Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finished Sonic Prime, that was way better than I initially expected when it was announced and the voice cast was really good for the most part (though Vincent Tong really should have just played regular Knuckles in addition to his counterparts). The ending was a bit abrupt but I had a good time overall

Probably one of the better depictions of Shadow we’ve had in a while as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Prime was a good time, I'd definitely like to see more. Perhaps they could have alternate Sonics next time as well. The final season in particular is really pretty as well, there's a lot of great visual design on display.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Prime was a good time, I'd definitely like to see more. Perhaps they could have alternate Sonics next time as well. The final season in particular is really pretty as well, there's a lot of great visual design on display.

It might have been nice to see a few other Sonic characters pop up here and there as well. But yeah, I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing this voice cast come back for another round or two someday (the flashbacks to the Sonic 2 intro from Origins and Advance 3 were neat too). Though I’d personally ditch the OG Knuckles actor and have the guy who played most of his AU counterparts take over full time

Ian Flynn apparently had a hand in this show as well which explains a lot

I’m actually kind of tempted to rewatch this show in Japanese one day since that apparently uses the same voice cast as the games

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 14, 2024

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

It might have been nice to see a few other Sonic characters pop up here and there as well. But yeah, I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing this voice cast come back for another round or two someday (the flashbacks to the Sonic 2 intro from Origins and Advance 3 were neat too). Though I’d personally ditch the OG Knuckles actor and have the guy who played most of his AU counterparts take over full time

Ian Flynn apparently had a hand in this show as well which explains a lot

I’m actually kind of tempted to rewatch this show in Japanese one day since that apparently uses the same voice cast as the games

I'm hoping its successful enough to warrant a follow-up and it would be really fun to both get more alternate universe Sonic character variants and some more mainline cast members showing up. I think I mentioned it before, but I believe one of the major advantages the alternate universe format presented for a CGI cartoon like this was allowing them to have a larger cast of characters without incurring the additional expense of having to design and rig a bunch of new characters up, which is I think probably why we didn't see more of Sonic's supporting cast, but if they get a follow up series or second season they might get the resources to expand out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that the Amys formed a sisterly bond with one another and Metal Big was cool (as was his pirate version talking like a sophisticated English gentleman briefly after getting hit on the head).

I kind of wish Rouge got a world where she was the star though I suppose you could argue that her, Tails, and Eggman kind of shared New Yoke

Also I just started a rewatch with the Japanese dub because I felt like it, there’s a lot of good old fashioned Engrish from Jun'ichi and hearing Ryō Hirohashi play a more aggressive version of Tails is a weird experience (looking forward to seeing how they handle the pirate characters).

Apparently Eggman’s current Japanese VA Kotaro Nakamura has been having some health problems as of late and according to the wiki had to be recast in Prime Season 3

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Also we didn't get enough of my boys: Orbot and Cubot. I cannot overstate how important it is that Eggman have a pair of bumbling minions to play off of.

Something I've also just realized: It feels like, for every new media tie-in property we've gotten over the past decade it seems like each of them do a really good job in their portrayals of a handful of recurring characters, while having problems with at least one other.

The IDW comic is the most solid in terms of character writing overall, though it's handling of Shadow has admittedly not been the best overall (I blame the Sega execs) and I've never been as big a fan of Eggman as being a more serious villain the comics have always leaned into.
The Boom TV series does a terrible job with Shadow, and takes a lot of advantage of being its own separate continuity when it comes to some of the cast's personalities, but does an absolutely amazing job with Eggman, Orbot & Cubot and Tails.
Prime sort of drops the ball on their version of Eggman, but is probably the best Shadow we've seen in years (Barring his appearances in the Twitter Takeovers, which I maintain are the best possible uses of Shadow in the modern continuity).

What I'm saying is is that it feels like we're inching closer and closer to the perfect Sonic adaptation, we just need the execs to actually learn from past experiences...Or get the team who wrote The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog to make the series, that game had probably the best character writing we've seen in a Sonic game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Boom’s defense I think hyper edgelord Shadow was kind of the joke in that instance (Knuckles was made extra dumb in that series as well though he was still entertaining at least)

But yeah, in literally every Sonic adaption (including the OVA and live action movies) Eggman was given a sidekick/minion of some kind though I guess the Chaos Council was sort of the Prime equivalent

Also I forget, did any actual Sega staff work on Murder or was it just licensed by them?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

KingKalamari posted:

Also we didn't get enough of my boys: Orbot and Cubot. I cannot overstate how important it is that Eggman have a pair of bumbling minions to play off of.

Been saying this

The cartoon writers knew this back in the nineties, why did it take the games another 20 years to catch up?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Larryb posted:

Also I forget, did any actual Sega staff work on Murder or was it just licensed by them?

It was made by the Sonic brand media team, it's called "Sega Social Team" according to wikipedia, and I remember Katie Chrzanowski (the current social media manager) tweeting that she was involved in making it. Still Sega just not Sonic team themselves.

That said, I agree, that game had much better character writing for everyone involved imo. I unironically want to see more stuff like that so I hope it's not a one off joke.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ventana posted:

It was made by the Sonic brand media team, it's called "Sega Social Team" according to wikipedia, and I remember Katie Chrzanowski (the current social media manager) tweeting that she was involved in making it. Still Sega just not Sonic team themselves.

That said, I agree, that game had much better character writing for everyone involved imo. I unironically want to see more stuff like that so I hope it's not a one off joke.

Then they should get some of them to work on a proper game one day since they clearly seem to have a handle on the characters (a console port of Murder wouldn’t be bad either. Hell, since its mostly point and click I’d even take a mobile version for that matter)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seasons of Chaos was exactly what I wanted out of a Sonic comic. It's like something you would imagine after playing too much Sega Genesis.

Scrapnik Island and Impostor Syndrome I'll have to get around to at some point.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WindiiGitlord/status/1748255009001595207

Someone found a Japanese magazine covering the Sonic 1 Tokyo toy show demo. The images are clear allowing more detail to be seen like on the Welcome sign

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It also shows what appears to be an unused badnik (or at least one I don’t remember seeing in prototype material before)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 19, 2024

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh hey, it's That Guy

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

For sale, welcome sign, never open.

Also Sonic getting mad air over That Guy in his walking animation.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yuji Naka said the sign says "never seen" but he might be some kind of fraudster.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He was just squinting at the same blurry jpeg as the rest of us. Truly a man of the people

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems Hayden Christensen is currently rumored to be playing Shadow in the next movie

https://mynintendonews.com/2024/01/20/rumour-hayden-christensen-to-play-shadow-in-sonic-movie-3/

Having seen some of his non Star Wars prequel work I actually think I’d be ok with this to be perfectly honest

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Larryb posted:

Seems Hayden Christensen is currently rumored to be playing Shadow in the next movie

https://mynintendonews.com/2024/01/20/rumour-hayden-christensen-to-play-shadow-in-sonic-movie-3/

Having seen some of his non Star Wars prequel work I actually think I’d be ok with this to be perfectly honest

This is perfect, I love it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Larryb posted:

There doesn't seem to be any source on this other than a tweet (with no sources) but it's an incredible idea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mycot posted:

There doesn't seem to be any source on this other than a tweet (with no sources) but it's an incredible idea.

Yeah, like I said it’s literally nothing more than a rumor currently but it’s not a bad choice either

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SHADOW: I'm going to learn the truth about my past.
SONIC: And you're not going to side with Black Doom?
SHADOW:
SONIC: You're not going to side with Black Doom, right?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Never would've guessed it'd be him but honestly, I can totally see that working

Also I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but that link led me to discover that storyboard snippets for Sonic 3 and the Knuckles show were leaked earlier this month. Paramount's been pretty vigilant about taking them down as they pop up but you may run into a description if you're not careful. Mildest, most predictable of spoilers for Sonic 3: it does indeed appear to be drawing pretty heavily from SA2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Never would've guessed it'd be him but honestly, I can totally see that working

Also I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but that link led me to discover that storyboard snippets for Sonic 3 and the Knuckles show were leaked earlier this month. Paramount's been pretty vigilant about taking them down as they pop up but you may run into a description if you're not careful. Mildest, most predictable of spoilers for Sonic 3: it does indeed appear to be drawing pretty heavily from SA2.

Any sign of Amy and/or Rouge out of curiosity?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Larryb posted:

Any sign of Amy and/or Rouge out of curiosity?

Not from the description I read (I haven't seen the actual storyboard) but from the SA2 elements in the description I'd say it's almost certain they'll be making an appearance

A bit more spoilery: The ARK is involved, Shadow appears to be able to use Chaos Control, and there's seemingly a shot of Eggman, Tails, and Knuckles working together. Definitely some strong SA2 story beats, though there are other shots not from the game.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The most important question: Will the BioLizard shove the ARK up its rear end?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Been listening to the Retronauts three part (three!) series on Sonic 3 and Knuckles really makes me want to play these games again. Haven't touched them since I played them at my pals house when I was a teenager.

What's the best way to play these these days?

A quick glance reveals that the impressions of Sonic Origins is very mixed.

Emulation or tracking down the real hardware?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think(?) Origins is mostly patched at this point but the proest move remains Sonic 1 Forever/Sonic 2 Absolute/Sonic 3 Angel Island Revisited.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Sonic Origins is Fine, if you want the Brad Buxer music there's a mod for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mycot posted:

I heard from a reliable source that it's gonna be Nicholas Cage.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I haven't been following news about it at all, did they convince Carrey to continue as Eggman, or has he been re-cast? I remember hearing that Carrey said he wouldn't be returning, which doesn't surprise me. I remember him not liking doing sequels back in the day.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

BlazetheInferno posted:

I haven't been following news about it at all, did they convince Carrey to continue as Eggman, or has he been re-cast? I remember hearing that Carrey said he wouldn't be returning, which doesn't surprise me. I remember him not liking doing sequels back in the day.

Carrey never said that and he’s in the leaked concept art for Sonic 3, so I assume he’s back.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rumor has it that a Sonic Generations remaster with additional Shadow content is getting announced during State of Play tomorrow

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And they'll definitely be delisting the original so if you want access to all those mods, get it now

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dehry posted:

Rumor has it that a Sonic Generations remaster with additional Shadow content is getting announced during State of Play tomorrow

It took a decade for the Colors rerelease. So we're a bit overdue, a 3 years out from a Forces remaster.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Where's my Unleashed remaster you cowards.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
remaster 2006

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

remaster 2006

Better yet, hire the Project 06 guys and make that official

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sonic X Shadow Generations just got announced at State of Play. It gave a website, shadowgenerations.com, which currently just goes to a 403.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1752817294135476462

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

Sonic X Shadow Generations just got announced at State of Play. It gave a website, shadowgenerations.com, which currently just goes to a 403.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1752817294135476462

Looks like Shadow’s got his own unique stages/bosses as well (I saw Black Doom and Biolizard in the trailer) and this will be coming to all platforms

Also rumors seem to be saying that the new mode isn’t the only addition to the game:

https://gamingbolt.com/sonic-x-shadow-generations-has-a-new-story-and-levels-rumor/amp

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 31, 2024