Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

a7m2 posted:

So for those who've actually played Pal World: How is it?

I've got about 6 hours in it and it's good. How long that'll hold up and how much content there is so far I don't know yet. Whole lot of other people really enjoying it in the Palworld thread OR SO THEY CLAIM!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052175

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why am I not seeing thousands of awful games blogger articles about a game that’s been out for 18 hours

AI.

Googling questions about Palworld gameplay and so far every google search has a Sports Illustrated article as the first result (who recently fired their entire staff and has been publishing AI content with fake authors using AI face gen photos).

e: doh, I read that as "why am I seeing thousands of awful games blogger articles"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Mordja posted:

I actually wish Palworld was more of a Pokemon ripoff, I just don't have any interest in rockpuncher games. :(

You automate the resource punching after the first few hours, if that helps.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RandomBlue posted:

AI.

Googling questions about Palworld gameplay and so far every google search has a Sports Illustrated article as the first result (who recently fired their entire staff and has been publishing AI content with fake authors using AI face gen photos).

e: doh, I read that as "why am I seeing thousands of awful games blogger articles"

Most google searches you have to add "reddit" to the end of them to get human responses these days. Although now the computers are getting smart and jsut making AI articles of reddit posts, so who knows how long that will work.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Substandard posted:

Most google searches you have to add "reddit" to the end of them to get human responses these days. Although now the computers are getting smart and jsut making AI articles of reddit posts, so who knows how long that will work.

reddit issues their IPO next month, it'll be gutted and flooded with the same SEO bait as everything else within the year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Substandard posted:

Google’s descent into worthlessness has steepened. Lately when I search for things the first several pages have entries with identical descriptions containing text that isn’t on the page they link to.

Oxxidation posted:

reddit issues their IPO next month, it'll be gutted and flooded with the same SEO bait as everything else within the year

They already do nothing about astroturfing, botting, and other forms of social media abuse so I’m looking forward to what the site becomes when it finds a way to somehow get worse.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
SANABI: Hugely well reviewed and I get why people like it but ultimately I think it's kind of mediocre. I think its structure is similar to Celeste in a lot of ways and you can see what purpose Celeste's ultra difficulty and berries serve in the game design vs Sanabi where you do levels until the game ends. SANABI's biggest fans will like it for the story rather than the gameplay.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Where the gently caress is the Katana Zero DLC?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Borderlands 3 is currently $12 CAD on Steam. Is it worth it and what DLC options are there? Last one I played was the Pre-Sequel which was really boring.

Speaking of someone who really liked BL2 (yes, probably even that part you’re thinking of) it’s a good thing BL3 made such drastic improvements to the shooting and combat because if they hadn’t I think it would be the worst game of the series. I’m one of those degenerates who thinks BL2 is actually pretty funny but so much of BL3’s humour is just painful and it goes on for so long and you get so much of it.

The first season pass of DLC is good as it’s what you expect - new areas, new NPCs, new enemies, new story to shoot through - and can be better than the main game in parts but the second season pass is much smaller, worse, and includes a battle royale mode no one plays.

If you think you want to play it after that glowing review just start with the base game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

Is enjoying video games even allowed?

I don't think you're even allowed to play video games here

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tiny Timbs posted:

You must understand, transitioning to HD has been hard
Transitioning to 30fps will be worse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Old console games ran at 60 fps.
30 fps is a relatively modern garbage rear end trend.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

College Rockout posted:

Borderlands 3 has the best gunplay in the series but the worst story by miles. If you're looking for a game to play while listening to a podcast this is a pretty decent choice. It's unplayable with the volume on.

Iirc there's One Weird Trick where you can delete certain data files containing dialogue stuff and the game will just instantly skip all conversations

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Old console games ran at 60 fps.
30 fps is a relatively modern garbage rear end trend.

Half Gamecube games ran at 30, same with N64 and PS2. So I guess it depends on what you mean by modern.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Nintendo devs about to start panicking and explain that we shouldn't be expecting Palword quality and polish from upcoming games because they don't have the same resources.

lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Half Gamecube games ran at 30, same with N64 and PS2. So I guess it depends on what you mean by modern.
Old-school NTSC televisions in general ran at 29.97 interlaced fps - they'd refresh scanlines alternating by evens/odds.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ocarina of time and majoras mask ran at 1/3rd the refresh rate so in PAL land they were glorious 16.6fps, assuming no slowdown

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

repiv posted:

ocarina of time and majoras mask ran at 1/3rd the refresh rate so in PAL land they were glorious 16.6fps, assuming no slowdown

it's actually called Palworld. It's ok, easy mistake to make.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Almost all N64 games were at most 30fps. Ocarina of Time is 20fps. Goldeneye was like 20fps but realistically 10-15fps a lot of the time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

compromising framerate to do More Graphics also isn't new, MGS2 was 60fps and MGS3 regressed to 30fps

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
starfox did cutting edge three-dimensional (!) graphics at 15fps

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the funny thing about starfox is it could have easily run a lot better if they weren't so conservative with the superfx clock, its the only game which ran it at 10.5mhz, every other game which used it ran it at 21mhz

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Palworld is just below Baldur's Gate 3 on most concurrent players ever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

palworld has brought a temporary reprieve to war in the Middle East

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Volte posted:

Almost all N64 games were at most 30fps. Ocarina of Time is 20fps. Goldeneye was like 20fps but realistically 10-15fps a lot of the time.

Fzero X is so good and smooth though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Palworld is pretty good, but definitely not Elden Ring good.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Up to 3m sales in 40 hours. I wonder if this is now the fastest selling indie/AA game ever. Or maybe second behind PUBG.

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 21, 2024

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

College Rockout posted:

Borderlands 3 has the best gunplay in the series but the worst story by miles. If you're looking for a game to play while listening to a podcast this is a pretty decent choice. It's unplayable with the volume on.

Something really important to say about BL3 is if you do plan to play it, stop playing at a pivotal moment and dig up the cutscene they removed.

You'll know when it happens, so I don't need to say when, but go watch the cutscene on Youtube.

Short version? After a huge moment in BL3 there was supposed to be a SEVEN MINUTE LONG CUTSCENE where a child character works through trauma with the help of everyone else. They are then given a chance to bond with Lilith and the rest of the team. There's a huge event where basically every character from the franchise comes out to something. There's a lot of talking and major plot beat moments in it. It was fully storyboarded, voice acted, and was supposed to be in the game.

And it got removed because Randy Pitchford said it was too much talking/too emotional for Borderlands and nobody wants to see that sappy poo poo.

Needless to say it fixes basically every issue people had with that story. It fleshes out a character everyone hates and gives her the actual growth people said was missing. It helps flesh out the other major characters. It shows why certain things happened. It's the whole nine yards of fixing every part of that story. If you actually do pause there and go watch the cutscene the story is actually totally fine and not amazing or anything but the best story of the 3. It answers the question very easily of what's wrong with the BL3 storyline. They late in dev ripped out a major story cutscene that pushed everything forward and never put anything in place to replace it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anno posted:

Up to 3m sales in 40 hours. I wonder if this is now the fastest selling indie/AA game ever. Or maybe second behind PUBG.

curious to see if it had any legs whatsoever or the active players just fall off a cliff as soon as people realise they bought a meme game

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rookersh posted:

And it got removed because Randy Pitchford said it was too much talking/too emotional for Borderlands and nobody wants to see that sappy poo poo.

Pitchford correct for once.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait wait, this Palworld frenzy is still in early access? With like a kabillion sales?

You fools, you utter fools.

Anno
May 10, 2017

repiv posted:

curious to see if it had any legs whatsoever or the active players just fall off a cliff as soon as people realise they bought a meme game

I imagine it’ll have a pattern similar to Valheim or Ark or something right? Like as a % of max players it’ll fall off compared to multiplayer games or whatever, but it’ll trundle along at a decent clip and have huge spikes whenever major updates are released.

Also its review score has only been going up, so if there’s a cliff when the game suddenly gets bad or stops or something people haven’t started hitting it yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Serephina posted:

Wait wait, this Palworld frenzy is still in early access? With like a kabillion sales?

You fools, you utter fools.

It's perfectly playable for hours and hours. It's not a barebones EA joint, it's lots of fun right now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bought Palworld and it seemed pretty fun but after the first boss fight it was really wearing on me and getting boring so I quit out and was at exactly 119 minutes so I refunded it. I'm also curious to see how the playercount holds up because all the streamers playing it yesterday looked incredibly bored by the end of the day.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think if that were a common takeaway it wouldn’t be set to push into the top 10 of all-time Steam concurrents sometime in the next 12-14 hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

I don’t think it’s just a meme game. It’s not gonna be for everyone, but there was clearly some thought put into how to make this work. It’s got jank, but I think it’s a decent game.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I am happy for the devs of Palworld for their success, and the game itself seems fine for what it is, but I was not impressed and didn't want to get passed the two hour mark, so I refunded it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i think this baldurs gate 3 game might be a meme game you guys, there's only 200k players now, down from over 800k

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

nobody plays super mario bros anymore, meme game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BG3 definitely a meme game, haha bear sex