Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If starfield had the unintentional jank comedy like the guy who tells you lore and how it is important for him to xyz because he's the only one who can and then goes "farewell" and immediately gets killed by a floor trap flattening him then the window appears saying your quest cannot be completed due to his death and then a guard turns up to go "you appear ill, do you require medical assistance" and also immediately gets killed by said floor trap, then maybe the game would be salvageable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sTZgCCmQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bacon is a treasure for collecting Gamebryo jank moments and thr comedic timing is impeccable.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

It's very funny how even the biggest AAA devs have run into the wall of thinking their epic space OW game needs to have dozens upon dozens of explorable planets, leaving it to procgen when that isn't feasible to actually design, then realizing too late that oh, this sucks rear end.

The most interesting thing out of Starfield will be whenever someone who's not at the company anymore gives a postmortem about how across 10 years they managed to recreate the exact issue that Mass Effect Andromeda had except they didn't say "wait, poo poo, in a fully procgen universe full of empty planets with no reason to explore them, undirected exploration isn't actually fun" and barrelled forward on it instead

euroshopper posted:

as someone who has not played starfield i assumed most terminally online criticism of the game was just bald british men screaming about loving PRONOUNS

starfield is "fun" but falls into that space (ha ha) where the more you play it the more apparent the flaws are, and it's a bethesda game with no defined end so you don't finish it so much as hit a point where the fun wears off but instead of remembering the fun you had, you just remember all the systemic issues that were getting in the way of the fun you wanted to have with it

it's really quite impressive

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Whirling posted:

This is, somehow, completely optional; the real conclusion to Act 1 is you leveling up enough through side quests that don't really have all that much to do with your problems to avoid getting your rear end kicked by ghosts in a flat courtyard and a flat throne room, go downstairs into a floor that's about seven rooms total, squash some bugs, and then beat up an old man squatting in a ruin who has magical dementia. BG3's act one always sends you towards people that have personally antagonized you in some way or have some sort of clue as to what's up with the tadpole situation, and everything of consequence is in an amazingly laid out area with some many approaches to get through it. I get that Pillars of Eternity was made really really fast because everyone wanted to save the company before they went under, but its so rough to play.

this reminds me of how much of a boring waste of time all the keep management stuff was... im enjoying deadfire but the ship management and especially the ship combat are only marginally less of a black hole of quality lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/ViewtifulPes/status/1748461560257773999?t=qh3zB6012_PycAkyq5NDqw&s=19

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sydin posted:

Starfield is just what if Fallout but all the content was procedurally generated radiant content and also we added 800% more loading screens.

It's the oddest thing. They decided to make a game based entirely on the concept of not having a hand-crafted open world populated with human-written and designed quests, which is the one thing people come to Bethesda games for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

Sometimes I wonder if it's some kind of coping mechanism. Everything gets boiled down to easy, singular causes/people. Because if the problem is easy and manageable the solution also is, right?

We just need to remove this one guy/cause from the equation and everything will be well, and I won't have to face the fact that my life and those of other are affected by forces which are completely out of my individual ability to control. Of course it never works like that so eventually they end up having to invent whole conspiracies to explain why their easy, manageable solution can't bring about the paradise they feel they are owed.

Treating it like it's an action movie or video game for the most part. 'All we have to do is beat Sauron/Syndrome/The aliens/the zombies/the machines/Sephiroth/Team Rocket, Aqua, Plasma, etc and that'll be the end of it. We've beat the villain and the day is saved.' We don't have to eliminate any other sycophants or allies of theirs, the boss has been thrown off the Millenium Tower to his death and we're free to go home to our significant others/ walk into the sunset living happily forever after.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Sorry for the :godwin: but it's appropriate: "we need to go back in time to kill hitler because then fascism, world war, oppression of minorities and antisemitism would stop being issues." is the extent of most peoples perspective on the matter, so imagine that same mindset transferred to something as comparatively unimportant as video games.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

the HEE-YUH-HAAAAA scream from that clip will stay with me for the rest of my life

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Another farm dog gets the transformation of a lifetime :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTtiN9473s

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A lot of the problems starfield has are the same problems any elder scrolls or bethesda fallout has, but the game design exacerbates it/strips it bare and exposes it. The NG+ stuff is pretty cool though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schurik posted:

Sorry for the :godwin: but it's appropriate: "we need to go back in time to kill hitler because then fascism, world war, oppression of minorities and antisemitism would stop being issues." is the extent of most peoples perspective on the matter, so imagine that same mindset transferred to something as comparatively unimportant as video games.

That's the way to explain it! Every problem works on Back to the Future rules! If the 'wrong person' doesn't get 'an undeserved amount of power' through the fault 'absolutely no one or any pre-built systems that we live in' then life is a paradise. If not, then Skynet becomes real.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/ranmasaotome96/status/1748342590565445663

Saw this tweet and thought the thread would like it, so I decided to share.

One of the replies linked this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IMu7gjTSA

I just watched the last section ('Doug Now', which start around the 39 minute mark), but I thought their take on Doug was interesting.

i know he made some bad movies, and his character/skits can be pretty annoying, but aside from that, did he do anything more worthy of contempt from people?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr Interweb posted:

i know he made some bad movies, and his character/skits can be pretty annoying, but aside from that, did he do anything more worthy of contempt from people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMwGNRWBh9A

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the movies also involved overworking the other members of his site a ton, and a lot of abuse went on behind the scenes of the site, including some sexual harassment. he wasnt directly involved but it seems like a case where he was not prepared at all to run an actual business and bad actors took advantage in a number of ways while he made no attempts to make sure that sort of thing didnt happen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know youre good at improv when 'i dont know where i was going with that' is your fifth sentence

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr Interweb posted:

https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y?si=zEE-fuL4uBmHDsYr

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dan olsen made this tho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

doug allowed some furry CG animator to interrupt his bad The Wall parody with some completely incomprehensible OC poo poo for several minutes, and for that, he has my

i don't know, i wouldn't say respect

maybe just acknowledgement

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
horny overdeveloped rat thing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
alien big titty goth girlfriend

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Found the one I was describing lol https://twitter.com/peachlybeloved/status/1748539121667100987?t=aChbRSS-kdsssVEO1CZQmQ&s=19

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole Change the Channel thing would probably be a good reason why he wound up terrible in the eyes of many, especially Lupa.

Doug is just annoying, but his brother did horrendous things and let it happen.

A good chunk of content creator drama can best be described as "family members gently caress them over" and others "dumb poo poo opinions" and "got really creepy in private messages"

Anyway, I want to really palette cleanse right now, so luckily Clint is back with some wacky mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_16fE3BhmlI

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Chad Jihad posted:

A lot of the problems starfield has are the same problems any elder scrolls or bethesda fallout has, but the game design exacerbates it/strips it bare and exposes it. The NG+ stuff is pretty cool though

Starfield is mechanically average and storywise less interesting than Fallout 4 and even shallower. Like, there's a quest to find the origin of the horrible "terrormorph" monster things that show up after a while when a planet is colonised and no one's been able to figure out where they come from and you learn that they're a later lifecycle stage of the heat leech worm things that attach themselves to starships and everyone views as a nuisance. Somehow, in hundreds and hundreds of years of space travel in a universe bristling with scientific research stations, literally NO ONE has done any research on the irritating parasitic organisim that is literally everwhere, no one's found anything in common between them and the terrormorphs, it is down to you, Hero Protagonist to discover this. There are enough ways to make the player the hero without having to make literally everyone else in the universe an absolute loving moron.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Among other things, the game suffers from being obsessed with space exploration and classic sci-fi, but in an almost cargo cult sort of way, noticing only the obvious tropes but missing what made them popular. The Bethesda writers have seen concepts like “alien artifacts that do something weird” and “space cowboys reenacting the wild west” in other famous works so they include those in the game expecting players to automatically be wowed, without understanding how those things can be used to tell a good story. It’s like a chef buying a random bunch of high-quality ingredients and just dumping them all into a bowl and stirring them around, expecting the result to be edible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ariong posted:

It's the oddest thing. They decided to make a game based entirely on the concept of not having a hand-crafted open world populated with human-written and designed quests, which is the one thing people come to Bethesda games for.

It was funny watching people play Starfield, get bored with it, and go to play Cyberpunk/Phantom Liberty for the first time and have their entire world rocked.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It brings me no pleasure to report that Durance is a chud

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
New ymfah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xmMaRc0oS0

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ariong posted:

It's not odd every single Bethesda game since Morrowind has tried to do that less and less and rely more and more on automated generated bullshit. The goofy rear end AI in oblivion, Fallout 3's first attempts at radiant quests, Skyrim double downing on radiant quests and stupid bullshit to fill in time wasting, Fallout 4 double downing again and making the crafted main story and sidequests rarer and less involved and focusing on the base building with randomly generated events and quests and now Starfield being 99% instead of F4's 75%.

They don't want to make games, they want to make really lovely skeletons for mechanics and call that that and their success has let them do less work every new game.

At this rate TES 6 is going to be RPG Maker but in their lovely engine.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 20, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Coffin of Andy and Leyley framing device is loving inspired lmao

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Crocobile posted:

I just looked up Digital Circus and the designs remind me a lot of the fan-designs/gajinka people made for Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared.

Though honestly it’s possible GISing “Digital Circus” is also showing me a bunch of tumblr fan-designs. Could just be it attracts a similar crowd. DHMIS is good mind you, I think teens just get really obsessive about stuff that’s kinda creepy or edgy.

People really like Helluva Boss though so maybe I should give it a try. :shrug: Not here to yuck anyone’s yum.

To be fair to it, TADC is so far a 30 minute pilot with an ensemble cast of like.... a half-dozen characters and a mystery box plot, so it's not really surprising that nothing is fleshed out yet. I'm assuming the creator is just sitting there taking notes on all the red string people online were connecting between random points and basing the actual series on that.

The big problem is it's not hard to create a mystery box, but it's a lot harder to actually have a working one that gets opened in a satisfying way for the audience and isn't just thrown aside for a new box. I guess time will tell for TADC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

stillvisions posted:

To be fair to it, TADC is so far a 30 minute pilot with an ensemble cast of like.... a half-dozen characters and a mystery box plot, so it's not really surprising that nothing is fleshed out yet. I'm assuming the creator is just sitting there taking notes on all the red string people online were connecting between random points and basing the actual series on that.

The big problem is it's not hard to create a mystery box, but it's a lot harder to actually have a working one that gets opened in a satisfying way for the audience and isn't just thrown aside for a new box. I guess time will tell for TADC.

it’s ok. even if the plot ends up falling on its face, the horny fandom enthusiasm will sustain it for at least a couple of years, just like homestuck and so many other nerd bait properties before it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not odd every single Bethesda game since Morrowind has tried to do that less and less and rely more and more on automated generated bullshit. The goofy rear end AI in oblivion, Fallout 3's first attempts at radiant quests, Skyrim double downing on radiant quests and stupid bullshit to fill in time wasting, Fallout 4 double downing again and making the crafted main story and sidequests rarer and less involved and focusing on the base building with randomly generated events and quests and now Starfield being 99% instead of F4's 75%.

They don't want to make games, they want to make really lovely skeletons for mechanics and call that that and their success has let them do less work every new game.

At this rate TES 6 is going to be RPG Maker but in their lovely engine.

i mean its always kinda been there, daggerfall had randomly generated dungeons that sometimes were completely broken and impassible lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's being done as a joke all over twitter but people tweeting out all the dumb nonsense from that game really showed that the radiant AI in Oblivion was pretty rad. The examples showing up in those joke tweets were outliers but sometimes nonsense would happen and it'd be pretty cool.

Watching Dragon's Dogma 2's pre-release videos showing up in IGN make it sound like they're trying something similar.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I watched the Emil video:

1. Almost all of the initial hate towards Emil spread around not because of his (frankly kinda poo poo) GDC talk, but because of some 14 year old's reddit post :qq:'ing about it.
2. This creetosis guy seems insufferable.
3. Patrician underpinned his entire eight hour Starfield video on the idea that Bethesda had no design documentation for the game, a conclusion he arrived at because in the GDC talk Emil says (paraphrasing) "After FO3 we stopped using one central design doc because we started to realize that on larger games going through lots of little iterations they're already outdated by the time you've finished updated them." Patrician extrapolated this into "After FO3 Bethesda doesn't use any design documentation AT ALL" and just ignored all the subsequent times other Bethesda devs and even Emil himself talk about existing design documentation, even in sources Patrician puts forward as proof there wasn't any. The cherry on top is that apparently using one central design doc is totally outdated in the AAA space these days and Bethesda are most likely doing what other major studios do and using an internal development wiki.
4. Also Patrician EFAP'd two of KNB's videos, called him a cuck, and then almost word for word lifted KNB's closing words from his Outerlands video for Patrician's own Starfield one, lmao.

The video isn't really interested in engaging with the question of whether Emil is actually a good writer or not - and quite frankly I personally don't think he is - but unsurprisingly Pagliarulo is probably not the one person holding Bethesda back from recapturing their former greatness and the overly performative gamer outrage pointed at him is embarrassing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I tried watching that video, but eh, I think I can just call Emil a dumbass and not fixate on poo poo. Anyone who is genuinely convinced that firing him would fix Bethesda's writing is deluded and buying into some anti-hype inversion of whatever you call the central focus of Chris Avellone on the games he helped write.

There were a lot of other writers and designers who left Bethesda between Morrowind and Oblivion. Todd Howard is the one who persisted. It's his style of writing and quest design that has filtered down into successive games, and which has been trained into successive creative heads until it's embedded into the ethos of the company. It's not something that can be "solved" by cutting the heads off a couple guys, it's a company culture that's calcified.

NakeyJakey's video about Starfield cuts to the core of the design issues, and the related systemic problem of being a small studio expected to pump out big AAA games while plugging away on the same creaky old 90s engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS2emKDlGmE

I'm more worried at this point that Starfield disappointing and Todd wanting to step back as he's getting up in years will lead to Microsoft's vultures circling in, and that's not going to make anything better.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sydin posted:

3. Patrician underpinned his entire eight hour Starfield video on the idea that Bethesda had no design documentation for the game, a conclusion he arrived at because in the GDC talk Emil says (paraphrasing) "After FO3 we stopped using one central design doc because we started to realize that on larger games going through lots of little iterations they're already outdated by the time you've finished updated them." Patrician extrapolated this into "After FO3 Bethesda doesn't use any design documentation AT ALL" and just ignored all the subsequent times other Bethesda devs and even Emil himself talk about existing design documentation, even in sources Patrician puts forward as proof there wasn't any. The cherry on top is that apparently using one central design doc is totally outdated in the AAA space these days and Bethesda are most likely doing what other major studios do and using an internal development wiki.

Not only that: Patrician has somehow extrapolated from that one off comment Emil made about Bethesda having moved away from having a single, centralized design doc after FO3 that not only does Bethsda not use any sort of documentation, but that Emil is entirely, personally responsible for this. The amount of power the collective Youtube angry gamer contingent has ascribed to this one man over everythign Bethesda has made for the past 15 years is staggering

edit: Bethesda could win back much of my respect if they start TESVI on a blank screen, the sound of a cart moving and a familiar voice saying "Hey, you. You're finally awake." Before the main character opens their eyes and reveals it's a completely different game

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 20, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1Oa_uHsLo

pinnochio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tood Makes Generic Slop that gets gamers buying in the millions. Until that changes I doubt Bethesda or him will change anything.