Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

DaysBefore posted:

Yuo. Not a good look y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

having a coffee

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lobster shirt posted:

having a coffee

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Having 2-3 cups of this Ethiopian a day. Bliss...

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Third coffee. Institutional grade. Not happy, but it's necessary

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Dokapon Findom posted:

Having 2-3 cups of this Ethiopian a day. Bliss...

what's his name

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

lobster shirt posted:

having a coffee

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

what's his name

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tazjin posted:

can't tell you about brands because we have different ones, but the important thing is to get a burr grinder and not a blade "grinder". before pouring your beans into a blade grinder you might as well p our them in the trash, it has the same effect

yeah i pulled the trigger on the encore and now realize i've been grinding my coffee wrong for years

coffee much better now though

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I got an oxo burr grinder for $70 I think that works just fine

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my Vietnamese coffee dripper arrived yesterday and I made the most delicious iced coffee with condensed milk. it feels like a little dessert treat!

coffee

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah i'm eyeing the baratza encore, seems to be the consensus upgrade pick

thats a good one, imo you wont need to upgrade unless you get an espresso machine

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you should get whichever grinder you want to look at every morning tbh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sitting in the chilly winter sun, drinking a coffee and smoking a ciggie. Ahhhh

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

smoobles posted:

my Vietnamese coffee dripper arrived yesterday and I made the most delicious iced coffee with condensed milk. it feels like a little dessert treat!

coffee

condensed milk ftw

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I like burr grinders that don't cost $150

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anyway, off to grab another cup, thank god it's Friday...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The burr has to be ceramic. Metal burrs... you may as well be bashing your beans between rocks

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dokapon Findom posted:

The burr has to be ceramic. Metal burrs... you may as well be bashing your beans between rocks

hosed up if true. Which it's not

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Possible Three Olives alt here??? Investigation underway....

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

My grinder cost $50. I don't buy anything more expensive than it needs to be, but I do pay for quality

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

stainless steel burrs perform great and you see them in a lot of high end grinders. the ceado e6p i use for espresso is probably the best grinder ive ever used and its stainless. like it more than the mazzer we had at work (also stainless)

you just dont want blades

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

official Posting ethics statement: didnt pay for any of them

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Nothing like working at a coffee store to get free Bodum grinders and presses tbh

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like my coffee grinder because I got it as a present from my brother

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Coffee, black. Ground, not chopped

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Karach posted:

Coffee, black. Ground, not chopped

I'm sure there will always be people who want traditional things but you'd think in the Star Trek future instead of just replicating drip coffee we could like, have the replicator pick out the individual flavor compounds you want (and the specific amount of caffeine) and create an admixture of that and water de novo instead of actually using hot water to extract things imprecisely!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Food engineers today are making, uh, like, the craziest things you've ever seen. If I wanna eat a strawberry, they can put a piece of gum in my mouth, stick something in my nose and I can just chew on it and it tastes like I'm eating a strawberry from, like, a specific time and era because they know all the microbes and they know that the certain chemicals taste like mint and a little bit of, uh, you know, like a dozen different smells. So, you'd think after all this time things would've changed, and everything has changed. With all this crazy technology, I could cook anything. The customers only want to eat beet salads and pork buns.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've had the same Krups grinder for close to a decade and it's pretty alright, however it always gets ground coffee jammed up in one of the corners which I have to scrape out with a knife each time. I think I'm ready to buy a new one!

What's the best simple grinder out there. Do you folks find it's worth getting a fancy one to control the courseness?

I own this silly little guy:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

eSports Chaebol posted:

I'm sure there will always be people who want traditional things but you'd think in the Star Trek future instead of just replicating drip coffee we could like, have the replicator pick out the individual flavor compounds you want (and the specific amount of caffeine) and create an admixture of that and water de novo instead of actually using hot water to extract things imprecisely!

I would make the replicator produce that $20k Manument espresso maker and insist on taking 20 minutes to make an espresso myself. The replicator doesn't just produce food - it can also produce the feeling of nostalgia for 21st century bourgeois consumer experiences

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Karach posted:

I would make the replicator produce that $20k Manument espresso maker and insist on taking 20 minutes to make an espresso myself. The replicator doesn't just produce food - it can also produce the feeling of nostalgia for 21st century bourgeois consumer experiences

in an actual post-scarcity utopia drudgery would be eliminated, but a lot of what we consider modern conveniences would be silly. why wouldnt i take my time doing things i enjoy in the most baroque and inefficient way?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dropped my mug. Coffee and bits of porcelain everywhere...

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

if i dont actually have to drive anywhere i dont want a car with a touchscreen or even just a turnkey ignition. i want one where i have to flip a bunch of switches and adjust a bunch of dials just to start it up. maybe even a crank start

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

a shameful coffee drinker

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

eSports Chaebol posted:

if i dont actually have to drive anywhere i dont want a car with a touchscreen or even just a turnkey ignition. i want one where i have to flip a bunch of switches and adjust a bunch of dials just to start it up. maybe even a crank start

Cant wait to wipe the birdshit off my virtual trkk in Cybertruck Simulator 2322.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

smoobles posted:

I've had the same Krups grinder for close to a decade and it's pretty alright, however it always gets ground coffee jammed up in one of the corners which I have to scrape out with a knife each time. I think I'm ready to buy a new one!

What's the best simple grinder out there. Do you folks find it's worth getting a fancy one to control the courseness?

I own this silly little guy:

hit craigslist or sales for a burr grinder. itll be a very meaningful upgrade. my first one was less than fifty bucks off craigslist and had a coarseness knob

because burrs have an obvious way to control coarseness, most burr grinders will have that knob. and yes its worth it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enjoying my Saturday cup with pancakes.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

prodigious coffees abound today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

I did that with my coffee pot when it was filled halfway with water a few weeks ago. 😓