Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
the newer seasons aren't as bad as the later season of the OG run but there's still some hit-or-miss episodes in there

i do think it's worth watching the show all the way through, its kind of like Nip/Tuck where it's an amazing trainwreck and you never need to go back to it once you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Our watch-through is only in the beginning of season 4. So far the show has been three-quarters serial killer episodes with some paranormal twist. There are SO MANY EPISODES where disability is equated with evil.

Latest episode was serial killer, but he accidentally projects his (mentally ill) thoughts onto nearby film.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 11, 2024

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol season 5 has a scene where they just used the name of a BC dam and set it in PA.

I recognized it BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THERE.

E: And so many episodes set in a strangely humid and cold part of Texas.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Scully, the Aliens turned a part of Arizona into a Pacific Northwest forest, we must investigate!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

steinrokkan posted:

Scully, the Aliens turned a part of Arizona into a Pacific Northwest forest, we must investigate!

It's amazing how much the florida panhandle looks like washington

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

There's an episode of season 1 that supposedly takes place at Lake Okoboji in Iowa. It shows a beautiful forested area of rolling hills instead of the pancake flat lake surrounded by corn fields.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The whole show is great even with some sloggish myth arc stuff, really liked how they portrayed scully as a competent scientist which was ahead of its time, even though she kept on getting kidnapped etc.

A lot of the good motw story/episodes are done by Vince Gilligan too (Bad blood, Drive, etc.) and you can kinda tell the style being similar to his later works
eg. look! this is mexico with the overly yellow filter in ‘John Doe’.

Currently rewatching the whole series right now and getting up to s10, like someone else said earlier that you know it’s a Chris Carter episode every time there’s some long monologues with dramatic voiceover.

’We have budget Arnold at home’.

One thing that drove my friend who worked in the science field nuts was Scully’s pronunciation of ‘aspergillus’ in x-cops, where she said it like aspergers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Encrypted posted:

One thing that drove my friend who worked in the science field nuts was Scully’s pronunciation of ‘aspergillus’ in x-cops, where she said it like aspergers.

Excuse me, Scully is a medical doctor

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

There are rebel aliens of the same species as the bounty hunter guys who sealed their face openings so they couldn't be infected. They were fighting the alien colonists, but since the alien colonists were working with the human syndicate most of their targets were humans or human/alien hybrids so they weren't exactly friends to humanity.

You know what never made sense to me? Scully and Mulder discover people and beings with fantastic abilities like controlling electricity, psychic projection, a legitimate genie, and none of them get weaponized for use against the world-ending alien threat.

Fringe did that right.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you think about it, Scully is Gillian Anderson's worst role. Not how she played it, but the writing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We love it every time Scully is asked the psychology questions instead of Mulder even though he was initially conceived and introduced to the show as a psychologist. They lost that almost immediately after season 1.

Scully smart educated one in all sciences. Spooky Mulder says spooky stuff. Brrrrr.

I think at some point in one of the newer seasons, Mulder straight up says “I’m not a psychologist.”

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Zesty posted:

We love it every time Scully is asked the psychology questions instead of Mulder even though he was initially conceived and introduced to the show as a psychologist. They lost that almost immediately after season 1.

Scully smart educated one in all sciences. Spooky Mulder says spooky stuff. Brrrrr.

I think at some point in one of the newer seasons, Mulder straight up says “I’m not a psychologist.”

That's true though - he was a trained and skilled profiler, but only his undergrad was in psychology.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The fact that Mulder is the best serial profiler the FBI ever had, really makes is even more dumb that Samantha was kidnapped and killed by one and he never knew it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/lordesbbqribs/status/1746981732849496248?t=u3wyBpkO-QzbsGlsnjBONg&s=19

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bonzo posted:

tfw you see any other title other than The Truth Is Out There at the end of the opening.
"Trust no one? :tviv:"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i had the YA novelization of the "green bugs in the forest that kill the loggers" episode

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i had the YA novelization of the "green bugs in the forest that kill the loggers" episode

I had "Hungry Ghosts", which is the adaptation of Hell Money.

I guess they didn't want to put "Hell" on the cover of a book for kids, but they still included some (as I remember it) pretty horrific descriptions of people getting their organs removed while they were still alive.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had "Hungry Ghosts", which is the adaptation of Hell Money.

I guess they didn't want to put "Hell" on the cover of a book for kids, but they still included some (as I remember it) pretty horrific descriptions of people getting their organs removed while they were still alive.

That's a grisly episode - has a couple of live cremations too, if I remember correctly.

It also feels weirdly like a backdoor pilot for a show about the Chinatown cop they assist, but that was never intentional to my knowledge.

Oh! I picked up a box of Topps X-Files cards from 1997 for £20 before Christmas and put them in people's gifts as a little treat, gave some to a friend who had a VIP ticket for a David Duchovny live show with a meet and greet.

My partner keeps a Scully card in their to get them through rough days.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 16, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hell Money had Lucy Liu in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2qaR_LeWoE

McGavin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 16, 2024

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Anyone have the CCG? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X-Files_Collectible_Card_Game

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

There is a service that lets you print cards on card stock, used for novelty poker but lots of magic players print proxies o them.

Anyway if you had the images you could print decks.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I have some cards (maybe a couple of starters worth) but I don't remember ever playing a full game. I saw that some fan convention was running an actual tournament of it last year.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I had The Tooms episode, i think I win this one.

Disco Pope posted:

That's a grisly episode - has a couple of live cremations too, if I remember correctly.

It also feels weirdly like a backdoor pilot for a show about the Chinatown cop they assist, but that was never intentional to my knowledge.

Except he gets live cremated at the end IIRR lmao

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I had The Tooms episode, i think I win this one.

Except he gets live cremated at the end IIRR lmao

Yeah, I remember he turned out shady, but I didn't remember it being him who dies at the end.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

pseudanonymous posted:

There is a service that lets you print cards on card stock, used for novelty poker but lots of magic players print proxies o them.

a friend of mine tried to print out a bunch of proxies for a cube at a FedEx store and they said "no we can't print a bunch of copyrighted stuff". like it wasnt some judgement they made on the spot, they were familiar with what Magic cards were and clearly Wizards had already got to them

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Bonzo posted:

The fact that Mulder is the best serial profiler the FBI ever had, really makes is even more dumb that Samantha was kidnapped and killed by one and he never knew it.

He had a traumatic childhood memory of her being dragged off floating by light, I suspect poo poo like that gets in the way of Occam's Razor. Never mind that Mulder was, by nature and nurture, ALWAYS looking for zebras.

("When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.")

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

eSports Chaebol posted:

a friend of mine tried to print out a bunch of proxies for a cube at a FedEx store and they said "no we can't print a bunch of copyrighted stuff". like it wasnt some judgement they made on the spot, they were familiar with what Magic cards were and clearly Wizards had already got to them

It’s called makeplayingcards.com it’s a whole thing but you have use different backs and remove the copyright symbols they print them in China and ship international.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

There seems to be a large quantity for sale on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/313910264727?hash=item4916828397:g:r88AAOSwUiBiK7ka

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

god I miss the feeling of cracking those 60-card starter decks in MTG

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

There are rebel aliens of the same species as the bounty hunter guys who sealed their face openings so they couldn't be infected. They were fighting the alien colonists, but since the alien colonists were working with the human syndicate most of their targets were humans or human/alien hybrids so they weren't exactly friends to humanity.

You know what never made sense to me? Scully and Mulder discover people and beings with fantastic abilities like controlling electricity, psychic projection, a legitimate genie, and none of them get weaponized for use against the world-ending alien threat.

It's heavily implied (and maybe direct with the murder shadow guy) that the syndicate has been following up afterwards to kidnap and experiment on these people. It's also implied this is the only reason the X-Files are allowed to exist.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

We're 12 episodes from wrapping up. Finished the myth arc (as far as I'm concerned) after the movie with Two Fathers/One Son. Did the weird S6 finale and S7 start too, they're a weird little bit.

It was amazing how hard Season 6 completely retcons the movie and has to remove the tension and stakes it created. Scully pretends it never happened, and they spend the entire season 6 premiere basically erasing it. The mid-season ending of the syndicate is still what I think is a good conclusion to that arc.

Then we have a bunch of bangers like the Groundhog Day episode, alien baseball, triangle and Dreamland. You can definitely feel though that there's a softness to the series now. The tone and feel has shifted from TNG to Voyager, and all of the edges are softened off. Season 6 feels like X-Files in retirement, it's already peaked and is just wrapping things up and having some fun with its budget. Unfortunately, it continued.

We only watched two season 7 episodes. FPS, to prove why we won't be watching any more, and X-Cops (which was very well received by the gang.)

SRQ fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 20, 2024

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

SRQ posted:

We're 12 episodes from wrapping up. Finished the myth arc (as far as I'm concerned) after the movie with Two Fathers/One Son. Did the weird S6 finale and S7 start too, they're a weird little bit.

It was amazing how hard Season 6 completely retcons the movie and has to remove the tension and stakes it created. Scully pretends it never happened, and they spend the entire season 6 premiere basically erasing it. The mid-season ending of the syndicate is still what I think is a good conclusion to that arc.

Then we have a bunch of bangers like the Groundhog Day episode, alien baseball, triangle and Dreamland. You can definitely feel though that there's a softness to the series now. The tone and feel has shifted from TNG to Voyager, and all of the edges are softened off.

We only watched two season 7 episodes. FPS, to prove why we won't be watching any more, and X-Cops (which was very well received by the gang.)

12 episodes remain. I am going to end it with a season 10 episode, just one, that you all are probably aware of but I'm keeping secret. Including in this post!!! No spoilers!!!!!

E: Oh dear that was a quote.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fluke man's afraid to wave his fluke!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Forming a super hero team with the inbred clan, the devil child, fluke guy and Monk

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

You could call it "Task Force X"

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Flukeman was actually played by Darin Morgan, who, as you know, when on to later join the writing team and wrote some of the best episodes of the series.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Detective Thompson posted:

The Flukeman was actually played by Darin Morgan, who, as you know, when on to later join the writing team and wrote some of the best episodes of the series.

I always knew his success as a writer was just a fluke

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

When people complain about LOST not having a well thought out ending I tell them to go watch X-Files and get back to me.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

SRQ posted:

Go back and watch 'Hungry'. I think it's one of the best episodes in the entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Octy posted:

Go back and watch 'Hungry'. I think it's one of the best episodes in the entire run.

I'll add it then.