Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
then her stripper wife cheats on her while she's in the astral plane and she turns her silver sword on herself :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm about half way through the game. I'm finding that I do much better in battles with my melee characters than spellcasters. Doing two melee hits per turn with a character just seems to be much more effective than casting a spell that slows or debuffs enemies. I rarely use my scrolls or potions. Anyone else feel the same?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It really depends on how you build your spellcaster. Some are far more effective blasters than others.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh right, in case y'all don't read announcements, today's the Something Awful Wrestling pay-per-view! I'm in it! A bunch of other cool people are in it! That DICK! is... I can't actually remember if That Dick is gonna be on the card but he'll be in the audience! The AI is buggy and dumb! WWE 2k23 is a functional game! Come have fun with us!

https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I'm about half way through the game. I'm finding that I do much better in battles with my melee characters than spellcasters. Doing two melee hits per turn with a character just seems to be much more effective than casting a spell that slows or debuffs enemies. I rarely use my scrolls or potions. Anyone else feel the same?

In both my playthroughs pure battlemaster Lae'zel has been the companion I used the most.

In BG2 I felt that spells were clearly superior to melee, especially at higher levels. In BG3 melee really holds it's own

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spellcasters can be really powerful but they require a little more system knowledge and setup. Meanwhile a pure 12/12 Battlemaster is one of the strongest classes in the game and they just give you one in the opening hour of the campaign. It was definitely a surprise since the last version of tabletop I played was AD&D 2.5.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

As I am wrapping up my 2nd honour mode completion I am really disappointed in how simplistic the AI is. They all fight to the death, they counterspell cantrips, dispel magic isn’t a thing so they don’t deal with player fuckery at all. So much of the “broken” stuff players get away with is because nothing is really reactive to what the player does outside a few scripted moments. I hope they release some mod tools soon so some of this can be improved on.

I do enjoy the game a lot and the combat but yeah after a couple of playthroughs it becomes evident pretty quick that if you know what you're doing the AI can't keep up.

I have seen some mods out there but I have no interest in like mods that just buff enemy stats.

I hope someone eventually makes something like Sword Coast Strategems for BG3. That's a long running BG1/2 mod which instead of going haywire with arbitrarily boosting enemy stats instead takes the approach of programming the AI to do the same bullshit you do. It makes those games a lot more fun and challenging (for me at least). I hate the Bethesda approach of making enemies tougher by just boosting their stats and gimping your attacks.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ve mostly used spellcasters to tee up big hits for the martials eg a sorcerer with heightened spell and hold person/monster whatever can really make your battlemaster pop

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ChocNitty posted:

Spellcasters are superior for AOE and controlling the battlefield with debuffs, damage is secondary to their role. You use spellcasters to lock down a swathe of enemies while your melee guys dismantle them one by one, or banish the big bad while the melee guys mop up the side support.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Finally finished this behemoth of a game.. my ending was bittersweet I think...

Shadowheart became an adventurous soul wandering the lands alone.

Karlach exploded on a pier, after saying she adored me. which frankly resulted in the 3rd game ever to make me shed tears.

Laezel, who I romanced, took flight to free the Gith and lead a rebellion against the Lich Queen, promising to come back for me.

The others I didn't care for, because I benched them (mostly).

As for my main character, I felt the ending was a little confused

the epilogue party with Withers seemed to imply I'd been adventuring / helping rebuild BG, but I was surprised the game didn't let me choose to Join Laezel in her planar mission. she projected into the party to say "see you soon", but it didn't really seem like I had any reason to not go with her. my Character would have gone.

I was impressed with how many possibilities there seemed to be with the end. couldn't bear to see Karlach turned into an Illithid, even if it saved her. I didn't want to succumb either.

I was very happy for Orpheus to do it and happy to push the Emperor's poo poo in during the final battle. He was always super sus, especially after freeing Orpheus when he just decides to what ... join the nether brain?!

also, absolutely laughing at how all the characters just coin this term "nether brain" like it's a known thing. it felt very cheesy to me. Big contrast to the po-faced seriousness of the finale of BG1 and 2.

I wish the game had been written a bit differently, with the Dead Three being the major threat / plot and the Illithid being a side conspiracy thing. And, in general, I think it could have been better as a standalone Forgotten Realms game rather than trying to be sort of tethered (but not really) to the first two.

Really hope Larian can make a spin off, free from the shackles of nostalgia, semi sequel set in the Planes ft Karlach and Mizora. They'd absolutely nail it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Raphael and Mizora are some of my favorite characters from the game. Larian knows how to do devils.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

mitochondritom posted:

As for my main character, I felt the ending was a little confused

the epilogue party with Withers seemed to imply I'd been adventuring / helping rebuild BG, but I was surprised the game didn't let me choose to Join Laezel in her planar mission. she projected into the party to say "see you soon", but it didn't really seem like I had any reason to not go with her. my Character would have gone.

You can get this specific ending as a githyanki MC that romances Lae'zel.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well I almost derailed my 1st honor mode attempt when I unsuccessfully attempted to use mind reading on the tiefling who was going to kill Sazza. Had to scramble my crew out the back door to escape after every tiefling in the grove decided we should all be murdered for our transgression.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

You can get this specific ending as a githyanki MC that romances Lae'zel.
It's really too bad the Gith resistance doesn't see the value in a level 12 auxiliary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Amusingly enough if you're gith and choose to become a mindflayer, Orpheus is like "ehhhhh they'll get over it" and you get to ride into the sunset with Lae'zel regardless.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So an easy way to keep Astarion from attempting to ascend is to kill the other spawn being used in the ritual. You only need to kill one to spoil everthing.. You don't even have to convince him of anything and he doesn't care either way.

Why in the gently caress did it take me so long to realize that? They even give a good chunk of XP!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Cursing my boy to caves :argh:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
end of act 2 spoilers: ketheric beings friends with neil gaiman and meat suit harley quinn and each of them having a magic crystal that controls a giant brain is pure d&d cheese and i am 100% down for it

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Everything about the brain made me think of this Futurama episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bSzsvlg2M

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am glad I got into a relationship with Astarion and I managed to kick him in the balls with the clown paint applied

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mitochondritom posted:

Everything about the brain made me think of this Futurama episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bSzsvlg2M

https://youtu.be/1r65O2FSCqs

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2024

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So I'm playing Divinity Original Sin 2 and found the BG3 narrator voiced two lines for one random turtle you find in ACT 1. I like to believe that was her audition.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

So I'm playing Divinity Original Sin 2 and found the BG3 narrator voiced two lines for one random turtle you find in ACT 1. I like to believe that was her audition.

you're close: she's the voice of malady, which is just a hair off her narrator voice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The voice of Lohse in DOS2 is Mizora in BG3, which I didn't pick up at first since they're quite distinct IMHO.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

end of act 2 spoilers: ketheric beings friends with neil gaiman and meat suit harley quinn and each of them having a magic crystal that controls a giant brain is pure d&d cheese and i am 100% down for it

I love love love that the dead three have this grand plan but in reality they are major gently caress ups in the cosmic sense to the point that other gods deal with them not even using their chosen. Just normal adventurers. The dead three being laughing stocks pleases me greatly

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Goddamn Halsin just carried the Baltazar fight :dogstare: Druids seem kinda cracked.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Druids, especially Moon Druid (which is what Halsin defaults too) are considered pretty drat strong, yes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I am bummed that Wild Shape does not allow you to use triggered Concentration spells like Call Lightning.

I thought I'd found One Weird Trick to making concentration checks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So uh with Jaheira in act 3 I killed Minsc's crew and the knocked him out and won the roll. Problem is while googling how to non-lethal kill people because I'd forgotten I read that any weapon that does elemental damage will do finish them off. I pass the turn with my MC as a result and minsc just went ham on jaheira to the point of outright killing her. This kind of hosed things up despite winning the roll to intimidate the emperor. I guess what I'm asking is if the elemental damage stuff is true and whether i should just focus on knocking him out first instead of killing the rest

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jose posted:

So uh with Jaheira in act 3 I killed Minsc's crew and the knocked him out and won the roll. Problem is while googling how to non-lethal kill people because I'd forgotten I read that any weapon that does elemental damage will do finish them off. I pass the turn with my MC as a result and minsc just went ham on jaheira to the point of outright killing her. This kind of hosed things up despite winning the roll to intimidate the emperor. I guess what I'm asking is if the elemental damage stuff is true and whether i should just focus on knocking him out first instead of killing the rest

It’s 100% true and what I did was finish off everyone else then have everyone get him down to about 20 hp and then have shadow heart and karlach finish him off with regular bows (I never used them for range anyway so I just stuck regular rear end ones in their slots)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Why do so many of the "throw party member under the bus" options pick on Astarion specifically it's so loving funny. (The Dark Urge) When the Urge demands you to kill your lover you can pretend that you like Astarion more.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mycot posted:

Why do so many of the "throw party member under the bus" options pick on Astarion specifically it's so loving funny. (The Dark Urge) When the Urge demands you to kill your lover you can pretend that you like Astarion more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5d87NwJq4&t=130s

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mycot posted:

Why do so many of the "throw party member under the bus" options pick on Astarion specifically it's so loving funny.

Astarion is a dick so you don't feel as guilty

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why would anyone choose a romantic interest other than Karlach, the obvious choice.

I struggle to pick someone else because in a game where most of the characters are assholes or generally cold when you first meet them, she's a sweet and friendly person basically immediately. Who then turns out to have a lot of trauma and attachment issues because of her lovely life that means she's basically a doormat if you treat her badly, but that's not obvious at first.

I'm glad that I managed to pick Astarion for my "Dudes Rock" playthrough though (Tav, Astarion, Gale, and Wyll) because his romance really fleshes out his character arc well, I didn't notice as much of a difference in Karlach's story arc when not romancing her. Don't get me wrong Astarion is toxic as hell and if you're attracted to people like that seek therapy to stop being attracted to red flags, but he has kind of a redemption arc that works really well with the romance, assuming you convince him to make the right decision at the end of his quest. Although it's hard to keep his approval up because the game does give you so many opportunities to take him down a peg and they're really funny.

I feel like I either want to see Lae'zel or Shadowheart's romance for the playthrough I just recently started, but on the other hand I'm playing a halfling and I feel like that would make interacting with Karlach really funny. I already had to Superman punch Aradin to reach his jaw.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jose posted:

I just did this for the first time a couple of days ago. He died the first time because Lae 'zel had the gloves that apply Reverberation and he presumably took damage from that. I reloaded and removed the gloves, and it worked, even though her sword applied 1d4 thunder damage on hit.

So the issue is maybe status effects that apply damage instead of weapon elemental damage itself

pthighs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 21, 2024

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just got to the first big durge run event
I have to say I giggled it the fact that you can choose to try and blame your parasite "Hey buddy was this you?"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

you know what is annoying

people being like 'lol i played as 4 gnomes and just did all the evil choices' 'here's how the underdark reacts to 50 INSANE DROWS'

no none of that happened and if it did, the only reasons you sat there and pushed yourself through it was for 'content', it's both agonising and boring to actually do

you played a more or less good whatever and agonised over all the difficult choices, like everybody else

these games are actually fun and the need to have a clickbait headline that is vaguely backed up is killing everything in life

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I struggle to pick someone else because in a game where most of the characters are assholes or generally cold when you first meet them, she's a sweet and friendly person basically immediately. Who then turns out to have a lot of trauma and attachment issues because of her lovely life that means she's basically a doormat if you treat her badly, but that's not obvious at first.

I'm glad that I managed to pick Astarion for my "Dudes Rock" playthrough though (Tav, Astarion, Gale, and Wyll) because his romance really fleshes out his character arc well, I didn't notice as much of a difference in Karlach's story arc when not romancing her. Don't get me wrong Astarion is toxic as hell and if you're attracted to people like that seek therapy to stop being attracted to red flags, but he has kind of a redemption arc that works really well with the romance, assuming you convince him to make the right decision at the end of his quest. Although it's hard to keep his approval up because the game does give you so many opportunities to take him down a peg and they're really funny.

I feel like I either want to see Lae'zel or Shadowheart's romance for the playthrough I just recently started, but on the other hand I'm playing a halfling and I feel like that would make interacting with Karlach really funny. I already had to Superman punch Aradin to reach his jaw.

By "the right decision" I assume you mean obtain a bonus-action 6d6 attack that heals you 6d6, gives you + 1 to saves, attacks, and ability checks, and gives the opponent -1 to the same.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

roomtone posted:

you know what is annoying

people being like 'lol i played as 4 gnomes and just did all the evil choices' 'here's how the underdark reacts to 50 INSANE DROWS'

no none of that happened and if it did, the only reasons you sat there and pushed yourself through it was for 'content', it's both agonising and boring to actually do

you played a more or less good whatever and agonised over all the difficult choices, like everybody else

these games are actually fun and the need to have a clickbait headline that is vaguely backed up is killing everything in life
One extremely clickbait BG3 account pops up on the sidebar from time to time and I ignore it as I continue listening to the extended mix of Raphael's Final Act.

(Actually haven't seen it in a while since I just ripped an MP4 and listen locally now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

By "the right decision" I assume you mean obtain a bonus-action 6d6 attack that heals you 6d6, gives you + 1 to saves, attacks, and ability checks, and gives the opponent -1 to the same.

I bet you didn't teach him that people should respect his consent because you wanted +2 strength, you monster.

Also I'm unable to make the evil choices even in a video game, so maybe I'm just weird.