Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This literally never happens.

And it's stupid that it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

In meaningless games after the season was alreadly over like I said a billion times.
Yeah part of the problem with your logic is that the games were not meaningless to Pierce or the players on that team. They are playing for their jobs. They will not get resigned / signed by other teams if they play like poo poo once their team was out of playoff contention. Also, they were not technically out of playoff contention until late in the season.

mcmagic posted:

What's the top 10 defense thing? Over the second half of the seasoon where they played the Jets and the Vikings and the Chargers? The idea that people are buying into that strikes me as silly.
You identified 3 of the 9 teams that the Raiders played with Pierce at the helm. Of those three teams, you understand that the Vikings were playing for their playoff lives and have a talented offense even without Kirk Cousins, yeah? The Raiders defense was a total loving joke the first half of the season, the fact that they went from that to beating the Chiefs in Arrowhead with a stagnant offense is remarkable.

Also you seem to be ignoring the fact that the Raiders played a bunch of joke teams before McDaniels got fired.

There are tangible facts that can be looked at to cite improvement of the team. The defense playing better overall, going from one of the most penalized teams under McDaniels to the least penalized team under Pierce. But you keep saying that none of that matters.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why would multiple teams all wait for a single dude when they haven't even interviewed him? They don't even know if they like him, and while they wait all the other a available candidates are getting snapped up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Teams don’t want to wait until potentially after the superbowl to get started on hiring a head coach. Guys interviewing for jobs don’t want to wait until after the superbowl to know if they’ve got a head coaching job. They don’t want to wait that long to start putting together a staff when many of their choices will have already decided to go elsewhere at that point.

Yea, it sucks for the team they work for but unless the NFL prohibits it it’s going to keep happening because it’s always to the benefit of both the teams hiring and the people interviewing to start sooner.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Teams need to install a new coach quickly so they can start prepping for free agency and the draft. It just isn't workable for them to sit and wait for a month in the hopes that a candidate might check every box they want during the interview phase and choose to sign on with them.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
at least Slowick could wait til after his game lol
https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1748705191707185210?s=12&t=x5-NzdOmzxVdg9621hs9Tw

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Black Lighter posted:

The Raiders are a team that's badly needed a culture shift for decades, and Pierce came in and shifted it almost overnight. There's no way in which he can be considered a bad hire.

It’s a Raiders appointment you can look at and hope it genuinely goes well for both him and them, rather than waiting to dunk on everyone involved when it inevitably goes tits up like the last few.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I just don't think that "getting a team pointed in the right direction" in games in december after you're out of the playoffs already really matters at all. That doesn't mean he won't be a good coach but I don't buy that as a reason why.

I think Pierce is a good hire but people yelling at you for doubting the hire is silly. Consider these factors:

Record of interim coaches since 2000 who kept job:
Jason Garrett 80-64, 3 playoffs
Mike Mularkey 18-14, 1 playoff
Doug Marrone 22-42, 1 playoff
Leslie Frazier 18-29-1, 1 playoff
Tom Cable 13-19
Mike Singletary 13-18
Dick LeBeau 8-24
Dave McGinnis 16-32
Romeo Crennel 2-14
Mike Tice 32-32, 1 playoff to this list

in addition to this, sure you can rally your troops to turn around a season, but can you plan your own season? Can you adjust to when teams scheme against you with preparation?

It's also worth noting that guys who go from position coach to head coach (while skipping the coordinator step) often have trouble with that sort of thing. And even most of the coordinators have difficulty figuring out how to operate, plan, and coach a team during the offseason as effectively as possible. You can't win a Super Bowl during the offseason but you sure can royally gently caress up your chances during it.

Kind of funny that the most notable exception to this position coach rule is... Andy Reid.

I think Pierce is a good hire but there is definitely risk

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Its a good hire because of the feel good story and he has the locker room support. The raiders desperately need a culture refresh and why not give a shot to the guy who beat the chiefs without passing for 3 quarters? Plus he's making the right moves to grow into the role rather than coasting on whatever he did as a coordinator.

Will he pan out though? Probably not given the interim history BUT I think for Pierce's case most of this will depend on if he has a good GM that can get some offensive talent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pete Carroll is like THE culture guy. Teams (not just the Raiders) that need a reboot and aren't calling him up are very stupid.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

Pete Carroll is like THE culture guy. Teams (not just the Raiders) that need a reboot and aren't calling him up are very stupid.

He’s not on the market! He took an executive job in Seattle! He wouldn’t have done that if he planned to coach for another team this year!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

It literally says he’s already met with the titans and the panthers

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
You get a Shanahan Tree Coach! You get a Shanahan Tree Coach! AND You get a Shanahan Tree Coach!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s not on the market! He took an executive job in Seattle! He wouldn’t have done that if he planned to coach for another team this year!

Nothing about him taking that job means he can't take another HC job. It was just a soft landing for him when they fired him. Again, if you watched his press conference it was 1 billion percent clear that he wanted to coach the Seahawks this year and that he wants to coach again.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I think if Pete was truly on the market then teams would be calling him up, this whole agent circle is too tight knit for them to all just go "oopsies we didnt consider it"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Nothing about him taking that job means he can't take another HC job. It was just a soft landing for him when they fired him. Again, if you watched his press conference it was 1 billion percent clear that he wanted to coach the Seahawks this year and that he wants to coach again.

Yes, he wanted to coach the SEAHAWKS this year. He can’t do that so he’s hanging around in an executive role. If he wanted to coach another team this year he’d be out interviewing for other jobs instead of accepting a role with the Seahawks.

Do you really think teams haven’t called him? He’s not interviewing because he’s not on the market.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

CharlestheHammer posted:

In that he has technically coached a football game and we know he did that? I guess?

He has actually coached 9 games as a head coach (going 5-4) but sure, just act like he was a cheerleader for the final couple games or something.

mcmagic posted:

Even if he really does want to coach again, the fact is that he's not taking interviews so I'm not sure how you expect a team to hire a guy that literally doesn't want to interview for the job. Is Mark Davis supposed to kidnap him and force him to coach the Raiders at gunpoint or something?

Alternatively, he can kidnap his family pet and send him a photo reminiscent of the National Lampoon cover with a gun to the dog's head and force him to coach that way.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 20, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yes, he wanted to coach the SEAHAWKS this year. He can’t do that so he’s hanging around in an executive role. If he wanted to coach another team this year he’d be out interviewing for other jobs instead of accepting a role with the Seahawks.

Do you really think teams haven’t called him? He’s not interviewing because he’s not on the market.

I think we're going to hear about other teams calling him and him taking those calls before this hiring cycle is over. It doesn't make sense for him to sit out a year at 72.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the fuckin dream team hooking up in here lmao

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

mcmagic posted:

I think we're going to hear about other teams calling him and him taking those calls before this hiring cycle is over. It doesn't make sense for him to sit out a year at 72.

I think it makes sense for Pete Carroll to do whatever the hell he wants to do. Perhaps you should give him a call and let him know that he's not handling his work life the way you think he should.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Pete just wanted to be able to jerk off in the bathroom on the clock. Easier to do in an executive suite than coaching.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Black Sunshine posted:

I think it makes sense for Pete Carroll to do whatever the hell he wants to do. Perhaps you should give him a call and let him know that he's not handling his work life the way you think he should.

Tell him Mark Davis has proof that 9/11 was an inside job and will only reveal it if Pete takes the Raiders to the playoffs

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Im glad that vibes based coaching is the new market inequality

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

McMagic does have the right read on Pete’s presser and subsequent media interviews. It seems like Pete does want to coach again but is taking a bit of time to reflect.

McMagic has the wrong read about Pete being willing to sit out a year from coaching, at his age. Because Pete has limitless energy and will die happily on the sidelines mid-game chewing gum, at age 105. Pete could chill this year then try and find something to coach next year.

But also I wouldn’t be surprised if Pete does end up with a coaching gig later in this offseason. Probably not NFL, but somewhere.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Pete gonna coach in the UFL

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Michigan Head Coach Pete Carroll.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Pete's going to challenge Tomsula for the European League championship this year.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mcmagic posted:

What's stupid is continually hammering on this point despite the fact Carroll has a job and is very obviously not on the market.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Q_res posted:

What's stupid is continually hammering on this point despite the fact Carroll has a job and is very obviously not on the market.

You are wrong.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1748828555637866892?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Who would be the funniest coach to see go coach in the ELF

It would rule to see some redass coach from the SEC have to go coach the Feharver Enthroners

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Hide your kids, hide your wife, they're interviewing urrybody up in here.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1748843304064893258

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I guess there's no reason not to be as thorough as possible but it seems unusual that the Chargers are at 14 head coach interviews

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Pierce is a known unknown.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Schrödinger's Coaching Candidate

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I guess there's no reason not to be as thorough as possible but it seems unusual that the Chargers are at 14 head coach interviews

https://twitter.com/GACPodcast17/status/1748895218836103251

They forgot Vrabel on the list, but yeah

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

They forgot Vrabel on the list, but yeah

I don't wish you harm, but I do kinda wish the Chargers harm. So Brian Callahan showing up in this list pleases me.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I don't wish you harm, but I do kinda wish the Chargers harm. So Brian Callahan showing up in this list pleases me.

The Chargers said from the beginning they were going to cast a wide net. I'd be annoyed if they didn't interview a lot of people.

I still think it'll end up being Jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/GACPodcast17/status/1748844799334162882