Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you scroll down there are like 30 "rogue" trademarks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

if you scroll down there are like 30 "rogue" trademarks

As I understand it (I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice), it's possible to have multiple companies hold the same trademark, so long as they're in different areas. For example, there's a Roguelike Tavern in the Los Angeles area, who could potentially hold the "Rogue" mark for the business of selling drinks and food. That doesn't conflict with Atari wanting the mark for videogames.

Marks are also only really valid so long as you're actually using them. You have a year after acquiring the mark to start using it, and the USPTO will periodically check in and request proof that you're actually using the mark in your business. If you can't provide that proof (or don't pay to re-up the trademark), it expires. Marks expire all the time because they're no longer being exploited, and when that happens, another company can potentially register the mark in the same kind of business. For example, I was briefly considering calling my next game "Disruptor" (since it's about going after techbros)...there's a 90's game with the same name, but that's not really an issue because nobody's selling the game any more and the mark has expired. So I could apply for that mark if I wanted (I won't, because I came up with a better name).

So basically, what we have here is "Atari is potentially planning to start commercializing the word "Rogue" sometime in the next year or so". They might still not bother, but they decided it was a reasonable business decision to pay the fairly nominal fee to request the mark.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

just me and the boys on the path to achra

liturgist is pretty funny. sadly I died at the final boss because all of his buddies had inflame on summon lol, and the map was small enough that most of my actual summons couldnt get through

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I played a round of the new Last Of Us roguelike for the PS5 LOU2 remaster, and I managed to die after winning the round and getting the "You Won!" screen.

I guess I bled out for some reason? The post game screen had a million useless stats, but not how I actually died lol

Anyway, game design is hard I guess!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

babypolis posted:

liturgist is pretty funny. sadly I died at the final boss because all of his buddies had inflame on summon lol, and the map was small enough that most of my actual summons couldnt get through

lol that rules

I did a volkite with the boys that cruised to the king and then could do no damage and died. Pure fire, c7

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

babypolis posted:

This build screams "take Mass Mind" to me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253ruzlxSQA

They're adding pvp to Astral Ascent lol It's currently in public beta. The devs actually ran a poll asking players what sort of content they want to see next and the pvp mode was relatively popular. Next update's also adding 5 new spells per hero.

They're also adding new weapons and abilities to each character (so new movesets) in Q2, a new character in Q3 and a new game mode in Q4 :allears:

These were the poll results:

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 20, 2024

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Tiny Rogues chat continued.

Something I find irritating is no blacksmiths or repair powder on floors 11 and 12. If I have an armor build and take some damage, I'm basically boned. Guess I need to remember to always keep a powder on me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Repair powder is fairly easy to stock up on, just find a tavern and reroll until the dwarf shows up. It's expensive if you're evil, though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253ruzlxSQA

They're adding pvp to Astral Ascent lol It's currently in public beta. The devs actually ran a poll asking players what sort of content they want to see next and the pvp mode was relatively popular. Next update's also adding 5 new spells per hero.

They're also adding new weapons and abilities to each character (so new movesets) in Q2, a new character in Q3 and a new game mode in Q4 :allears:

These were the poll results:

this is baffling to me, seems like a ton of work for something that will barely get used

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

This build screams "take Mass Mind" to me.

Is that psychic? That would cut down on the boys spam since you get more from each cult power you have but then again having too many boys was kind of a problem

babypolis fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 20, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

babypolis posted:

Is that psychic? That would cut down on the guys spam since you get more from each cult power you have but then again having too many guys was kind of a problem

yeah and it would also mandate taking either Astral or Life for the ability to make allies immune to friendly fire. mass mind is extremely good with that setup, and in general, but you have to be willing to take it to like rank 10 so that it just hits everything all the time

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
astral ascent at evo

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I feel like the addition of PvP has to be one of those cases where the devs had toyed with the idea before but the moment some modicum of interest from the community manifested, they decided to go for it lol

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Astral Ascent not quite making forward dev progress in a normal sense of it compared the vast majority of peers was the weird aspect it had after first starting EA until finally making it to v1.0, so I guess PvP will fill that role of Distinction in the lands of post-release. It does seem like they will simply weave in more normal, sane updates alongside it---so I guess it will work out well enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really liked Astral Ascent but once I got the true ending for one of the characters I just kind of lost all desire to play more or push harder difficulties.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Adventures in Early Console Roguelikes
Vol 1 - Dragon Crystal
Platform - Sega Master System + Game Gear
Dev/Pub - Sega
12/22/1990

(that is an awful game start spawn, btw. those enemies are really difficult for a fresh character)

I played the Game Gear version, since it has a set on RetroAchievements. There's also a PAL-only SMS version, more on that in a bit. Movement and actions are 4 directions only, no diagonals. Probably for the best since that'd be difficult to implement on D-pads. The "dungeon" is 30 floors and to win, all you need to do is pick up the macguffin (in this case, a magical chalice), and the game instantly ends. I think the story is an isekai, meaning a normal modern-day human gets suddenly transported to a different world. It's an anime/manga cliche.

D-pad moves around and attacks with melee, B (or "1" in the case of Game Gear) opens the menu and cancels selections, A ("2") enters selections and waits a turn when not in the menu screen. All the Start button does is speed up the game. You have to hold it down to do this, really annoying. The USB controller I was using for most of my time playing this has a hard-coded function to swap between DInput and XInput by holding the Start button for 5 seconds, so that made it extra annoying to work around. You can equip one melee weapon, one set of armor, and one ring at a time. Consumables are books (scrolls), potions, and wands. Equipment needs to be worn-ID'd, but you can throw the consumables at enemies to ID them. That's pretty nifty. You can also throw unwanted equipment at far-away foes and it inflicts mild damage if it lands a hit! There's also food, gold, and XP, although the latter is not visible to the player. When you level-up you gain stats (fixed amounts) and a new cosmetic title. Level cap is 16. There are no shops in this game, so the only thing gold is used for is to continue if you die. So there's only partial permadeath. I don't recall how much continues cost, but I think it's at least 4 digits. There's a cap on continue use, it's either 3 or 4, and they might get more expensive consecutively. Continuing keeps your stats, XP level, and equipped weapon/armor, but you lose the rest of your items. There is no save system or password or anything, so the game must be beaten in one sitting (on a real Game Gear, that is; better plug that poo poo in with the AC adapter).

There's an egg (it hatches into a dragon and grows with character levels) that follows you, but its only use is to block melee attacks from behind. Ranged mobs will shoot right through it. Otherwise, it's just flavor and does nothing. Missed opportunity, IMO! There is good ol' retro 4-channel PSG music, but not very much of it. You get the same BGM for blocks of 10 levels and it gets annoying after a while. There are unique title and ending tracks, and the latter isn't bad. Some of the background tiles that make up the dungeon walls are pretty odd. Think sunflowers and moai statues.

Exploration is kinda weird. Anything notable on any floor (items, monsters, the exit) is always located in a vault, but the paths between them are kinda maze-like. I'm not the biggest fan of this. Instead of having LOS or fog-of-war, the entire floor layout is unknown to you, represented as colorless BG tiles (see the screenshot above), until you move next to them. Vaults reveal themselves all at once. Thankfully I didn't get lost often, despite the GG's piddly resolution, because the maps are pretty small. There are secret paths, and they can only be on the X axis. To reveal them you need to face them and wait turns until they appear. One of the rings lets you uncover them with 1 turn. Even though they're invisible, it's fairly easy to tell where they might be: dead-ends or vaults without an obvious entrance. Well, most of the time. I recall a few instances of some possible unreachable rooms with apparently no entrance. More than once, I walked right into the exit portal while exploring, so care should be taken until it is found.

I wouldn't say it's a difficult game, because I got a win on my 2nd attempt. And on the very first, I made it all the way to floor 29 before I ran out of continues. There aren't many enemy types in this game, and there's no endboss or anything. Some of the monsters have added effects to their attacks, the worst being Dizzy (moving/attacking is random), and stat rot: the snails can permanently reduce Str, and the treants reduce max HP :argh: Thankfully the fuckers that corrode equipment are slow and can easily be dodged. The last 2 floors are just brutal because of Dragons. Dragons are massive sacks of HP that deal huge chunks of your HP in damage. Even at max level and with really good stats (my winning game had 72 Str, 50 AC) they weren't really safe to fight. I may have been able to take down a few using consumables, but my pack was growing light by the time I got there and it was also past my bedtime so I managed to stumble into the correct vault and yoink the chalice, with a bunch of dragons closing in for the kill.

That's a cool The End screen. Over the course of 2 long runs, I completed 3/4ths of the achievements. The rest will require many repeated playthroughs (because RL RNG), but I don't think I'll be doing that. I didn't really like it all that much. I've never heard of the maze-y exploration style before I played this and I'm glad that it is not a thing in contemporary genre examples. Thus, I'd rate GG Dragon Crystal:

* * . . .

Two pips out of 5. Wasn't terrible or anything but I do not recommend it. I guess others have similar opinions because I've never seen any discussion of it on the internet.

Oh yeah, the SMS version.

(those ground tiles look awful on my system: pale blue dots on bright green. blegh. is that an HDMI thing?)

Only released in EU and Brazil. So it runs (properly) at 50hz. Thankfully (and surprisingly), if it's told to, my PC monitor syncs to 50hz just fine so that is not an issue for me, but I can see where it would be for others without that capability. The viewing area is much wider than on Game Gear, and I don't think the maps are any larger, so that's a big improvement already. It also defaults to fast game speed, and the Start button is a toggle to slow it down, but in a game where you can't save/quit, I don't know why anyone would want to play it slower. The music is different, and I like it better. Some enemy sprites have been changed, as well as names of items. Books are now Scrolls, as RNGesus intended. Even the controls seem a bit snappier. I wasn't having any issues unintentionally wandering into floor exits. One thing that bothered me was that there was no level-up jingle, so I had no idea when that occurred. Honestly, though, if I ever revisit this game again, it'll likely be this version instead.

P.S. my USB Saturn pad (that I historically used for Sega emulation) broke during my winning run. I was having problems with right inputs on the D-pad, and I figured some debris got underneath, so I opened it to clean and welp...

Snapped right off. What a cheap piece of poo poo. That was just from regular use, I didn't break it with disassembly. I considered replacing it with the same brand (Retro-bit), but the Retro Thread goons have suggested an 8BitDo M30, which I think I'll do instead.

Next time on AECR: Sega, again. That dev team apparently loved computer RLs so much that they made two for consoles simultaneously!

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 21, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ofecks posted:

Adventures in Early Console Roguelikes
Vol 1 - Dragon Crystal

Kickass writeup, thank you!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The guys who previously made Shotgun King are back with Super Algebrawl, where the gimmick is that your troops have numeric values, and you have to use algebraic operations to combine them in ways that match the enemies' strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9mB1k3-neg

I bought their Steam bundle which has Shotgun King (which they reworked just today), Super Algebrawl and a Pong roguelite called MOONPONG: Tales of Epic Lunacy, so I've only played Super Algebrawl for a few runs, but it seems cute and fun so far.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shotgun King got a second rework? I'll have to look into that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The guys who previously made Shotgun King are back with Super Algebrawl, where the gimmick is that your troops have numeric values, and you have to use algebraic operations to combine them in ways that match the enemies' strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9mB1k3-neg

I bought their Steam bundle which has Shotgun King (which they reworked just today), Super Algebrawl and a Pong roguelite called MOONPONG: Tales of Epic Lunacy, so I've only played Super Algebrawl for a few runs, but it seems cute and fun so far.

Finally a use for algebra.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
After a long break from the demo, I finally purchased Path of Achra and managed my first ever win!

Winning, I feel, was less because of optimizing (as evidenced by my summoning class, number of allies summoned and total number of enemies killed by summons, which, honestly, was actually higher than I thought it would be...) and more because, uh, OK, how long has this game had the ability to sacrifice equipment to other equipment? Good golly. If that's always been a thing, I'm actually shocked I'd managed to get into the void a few times before this run. That and the snap decision to start wielding the Staff of Life in my offhand. I dealt reasonable damage every turn regardless of if I was moving, attacking, or standing still, and that extra several hundred health healed by standing still really saved my rear end on two of the final maps. Almost never prayed to Humbaba, but it turned one or two fights.

Another clear sign I wasn't optimized? My biggest individual damage shots were all Lightning, and I had only 3 lightning skill levels total. Wild stuff. The game definitely appeals to my reactive play style, I will give it that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veryslightlymad posted:

After a long break from the demo, I finally purchased Path of Achra and managed my first ever win!

Winning, I feel, was less because of optimizing (as evidenced by my summoning class, number of allies summoned and total number of enemies killed by summons, which, honestly, was actually higher than I thought it would be...) and more because, uh, OK, how long has this game had the ability to sacrifice equipment to other equipment? Good golly. If that's always been a thing, I'm actually shocked I'd managed to get into the void a few times before this run. That and the snap decision to start wielding the Staff of Life in my offhand. I dealt reasonable damage every turn regardless of if I was moving, attacking, or standing still, and that extra several hundred health healed by standing still really saved my rear end on two of the final maps. Almost never prayed to Humbaba, but it turned one or two fights.

Another clear sign I wasn't optimized? My biggest individual damage shots were all Lightning, and I had only 3 lightning skill levels total. Wild stuff. The game definitely appeals to my reactive play style, I will give it that.

Hell yeah! Sacrifice is a relatively recent addition, and is quite important. There’s even a race (goblin) that gets significant extra bonuses from sacrificing.

Meanwhile, I’m struggling on the path at cycle eight…

e:

e2 :toot:

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 22, 2024

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
How do you get started with Path of Achra? I feel like the game just threw millions of combinations at me without much of a guideline. Is there a (to use a DCSS allegory that's probably a decade out of date) a Troll Berserker or a Minotaur Fighter equivalent that's recommended to start with?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ferroque posted:

really late but finally beat nethack

feels good to cross this one off the list.

Congrats on the YAFAP!

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Elswyyr posted:

How do you get started with Path of Achra? I feel like the game just threw millions of combinations at me without much of a guideline. Is there a (to use a DCSS allegory that's probably a decade out of date) a Troll Berserker or a Minotaur Fighter equivalent that's recommended to start with?

I don't remember exactly the starting options that are at your disposition from the start god and culture-wise, but I think picking starting options that reward attack, putting almost all your stats points in strength (a bit of DEX + the occasional heal if needed) and all your skill points in bhleiht nocht (I think it's the correct spelling) and unlocking the associated prestige class should be pretty foolproof. Equipment wise, you'll only need a dual wielded melee weapon.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I tend to build myself around the first interesting equipment I find, which is probably worse than the trio of picks you make at the start.

Which is probably why I have only beaten it once.

But in all honesty, skills and equipment _do_ seem to matter a bit more than religion or class. Culture seems to make a bit of a difference, though. (Watch this be completely backward)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Scourgebringer. This game copies Monolith (aka Star of Providence) as much as is possible given that the combat is different. Like I have never seen so much about a game copied wholesale, and not in a theft way in a wow these devs are crazy about Monolith sort of way, down to the lettering. And it has even less run to run variation than Monolith so unfortunately I don't enjoy it! The mechanics are so counterintuitive you have a dash that you constsntly have to use that autolocks onto enemies but it gives zero iframes and it was just not enough fun to break my brain's habits. Its on sale if any of that interests you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

I tend to build myself around the first interesting equipment I find, which is probably worse than the trio of picks you make at the start.

Which is probably why I have only beaten it once.

But in all honesty, skills and equipment _do_ seem to matter a bit more than religion or class. Culture seems to make a bit of a difference, though. (Watch this be completely backward)

they all matter but often seem like they don't because for any given build there's going to be like one or two incredibly busted options and the rest will be meh. For example: if you are playing a heavy Armour build the Ice guys and Skeletons blow everyone else out of the water. If you want to be a lightning guy then the bird people and that god that makes you run fast are ultra strong, if you're playing a berserk based build you want the berserk guys and the blood god, etc. Class mostly matters the least but there are some extreme standouts for certain builds in there, like Acolyte for the Exploding Yourself On Purpose build or peltast for any build with a ranged weapon.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Don’t sleep on abdi either, ranged area attacks are very good

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I mean, I guess in my posted, highly unoptimized build a few posts up, my class helped in that starting a fight by butchering my own snake buddies to get a bunch of my blood procs immediately. My culture helped early. My Religion helped in the middle. My offhand weapon and prestige class is what got me the win late.

Could this have been better optimized? Probably across the board, I would wager. But it does feel like everything (except my gloves and pants) contributed at least a little, at one point or another.

I think a big key was being able to do something at all times, regardless of my whole build. I've had a lot of guys that seem invincible, until they run into a guy that gives approximately zero fucks about how they're min-maxed because they don't even bother to interact with that system at all. I did a bunch of damage on step, on attack and on stand still.

So, uh, reading enemy previews feels pretty important too. You can't always avoid that, but if you can that probably makes a huge difference in a run.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

So, uh, reading enemy previews feels pretty important too. You can't always avoid that, but if you can that probably makes a huge difference in a run.

they're super important for temples/etc. that have void enemies in them because that's the difference between a bunch of slow but tanky enemies I can run rings around to get all the good equipment and a bunch of 200 speed enemies who will kill me 10 times over as soon as i press any button

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
On that note, is there a specific wording to what enemy attacks ignore dodge, block, and armor? Because that would be incredibly handy to actually know.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

On that note, is there a specific wording to what enemy attacks ignore dodge, block, and armor? Because that would be incredibly handy to actually know.

they all only affect damage from Attacks and Hits, and not other stuff. The way that this generally works is that if the enemy takes an action to attack you, that action will result in Attacks and those attacks will consist of 1 or more Hits, and all 3 defensive stats work on those just fine. If an enemy is dealing damage to you in some way that didn't require it to do anything, like if you attack it and it retaliates, or if it has like that lightning thing that just shoots lightning at people on step, then that's Not An Attack Or Hit and just ignores all of your defences other than elemental resistances. There's other stuff that can trigger Attacks and Hits other than actually attacking though, and there's other weird stuff like Doom damage is triggered on attacks but I'm pretty sure it, itself, is not an attack and therefore ignores everything. The answer ultimately is that on low cycles you can generally rely on a defensive stat to protect you from everything that isn't retaliatory or based on a status effect, and that the other things that ignore defences will be generally minor and rare enough not to kill you. And on high cycles, the best and only reliable defence is a good offence, especially in the form of just outspeeding everything by several order of magnitude.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm pretty sure I almost literally only, die either 1)before my build has time to take off or 2) Because an enemy gave zero fucks about how high my defense is. So I am not sure if I would call that kind of effect rare. But other than my gripe on rarity, that seems like good advice. Thank you.

So for that sort of thing, retaliation (what the hell? Why isn't this a hit?!?), I pretty much have to rely on resistances or my own damage which somehow isn't a "hit". And for stacked status effects (there are many), I have to either immune it or somehow contrive to not be attacked at all.

Is this about right?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Because an enemy gave zero fucks about how high my defense is

Yeah what you are probably running into here is the fact that Armour and Block both have a flat 10% chance to fail on any hit(and dodge, as expected, also sometimes fails to beat enemy accuracy), regardless of source or what's going on, in addition to the fact that Armour is inherently scaled down for any non-physical damage sources based on your elemental resistance, to a default of 25% of normal efficacy. That is separate from the kinds of thing that always ignore armour, block and dodge, which aren't that common.

Many sources of retaliation are hits, but not all. It's the difference between a counterattack and like, acid skin that just deals some damage to you whenever you hit it. As far as surviving that: there aren't that many sources of retaliation which don't count as hits and are big enough to matter, the few bad ones seem to mostly exist as a way to punish you for stacking like 10 levels of pugilism with no healing, and the way to deal with it generally is to have some kind of heal on attack which you have several options for.

Status effects are a huge loving problem, always, and there's like no good way of dealing with them that I have found other than just not letting them actually trigger. You can get immunity for a couple through skills and equipment but for the most part you just either have to prevent them stacking to the point where they matter, or prevent them from triggering if they're stacked too high. You also have to keep in mind that many status effects also kill your defensive stats, like how Corrosion, in addition to making you take loads of damage, also reduces your armour and block by like 10 per stack, so often even the ones that don't actively kill you when you get hit will have tanked your defences to the point where they might as well. They're manageable on low cycles, especially if you have good Willpower(which, if you didn't know, gives a percent chance to purge all stacks of a status effect every game turn) but on high cycles you will punch an enemy and it will apply literally thousands of stacks of something to you and waiting for the next turn tick to hope they go away isn't a viable fix.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Obviously not workable for most builds, but there's a chest slot equip that triggers on-turn effects when you stand still. Presumably that includes purging debuffs.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Obviously not workable for most builds, but there's a chest slot equip that triggers on-turn effects when you stand still. Presumably that includes purging debuffs.

It also comes with a whole bunch of downsides so its not something you would ever want to use outside of a dedicated stand still/on turn build

if you are on that build tho, hoo boy

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

it does(although i thought it was the Kairos Skirt), and so does Geistform and that one prestige class, but those are only viable on stand still builds. And basically requires you to play an Ice guy because you're gonna have to stack willpower to actually get purges and you want to actually get the damage bonus from it despite having Inflexibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ok, so Storm Knights are just better than anything in their depth in Achra, and so are the eyeball guys and the spiky (but not the most spikey) cosmic horrors. None, and I mean none so busted as the eyeball guys.

Are there any other "Lol, gently caress you and your build for trying" assholes to watch out for?

I'm just fuming. I did the entirety of the void without taking damage and could heal hundreds of damage on an attack if I did take any. Got to the last boss, and he had about a trillion eyeball guys as an entourage. I got instantly killed. Thousands of armor and block and dodge, just erased.

I want to like this game, but I loving cannot stand the enemy design opacity.