Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Q_res posted:

And aren't most of the guys they've locked into the exact same proven coaches you're saying the Raiders should have gone after? Those same proven coaches also have only been entertaining one team each. So who exactly were the Raiders supposed to pursue instead of Pierce?

I already said. Harbaugh who was reported to be interested in the Raider job Carroll and Vrabel seem like a good place to start to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The Raiders have their Dan Campbell. Now, they need to hire their Brad Holmes. Nail that, find their coordinators of choice, and they can quickly turn the culture around in Vegas.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mcmagic posted:

I already said. Harbaugh who was reported to be interested in the Raider job Carroll and Vrabel seem like a good place to start to me.

Harbaugh hasn't seemed to be entertaining anyone except the Chargers. Carroll isn't in play, as has already been explained to you. And if you think loving up the positive locker room vibes is worth it for Mike loving Vrabel, more power to you...

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Fat Jesus posted:

Maybe firing McDaniel's was enough to get the players saying gently caress yeah lets play sum ball and it wouldn't matter who the interim was
Also did you watch that game they won v the chiefs? lol

Yeah it was a pretty impressive defensive performance by the Raiders keeping Mahomes/Kelce in check, Malcolm Koonce emerging as a solid compliment to Crosby with his 3 sacks and Jack Jones with that absolutely filthy pick 6 staring down Kermit the whole time.

It was also nice to see Zeus break out nearly 150 rushing yards against the vaunted Chiefs defense despite AOC not completing a pass beyond the first quarter.

Thanks for noticing a great effort by the team!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

You seem to be the only person in this thread who thinks Carroll is actually available. He's already taken a senior position with the Seahawks and hasn't interviewed for any vacant positions.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You seem to be the only person in this thread who thinks Carroll is actually available. He's already taken a senior position with the Seahawks and hasn't interviewed for any vacant positions.

Carroll's troubles with the NCAA are long gone by now right? He seems like the type of guy to enjoy doing that for a retirement tour if he still wanted to coach.

But yeah, I think he's just chilling at this point.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Raiders have their Dan Campbell. Now, they need to hire their Brad Holmes. Nail that, find their coordinators of choice, and they can quickly turn the culture around in Vegas.

Does that make Jimmy the Handsome Jared Goff?

Q_res posted:

Harbaugh hasn't seemed to be entertaining anyone except the Chargers. Carroll isn't in play, as has already been explained to you. And if you think loving up the positive locker room vibes is worth it for Mike loving Vrabel, more power to you...

Harbs is headed back to Atlanta for a 2nd time this weekend.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
No, that would be Belicheck.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Q_res posted:

No, that would be Belicheck.

Harbs too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

a neat cape posted:

I can't see Minnesota not bringing back Kirk

He's about to be 36, very expensive, coming off a major injury, and the team has a pretty firmly established ceiling with him. I would rather they roll the dice on a second-tier QB prospect like Penix at 11 than just run it back with Kirk at $40m+/year if I were a Vikings fan.

With Pierce I think it's all going to come down to who he picks for his assistants. Having a culture guy for your head coach certainly can work but you gotta get the playcallers right. That's why I'm not super confident in the Lions staying good once Johnson leaves for another team.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

Harbs too.

It kinda feels like Atlanta is leaning Belichick and LA is leaning Harbs. Can't blame the coaches for taking more interviews and leveraging the teams.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

It kinda feels like Atlanta is leaning Belichick and LA is leaning Harbs. Can't blame the coaches for taking more interviews and leveraging the teams.

Yeah, who knows the real reasons. The whole hiring process is a little strange sometimes, but I agree it seems like billy 5 aces to Atlanta and Harbs to LA.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Atlanta has been patriots way lite for over a decade now. Dimitroff was from the patriots as well

Its bills job if he wants it.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

1 out of those 3 isn't completely stupid as a supposed superior coaching candidate, good work

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I agree that Carroll wants to coach again, it probably just doesn't happen this year because of where things are in the hiring cycle. The Seahawks don't appear locked into anyone yet, they're keeping things quiet. The most smoke right now is actually with Vrabel, not Quinn - most rumors about the latter being the favorite died with the Cowboys' season. But as someone said, some of the top names are still in the playoffs and it's anyone's guess who they hire.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Seahawks should hire Dan Quinn so Shanahan can keep shoving his defense in a locker twice a year

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
how come theres never any talk about any of the people from the al groh coaching tree being favorites for vacancies?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I'm skeptical Pierce and Mayo will be good head coaches but it would be great if they worked out and NFL teams started hiring based more on vibes and not just hiring giant prick coordinators who happened to work with a really talented roster for a few years and became hotshots.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'm skeptical Pierce and Mayo will be good head coaches but it would be great if they worked out and NFL teams started hiring based more on vibes and not just hiring giant prick coordinators who happened to work with a really talented roster for a few years and became hotshots.

what if the team wants giant prick vibes?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Incitatus posted:

Atlanta has interviewed Bellichek multiple times.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Incitatus posted:

there was some story about mayo carrying around a baseball bat so the patriots are already into that

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Parallax posted:

there was some story about mayo carrying around a baseball bat so the patriots are already into that

Mayo knows he is coaching a Football team, right?

That is an unusually aggressive object to carry around.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Can’t make mayo without breaking some eggs.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/jjones9/status/1748706592827027893?s=12&t=x5-NzdOmzxVdg9621hs9Tw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If he's that hot of a candidate you'd think he could tell teams to wait until after he's done with his playoff run.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If you don't like the Antonio pierce hire, I don't think you understand what football is.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
The Raiders are a team that's badly needed a culture shift for decades, and Pierce came in and shifted it almost overnight. There's no way in which he can be considered a bad hire.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Asproigerosis posted:

If you don't like the Antonio pierce hire, I don't think you understand what football is.

It's the more mainstream cousin to professional wrestling, with the scripts being tweaked throughout the year according to the betting odds, and how popular key players have become for merchandising.

Everyone here understands what football is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Asproigerosis posted:

this is a silly statement. the dude is a complete unknown. no one really has any idea if it's a good hire or not..

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

If he's that hot of a candidate you'd think he could tell teams to wait until after he's done with his playoff run.

This literally never happens.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

this is a silly statement. the dude is a complete unknown. no one really has any idea if it's a good hire or not..
You realize he coached the Raiders for more than half the season this season, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You realize he coached the Raiders for more than half the season this season, right?

But in mcmagic's world, the Raiders only beat bad teams, so Pierce is still an unknown quantity. Or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Timby posted:

But in mcmagic's world, the Raiders only beat bad teams, so Pierce is still an unknown quantity. Or something.
Yeah I dont know why I responded, he is speaking in absolutes and his mind is obviously already made up despite a number of people trying to get him to realize that Pierce turned a joke team with very little talent on D to a top 10 defense and won more games than he lost with a rookie QB and poo poo OL against some quality opponents.

edit: rookie 4th round QB who isnt very good

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 20, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

In meaningless games after the season was alreadly over like I said a billion times.

Yeah I dont know why I responded, he is speaking in absolutes and his mind is obviously already made up despite a number of people trying to get him to realize that Pierce turned a joke team with very little talent on D to a top 10 defense and won more games than he lost with a rookie QB and poo poo OL against some quality opponents.

What's the top 10 defense thing? Over the second half of the seasoon where they played the Jets and the Vikings and the Chargers? The idea that people are buying into that strikes me as silly.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I think not every team should try to build a team around an offensive coach. Because you will run out of good ones. The Raiders stopped chasing a splashy offensive assistant and went with someone who

A. Has the respect of the locker room which is NOT nothing
B. Has shown a shocking lack of ego and willingness to lean on mentors and his staff
C. Is loving cool.

Is he going to be a sure fire top level coach? No. Is he going to be Josh McDaniels, Urban Meyer, Kliff Kingsbury, Frank Reich, or Arthur Smith? Almost certainly not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I still want Johnson in Atlanta with Justin Fields but that's probably out of contention now. Commanders could be a decent fit, especially if ownership can stay patient.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mcmagic posted:

In meaningless games after the season was alreadly over like I said a billion times.

What's the top 10 defense thing? Over the second half of the seasoon where they played the Jets and the Vikings and the Chargers? The idea that people are buying into that strikes me as silly.

Outside of the Chargers game none of the teams they played gave up. This isn’t the NBA. Unless things have absolutely gone to poo poo everyone is still trying to win and get game tape their agents can show to teams so they can get one more contract.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Coaching for half a season does not make him a known thing don’t be ridiculous. That’s just makes him a nice story, nothing more

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Coaching for half a season does not make him a known thing don’t be ridiculous. That’s just makes him a nice story, nothing more

But it doesn't make him a complete unknown, either! Both things can be true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Timby posted:

But it doesn't make him a complete unknown, either! Both things can be true!

In that he has technically coached a football game and we know he did that? I guess?