Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The very first cable boxes, Jerrold I think was the brand- had these little trimmer potentiometers inside that, when you turned them the other way, it would unlock the channel- there wasn’t even a tamper sticker or anything, you removed 4 screws, turned the pots, bingo! Free pay stations! This was back in ‘78 I think.

I don’t think I’d ever seen my stepdad look so proud of me as the day I got us free HBO, Showtime, TMC and Cinemax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Escape From Noise posted:

I did NOOOOOT AOL search the boobies! I did NOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Oh hi, mom

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Cowslips Warren posted:

When we were kids, my brother went up in the attic because we had some boxes of toys put away, and wanted them for whatever reason. Well, he found Dad's stash of Playboys. And being the smart kid he was, he waited until our parents were gone to go up and grab some. But he realized having magazines in his room would be proof he took them, so instead he cut out the boobs from each page and kept those small bits of paper instead. Because moths would totally eat just that part of the magazines.

Imagining a ransom note made entirely of cut out titty pictures.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Stink Billyums posted:

the village people didn't make a song about the coast guard

"In the Coast Guard, you can sail the coastal shores
In the Coast Guard, you can rescue wayward boats
In the Coast Guard, you can intercept cocaine
In the Coast Guard, you can work through hurricanes!"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I was in jail (a short stay like ten years ago) I briefly worked in the library. Inmates could check out a magazine by giving me their ID, then they get it back when they return the magazine. Well this one loving creep was pinching all the crotches out of every woman. By which I mean, every single woman, there was a torn hole where her crotch was. Every loving one

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

BastardAus posted:

I just put 'boobs' into the DuckDuckGoose search and 80% of the results were pretty horrifying
Don't search boobs unless you like crazy misshapen oversized balloons attached to some poor woman

No no no, DuckDuckGoose is a fantastic search engine as long as you want chaos results instead of whatever you were actually searching for.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Credit card statements show Trump special prosecutor appointed by Georgia DA Fani Willis bought her plane tickets
A Fulton County commissioner says he is now pursuing an investigation into Willis over allegations that she had an improper relationship with prosecutor Nathan Wade.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/credit-card-statements-show-trump-special-prosecutor-appointed-georgia-rcna134791

Did Fani Willis seriously gently caress up the Trump RICO case over $1400 in plane tickets?! :cripes:

Even if the romantic relationship stuff is bunk, there’s a lot here that stinks.

You're not going to get absolved of a crime just because your prosecutor potentially committed a crime as well. If the prosecutor is unfit to take the case to trial, then it just gets handed over to another prosecutor. For this gambit to work, they'd have to demonstrate that they're only being charged with a crime because the DA's office is corrupt, but I think the evidence against them is rather more robust than that. You can get the prosecutor thrown off the case, you might even be able to get the current case dismissed, but I don't think that would be enough to prevent the case from being litigated at all by a different prosecutor.

And I'm not sure there's anything illegal that's taken place here anyway, even assuming the allegations are accurate. It's bullshit that this kind of nepotism can go on, and it should rightly lead us to the conclusion that the world is run by self-serving assholes on behalf of self-serving assholes, but I don't think there are any laws about having a relationship with someone you work with, or giving a plum job to someone you're in a relationship with (even if there should be) so I'm not sure why this should have any legal bearing on this case. I think propriety demands they step down if the allegations are true, but I don't think there's any world in which it means that the case might get thrown out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Blurred posted:

You're not going to get absolved of a crime just because your prosecutor potentially committed a crime as well. If the prosecutor is unfit to take the case to trial, then it just gets handed over to another prosecutor. For this gambit to work, they'd have to demonstrate that they're only being charged with a crime because the DA's office is corrupt, but I think the evidence against them is rather more robust than that. You can get the prosecutor thrown off the case, you might even be able to get the current case dismissed, but I don't think that would be enough to prevent the case from being litigated at all by a different prosecutor.

And I'm not sure there's anything illegal that's taken place here anyway, even assuming the allegations are accurate. It's bullshit that this kind of nepotism can go on, and it should rightly lead us to the conclusion that the world is run by self-serving assholes on behalf of self-serving assholes, but I don't think there are any laws about having a relationship with someone you work with, or giving a plum job to someone you're in a relationship with (even if there should be) so I'm not sure why this should have any legal bearing on this case. I think propriety demands they step down if the allegations are true, but I don't think there's any world in which it means that the case might get thrown out.

yeah the bearing on the current case is definitely the thing that needs to be considered. i'm not sure what sort of world people think we're living in where habba can provably and objectively break every ethical code known to lawyerkind and be permitted to continue arguing cases while those complaints work their way through the system, but willis is apparently going to be swiftly removed and the RICO case scuttled because she dated a co-worker.

the primary threat to willis is unchanged from a month ago; that georgia politicians will ratfuck her and remove her for some bullshit political reason.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Crazyweasel posted:

I think it’s time to realize the reason why all of this happens, like enabling a fascist repeatedly for years, is partially because the incompetence throughout government, in all forms, is staggering.

It’s even more funny/depressing because they literally have Trump on tape trying to illegally pressure the Georgia Secretary of State to “find more votes” or suffer vague legal consequences. They have the head honcho dead to rights and all that is going to essentially disappear because some idiot thought this was a good opportunity to divert some dollars to their gently caress-buddy.

Maybe it’s time we do start criminalizing stupidity. At the very least, we should have a special forces unit of guys armed with sacks of oranges that show up at these peoples’ houses or places of work and beat them with them, all the while yelling “you loving moron, you stupid piece of poo poo” until the message is driven home.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Almost Smart posted:

It’s even more funny/depressing because they literally have Trump on tape trying to illegally pressure the Georgia Secretary of State to “find more votes” or suffer vague legal consequences. They have the head honcho dead to rights and all that is going to essentially disappear because some idiot thought this was a good opportunity to divert some dollars to their gently caress-buddy.

Maybe it’s time we do start criminalizing stupidity. At the very least, we should have a special forces unit of guys armed with sacks of oranges that show up at these peoples’ houses or places of work and beat them with them, all the while yelling “you loving moron, you stupid piece of poo poo” until the message is driven home.

How do you figure? The phone call was actually perfect

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blurred posted:

This would be a pretty clear violation of

quote:

Officers and employees shall avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest. An appearance of a conflict of interest exists when a reasonable person would conclude from the surrounding circumstances that the ability of the officer or employee to protect the public interest or impartially perform a public duty is compromised by financial or personal interests in the matter or transaction. The appearance of a conflict of interest can exist even in the absence of an actual conflict of interest, which exists whenever the officer or employee knows or should know that he or she has an interest that may be affected by his or her official acts or actions.

No officer or employee shall by his or her conduct give reasonable basis for the impression that any person can improperly influence him or her, or unduly enjoy his or her favor, in the performance of any official acts or actions.

The concern from internet lawyers seem to be that if Wade and Willis are removed from the case, it could be assigned to some chuds or just a team not experienced with RICO cases and they'd blow it either deliberately or through incompetence.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

credburn posted:

When I was in jail (a short stay like ten years ago) I briefly worked in the library. Inmates could check out a magazine by giving me their ID, then they get it back when they return the magazine. Well this one loving creep was pinching all the crotches out of every woman. By which I mean, every single woman, there was a torn hole where her crotch was. Every loving one

U think he like hosed the holes in the paper or whatever?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I had forgotten how long people have been making fun of Trump for being unable to stop lying about absolutely anything and everything

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

mobby_6kl posted:

The concern from internet lawyers seem to be that if Wade and Willis are removed from the case, it could be assigned to some chuds or just a team not experienced with RICO cases and they'd blow it either deliberately or through incompetence.

Makes sense, and concerning for sure. But maybe we can take some solace from what I just read in the NYT report on the case which suggests that Wade himself is a Republican (or Republican adjacent):

quote:

For years, Mr. Wade was a regular at county Republican breakfast meetings, and he served for a time as a delegate to the county convention, said Jason Shepherd, who chaired the Cobb County Republican Party at the time.

Mr. Shepherd said he once helped distribute yard signs for Mr. Wade during one of his numerous failed bids to be elected to a higher judgeship, and called him “charismatic,” “energetic” and “more on the Republican side on law enforcement issues.”

And that he has no experience in this field either:

quote:

Mr. Wade’s publicly available record as a lawyer shows scant evidence that he prosecuted major criminal cases, with no evidence that he has handled a major political corruption case or one involving the state’s complicated racketeering statute, known as RICO, under which all of the defendants in the Trump case have been charged.

“The realm of attorneys who handle Georgia RICO cases is a small one, and he is not someone who was in that realm before the Trump case,” said Chris Timmons, an Atlanta trial lawyer who handled white-collar cases for more than 15 years as a prosecutor.

Could it be for the best? Dare I place faith in the American justice system to actually do what is just???

EDIT: No, perhaps I daren't. vvvv

Blurred fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 20, 2024

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

It sounds like it would be a huge mess. The case she was disqualified from in 2022 is still waiting to be reassigned.

quote:

The case is unlikely to be dismissed outright even if the allegations are proven true. But that could result in the disqualification of Willis, which, under Georgia caselaw, would necessitate the disqualification of the entire Fulton county district attorney’s office, as well.

Should McAfee ultimately decide to disqualify Fulton county, the Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia would be tasked with deciding where the case would be transferred to. It could pursue the case itself, or give it to another district attorney’s office, which could choose to drop the charges.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/18/fani-willis-misconduct-hearing-nathan-wade-relationship-trump-georgia

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

It sounds like it would be a huge mess. The case she was disqualified from in 2022 is still waiting to be reassigned.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/18/fani-willis-misconduct-hearing-nathan-wade-relationship-trump-georgia

What infuriates me is that you have to go into this knowing they are going to do EVERYTHING they can to disqualify and delay. EVERYTHING has to be done by the book to avoid that. I'm a loving legal layperson, I don't have a law degree, I've worked with but not for lawyers, but it doesn't take a legal genius to know how this works because it applies to almost every job across the board. If someone wants to gently caress you, make sure you leave no available opportunities for that to happen. These people worked their way up that food chain. They should know better.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Fani Willis should be sentenced to life in a prison cell with Trump for being such a dumbass. She can inhale his farts everyday until he croaks.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

BrideOfUglycat posted:

What infuriates me is that you have to go into this knowing they are going to do EVERYTHING they can to disqualify and delay. EVERYTHING has to be done by the book to avoid that. I'm a loving legal layperson, I don't have a law degree, I've worked with but not for lawyers, but it doesn't take a legal genius to know how this works because it applies to almost every job across the board. If someone wants to gently caress you, make sure you leave no available opportunities for that to happen. These people worked their way up that food chain. They should know better.

I work as a low-level corporate drone and I’d be fired for doing whatever the equivalent of this is. Seriously, we have to do yearly computer trainings on not having inappropriate relationships with or taking gifts from vendors/contractors even though my job has zero contact with either.

It’s a level of fecklessness, incompetence, and corruption that is just astounding, especially considering the stakes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blurred posted:

You're not going to get absolved of a crime just because your prosecutor potentially committed a crime as well. If the prosecutor is unfit to take the case to trial, then it just gets handed over to another prosecutor.

In Georgia what do you think the odds are that the next person in line to run the Trump trial is someone interested in actually prosecuting Trump and not someone who will drop it or phone it in.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
No matter how much dirt a scumbag lawyer can dig up on a prosecutor, Donald Trump is still a twice-impeached insurrectionist leading Presidential race loser rapist with 91 indictments who still tried to strong arm Georgia's top people into throwing the election to him in a manner even more despicable and outright criminal than Jeb! did for his brother in Florida with those hanging chits, but yeah.

Corruption exists in American government and politics, and it needs to get the gently caress out.

Georgia really should be ashamed for its part in overthrowing Biden's legitimate democratic win and being used by a scumbag like Trump but the Republican Party is drowning in corruption and a lost cause.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mike, as usual, has the solution.

Wait I thought Mikey solved democracy with his flying wifi detector

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Mike, as usual, has the solution.

Old people who still think that the amount of human error introduced in these situations will be less than machine/computer error in the same scenario drive me nuts. Simply because they're too old and ignorant to understand computers, they don't trust them and want Mabel and Elmer to do the task "without error" instead. Absolutely insane. Have you ever SEEN how flawed humans are?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Catastrophe posted:

Have you ever SEEN how flawed humans are?

Yes, I post here.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

The very first cable boxes, Jerrold I think was the brand- had these little trimmer potentiometers inside that, when you turned them the other way, it would unlock the channel- there wasn’t even a tamper sticker or anything, you removed 4 screws, turned the pots, bingo! Free pay stations! This was back in ‘78 I think.

I don’t think I’d ever seen my stepdad look so proud of me as the day I got us free HBO, Showtime, TMC and Cinemax.

Hell, I'm proud of you. My youth consisted of a lot of scrambled boobs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

Old people who still think that the amount of human error introduced in these situations will be less than machine/computer error in the same scenario drive me nuts. Simply because they're too old and ignorant to understand computers, they don't trust them and want Mabel and Elmer to do the task "without error" instead. Absolutely insane. Have you ever SEEN how flawed humans are?

Mabel and Elmer in all-white rural smalltown are also absolutely going to cheat while everyone around them nods along.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. America is boned because of boning. Fitting, really.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
So reality has set in and we’ve come to terms with the fact that this case is hosed. So we’re actually gonna have to actually beat Donny in an election now right?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

emSparkly posted:

So reality has set in and we’ve come to terms with the fact that this case is hosed. So we’re actually gonna have to actually beat Donny in an election now right?

Oh THATS why they all keep building bunkers.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Don't forget the documents case with Loyal Judge Cannon who is gonna slow walk it into 2034.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

emSparkly posted:

What?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LifeSunDeath posted:

Hell, I'm proud of you. My youth consisted of a lot of scrambled boobs.

That was my lunch yesterday

I mean they called it chicken salad but,

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Catastrophe posted:

and this solution doesn't even solve the problem they made up. if you're stuffing thousands of illegal ballots into the box how does it matter how they're counted?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

emSparkly posted:

The evidence of a crime hasn’t changed. The responsibility of the DOJ is still to follow up on the crime. There’s just some shady poo poo going on by people involved with the process, but yeah being diligent and keeping Trump away from the White House and Republicans away from any levers of power is still largely the responsibility of the voters. That’s never changed.

Trump’s co-defendant’s lawyer dug up the dirt on this inappropriate relationship, don’t get distracted.

That’s an act of sheer and utter desperation from a Party that will do anything except be accountable, for a guy that paid David Pecker money to kill a Stormy Daniels-like story that Michael Cohen went to jail for.

Because of a crime Trump committed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

emSparkly posted:

jesus, doomerflood started early this weekend

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Catastrophe posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Trump’s co-defendant’s lawyer dug up the dirt on this inappropriate relationship, don’t get distracted.

That’s an act of sheer and utter desperation from a Party that will do anything except be accountable, for a guy that paid David Pecker money to kill a Stormy Daniels-like story that Michael Cohen went to jail for.

Because of a crime Trump committed.

Party of Law And Order: Let’s focus on this relatively minor issue to get Our Guy off the hook for the massive crimes he and a bunch of others clearly committed.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Coolguye posted:

jesus, doomerflood started early this weekend

It’s not doomer to say Fani Willis hosed the case up to the point where the best case scenario is the trial picks up in, like, two years.

When you’re charging a former president with RICO, you should know better than to gently caress around. I’m not a lawyer. Most of the people ITT are not lawyers. She’s a freaking District Attorney. Why do we know this and she doesn’t?!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Credit card statements show Trump special prosecutor appointed by Georgia DA Fani Willis bought her plane tickets
A Fulton County commissioner says he is now pursuing an investigation into Willis over allegations that she had an improper relationship with prosecutor Nathan Wade.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/credit-card-statements-show-trump-special-prosecutor-appointed-georgia-rcna134791

Did Fani Willis seriously gently caress up the Trump RICO case over $1400 in plane tickets?! :cripes:

Even if the romantic relationship stuff is bunk, there’s a lot here that stinks.

SO STUPID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i also agree that trump's other fraud trial should be ended because the prosecutor took her shoes off and drank starbucks in court. very disrespectful, total exoneration!