Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rochallor posted:

Hold on a second, Solid Snake wrote the first two X-Men movies?

It's a small world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
wtf, it never came up before the movies???

It's one of those things that feels like it was always there, wild if Snake's right and he was the first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
silver age magneto's powers were very poorly defined. being immune to telepathy for no particular reason was par for the course.

also, magneto and xavier weren't originally old friends. they had no personal relationship until claremont retconned it in.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Heavy Metal posted:

That is interesting thanks, has the circuits thing been used in say the Claremont run onward? I saw somebody post about that from the 60s, not sure if that's still a thing. How about him using psychic powers in general?

IIRC, the first time Magneto's helmet had any special abilities or circuits was in X-Men vs Avengers (1987, no connection to Avengers vs X-Men), when it was basically used as an excuse to explain Magneto's otherwise inexplicable psychic abilities in a few Silver Age stories.

The idea hasn't been used much since then - even in that story, it was presented as a unique quality of one of his old helmets, not a standard feature.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It also took decades for Magneto to get an actual name.

In the backstory of him and Xavier he went by the alias Magnus (and appearntly it took a long time for Xavier to get a good look at Magneto's face minus helmet and recognize him as Magnus) in 1982. In 1998 they gave him the name Erik Lehnsherr which was treated as his name until 2008 were it was stated his birthname is Max Eisenhardt. He still mostly went by Erik in the comics, with it being what Xavier calls him. As far I know he only took the name Max back at the start of X-Men Red.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

MonsterEnvy posted:

In 1998 they gave him the name Erik Lehnsherr which was treated as his name until 2008 were it was stated his birthname is Max Eisenhardt.

Was there a good in- or out-of-universe reason for this retcon? I fuckin hate that name Eisenhardt, it's so on-the-nose bullshit I always assumed it was the original character name from the 60s.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It was changed to make it more Jewish - Eisenhardt is a real German-Jewish surname, while Lehnsherr doesn't seem to have ever been used as a real surname and is a medieval term for a feudal lord, so unlikely as the name of a middle-class Jewish family.

(And given that Eric means 'sole ruler' or 'unquestioned ruler', it's also a bit on-the-nose for the megalomaniac villain bent on world domination to have a name that's basically 'lord and master')

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Incidentally, "Erik Lehnsherr" was always actually intended to just be an alias that Magneto made up, even back in the 90s when it was first revealed. Like, they literally said "Magneto forged this identity when he was living with the Roma. Here's the guy who forged it." and showed it on-page. It was never intended to be his actual birth name, and the fact that people started treating it as so at some point was probably just another thing that the films popularized.

Apropos of nothing, Magneto Testament is a dang good book that people should read.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Incidentally, "Erik Lehnsherr" was always actually intended to just be an alias that Magneto made up, even back in the 90s when it was first revealed. Like, they literally said "Magneto forged this identity when he was living with the Roma. Here's the guy who forged it." and showed it on-page. It was never intended to be his actual birth name, and the fact that people started treating it as so at some point was probably just another thing that the films popularized.

Apropos of nothing, Magneto Testament is a dang good book that people should read.

Greg Pak baby the man knows how to make a comic

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well then, fair enough. They coulda picked literally any other name that didn't have the literal translation iron-hard though.
Also my name is Eric and I don't rule a god drat thing, that's not really a connection people make unless you're a thousand-year-old viking.
e: You're right though that it was just as on-the-nose a name as before. I just never made that "lord and master" connection before. Which, as an alias for a villain, I kinda love. So now I don't know what to feel! Thanks a lot!

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 19, 2024

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Should have named him Magnagar Netogon.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

glitchwraith posted:

Should have named him Magnagar Netogon.

I chortled.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Joe Fisto posted:

There’s a line in this week’s Iron Man from Forge that could be a new thread title.

I also liked "Time was, I could've taken a sentinel out with the contents of a single pouch" from Cable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Well then, fair enough. They coulda picked literally any other name that didn't have the literal translation iron-hard though.
Also my name is Eric and I don't rule a god drat thing, that's not really a connection people make unless you're a thousand-year-old viking.
e: You're right though that it was just as on-the-nose a name as before. I just never made that "lord and master" connection before. Which, as an alias for a villain, I kinda love. So now I don't know what to feel! Thanks a lot!

His power is magnetism of course his name is an iron pun. Are you gonna complain about Otto Octavius being too on the nose?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

His power is magnetism of course his name is an iron pun. Are you gonna complain about Otto Octavius being too on the nose?
I'll complain about that, sure! On the nose superhero/villain names seem to me like a remnant of campier days in the gold/silver/bronze ages and don't really fit into the tone of the same comics today.

I mean, it's fine to keep established names and I wouldn't retcon, say, Otto Octavius or something, but if I encounter a character for the first time in a modern comic that seems to take itself seriously and they're named like that I'll groan audibly. Like with Blackagar Boltagan, who I'm sure got that ridiculous name in the fifties or something, but whose name I first read in the last ten years or something in a modern book. Can't take it seriously, sorry.

Anyway, it seems a bit inconsistent how these names were given even then. Spider-Man is Peter Parker when his name could've been, uhh, Ben Arach maybe.

This post brought to you by oversleeping and migraine brain.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Stan Lee loved alliteration.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Names being on the nose in comic books loving own

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My name is Magneto, the MASTER of MAGNETISM and my real name is Bob Smith

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Diet Poison posted:

Well no it means Iron Heart.

I think Magneto also took Erik the Red's identity for a bit, so that was bit of fun coincidence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

My name is Magneto, the MASTER of MAGNETISM and my real name is Bob Smith

That's the sentry's name and he sucks, which proves this point

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You can't go wrong with a villain name. The alternative is you just give them regular names that sound fancy and slightly mysterious, like at Image we have say Angstrom Levy and Kenneth Irons. That is also good.

Everything can be funny when you think about it enough. For a bit I was making fun of the generic or cool sounding names main characters in action movies have. Stuff like Matt Hunter (Avenging Force), another Matt Hunter (Invasion USA), Roland Dalton (Shakedown), Joe Armstrong (American Ninja), Eden Sinclair (Doomsday), Douglas Gordon (Godzilla: Final Wars), I could go on. Names in fiction are often funny, so an overtly funny name is also good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Deacon St. John

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gologle posted:

Names being on the nose in comic books loving own

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Imagine if they tried to change Dr. Doom's name because Victor Von Doom is too on the nose.

Oh wait they tried to do that for the last lovely FF movie and it pissed people off so much they had to put it back.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Should have been Doctagar Doomagon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Imagine if they tried to change Dr. Doom's name because Victor Von Doom is too on the nose.

Oh wait they tried to do that for the last lovely FF movie and it pissed people off so much they had to put it back.

They did for Ultimate Dr. Doom, too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

Should have been Doctagar Doomagon.

This feels like the name of a MF Doom/Kool Keith collab that we never got

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Wasn't Ultimate Doom named Victor Van Damme? Ridiculous name. Totally unbelievable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Wasn't Ultimate Doom named Victor Van Damme? Ridiculous name. Totally unbelievable.

Yup

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Immortal X-Men Judgement Day tie in where Nightcrawler gets killed a dozen times is really good especially remembering how much he didn't want to die even with immortality a couple years ago.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rick posted:

The Immortal X-Men Judgement Day tie in where Nightcrawler gets killed a dozen times is really good especially remembering how much he didn't want to die even with immortality a couple years ago.

That, Moira X, and the Davos issue are probably my favorites of the entire Krakoa era.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Brooks Cracktackle

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

danbanana posted:

That, Moira X, and the Davos issue are probably my favorites of the entire Krakoa era.

Davos is the only single issue I've bought for myself in ages because it’s so loving great. All five of the mutants have at least one completely banger line each. One of the greatest talky issues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
What were the Moira and Davis issues I think I missed those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

What were the Moira and Davis issues I think I missed those.

Davos was issue 6 or so of the initial Hickman run of X-Men where Xavier, Magneto and Apocalypse go to the Davos world economics forum

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Alaois posted:

Deacon St. John

The bass player from Queen?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

Davos was issue 6 or so of the initial Hickman run of X-Men where Xavier, Magneto and Apocalypse go to the Davos world economics forum

Oh for some reason I was thinking of Devo the guy who is the technical Orchis leader.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh. i was not expecting resurrection of magneto to be about a metaphysical journey through the afterlife.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Beast is back, in Defenders form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We now have regular Beast, and Darkest Beast.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 25, 2024