Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the milk machine posted:

tom bombadil lives in the woods because he's a weird pervert that doesn't bathe and everyone is always tired of his poo poo

oh he's finnish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ArmedZombie posted:

oh he's finnish?

he was partly inspired by a folk hero from the Kalevala so literally yes lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

an egg posted:

only bakshi is worthy

correct, the best version of lord of the rings is Wizards

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

lmao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Entirely unsurprised to learn that Tom Bombadil is a Finn

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I would rather give less money to Ukrainian scammers ripping off record companies in exchange for high-quality DRM-free mp3s than give more money to Spotify in exchange for a license to use encrypted download files for as long as I keep paying them

hey everybody look at this rear end in a top hat he loves that putin invades ukraine and wants to kiss him on the lips

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

hey everybody look at this rear end in a top hat he loves that putin invades ukraine and wants to kiss him on the lips

That post is advocating for giving money to Ukrainians instead of Spotify though

I appreciate the joke attempt but I think you misread the post lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm confused why Bezos has the LOTR rights anyway, I thought WB was the Tolkien media hookup

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's wild how Sascha Baron Cohen's wildly racist unfunny stuff was so popular.

it still baffles me how more people at the time didnt realize just how grotesque cohens whole bit is hes abusing the willingness of people to give a foreigner who speaks broken english the benefit of the doubt and implicitly smearing them as racist for not being enough of a smug know it all to call him out sooner

the big irony is that it only works at all because even the viewer whos allegedly in on the joke has to understand that the stereotypes cohen uses are fundamentally logical this is why bruno got a lot more collar tugging than borat did because while the racism of the borat character was so generic it cant even apply to the country hes allegedly from bruno was basically gayface

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

it still baffles me how more people at the time didnt realize just how grotesque cohens whole bit is hes abusing the willingness of people to give a foreigner who speaks broken english the benefit of the doubt and implicitly smearing them as racist for not being enough of a smug know it all to call him out sooner

the big irony is that it only works at all because even the viewer whos allegedly in on the joke has to understand that the stereotypes cohen uses are fundamentally logical this is why bruno got a lot more collar tugging than borat did because while the racism of the borat character was so generic it cant even apply to the country hes allegedly from bruno was basically gayface

look up what happened when Bruno went to Israel

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ArmedZombie posted:

oh he's finnish?

That would explain why they love him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm confused why Bezos has the LOTR rights anyway, I thought WB was the Tolkien media hookup

he doesn't, he bought affiliated stories which is why the rings of power plot and characters are loving dogshit. it rules, just an amazing disaster. wheel of time should have gotten the budget and 20-episode seasons instead

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can't believe modern media is making GBS threads on my beloved franchise. it's ruined!!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

bedpan posted:

look up what happened when Bruno went to Israel

It’s kind of funny how many times Cohen’s horrible shtick has either gotten his rear end kicked or nearly murdered

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ArmedZombie posted:

oh he's finnish?

i think i may have inadvertently subscribed to Tom Bombadil's youtube channel a while back. he's into some weird poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

my bony fealty posted:

the duality of finns:

tom bombadil
the elves

loquacius posted:

they don't. they have the rights to use like the glossary.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im buying the rights to dragonlance but specifically the D-tier offshoot novels

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DaysBefore posted:

Tom of Finland?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

he doesn't, he bought affiliated stories which is why the rings of power plot and characters are loving dogshit. it rules, just an amazing disaster. wheel of time should have gotten the budget and 20-episode seasons instead

to be fair, even if bezos had the rights beyond just the glossary, i still don't think it'd be anything other than a disaster

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Popy posted:

im buying the rights to dragonlance but specifically the D-tier offshoot novels

one billion dollars to make a series about gully dwarves

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Push notification I just got

What is even going on, why is a football team theming concessions after an opposing player's rich girlfriend

Do they think if she's not impressed with their stadium her fans will burn it down

and if so are they correct

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah thats why its good

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Ammanas posted:

i doubt thats really true beyond 'Bezos liked the LOTR movies or read the books in high school', because any lote weeb would have made something considerably better than that drek

He basically just used his unlimited resources to outbid everyone else for the rights to the appendices from the Tolkien Estate because he very publicly said he wanted his own Game of Thrones style cultural phenomenon on his company's streaming service. He then handed it off to 2 J.J. Abrams style rejects and then probably forgot about it because '1 billion should do that trick!'.

I am a bit surprised Amazon has kept on JD Payne and Patrick McKay after the dismal reaction the show got with only 1 in 3 viewers finishing it. The only reason I can think of is firing them would've been a very public way of saying 'we hosed up' without actually admitting it and it they don't want that kind of publicity.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DaysBefore posted:

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

brugroffil posted:

For All Mankind has dropped off a bit but the first couple of seasons were solid

Could not stop laughing when Mrs. Baldwen becomes more open and in touch with her emotions in season 2 and decides to have a frank conversation with her husband about loving her dead son's childhood friend.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

The Hurin stuff is pretty good

the Narn loving rules

https://youtu.be/bKHOrLqVn-o?feature=shared

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

What is even going on, why is a football team theming concessions after an opposing player's rich girlfriend

Do they think if she's not impressed with their stadium her fans will burn it down

Her fans have been driving up prices to Chiefs road games all season and this is just another way to cash in on them

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I watched Joint Security Area tonight. very CSPAM movie!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gresh posted:

He basically just used his unlimited resources to outbid everyone else for the rights to the appendices from the Tolkien Estate because he very publicly said he wanted his own Game of Thrones style cultural phenomenon on his company's streaming service. He then handed it off to 2 J.J. Abrams style rejects and then probably forgot about it because '1 billion should do that trick!'.

I am a bit surprised Amazon has kept on JD Payne and Patrick McKay after the dismal reaction the show got with only 1 in 3 viewers finishing it. The only reason I can think of is firing them would've been a very public way of saying 'we hosed up' without actually admitting it and it they don't want that kind of publicity.

look what if we made a fallout tv show set after the NCR and somehow the world is still fresh out of nuke oven

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

i say swears online posted:

can't believe modern media is making GBS threads on my beloved franchise. it's ruined!!

non canon aragorn is visibly shorter than gandalf

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

people keep replying with the story about the spiderverse animators’ working conditions lol

the what now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait which fifty year period is he referring to here as the half century of cuban democracy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

Bills just stole almost a billion dollars from NY state gently caress em

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
rings of power is good as hell. sorry goons! pumped for season 2

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh so Comedy Central just shows The Office on repeat all night now lol

comedy central update on saturdays they appear to play movies tonight its step brothers (2008) and talladega nights (2006)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shageletic posted:

Bills just stole almost a billion dollars from NY state gently caress em

every team does this. gently caress them all? sure. fine.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh so Comedy Central just shows The Office on repeat all night now lol

I feel that we as a society have moved past the problematic and hurtful “artform” known as comedy. I applaud Comedy Central for this decision and another positive step forward would be rebranding itself as “Central” or “The Central Network.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watched Busting (1974) starring Elliot Gould and Robert Blake. The movie is ok, but interesting watch. A tad homophobic and very anti sex work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeTXt2Ac3og

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

bro were the gently caress is House of The Dragon season 2 already it feels like its been forever since S1

gimmie the slop ive been playin a bunch of crusader kings and mount n' blade