of thing but you are giving irresponsible advice and shouldn’t do this. Just as an example, it’s not true that “Statute of limitations is almost always 2 years.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You have experience in this sort of thing but you are giving irresponsible advice and shouldn’t do this. Just as an example, it’s not true that “Statute of limitations is almost always 2 years.”

Yeah this is a big deal. Some states the SoL for auto personal injury is only a year. Some states it is five years. Everything litigation wise is very state specific, and you should not ever say that something is true everywhere just because it is true in your state.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Are you questioning the legal bona fides of Bird With Big Dick, Esq?!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

null_pointer posted:

Are you questioning the legal bona fides of Bird With Big Dick, Esq?!

I'll admit they've won more money in court than me.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just as an example, it’s not true that “Statute of limitations is almost always 2 years.”

Speaking to a psychologist taught me that in NJ the statue of limitations on childhood SA is seven years or until the victim reaches the age of 55.

I declined, not to protect the bastard, but to spare my mother. I still have time, and karma's not done with them yet.

e: \/ I don't know. I think it was only 7 years at the start, and they added the age 55 part afterwards.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 20, 2024

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So the greater of seven years from the event or until the victim reaches 55?

When does the seven years ever come into play?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FrozenVent posted:

Benjamin Button maybe?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

The linked page explains it: “Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse have until age 55 or seven years from the time that they became aware that their trauma is linked with financial harm (a process called “discovery”)”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That just raises more questions tbh.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hypothetical: Could Bird With Big Dick sue the makers of the below product by demonstrating he had prior art? Could a judge be convinced that, through years of demonstrated shitposts, he owns the concept of any depiction of a well hung birb?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

[Spoilered for crude cartoon schlong]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's not a bird with a big dick, that's a bird that someone has decided to stick their dick directly under. Those dick pills actually make you want to gently caress birds I guess