Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Actually got the Deathwing box from a different local store who just put them up at 10am instead of doing a register of interest, getting it discounted takes some of the sting out of the codex possibly not being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the lion was already considered pretty bad, even in casual games. That's weird if they've made him worse again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They have to make sure he can't outshine Roboute.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm just hoping I can get Asmodai as I need him for a conversion.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the only thing new to me from literally 20 years ago is the stupid queue and scalping thing. GW making things worse and making things always slightly worse than smurfs has kinda been par for the course, i think the rare exception was when Black templars first came out

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

the only thing new to me from literally 20 years ago is the stupid queue and scalping thing. GW making things worse and making things always slightly worse than smurfs has kinda been par for the course, i think the rare exception was when Black templars first came out

Ah yes, Ultramarines, the faction which is famously consistently overpowered and dominates the game :dafuq:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
huh. looking at the stats, i stand corrected.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
We didn't have statistics 20 years ago it was just a bunch of guys yelling about what they thought was good over beers

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think the deathwing box is all that great of a deal, I think the upgrade sprues are extremely overpriced/overvalued, but I found one for 187 bucks, so picked it up and might sell it down the line. Here is the link for those interested, in the us:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2563831178...ABk9SR4Kc3vSkYw

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

xtothez posted:

Since that was shown there has been a tidbit from our favourite 40k rumour guy:

"Orks: The teased silhouette is a Mekboy in a Meksuit thats the same size as a Redemptor Dreadnought and will come in a boxset: new Mekboy, 20 Boyz, Stompa (yes that Stompa)"

Presumably that boxed set is limited & temporary like the AOS character ones.

If that's true, I'm buying it. I like ork walkers even if they aren't that good.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eej posted:

We didn't have statistics 20 years ago it was just a bunch of guys yelling about what they thought was good over beers

at the time my LGS got irked about the beers but you arent wrong

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am not sure I have ever played at a game store that would allow you to drink beers on premise. Best case scenario they might turn a blind eye if you go out to your car to drink straight from a bottle of Limoncello you have in your trunk.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

drink straight from a bottle of Limoncello you have in your trunk.
this isn't the mini painting thread!?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-dark-angels-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/
https://www.goonhammer.com/belial-and-deathwing-knights-goonhammer-model-review/

If someone is dying for a Dangle codex review, the Goonhammer one is up.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Well it took some doing, but I got all 3 kans with rokkits on em'.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 20, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Nice Kans

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Genuinely shocked how deeply GW screwed the dark angels i thought they were going to be the stars of this edition with the lion returning

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Genuinely shocked how deeply GW screwed the dark angels i thought they were going to be the stars of this edition with the lion returning

*Laughs in Admech/Guard*

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The lion returning was for hyping up the launch of this edition but it ultimately happened last edition, they already sold a fuckload of the Lion models, they're gonna wanna sell you whole new primarchs!

The balance stuff will probably get sorted out as well, from the Goonhammer writeup and what others are saying, they don't sound unsalvageably bad, just some of their stuff is underwhelming, some of it seems promising. The codexes have all immediately had points changes come out shortly after that are utterly different too.

They're also getting a fair amount of new stuff and will also get new stuff whenever Space Marines in general get new/refreshed stuff. It's hard to say they're getting screwed when some factions get a unit for an entire edition and it's as hated as that stilt Ad Mech dude.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The guard thing is weird since they had a huge range refresh in 2022? But it was timed inexplicably because their brand new codex got wiped out by edition refresh.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

thebardyspoon posted:

The lion returning was for hyping up the launch of this edition but it ultimately happened last edition, they already sold a fuckload of the Lion models, they're gonna wanna sell you whole new primarchs!

The balance stuff will probably get sorted out as well, from the Goonhammer writeup and what others are saying, they don't sound unsalvageably bad, just some of their stuff is underwhelming, some of it seems promising. The codexes have all immediately had points changes come out shortly after that are utterly different too.

They're also getting a fair amount of new stuff and will also get new stuff whenever Space Marines in general get new/refreshed stuff. It's hard to say they're getting screwed when some factions get a unit for an entire edition and it's as hated as that stilt Ad Mech dude.

They are not horrible, just horribly average. People are used to Dark Angels getting tons of cool and potent stuff so now they can't process the thought of being teabagged by daddy GW for once.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Any long time Dark Angels fan is used to having a thoroughly mediocre army that is worse than standard codex marines in a lot of ways. This is just a return to tradition.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kind of surprised that the Dark Angels didn't get a new Primaris Lieutenant.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dangels were top of the meta for a long while in 9th if I'm not mistaken so I'm not surprised to see them tempered a little.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Kind of surprised that the Dark Angels didn't get a new Primaris Lieutenant.

With enough imagination, every Watcher in the Dark can be a new Lieutenant.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I was never a fan of the Roboute model, but holy hell does it look bad next to the Lion.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is the Lion really that bad after the changes? He seems already super survivable with minor support and his 3++ that bounces mortals, so the lack of the -1 to be wounded doesn't feel harsh. And d2 on the sweep attack was a bit excessive.

He still feels eminently dangerous and likely the victor of any straight primarch vs. primarch duel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Geisladisk posted:

Ah yes, Ultramarines, the faction which is famously consistently overpowered and dominates the game :dafuq:

Yeah I can't remember a time as a SW player where I went drat those op ultras wish I was them.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Well fortunately in 10th any Space Marine legion can freely use the Ultramarines detachments, so the threat of OP Smurfs is pretty low.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sephyr posted:

Is the Lion really that bad after the changes? He seems already super survivable with minor support and his 3++ that bounces mortals, so the lack of the -1 to be wounded doesn't feel harsh. And d2 on the sweep attack was a bit excessive.

He still feels eminently dangerous and likely the victor of any straight primarch vs. primarch duel.

I've barely played the game but it seems to me big single units like that need to bring something pretty big to the table to justify the points expenditure and apparently he already wasn't worth the points he cost before for what he was bringing, so absent a points drop, cutting some of his numbers isn't going to result in him being played more.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is everyone ignoring that Vanguard Ultramarines is one of the best SM lists right now

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Safety Factor posted:

Any long time Dark Angels fan is used to having a thoroughly mediocre army that is worse than standard codex marines in a lot of ways. This is just a return to tradition.

Weren't the DA the poster children for every standard space marine army immediately switching to their rules whenever the codex was released?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Eej posted:

Is everyone ignoring that Vanguard Ultramarines is one of the best SM lists right now

it's quite strong, but I don't know how OP it is considering it has a really high skill floor. It's not like you can just netlist copy+paste and play and win, you need a good understanding of the game to manage all the sneaky movement tricks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Weren't the DA the poster children for every standard space marine army immediately switching to their rules whenever the codex was released?

I remember that happening with Blood Angels more tbh, as long as I've been aware of 40k DA have either been horribly out of date, suffering from first codex syndrome, or down in the dumps with the rest of the Marines. They only seemed to get a shot in the arm with 9th.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Watching the Las Vegas Open stream and I realized there's no way that I could play an army like orcs that builds around that one golden turn.

What are the armies in 40k that are fun to plan and theory craft with, but aren't wildly swingy or glass canon sort of stuff that want to clinch the game in one go?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

Watching the Las Vegas Open stream and I realized there's no way that I could play an army like orcs that builds around that one golden turn.

What are the armies in 40k that are fun to plan and theory craft with, but aren't wildly swingy or glass canon sort of stuff that want to clinch the game in one go?

Space marines.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, but consider this, I want to feel like a special little snowflake and not play space marines.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
special snowflake space marine chapter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, but consider this, I want to feel like a special little snowflake and not play space marines.

I was dumb posting but you have a lot of flavours to be special.

Orks aren't really one almighty turn and that's it. You have lots to do every turn and they're pretty tough plus have good numbers and a lot of armour. You can build Orks in a lot of ways and waaagh when the time is right.

I'd say for armies that can grind you've got guard, votann, tyranids and necrons. Guard, necrons and tyranids are well rounded armies.

E: I play tau and they're probably more on the Eldar end of the spectrum, but they're fun now and you can build pretty tough. You just have to be a fan of shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Couple of my game club pals are top ten in KT right now, one of our 40k players is in the top 40, not bad