Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Rental places generally have name brand (likely Honda) vs Harbor Freight knock offs, but totally get you, if you need to use it more than 2-3 times, probably better to just buy one.

Worth noting that the quality on the gas 2" semi-trash HF pump is perfectly cromulent. It's a Honda clone, sure, but the Predator Honda clones are pretty drat good these days. I had one for a while as part of a janky-as-gently caress sprinkler setup my house's PO set up; the main problem I had with it was the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

The imgur thumbnail links do weird stuff.

This is what he posted.

Which is why we must now call him crimp daddy

Thanks. I was on my phone, so limited in what I could do.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody have experience with ice augers? Preferences? I’m looking to drill one hole at a time, maybe four or so times total over a season, so I’m really leaning toward hand augers. I doubt I’d ever get going through more than a foot of ice at a time, and I’d only need a 6” hole.

The other option is an auger bit that can attach to a hand drill.

Anyway, tell me about your experience with augers.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anybody have experience with ice augers? Preferences? I’m looking to drill one hole at a time, maybe four or so times total over a season, so I’m really leaning toward hand augers. I doubt I’d ever get going through more than a foot of ice at a time, and I’d only need a 6” hole.

The other option is an auger bit that can attach to a hand drill.

Hand auger, cheapest you can get with replaceable blades. I bought this one for a similar use case, took me about 40 seconds to go through 16 inches of ice. Deeply satisfying too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So my 8 gallon Harbor Freight air compressor didn't want to come on yesterday, and before I found the breaker reset button (after I'd removed the 6 screws that hold on the cover :bang:) I went looking at a replacement on craigslist. Unfortunately, my wife told me I couldn't get this 50hp rotary screw compressor complete with refrigerated line drier. I'm sure I could get a pretty decent compressor just for the price of running 480v three-phase to a residential address though.

The post says only 179cfm even though the tag says 183. Its nice to see someone under-promising on craigslist.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I've only ever used hand augers. Like skybolt posted, they're fast and satisfying to use (at least until you try to get through the later parts of a meter of ice since they become less ergonomic to turn the lower you get). Blade condition is key. They should be razor sharp and ground just so. Dull blades, or a set of blades that have been sharpened at the wrong angle, or any blade issues you can think of means you'll have a really bad time. With some kind of motorized auger I assume you can put pressure on the thing and overcome the ice with brute force to a greater extent but when you're cranking away by hand this isn't really practical so if the cutting edges aren't cutting right it will be a pain or outright impossible to get through the ice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Someone's selling a used floor jack near me and I am in need of purchasing a bigger floor jack and jackstands right now. Been putting it off...

Anyone have any opinions on this? I can't ID it and the seller is a woman selling her husbands tools who don't know anything. It's pretty large, 1.4m or 4½> feet.

I'm not sure if I should go buy a new one from our harbor freight analog, or some second hand stuff like the above. Problem is it's completely unknown to me what this is, aside from a larger than usual jack. The 3 ton jacks in stores are smaller than this, usually less than a meter long.

e: it might be so large that it won't go under a regular car I realize too, in which case I don't have much use for it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 23, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've come to my senses and realized the jack is just way too large to keep around my small shop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I believe that is a Nike 3 ton jack, likely from the 70s or 80s. Possibly a 303HC

https://media.hcrcnow.com/uploads/drawings/viking303hcfloorjack3ton.pdf

I've just been on this adventure with some 5 ton long chassis jacks i bought at auction. Identifying them was tough. Finding a few specific parts tougher(and expensive). An older jack might be easier with fewer bespoke internal parts. The price would have to be very right.

These were basically free after scrapping the other stuff i got in the lot with them. rebuild kits are ~$160.

Fortunately, one works perfectly, unfortunately the other one leaks like a bastard.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've come to my senses and realized the jack is just way too large to keep around my small shop.

They can be a bit unwieldy but being able to put the saddle right on the front crossmember without crawling under the car is sooooooooo nice. Especially for a 19 foot long car with a 10 foot wheelbase.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 23, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You're tempting me now...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

For most people the harbour freight(or equivalent low profile jack is probably the better choice.

I just deal with a heavy, long car, and a heavy, long truck.

With my old jack until it got up in the air i could only swing the pump arm like 10 degrees and releasing a 4 ton jack holding up 3000lbs was sketchy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kind of a hijack, but I hate it when companies hide common industry standard part #s with made up internal part #s that mean nothing on their drawings/parts lists.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I got that dumb poo poo going on with a Toro snowblower.

Long story short, lost the coarse screws for the shield, back panel so can't run to hardware store and compare.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Unless the things you are working on are both exceptionally huge and old, this is the right choice. I've never had a problem with a HF Daytona jack not being able to reach in far enough; the issue with stuff like my Canyon isn't that the jacking point is too far away from the bumper, it's that there's no longer a single crossmember strong enough to be a valid jacking point up front.

Even something like my lowered C10 where the front jacking point is just far enough back that you're doing the initial pumping with the jack handle limited by the front bumper, the actual amount of time "lost" doing that is pretty small. You'd lose more time wrangling that monster of a jack around the floor than you'd save lifting a vehicle 30 seconds quicker.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Kind of a hijack, but I hate it when companies hide common industry standard part #s with made up internal part #s that mean nothing on their drawings/parts lists.

Especially handy after they go out of business.

I need a flaring tool but I'm incredibly cheap. most of the tools out there have 1 and 2 star ratings for being poo poo. What do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

I need a flaring tool but I'm incredibly cheap. most of the tools out there have 1 and 2 star ratings for being poo poo. What do.

That's because they are in fact all poo poo unless you're willing to pony up $300+ on a hydraulic one. With as little as I flare anything other than cunifer lines (which are soft and easy to flare) I just resign myself to having to tighten the hell out of the barn on one of the cheap ones with pliers for each crimp. And then to throw it away and buy a new one as soon as the ridges start wearing away (that are supposed to hold the line).

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
So even spending some more on one of the nicer ones like the k-tool with the 37 and 45 degree dies isn't worth it?

I need one and would use it but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify one of the good ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

So even spending some more on one of the nicer ones like the k-tool with the 37 and 45 degree dies isn't worth it?

I need one and would use it but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify one of the good ones.

I mean.........those are what $170? And a cheap no-name hydraulic is $200, and a mastrercool is $330.

Choose your own poison, but if I was willing to spend $170 on a tool like this I'd be tempted first to just spend $330 and be done with but before pulling the trigger I's get all intrigued about the all caps amazon brands at $200.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Don't fuckin bother with this piece of trash, I spent $66 on it in 2016 just so I'd have it when I needed to do ISO bubble flares and it's hotdog water. Absolute waste of money. I only found that out 25 miles from home needing to do a bubble flare naturally. At least I hadn't pulled the truck apart yet so I just cancelled the project for that day and bought a preflared line to cut in half and do the easy 45 degree flares on the other ends with my OEM 24364 I've been using for a decade.

If the tool you're looking at on Amazon looks like that one, just spend that hundred or so dollars on lottery tickets or something, it's less of a waste than the tool. But I'll happily sell you my ATD flaring tool set for just 50 if you want to roll some loaded dice.

Oh and the issue is the dies, so it's not even like it'll be half useful. The whole thing is trash. All it did was booger up the end of my line repeatedly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H2W0ZCW

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

OEM 24364

This is what I was going to recommend but given that it's out of stock at Amazon and Summit (and not even listed most other places) I suspect it's out of production.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is what I was going to recommend but given that it's out of stock at Amazon and Summit (and not even listed most other places) I suspect it's out of production.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185977774287
3 left

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah it's been out of stock everywhere I've seen other than that eBay listing for over a year sadly. I only still have the number memorized because of who I am as a person, not because it's actually useful info.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Last fall I bought a pretty nice old bench vise I found on the local CL equivalent from a woman who was selling off her deceased father's garage full of tools. It was a mix of nice old brand name stuff and cheap junk, and while looking in vain for an oxyacetylene shower tip for brazing I've been wanting I instead found a bunch of other plumber stuff and bought a well used RIDGID tubing cutter for a tenner in addition to the vise thinking it would come in handy at some point. That point was recently as I'm cutting a bunch of tiny 5 and 6 mm brass tube for a 3d print project. The cutter did it like a champ, just perfect, so much better than the hacksaw or dremel I used before thinking of the cutter. The rollers didn't damage anything on the outside and the disc was even sharp and without nicks or anything. Not a hint of spiralling like cheap cutters sometimes do. Such a nice tool, made me happy and it's all mine just for me now. That's my story thanks for reading.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
looks like costco's beast is back

idk how they compare to the daytona, since i got mine before those were available or well known, but mine has been great so far.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

After doing a lot of comparisons I'm most likely getting this one (english link), as well as their 3 ton jack stands on the basis they're the only ones with an additional safety pin, the other brands are just the one lever.

https://www.biltema.fi/en-fi/car---mc/workshop-equipment/lifting-equipment/car-jacks/low-profile-jack-2500kg--2000044394

Good price, low profile and 510mm lift height, that's more than most.

https://www.biltema.fi/en-fi/car---mc/workshop-equipment/lifting-equipment/axle-stands/axle-stand-3000-kg-pair-2000050380

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Raluek posted:

looks like costco's beast is back

idk how they compare to the daytona, since i got mine before those were available or well known, but mine has been great so far.

IIRC from project farm the Arcan one he tested was drat good. Better than the Daytona on some tasks but way more expensive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love the project farm guy. This thread got me into his channel.

A guy I train taekwondo with is a dead ringer for him. I wanted to get him a PF shirt and wireframe glasses and go around shouting "VERY IMPRESSIVE" at a halloween, but that's pretty obscure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

A guy I train taekwondo with is a dead ringer for him. I wanted to get him a PF shirt and wireframe glasses and go around shouting "VERY IMPRESSIVE" at a halloween, but that's pretty obscure.

I'd laugh my rear end off at that.

The only reason I swapped from the older Costco Arcan Hybrid jack to the Daytona Yellow is the extra lift height the Daytona has, and that was only something I wanted once I started working on lifted Jeeps. They were also a lot closer in price back then - the Daytona Super Duty is more than twice that price now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My favorite thing about Project Farm is that he shows his methodology and shows all his data so I know if a test was perhaps too sketchy and I can prioritize different results.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got an Arcan jack from Costco... 10? Years ago, really is a great jack. I think it was $120 back then, so not too bad on inflation considering everything else. One of those workhorses in the garage tool world that just works and I haven't had a need to consider a replacement or upgrade. Raises quick, lowers controlled, good height and low profile. Basically I think when it comes to jacks like this there's not much variation in quality and I'd probably rather have $10 savings than a jack that takes two less pumps to full height.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Will it lift higher than the Daytona 2 ton? That's the one I have, and I sometimes have trouble getting the tires of the Outback off the ground.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

What is the correct number of jacks to own? For my pleab automotive requirements I have have one low profile HF 3 tone jack and one 6 ton bottle jack that came to me via an old Nissan Hardbody.

Anyone here use a mid-rise scissor lift? I’m on the verge of ordering one. The downside of needing to build a platform around it seems worth the extra lift height over say quickjacks.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

ThirstyBuck posted:

What is the correct number of jacks to own? For my pleab automotive requirements I have have one low profile HF 3 tone jack and one 6 ton bottle jack that came to me via an old Nissan Hardbody.

Anyone here use a mid-rise scissor lift? I’m on the verge of ordering one. The downside of needing to build a platform around it seems worth the extra lift height over say quickjacks.

I get surprising use out of a machinery / toe jack for dumb household stuff. Like a bottlejack with a convenient base/ little finger on the bottom to jam under stuff.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Safety Dance posted:

Will it lift higher than the Daytona 2 ton? That's the one I have, and I sometimes have trouble getting the tires of the Outback off the ground.

Product Details

The Arcan 3.0 Ton Professional Series Steel service jack is built to last. Made with all steel construction this jack will provide long term durability. Designed for use at home or a repair shop, this jack delivers the lifting capacity you need to get the job done. It features a low entry design for low ground clearance needs. This jack also has a high lift height of 19.7 inches which gets you the height you need for sport utility vehicles. With a capacity of 3.0 tons, this is the perfect jack for both cars and trucks. Whether you're a professional mechanic or a do-it-yourselfer, the Arcan 3.0 Ton jack has what it takes to make any lifting job easier. The Arcan XL3000 is also designed to meet the latest ASME PASE Lifting Equipment standard.

Features:

All Steel Construction
Safety valve prevents overloading
Dual pump pistons for rapid lifting to the load
Dual return springs
Rubber saddle pad protects underside of vehicle
3.0 Ton lifting capacity

Dimensions:

Min. Lift Height: 3"
Max. Lift Height: 19.7"
Weight: 78.2 lbs.
Caster Wheel Size: 2.3" x 1.1"
Front Wheel Size: 2.3" x 1.9"
Saddle Diameter: 4.5"
Handle Length: 45"
Overall Dimensions: 29.1" x 13.7"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'd have to say three. Trolley jack, bottle jack, and a farm jack.

And if you find yourself in the position to need a transmission jack, then get that.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

StormDrain posted:

I'd have to say three. Trolley jack, bottle jack, and a farm jack.

And if you find yourself in the position to need a transmission jack, then get that.

Buy a beefier trans jack than you think you need, the light ones from harbor freight are marginal on a go kart transmission.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The 800lb HF one has done well every time I've needed it, so far the most I've lifted was 300lb of nv4500 and np241d but it handled it great.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

This is what I’m talking about.

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mid-rise-scissor-lifts/md-6xp/

It comes in a bunch of different colors with different names on the side but they all seem to be largely the same.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

Try hucking a scrap piece of 2x4 over the jacking arm and it should do well getting it up at the lifting points on the Outback. At least that's worked pretty well for me with the Daytona

Unrelated tidbit on jack chat - a farm jack is tits for popping posts out of the ground, concrete plug and all! Struggled mightily with a winch, pickaxe, and what have you, but a length of chain looped around the base of the fence post and a few pumps on the tractor jack just popped all the fence posts up and out when I replaced my fence awhile back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Catatron Prime posted:

Try hucking a scrap piece of 2x4 over the jacking arm and it should do well getting it up at the lifting points on the Outback. At least that's worked pretty well for me with the Daytona

Unrelated tidbit on jack chat - a farm jack is tits for popping posts out of the ground, concrete plug and all! Struggled mightily with a winch, pickaxe, and what have you, but a length of chain looped around the base of the fence post and a few pumps on the tractor jack just popped all the fence posts up and out when I replaced my fence awhile back!

Excellent move. I did that when I demolished my back deck, pulling up a two feet long plug of concrete was so simple, with the downside of what do I do with it now.