Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
You really shouldn't skip Timelash, even if it's just for Paul Darrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thank you for all the episode recs everyone. I was just coming here to ask if there's a watch/skip guide and this seems like a good start. I watched modern season one and two back when they aired, then never picked the show up again. Looking to catch up!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay so I can already tell that Deadly Assassin is going to be a good one.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

lines posted:

You really shouldn't skip Timelash, even if it's just for Paul Darrow.

Everyone should watch Timelash to see Paul Darrow as he clearly realized the script was a steaming load; and so decided that rather than merely phone in his role, he was going to have some fun, and do his best "Olivier as Richard III" with it instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm loving this episode set on Galifrey and I'm not sure but I think this skeletor looking guy is The Master.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Everyone should watch Timelash to see Paul Darrow as he clearly realized the script was a steaming load; and so decided that rather than merely phone in his role, he was going to have some fun, and do his best "Olivier as Richard III" with it instead.

He truly does some Acting.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Counterpoint: The Gunfighters is loving great, especially the song.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not a massive Old-hu fan, but surprised Troughton's Tomb of the Cybermen wasn't mentioned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hollismason posted:

I'm loving this episode set on Galifrey and I'm not sure but I think this skeletor looking guy is The Master.

Love this story for being the first introduction of the infallible, simply cannot have its information faked Matrix, the same one that is used by the Master for the Timeless Child reveal to the Doctor in season 12. Love this story even more for showing that the Matrix evidence CAN be faked. By the Master!

Infinitum posted:

Not a massive Old-hu fan, but surprised Troughton's Tomb of the Cybermen wasn't mentioned.

I made the reasonable assumption that everybody in the world wakes up in the morning and watches Tomb of the Cybermen just as a given before they go about the rest of their day v:shobon:v

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watch Tomb of the Cybermen

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Love this story for being the first introduction of the infallible, simply cannot have its information faked Matrix, the same one that is used by the Master for the Timeless Child reveal to the Doctor in season 12. Love this story even more for showing that the Matrix evidence CAN be faked. By the Master!

I made the reasonable assumption that everybody in the world wakes up in the morning and watches Tomb of the Cybermen just as a given before they go about the rest of their day v:shobon:v

I don't have time for all that. I just watch the scene where the Cybermen awaken from their frozen tombs.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
You cannot enter the tomb! It's far too dangerous! Hang on, I'll just open it up for you...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I don't have time for all that. I just watch the scene where the Cybermen awaken from their frozen tombs.

What about the "WE MUZZZT SURVIVE!" scene with the closing door!?! :ohdear:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay so why aren't these Time Lords that are being killed in The Deadly Assassin not regenerating into new people?

edit:

Okay The Deadly Assassins was real loving good. Surprising episode to because no companions and everyone was Time Lords. The Master was super loving creepy which makes me wnat to go back and watch the old episodes where the Master Appears.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 21, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Though it isn't stated, my assumption is that the deaths are in some way circumventing regeneration (or in some cases may involve Time Lords on their final incarnation), because the alternative is that Robert Holmes just forgot they can regenerate, which wouldn't make sense given the driving motivation for the Master is trying to gain a new cycle of regenerations!

Then again, he did (against all the rules) script edit his own story so maybe there was nobody around to point this out to him!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jerusalem posted:

Though it isn't stated, my assumption is that the deaths are in some way circumventing regeneration (or in some cases may involve Time Lords on their final incarnation), because the alternative is that Robert Holmes just forgot they can regenerate, which wouldn't make sense given the driving motivation for the Master is trying to gain a new cycle of regenerations!

Then again, he did (against all the rules) script edit his own story so maybe there was nobody around to point this out to him!

It just doesn't make sense why all of the time lords are on their last incarnations or can't regenerate. Specifically like the guards and poo poo that get killed. They should regenerate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Again, it's left to the viewer to do the heavy lifting since the show doesn't address it at all, but growing up watching these episodes it made me assume that the Time Lords of Gallifrey were a very specific subset of the wider population, and people like the guards must be "normal" Gallifreyans who only have one life etc.

This ends up getting more complicated by the reveal that there is ANOTHER subset of people who live outside of the Citadel (they have a ridiculous name like "Shaboogans" or something like that) but the impression (for me at least) is of a very class-conscious society where the top are an elite privileged few, and THOSE are the Time Lords.

Just to further stress, I'm agreeing with you that it doesn't really make any sense as presented in the show and the viewer has to try and make sense of it themselves. My assumption is that Holmes either forgot or simply thought it served the story better to just have death be a final thing for the non-Doctor/non-Master characters and figured that only a minority of the viewers were going to think about it any deeper than what was being presented on screen, and it wasn't like people would be able to easily go back and rewatch these old episodes at their leisure in the future anyway!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I mean a lot of the episodes usually have some contrivance or plot hole. They're still enjoyable though. I've moved onto The Face of Evil. I've got tomorrow off and all day to chill and watch episodes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
A far simpler and more sensible explanation would be that the Time Lords just developed weapons that can kill other Time Lords permanently, by inhibiting their ability to regenerate. That was the assumption I had when I watched The Deadly Assassin, Arc of Infinity, The Five Doctors, etc.

E: also, it's important to remember that the Doctor in the classic series wasn't a superhero like he tends to be written as in NuWho, and could very easily die by getting shot, blown up, electrocuted, etc. The ability to regenerate hadn't yet become the "Get Out of Death Free" card it has become in the modern series, and there were many things in the classic series that were presented as being able to kill the Doctor outright, Time Lord tech or no. Hell, he even tells Jo in The Mind of Evil that taking certain medicines that work fine on humans might wind up killing him instead.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 21, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
delete

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A far simpler and more sensible explanation would be that the Time Lords just developed weapons that can kill other Time Lords permanently, by inhibiting their ability to regenerate. That was the assumption I had when I watched The Deadly Assassin, Arc of Infinity, The Five Doctors, etc.

Yeah, this might be EU stuff (but I think it's one of those things that filtered back into the show itself) but a timelord can be killed outright by decapitation, disintegration or the destruction of both their hearts. Maybe those guards were being staser shot through both hearts at once?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I can think of at least one weapon in the show that can explicitly kill Time Lords hard enough that they can't regenerate: The one Master Saxon uses on Missy in The Doctor Falls.

...of course, she survives it anyhow, because that's what the Master does.

I think we also see that if a Time Lord is like, killed a second time while they're trying to regenerate from the first death, it interrupts the regeneration process and just leaves them dead? But I forget if we ever see that happen for real or if that was only ever done with Mecha Eleven.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, this might be EU stuff (but I think it's one of those things that filtered back into the show itself) but a timelord can be killed outright by decapitation, disintegration or the destruction of both their hearts. Maybe those guards were being staser shot through both hearts at once?

River mentions in Forests of the Dead "It'll burn out both your hearts, you won't regenerate" and in The Impossible Astronaut his regeneration gets interrupted by being shot during the process.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Perhaps the most disturbing one for me, even if it wasn't technically the regeneration being stopped, was in Turn Left where the Doctor is drowned by the Thames refilling and drowns multiple times until he stops regenerating.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jerusalem posted:

I do feel like both Tomb of the Cybermen and City of Death would be interesting watches for someone coming from NuWho.

CoD because the period where Douglas Adams was script editor was pretty much Rusty's inspiration for the general tone of NuWho, and TotC because Matt Smith was the first Doctor in a long while to have grown up without watching the classic show, so it was what Moffat showed him as motivational material (and Smith loved it and asked if he could have a bow tie in his costume).

I can see the argument that watching more Tom Baker beforehand to understand the context of CoD might be useful, though. For what it's worth, I watched it without watching any other T.Bakes first and it was fine, I feel like I picked up the general context well enough. But yeah, might need some preamble for others, I dunno.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 21, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Best acting Matt Smith ever did was pretending he hadn't seen it before, given he's actually Patrick Troughton's spirit occupying a Frankenstein body. They really didn't even bother trying to hide it, Wendy Padbury was his agent!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

The mention of Paul Darrow chewing the scenery has reminded me of this amazing five seconds from the inexplicable TV game show version of Clue/Cluedo from the 90s:

https://x.com/poynterton/status/1518706541817384964?s=20

I highly recommend every season and special of that show except the 4th, where it ran up against the early 1990s obsession with really awkward and gross attempts at smut.

All of them are available on YouTube. Full of actors anyone even passingly familiar with British TV would recognize.

Tom Baker is Professor Plum in the 3rd, David McCallum played Plum in the 2nd, and a young Kristoffer Tabori played him in the 1st, over a decade before he was the voice of HK-47 in KOTOR.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I can think of at least one weapon in the show that can explicitly kill Time Lords hard enough that they can't regenerate: The one Master Saxon uses on Missy in The Doctor Falls.

...of course, she survives it anyhow, because that's what the Master does.

I think we also see that if a Time Lord is like, killed a second time while they're trying to regenerate from the first death, it interrupts the regeneration process and just leaves them dead? But I forget if we ever see that happen for real or if that was only ever done with Mecha Eleven.

There's nothing to say Dhwan doesn't occupy unknown space between Simm and Gomez, and in fact it makes more sense if he does.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I highly recommend every season and special of that show except the 4th, where it ran up against the early 1990s obsession with really awkward and gross attempts at smut.

All of them are available on YouTube. Full of actors anyone even passingly familiar with British TV would recognize.

Tom Baker is Professor Plum in the 3rd, David McCallum played Plum in the 2nd, and a young Kristoffer Tabori played him in the 1st, over a decade before he was the voice of HK-47 in KOTOR.

Michael Jayston is Colonel Mustard at one point as well. Also apparently Chris Tarrant hated hosting it more than any other job he ever had, which is very funny.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

What about the "WE MUZZZT SURVIVE!" scene with the closing door!?! :ohdear:

Great now I gotta rewatch it..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Great now I gotta rewatch it..

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watched Rose for the first time in... 17 years I think? Holy hell the wave of nostalgia hit hard, I am definitely going to make my through in quick fashion. And I already like eccleston more than I remember, wish we would have got more of him.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Eccleston was outstanding.

Pity we had him for so little time.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 21, 2024

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Best acting Matt Smith ever did was pretending he hadn't seen it before, given he's actually Patrick Troughton's spirit occupying a Frankenstein body. They really didn't even bother trying to hide it, Wendy Padbury was his agent!

lol Doctor Who is the world's biggest small town, I love it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO at the Doctor threatening to kill everyone with a deadly Jelly Baby.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Just a brief aside, vaguely related to Who:

I want to say thank you to whoever mentioned Rivers of London in this thread (Ben Arranovich). I checked out a copy from my librarys ebook service (hoopla, fwiw, which I mainly use for doctor who comics. ..) and finished it the same day.

I'm now halfway through Moon Over Soho and it's just as enthralling. Doctor Who has been referenced directly at least three times that I've noticed, but never annoyingly so or in a manner that seems forced.

There are some parts where you can tell Arranovich likely has some more, let's say "parochial" views that bleeds through the writing and would be instantly called out in 2024, which surprised me given the 2011 publication date. But it never seems malicious, at least not to this Yank ( who might admittedly be missing some things due to cultural disconnects but he seems to be doing his best to be progressive using the language he is familiar with)

The comics any good? And if so, I guess I should figure out the best place to read them (in the book time-line, I mean)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

McGann posted:

I want to say thank you to whoever mentioned Rivers of London in this thread (Ben Arranovich). I checked out a copy from my librarys ebook service (hoopla, fwiw, which I mainly use doctor who comics. ..) and finished it the same day.

I'm now halfway through Moon Over Soho and it's just as enthralling. Doctor Who has been referenced directly at least three times that I've noticed, but never annoyingly so or in a manner that seems forced.

There are some parts where you can tell Arranovich likely has some more, let's say "parochial" views that bleeds through the writing and would be instantly called out in 2024, which surprised me given the 2011 publication date. But it never seems malicious, at least not to this Yank ( who might admittedly be missing some things due to cultural disconnects but he seems to be doing his best to be progressive using the language he is familiar with)

The comics any good? And if so, I guess I should figure out the best place to read them (in the book time-line, I mean)

What sort of view?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

lines posted:

What sort of view?

It's just pre-tipping point social/culture stuff. Regular use of "Transvestite", some minor misogynistic tones when describing women (She was ugly as poo poo, she HAD to be smart sorta line). As I noted, nothing glaring or anything appearing malicious - more a sense of "If this was written ten years later, this would be problematic, and if they author didn't agree it was problematic in retrospect, they probably did it intentionally". These could also easily be "This is the character's headspace, not the author's" but I find it takes a *very* skilled author to not let any of their own views bleed through.

I just think that those views were not intentionally malicious, much like any social issue that someone has very little interaction with, we tend to not think of the harm our words cause until its pointed out to us.

Dunno if that makes sense, just my gut feel from reading the first book and a half. They are *FANTASTIC* and he's an amazing author, those were minor nitpicks and the only thing I could possibly take issue with so far (and *only* if it was somehow intentional.) If I had to guess, I'd say ol Ben is pretty progressive, just with some boomer-age tinges that come off less than ideal.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

McGann posted:

I want to say thank you to whoever mentioned Rivers of London in this thread (Ben Arranovich). I checked out a copy from my librarys ebook service (hoopla, fwiw, which I mainly use for doctor who comics. ..) and finished it the same day.

Think that was me - the comics are as good as the books. They also came out in a seemingly random order versus the timeline of the books so make sure you consult a reading order before reading them or you'll accidentally get stuff spoiled for you.

And yeah, seconding the parochial views query as I can't remember anything like that but it's been a while since I read the first few books.

Also also, I've seen people fancast a TV version of the books with McGann as Nightingale and it MIGHT be the most perfect bit of fancasting I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm curious how Leeta is going to work out as a companion. She seems very action oriented which a bit different than Sarah Jane Smith. I'm still on Face of Evil , last episode and I like her but its too early to really get a idea of her.