Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Coolness Averted posted:

Sable has a ton of stuff going for it, the puzzles and environment just seem to flow into each other really well, like just where I find myself exploring tends to either be where I need to go or lead somewhere useful for the next one so I can say 'Ah ha! I know exactly where those beetles I need to catch for this NPC are.'

It runs like absolute rear end on the PS5 though. Shadows flicker and the frame rate routinely chugs down to 10ish so FPS when traveling or if you pan the camera to look at the beautiful scenery like you're supposed to.

I heard it got a patch for pc and xbox that largely fixed this after release, but a year+ later and it's still really bad on the sony console.

Nah it's still pretty bad on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Playing Evil West, free on PS Plus, and it's a decent-enough (at least since I didn't spend actual money on it) sort of "360/PS3-era" throwback style third person action game. But it has a few annoyances.

1) Like lots of games, the top bar in the main is for the main categories like "Lore", "Skills," "Settings", etc... and there are sub-menus under that. It also uses the L and R buttons/triggers to scroll through them...but it's backwards. My muscle memory is always wanting to use L2/R2 for the big "main" category menu and L1/R1 for the sub-menus, but Evil West uses L1/R1 for the main and L2/R2 for the sub.

2) Like many games of that era, more difficulty typically just means enemies take more damage, deal more damage, and there will be more of them. I can deal with the first two, but the "bigger" fights just throwing in more fodder is a bitch because so far this game is TERRIBLE with crowd control.

I just made it to the fourth chapter (basically third since the first is a glorified tutorial) and there's really only two attacks that can hit multiple guys. A sawed-off shotgun with a long cooldown, and a sort of electrical "ground pound" that SAYS in the description it knocks-down enemies that are close to you, but so far I've never had it knock-down or stun anyone, and I've done it when basically touching some bad guys. And there's always either little flying guys that shoot at you, or (even worse) dudes that sort of stumble around on the outskirts of arenas, lobbing exploding toxic bombs at you. They are the worst. There will almost always be other guys between you and them, so the "auto-aim" for the rifle rarely properly "snaps" to them as a target, and they throw out SO MANY bombs. Like, one every couple seconds...and then every now and then they go into a sort of "overdrive" mode and throw out like fifteen in a five second period. They do a good deal of initial damage AND do DoT for several seconds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I always get that game, Hard West, and Weird West mixed up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always get that game, Hard West, and Weird West mixed up.

Don’t forget Blood West

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Last Celebration posted:

Also a pet peeve: Game of the Year/remasters/[insert rerelease here] versions of a game that have the DLC bundled in, but no clear marker of what’s the base game stuff and the new stuff that’s an optional bonus.
The Civ series is pretty bad about this. Their general release schedule for the last few main games has been base + 2 big expansion packs + minor stuff (VI has done more of the latter). However, they also release all kinds of Gold/Complete/Anthology/whatever compilations that may or may not have all the extra content. Plus now with VI, they're continuing to add small DLC leaders and such even after the "finished" editions.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Whoever was talking about the preponderance of text messages and poo poo in games like Cyberpunk struck a chord with me. Jesus Christ, I get enough of that poo poo in my day to life and only settle in to play games when my phone messages are cleared out and my email in box is read.

One game I'm reminded of is the first Dead Rising game which I could never get into because, right out of the gate, the game is tossing "rescue Sally/Bob in the food court" prompts at me that are also very hard to read. It was overwhelming and I had no loving idea what to do first/next.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

One game I'm reminded of is the first Dead Rising game which I could never get into because, right out of the gate, the game is tossing "rescue Sally/Bob in the food court" prompts at me that are also very hard to read. It was overwhelming and I had no loving idea what to do first/next.

Did you play it on a CRT? It was famously illegible on those which was a real problem since it came out when most TVs were still CRTs.

One of my college friends lost his poo poo when he booted it up on his crummy dorm TV for the first time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Did you play it on a CRT? It was famously illegible on those which was a real problem since it came out when most TVs were still CRTs.

One of my college friends lost his poo poo when he booted it up on his crummy dorm TV for the first time.

I remember that era of games and how frustrating it was. That also killed my interest in Dead Rising.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think you will find that the blur and distortion is the intended experience and anyone running the game on a modern tv is cheating themselves

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I played the first Dynasty Warriors on Xbox 360 on a CRT and it would actually give me migraines when I tried to focus on the various blobs on the map or text. I couldn't play for more than half an hour or so.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bussamove posted:

Fallout: New Vegas syndrome. Nothing like stepping outside Doc Mitchell’s house to several popups to click through and a bajillion items materializing in your pockets.

Yet another thing that Sleeping Dogs does well (in the Definitive Edition)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

exquisite tea posted:

Nah it's still pretty bad on PC.

Thanks for the heads up, I was considering buying it to play on my deck since I heard PC was way better performance wise, and I got it free on ps+ so it's not like I double paid for it. Sucks though, because it's supposed to be a chill and pretty puzzle game, but the visual bugs and slowdown make it aggravating.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Morpheus posted:

I played the first Dynasty Warriors on Xbox 360

Oh man, that game was awful. For some reason they also decided to mix up what weapons people used between games. So someone like Xiahou Dun who always used a giant sword got changed to a spiked club.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid Prime has a faithful remaster, right down to that drat mine level barely having any checkpoints. I must say that Samus looks absolutely terrifying with her helmet off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnypNCDAKAU&t=1126s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Last Celebration posted:

Also a pet peeve: Game of the Year/remasters/[insert rerelease here] versions of a game that have the DLC bundled in, but no clear marker of what’s the base game stuff and the new stuff that’s an optional bonus.

I often buy games years after they've come and gone, so as a bonus they often include all the DLC. Most of the time when I buy a AAA game from six years ago, I have to get through 20 windows of "GIMMICK WEAPON UNLOCKED!!!!" messages. Then when I begin the game the first crate I open has endgame weaponry in it. :sigh:

This is the case with any Ubisoft game I think.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Metroid Prime has a faithful remaster, right down to that drat mine level barely having any checkpoints. I must say that Samus looks absolutely terrifying with her helmet off.

She just looks like a pretty standard three dimensional video game lady. What's terrifying about her?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

She just looks like a pretty standard three dimensional video game lady. What's terrifying about her?

Not the OP but most of her face is stand video game pretty lady but her eyes definitely look off in a way that makes it kinda uncanny valley. Too shiny and… wet looking?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

She looked kind of dead eyed to me, but I figured it was on account of all the horrors she's seen and done

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Not the OP but most of her face is stand video game pretty lady but her eyes definitely look off in a way that makes it kinda uncanny valley. Too shiny and… wet looking?

The yakuza 5 remaster has the same issue, I took a screenshot of what looks like a bleary-eyed Kiryu making conversation in his taxi because it looked like both men had been up all night crying

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

The yakuza 5 remaster has the same issue, I took a screenshot of what looks like a bleary-eyed Kiryu making conversation in his taxi because it looked like both men had been up all night crying

Yakuza cutscene models seriously looks kinda ugly up until Yakuza 0, which is serviceable at its absolute worst and often gorgeous when it comes to its actual cutscenes due to the lighting. And it’s not even a case of the console jump since it’s originally a cross platform PS3/PS4 release but Sega only localized the latter. It’s not really a game breaker for me, just kind of a funny oddity I didn’t expect going into the PS3 games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Celebration posted:

Yakuza cutscene models seriously looks kinda ugly up until Yakuza 0, which is serviceable at its absolute worst and often gorgeous when it comes to its actual cutscenes due to the lighting. And it’s not even a case of the console jump since it’s originally a cross platform PS3/PS4 release but Sega only localized the latter. It’s not really a game breaker for me, just kind of a funny oddity I didn’t expect going into the PS3 games.

I played 4 on the PS3 in late 2012-early 2013 and it wasn’t notably bad with character models, honestly it was pretty good. I think remasters just hit this hard since they’re older models with modern resolutions and lighting tricks. Old ones still are in the area where it looks okay, new ones end up looking like the people from Toy Story- more realistic than the art style was meant for. The eyes have more detail put into them so human eyes and doll skin is like WHAT THE gently caress

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

I still think the "remastered" game's look is worse and more generic than the original in general.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I played 4 on the PS3 in late 2012-early 2013 and it wasn’t notably bad with character models, honestly it was pretty good. I think remasters just hit this hard since they’re older models with modern resolutions and lighting tricks. Old ones still are in the area where it looks okay, new ones end up looking like the people from Toy Story- more realistic than the art style was meant for. The eyes have more detail put into them so human eyes and doll skin is like WHAT THE gently caress

Yeah that’s fair, I just looked up the Yakuza 4/5 install videos and the models look a lot better there.

Which is another very little, nitpicky thing dragging down the remasters: the install screen for 4 is a J-Rock track, For Faith, which gets remixed for the final boss three times before the instrumental version plays for taking down the mastermind. 5’s install screen (which was only ever a thing in Japan) is just the game’s theme, Battle for the Dream, which gets used as a leitmotif in some places and as the final boss. It’s always hype when the opening theme gets used for the final boss (see Elden Ring) so it’s a little bit of a bummer that the remasters don’t afaik account for the lack of an install screen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

If Kiryu was trying to get the Baka Mitai high score that's probably exactly what happened

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. Silver bokoblins etc sure are annoying as hell. Got 3 divine beasts down and I get near one-shot by those assholes still, plus they take like 15+ hits themselves to kill.

What a weird decision. Are they similarly scaled in TotK?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dandywalken posted:

playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. Silver bokoblins etc sure are annoying as hell. Got 3 divine beasts down and I get near one-shot by those assholes still, plus they take like 15+ hits themselves to kill.

Yeah, they scale the same in TotK, though you have better tools to deal with them. Still not great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Yes. You gotta upgrade your armor and use your good weapons on them. The weapon thing is alleviated somewhat in TOTK because weapons get most of their strength from fused monster horns so you're guaranteed to get strong weapons from strong monsters. But it's still annoying - not so much from difficulty but from tedium.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also silver monsters are more palatable because at least you get a goofy clown hat that gives a lot of attack. Being able to cheese them between ambush mushrooms and an infinite source of reliable ice damage makes them a lot better in ToTK, but since silver enemies are just things you’ll eventually see by defeating enough enemies they really should be weaker in both games.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, TotK is one of my favourite games of all time, but the scaling is too hard and too quick and it leads to a couple issues.

The first is suddenly you find yourself losing half of your life in a single hit when you were doing just fine before.
The obvious answer is upgrade your armour, but that leads to the second issue.

Upgrading your armour usually requires monster parts, but since lower tier monsters stop appearing nearly as often and you use their parts to strengthen your weapons you can find yourself in a situation where you have the parts needed to get the third or even fourth upgrade, but not enough to get the second upgrade.

Also even though there are a couple ways to make them stronger, your companions don't scale nearly as well as the monsters, so they aren't too useful in combat.

Except for Tulin, he's made out of feathers and spite and hearing the "DING!" sound as he shoots a massive monster in the eye will never not be funny.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Huh thats a shame. Was going to check it out next but will prob skip unless mods are avail to help smooth that stuff like for BotW

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tears of the Kingdom is an amazing game, and probably better than Breath of the Wild. The only reason I would suggest not playing it right after BotW is because they are very similar and you will get burned out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It does still kind of have the same issue as BotW where the actual story bits can come across as cut and paste.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

muscles like this! posted:

It does still kind of have the same issue as BotW where the actual story bits can come across as cut and paste.

Yeah, I think the story is more interesting, but it still suffers from pieces mostly having to work separately whenever you happen to find them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God of War Ragnarok is a boring rear end game. I can't believe this was directed by the same team as the first one, it is almost depressingly paint-by-the-numbers game design. Characters have one back and forth line, there's a chest. Characters have another back and forth line, there's a chest. I can't get into any of the dialogue because it's written in very intentional stops and starts and it's sad because these are excellent performances.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sadder because those excellent performances are breaking their backs lugging around sunny suljuc's mushy monotone

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cyberpunk 2077 has a truly egregious number of quests where you are given no information and expected to just follow a waypoint with no reason to care. I've lost count of the number of times someone you're working with on a job tells you some variation of "you'll find out in due time" while expecting you to go somewhere or follow them, or you get a text from an unknown person telling you to meet somewhere with no explanation, or an ally calls you and tell you they need help with something but refuse to tell you what you're doing until you arrive (or several steps of the quest later). it would be mysterious if it happened once or twice except it's so common that it's actually just goddamn insufferable, and your only alternative is to just permanently refuse whatever the content is.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That's how I reach out to friends when I need help moving, maybe one of your contacts needs V to help get a loveseat out a window?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bawk posted:

Playing through Coral Island, which is basically just Stardew Valley but it's tropical. That's not a mark against it IMO, it's a very good game with a bit more going on compared to vanilla Stardew, and a couple minor concessions/QOL things that I love.

2 things that are minor annoyances:

There's 2 different types of errands people will put on the notice board: Urgent, and Regular. Regular will basically just say "hey, plant this crop TODAY and you'll have enough time to hand me it and turn in this quest" while the Urgent errands are "hey, I need you to bring me this crop in 2 days" which may as well say "hey, I need you to bring me this crop IMMEDIATELY" because unless you're already growing that crop, there's no possible way to fulfill that request. My very first Errand that I grabbed form the Notice Board was a Regular Errand, and every single one since then has been Urgent. Nothing like checking the Notice Board on Day 1 of Summer, and seeing a request from somebody saying "URGENT: BRING ME TWO PAPAYAS" when a Papaya tree takes 10 days to grow in Summer. :geno: Repeat this for every other type of crop, and that's been my whole experience so far. Especially if it's one of those crops that takes 12 days to grow, and I see 2 separate Urgent Errands appear to deliver one of them before Day 12 even hits.

The second thing ties into the first thing: sometimes NPCs just gently caress off someplace, so you can't even turn in their urgent quest. I got accepted into the Band of Smiles (monster hunting guild) and took my first request from their Cave-centric Notice Board in their headquarters, which was an Urgent Delivery for 6 pieces of coal. Sure, no prob, I have that on me. It said to turn the quest in to Jio Dan, who runs the Band of Smiles shop, within 2 days. Again, no prob, I was just looking at the shop, I'll turn around and walk 5 feet to drop this off... except Jio Dan's NPC model isn't there. :psyduck: His face pops up when you use the shop, but he doesn't exist. He's nowhere on the map. You cannot talk to him, despite taking his urgent request. Some people on Steam mentioned he can just disappear like that, but if you talk to him again you might still be able to turn the quest in. I checked the map every morning, noon, and night, looking for his name in the BOS base, the house next to it, the mine, anywhere, and he finally appeared on the map again after five days. And no, I could not turn in his urgent quest.
I made it to Winter, the game's really getting interesting but its mostly because of the merfolk.

I noticed during the fall festival that NPCs kept talking about wearing costumes, but nobody had any costumes on. I went and googled the bug, because the game has been getting buggier and glitchier over time, as well as multiple locations which felt pretty bare/nobody to talk to/nothing to do, and found this (mild story spoilers)

Merfolk content ain't even in the game yet!

I was excited to see this game get a 1.0 release, but purposefully didnt reed deep into it so its content could be a surprise. I wasn't expecting them to still be in loving Early Access but with a 1.0 sticker slapped on the front. Just release it when it's done! :argh:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid Prime is very much a product of its time, even remastered in 2023, and it bears the scars of its troubled development.
  • The game has good level design, but poor world design that forces you to breeze through the same sequences of rooms over and over.
  • No hubs and very few shortcuts. Magmoor Cavern is a straight line you have to commute through ad nauseum.
  • It gets obnoxious with the color-coded doors and enemies. This gimmick would work fine for a boss, less so for random enemies.
  • The beginning of Phazon Mine is a thirty minute stretch without saving. I had to camp in a corridor and grind on fodder enemies until full health.
  • The bosses are rear end, namely the Omega Pirate. I would take Diggernaut anyday over a big guy in a small room who pushes you into a radioactive puddle. The first person viewpoint was not meant for this kind of combat.
  • There's no progression meter for any of the five zones. No collectibles are marked on the map, not even in the remaster. Resident Evil got this right at the same time with the color-coded map.
Beating this game really makes me want to complete Dread a third time.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Metroid Prime is very much a product of its time, even remastered in 2023, and it bears the scars of its troubled development.
  • The game has good level design, but poor world design that forces you to breeze through the same sequences of rooms over and over.
  • No hubs and very few shortcuts. Magmoor Cavern is a straight line you have to commute through ad nauseum.
  • It gets obnoxious with the color-coded doors and enemies. This gimmick would work fine for a boss, less so for random enemies.
  • The beginning of Phazon Mine is a thirty minute stretch without saving. I had to camp in a corridor and grind on fodder enemies until full health.
  • The bosses are rear end, namely the Omega Pirate. I would take Diggernaut anyday over a big guy in a small room who pushes you into a radioactive puddle. The first person viewpoint was not meant for this kind of combat.
  • There's no progression meter for any of the five zones. No collectibles are marked on the map, not even in the remaster. Resident Evil got this right at the same time with the color-coded map.
Beating this game really makes me want to complete Dread a third time.

If you haven't played it, you would probably like Prime 3 more. It's a bit more focused (read: linear) on the world and explorative design, and there is in fact a computer you can find (eventually),that puts all the items on the map.