Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just started watching Killers of the Flower Moon and there's Native American dialogue and I have to choose between two sets of English subtitles:
One where the non-English lines are translated and subtitled but the English spoken bits aren't subtitled, or one where all the English spoken bits are subtitled but not the foreign parts, just [speaks Okage].

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? gently caress deaf people, they have to choose which parts they want to understand, I guess?

Time to hunt down some proper subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

I just started watching Killers of the Flower Moon and there's Native American dialogue and I have to choose between two sets of English subtitles:
One where the non-English lines are translated and subtitled but the English spoken bits aren't subtitled, or one where all the English spoken bits are subtitled but not the foreign parts, just [speaks Okage].

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? gently caress deaf people, they have to choose which parts they want to understand, I guess?

Time to hunt down some proper subs.

Oh. Huh. I thought that was a deliberate stylistic choice, since actual Osage conversations do get translated in the full subtitles.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ach

ich versuche den john mcclain zu starben, aber mein obrerschenkel macht klatscht und mcclain ist offenbarlich in die ventilationssytem und will mich finden

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I used to hate subtitles but now as long as they're done right, they're great. Two kids I used to nanny for were Japanese-Americans and they loved all kinds of anime (kid appropriate) and they had never seen Unico, and were happy as gently caress when I brought it over. They were amazed it had Japanese dub on it, so we played that version while I read the English subtitles; about halfway through they remembered I didn't speak Japanese and didn't realize I had been reading and following along.

I remember a dude who didn't speak Spanish, who sat through Family Guy on the Spanish channel, for something like 10 minutes because he thought it was a cutaway joke. "drat man this is really going on a while, usually the cutaways are like 30 seconds."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Not in the version I got. Things like the ceremony in the beginning were translated in one (but then you didn't get the subs for the English bits) but not the other.
The subs I found that are good are like you say, not everything is translated because not everything is intended to be, but all the important stuff that was missing from the other subs is there. While finding these subs I saw a lot of comments complaining about it, so it's not just me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching John Wick on Netflix a couple weeks ago and for some reason they removed the movie's subtitles when characters were not speaking English.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It happens a lot more that you'd think considering how big of an industry it is, and how little subtitling costs comparatively speaking.

Another can of worms is how foreign languages are handled period. Like for a lot of movies the audience not understanding what is said is intentional, which leads to weird situations like important plot points being spoiled by the movie itself for anyone who happens to understand said language.

Also I've definitely complained about this before but I wish there was more often an option for English subtitles that doesn't include all the stuff for the hearing impaired. Just the dialogue without all the [door creaks] and poo poo. Especially nowadays where the sound mixing can be all over the place.

I'm not deaf or hard of hearing but English isn't my first language, I often have to keep the sound down and for my ADHD brain it's easier to follow conversations when I can read along.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I was watching John Wick on Netflix a couple weeks ago and for some reason they removed the movie's subtitles when characters were not speaking English.

I watched a rip of John Wick 3 once where everything was in English but all the stylized words that come on screen when someone speaks another language were in Italian.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The part where the English speaking people showed up in Squid Game was so weird. I assume it was a translation thing?

I downloaded a pirated copy of some movie once and it was in one language, there were subtitles in a different language, and speaking over the movie was a man in a third language.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I mean, yea the ps2 quality CGI was rear end, but he did assuredly become a giant scorpion dude at the end of the mummy movie.

Oh, sorry if I was ambiguous, there were two actual kings of Upper Egypt who are called "Scorpion" because there's no translation for the scorpion symbol used in their name. Those guys probably did not turn into literal giant scorpions. I don't think the Rock's character was based on them in any way except for his title.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion_I
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion_II

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The subs in John Wick are so fancy, too. Thankfully JW is all over my streaming services and there's other ones that don't cut them out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC part of the reason home release subtitles suck is because they have to be redone due to DVD standardization.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I had Kill Bill vol 2 on last night and had the same thing happen. I was really just paying attention to the fight scenes anyway but the entire chapter where Pai Mei trains The Bride was in un-subed Cantonese.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Dr Christmas posted:

My irrationally irritating moment in The Mummy Returns is the battle between the Medjai suffer literally zero casualties in their giant battle with Anubis’ jackal monster army, in a series that previously loved to show mooks and minor characters getting gruesomely owned. Seriously, not even one background guy falls over.

Aren't their obviously many less Medjai left when they have defeated the first wave of jackal monsters and there's a little scene where they're like 'oh, gently caress' when they come back out of the sand? Or at least when they all dissolve away at the end, I'm sure I remember that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Taeke posted:

It happens a lot more that you'd think considering how big of an industry it is, and how little subtitling costs comparatively speaking.

Drom what I've heard, a lot of companies have been even cheaper and shittier about subtitles recently than they were previously, which is really saying something

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Drom what I've heard, a lot of companies have been even cheaper and shittier about subtitles recently than they were previously, which is really saying something

subtitles have always been .rear end

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Olewithmilk posted:

Aren't their obviously many less Medjai left when they have defeated the first wave of jackal monsters and there's a little scene where they're like 'oh, gently caress' when they come back out of the sand? Or at least when they all dissolve away at the end, I'm sure I remember that.

Maybe, but I am pretty sure you don't see a single one of them actually fall in battle. Of course Mummy Returns is a more family friendly movie than say, Braveheart, but it still feels like a pretty standard thing to show that your side is suffering some losses when the battle is supposedly, like, hard. The Droid/Gungan battle in the Phantom Menace had a similar problem, it felt like literally no Gungans died at all.

edited for movie title

Grendels Dad has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Jan 20, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love these "boomer moments" if not boomer movies. Where the power/Internet goes down and the kids don't understand what rabbit ears are or any references to things that existed before they were born. Oh no, something bad happened, look at all the youth these days pulling out their phones to TikTok or livestream this poo poo instead of helping the person hit by the bus!

All the Internet is down and the kids are only concerned with their gadgets and things, no one knows how to read a map anymore, those drat millennials!

edit: ah peak right here where a grown man starts screaming that without his cell phone and GPS he is useless and he needs help, to a doomsday prepper whose pride is now fed, so he will help the man now, as long as he gets to proclaim other theories about poo poo.

My mom is watching Leave the World Behind, which I don't get because she hates Julia Roberts, and halfway through the movie she admitted it was so loving dumb, but she has to see how it ends.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jan 21, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The part with the Teslas was pretty funny though

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Leave the World Behind is best when it's just Paranoid Maybe Racist Lady and the Intense Daughter. Soon as it stops just being intense and weird it gets bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol that movie literally has Havana Syndrome

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phy posted:

The subs in John Wick are so fancy, too. Thankfully JW is all over my streaming services and there's other ones that don't cut them out.

My Very Rationally Irritating Movie Moment is that Day Watch was never released to DVD with the integrated subtitles.

For those who don't know: for international release, Fox Searchlight put up a bit of cash to have CGI subtitles added to Timur Bekhmambetov's Watch movies. These included things like words being written on the surface of water and swirling away with the ripples. They look absolutely great, and my favourite use of them was in Day Watch where Alina upbraids Gennady Saushkin. After she leaves he throws a raw hunk of meat at the wall (he works as a butcher) while yelling "Bitch!", and the subtitle is created from a blood spatter on the wall where the meat struck.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Don't like seeing localized text on screen when characters are texting each other on the phone.

Totally ruined my immersion in Turning Red

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My mind was actually kinda blown when years ago I watched Finding Dory (dubbed) with the kids and all the signs and stuff at the aquarium park were changed to Dutch. Like huh, yeah, makes sense they can do that easily with animated movies now, cool.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a lil annoyed at all these isekai anime that are being released. 90% of em are some guy or girl gets sucked into some random video game's world and they know everything about it, but so far every one I've watched has yet to have some poor fucker get yoinked into some bethesda-esque nightmare of bugs and random poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm getting a lil annoyed at all these isekai anime that are being released. 90% of em are some guy or girl gets sucked into some random video game's world and they know everything about it, but so far every one I've watched has yet to have some poor fucker get yoinked into some bethesda-esque nightmare of bugs and random poo poo.

Digimon already did it first.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Digimon already did it first.

lol Digimon. Right. As if Reboot didn’t exist

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I say, this Creator movie is fun but it feels like it should wrap up pretty soo... what the gently caress, how does this go on for another hour?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol Digimon. Right. As if Reboot didn’t exist

Reboot isn't an isekai though, the characters all live in the computer already, Digimon literally has kids sucked into a weird digital world full of random poo poo that doesn't make sense, and it's outright said at one point the weirdness is probably because of broken and missing data.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
We tried to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once with subtitles on amazon and the parts with Chinese dialogue actually had the hardcoded subs obscured by [SPEAKING CHINESE], which was absolutely :discourse:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When it comes to kids being sucked into video games, I think you guys are forgetting the best when it comes to five heads, Code Lyoko.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

My Very Rationally Irritating Movie Moment is that Day Watch was never released to DVD with the integrated subtitles.

For those who don't know: for international release, Fox Searchlight put up a bit of cash to have CGI subtitles added to Timur Bekhmambetov's Watch movies. These included things like words being written on the surface of water and swirling away with the ripples. They look absolutely great, and my favourite use of them was in Day Watch where Alina upbraids Gennady Saushkin. After she leaves he throws a raw hunk of meat at the wall (he works as a butcher) while yelling "Bitch!", and the subtitle is created from a blood spatter on the wall where the meat struck.

God Night/Day Watch’s subtitles were so good. I really hoped that was going to turn into a trend of fun subs and then, well, subtitles continued as they do.

As a child of the 90s that was in to anime I learned real early to just roll with it. Typos and weird sentence structure are just gonna happen and whoops this bootleg fansub you got at the flea market has several episodes whose subs are in Portuguese, hope context clues are enough to get by!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first DVD I ever watched was a low quality pirated copy X-Men with hardcoded Chinese subtitles bought at a flea market. Made me question what the fuzz about this new format was because I thought that was just how DVDs were.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Taeke posted:

My mind was actually kinda blown when years ago I watched Finding Dory (dubbed) with the kids and all the signs and stuff at the aquarium park were changed to Dutch. Like huh, yeah, makes sense they can do that easily with animated movies now, cool.

Here in Korea, they've been localizing on-screen text like that for years - not just in animated movies, but TV shows, live-action stuff, etc. Even the live-action localized text and signs often look convincing, or at least not out of place or distracting.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Dammit, people, stop cauterizing wounds that aren't bleeding. It doesn't prevent infection, it makes infection more likely. There's no point to it.

And there are usually way better ways to stop bleeding, too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pilchenstein posted:

We tried to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once with subtitles on amazon and the parts with Chinese dialogue actually had the hardcoded subs obscured by [SPEAKING CHINESE], which was absolutely :discourse:

Prime Video is absolutely poo poo for subtitles. Saw multiple movies on it with extended stretches of foreign languages that are either completely unsubbed or just [SPEAKING FOREIGN LANGUAGE] on the bottom of the screen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've been rewatching House as background noise during work. It's usually fun and comfy enough, but one of the episodes in the fifth season struck me as intensely hosed up.

In short, the plot boils down to: Teenage girl who was bullied a lot is brought in, lots of speculation and false diagnoses, in the end it turns out she'd actually secretly gotten pregnant and her condition was caused by her having given birth a few weeks before. She'd given birth in an abandoned building, thought the child was stillborn, and left her there for dead. Cuddy goes to recover the newborn's body, but it turns out it was alive after all and a couple of squatters had been taking care of it.

Now, usually in a House episode this would be the turning point where somebody has a sudden brainwave and the seemingly fatal condition is curable after all. But nope, not this time. The teenager still has fatal irreparable organ damage. But the narrative basically breezes past that, suddenly the focus is entirely on how great it is that the newborn is alright and that Cuddy will get to adopt her. The teenager doesn't even get an onscreen sendoff, they just mention offhandedly that her transplant application was denied and she's gonna die in a matter of days, before the show goes back to focusing on the newborn again.

It just very much came off like the episode/writers going "Well, all that really matters is that the girl delivered a healthy child. Now she has fulfilled her purpose and there's no reason to care about her anymore".

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Perestroika posted:

I've been rewatching House as background noise during work. It's usually fun and comfy enough, but one of the episodes in the fifth season struck me as intensely hosed up.

In short, the plot boils down to: Teenage girl who was bullied a lot is brought in, lots of speculation and false diagnoses, in the end it turns out she'd actually secretly gotten pregnant and her condition was caused by her having given birth a few weeks before. She'd given birth in an abandoned building, thought the child was stillborn, and left her there for dead. Cuddy goes to recover the newborn's body, but it turns out it was alive after all and a couple of squatters had been taking care of it.

Now, usually in a House episode this would be the turning point where somebody has a sudden brainwave and the seemingly fatal condition is curable after all. But nope, not this time. The teenager still has fatal irreparable organ damage. But the narrative basically breezes past that, suddenly the focus is entirely on how great it is that the newborn is alright and that Cuddy will get to adopt her. The teenager doesn't even get an onscreen sendoff, they just mention offhandedly that her transplant application was denied and she's gonna die in a matter of days, before the show goes back to focusing on the newborn again.

It just very much came off like the episode/writers going "Well, all that really matters is that the girl delivered a healthy child. Now she has fulfilled her purpose and there's no reason to care about her anymore".

thisisamerica.gif

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Taeke posted:

My UK DVD of Ratatouille had newspapers and the letter from Linguini's mum in French and years later I watched it on Netflix and the text was in English. I had to dig out the DVD to prove to myself I hadn't imagined it.
French audio wasn't on it, just English and Hindi. Maybe all Region 2 DVDs had this print.

I preferred the French writing. Reinforced the Frenchness. Plus I liked that I could work out what the letter said from fuzzy memories of high school French lessons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

My UK DVD of Ratatouille had newspapers and the letter from Linguini's mum in French and years later I watched it on Netflix and the text was in English. I had to dig out the DVD to prove to myself I hadn't imagined it.
French audio wasn't on it, just English and Hindi. Maybe all Region 2 DVDs had this print.

I preferred the French writing. Reinforced the Frenchness. Plus I liked that I could work out what the letter said from fuzzy memories of high school French lessons

Yeah, I think a big difference is whether you're watching it with/for kids or watching it yourself. For myself I'd for sure prefer the foreign language on screen even if the dialogue is in English because it helps set the stage and keep me invested, also it kinda takes me out of it seeing Dutch signs with something like the Sydney Opera House in the background. But then when I'm watching with the kids that's not really a consideration and it's nice for the kids to be able to read along and feel included.

And it was just really cool to realize that technology got to the point where something like that can be changed as needed.