Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I only started after I went freelance but to be honest I enjoy it and it makes life a lot easier. Dropping something at the recycling centre, doing the big shop, etc all go from nightmare multi hour jobs to an hour max. Most of my friends don’t drive too so it’s handy if people need to move flats or something. I’m also the closest (only) contact for my family a hundred miles away so not relying on trains and such is quite important. I think people shouldn’t bother until they should, if that makes sense. Just beware of over-reliance. I caught myself without fags and milk the other day and almost got in the car - the shop is a five minute walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

dear oh dear, can anyone of a medical persuasion riddle me this?

last night i had a couple of glasses of wine and i developed, very suddenly, a splitting headache - so sudden that i put my hand to the top of my head because it felt like i'd been stricken by something. i get migraines occasionally but this was even worse than the headache that accompanies migraines. I took paracetamol but it did nothing, so i took a couple of the good painkillers and set to bed

here's where it gets interesting: i went to brush my teeth and the sight of myself in the mirror frightened me. my left pupil was fixed at the size of a pin head while the other was normal and responding to light :/
wasn't sure if i was waking up again tbh

Don't gently caress about with that mate. It can be super serious. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/...of%20sensation.

scary article posted:

The carotid artery is a tube built to withstand pressure. There are two layers of elastic fibers lining the inner and outer surfaces of the thick muscular wall of the artery. When a SCAD occurs, the inner layer is somehow torn and blood, pumped from the heart, rips its way into this tear, pulling the elastic layer away from the muscle and creating an expanding pocket of detoured blood. As the blood forces the outer wall outward, it injures the nerves that travel with the carotids, sometimes causing pain, sometimes unevenly sized pupils, sometimes a droopy eyelid and sometimes a loss of sensation. Over the course of her week of pain, as that pocket of blood grew, she developed all these symptoms. The inner wall can also be pushed forward, reducing the size of the artery’s opening and sometimes, as it was in this patient, blocking it completely. As her carotid narrowed, a clot formed and ultimately lodged in a tiny vessel in the front of her brain, causing a stroke. As a result of where that clot landed, it didn’t cause the typical weakness, just the headache.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 21, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Don't gently caress about with that mate. It can be super serious. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/...of%20sensation.

NOn-paywalled version:

https://archive.is/zAvep

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My dad had an aortic dissection three years ago. Nearly killed him. I hope it's not that, but I extremely hope you've already got yourself to A&E by now.

E: a major reason his cancer wasn't caught until too late was because his symptoms were being chalked up to the long-term aftereffects of the AD and subsequent stroke during surgery.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm not 'allowed' to drive because I'm 'visually impaired' and it would be 'dangerous' to 'everyone else on the road'

it's health and safety gone mad

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Drive anyway, what are they gonna do about it, take your license away? :smuggo:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Drive anyway, what are they gonna do about it, take your license away? :smuggo:

gently caress yeah no cops no masters

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can legally drive my <4mph electric wheelchair while inebriated on any substance as it's classed as an extension to my legs, but it's a grey area when it comes to mobility scooters. While you can technically drive scooters drunk if you stay on the pavement and stick to <4mph, there have been isolated cases of police gaining court orders to confiscate mobility scooters from problematic dangerous drivers. In most cases those people end up purchasing a replacement the same day and are back out on the roads, forcing the police to go back to square one with everything.

You also don't have to be disabled to own and use an electric wheelchair or a <8mph mobility scooter.

I don't know why I'm telling the thread this, but I'm sure this nugget will prove useful to someone.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, December 2023 :siren:

Belated happy New Year, Goons. January means it's the season for the :siren: annual election of trustees :siren: to the Solidarity Fund!

There are 5 trustees - currently me, Tsietisin, Captain Fargle, AceClown, and The DPRK. Shamefully, I believe none of us are regular posters in this thread nowadays, and all of us have been doing this undemanding, unpaid, yet extremely fulfilling job for at least 3 years (some of us 4!) so if you feel some fresh blood is warranted, specifically yours, please put yourself forward!

You can declare your intention to stand for the committee via one of the following means: a) posting in this thread, b) sending a PM to one of us who isn't Fargle, or c) PMing one of us on Discord. The deadline for these self-nominations is one week from today, i.e. by the end of Sunday 28th January. If there are more than 5 candidates at this time, a vote will be organised. As far as I know right now, all 5 current trustees are planning to stand for reelection.

Also, we've been making noises for years now about applying to become a real charity, which would allow us to get a proper bank account sorted, reinstate the Paypal donation option, and accept Gift Aided donations - all good things and long overdue! For reasons I won't go into here our previous application attempt fell through, but I'm committed to making it happen this year. On that note if anyone happens to be knowledgeable about the process of drawing up the articles for a charity and dealing with the Charity Commission, I would love to chat.

Now, the stats!

November Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts graph:

Quarterly version of the above:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I can legally drive my <4mph electric wheelchair while inebriated on any substance as it's classed as an extension to my legs, but it's a grey area when it comes to mobility scooters. While you can technically drive scooters drunk if you stay on the pavement and stick to <4mph, there have been isolated cases of police gaining court orders to confiscate mobility scooters from problematic dangerous drivers. In most cases those people end up purchasing a replacement the same day and are back out on the roads, forcing the police to go back to square one with everything.

You also don't have to be disabled to own and use an electric wheelchair or a <8mph mobility scooter.

I don't know why I'm telling the thread this, but I'm sure this nugget will prove useful to someone.

As a deeply lazy man I appreciate this post

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Maugrim posted:

Also, we've been making noises for years now about applying to become a real charity, which would allow us to get a proper bank account sorted, reinstate the Paypal donation option, and accept Gift Aided donations - all good things and long overdue! For reasons I won't go into here our previous application attempt fell through, but I'm committed to making it happen this year. On that note if anyone happens to be knowledgeable about the process of drawing up the articles for a charity and dealing with the Charity Commission, I would love to chat.

I might be able to get some advice from work and pass it on, especially if you have any specific questions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm sorry not much help on how to become a charity, but once you manage it give me a PM and I can help with the spa plans.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Stop being ill, children. Get back to work

https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1748635277210341478

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ah yes just send your wain into school to poo poo themselves and infect everyone around them

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also thanks for advice and all the scary warnings folks but i've recent experience of A&E and i'm not sitting in a plastic chair for 18 hours only to have a light shone in my eyes and sent home w/ paracetamol, i'll make a GP appointment on Monday and be seen in 6-8 weeks lol

i've told my mum so if i go in the night or w/e at any point she can see to the cat and that

i'll say this about a pin head pupil: instant bond villain look :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
actually reckon an appointment at SpecSavers will be the best route to getting anything done

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 21, 2024

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

truly a moment he will remember for the rest of his life. moments matter

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

actually reckon an appointment at SpecSavers will be the best route to getting anything done
They will tell you to go straight to the eye hospital you knob.

My wife used to work in an opticians, call 111 at the very least. If your brain bursts I will be very sad, and you are a cock for potentially doing that to me, the protagonist of reality.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

I can legally drive my <4mph electric wheelchair while inebriated on any substance as it's classed as an extension to my legs
aw gently caress yea you’re legally a cyborg

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I guess in a few years they'll expand it to adults and it'll be "this morning, he had chest pains...but look at him now!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

crispix posted:

also thanks for advice and all the scary warnings folks but i've recent experience of A&E and i'm not sitting in a plastic chair for 18 hours only to have a light shone in my eyes and sent home w/ paracetamol, i'll make a GP appointment on Monday and be seen in 6-8 weeks lol

i've told my mum so if i go in the night or w/e at any point she can see to the cat and that

You are dicing with something potentially very serious. If they send you home with paracetamol that's a good result, that means nothing much was probably wrong after all, but the point is you go in CASE something serious is wrong.

loving hell. I deal with this poo poo so often at work. I know you don't want to go to the hospital, nobody wants to go to the hospital.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i don't think some of you folks appreciate how non-functioning the health service is here lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why did you bother posting about it if you weren't going to take anyone's advice? You can ignore potentially serious symptoms all by yourself I expect. Jeez.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Got me cross! Sorry. I do hope you're okay.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

One of the links someone up thread has posted was someone being sent home with a painkiller but it was a stroke (or something I may not have recalled correctly ).
Go to the optician by all means if you can get an appointment Sunday; some of ours - we have loads in our high street (along with the charity shops and coffee shops) are open Sunday - if anything they might give you a bit of paper or phone the hospital & get you triaged more quickly at A&E (and I hope you can find someone to drive you!).

Take your phone and doom-scroll or a book of sudukos or something.

Give your mum your password to the forum so if you do go in the night she can let us know.

If there is something seriously wrong, then you'd have to get to hospital anyway to get sorted. I don't think brain surgery is something you can do on yourself unlike removing your own teeth.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 21, 2024

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

HopperUK posted:

Why did you bother posting about it if you weren't going to take anyone's advice? You can ignore potentially serious symptoms all by yourself I expect. Jeez.

because it's a really, really cool aesthetic and i had to share :)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

smellmycheese posted:

Brilliant. Definitely haven’t seen this sort of thing go absolutely tits up at any point in the last 20 years

isn't this a good thing if adequately backed? like, I can see why trusting the Tories (or current labour rip) to do it is a problem, and it should be combined with efforts to build out the supply, but in itself seems like a decent enough policy for the regular folks

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If your eye is still like that tomorrow, walk into any opticians and just see how fast they phone the eye hospital themselves to let them know you're on your way.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i appreciate all the concern but i'm hoping it was just a combination of sleep deprivation, 2 glasses of wine and very strong painkillers and also recently coming off medication to help me sleep

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If your eye is still like that tomorrow, walk into any opticians and just see how fast they phone the eye hospital themselves to let them know you're on your way.

it's been fine since i slept last night

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

crispix posted:

i don't think some of you folks appreciate how non-functioning the health service is here lol

For all the issues with the NHS a potential aortic dissection is going to get you triaged right to the front of the A&E queue the vast majority of the time. The health service isn't so much non functional, it's just running on hyper utilitarian emergency footing. If there's any chance your head might literally explode you'll almost certainly be seen quickly.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Give your mum your password to the forum so if you do go in the night she can let us know.

honestly i am someone who is completely at peace with my place in the known universe, my mortality and the inevitability of my death; i feel no fear about any of those things, but i do feel primordial fear about the idea of Ma seeing my post history

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

honestly i am someone who is completely at peace with my place in the known universe, my mortality and the inevitability of my death; i feel no fear about any of those things, but i do feel primordial fear about the idea of Ma seeing my post history

I fully understand that - it wouldn't be my Ma I give my password to either ;)

I think there are a couple of folk ITT who know my real ID so I would ask my executors to message them and ask them to post of my demise should I still be active.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 21, 2024

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I saw a fesshole post recently from a guy who decided to have a wank when his wife was out and got a bit freaky borrowing her toys. He ended up having a real bad stroke during the act, to the point the doctors later told him it was touch and go whether he'd make it. Apparently, though, through some insane feat of willpower brought on by the sheer terror of imagining his wife's last memory of him being his corpse riding her dildo, he managed to get up, mid-stroke (hohoho), and put it away before returning to bed to pass out, then woke up in the hospital some time later.

I have zero idea if this is remotely true but it did make me laugh more than it should have.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NORMAN? NORMAN HE'S NOT LISTENING.

TELL HIM YOU USED TO DO ACCOUNTS FOR AN OPTICIAN, HE'LL LISTEN TO YOU. TELL HIM ABOUT THAT EMILIA CLARK GIRL, HOW SHE COLLAPSED IN THEM SHOWERS AND NEARLY DIED

ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT EMILIA CLARK IN THE SHOWER AGAIN NORMAN? I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT IN MY OWN HUSBANDS HEAD! FILTH

NORMAN?

WHY HAVE YOUR EYES GONE LIKE THAT

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:mad:

NORMAN WORKED FOR BRITISH LEYLAND

STOP GETTING NORMAN WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

What is death compared to mother england

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThomasPaine posted:

I saw a fesshole post recently from a guy who decided to have a wank when his wife was out and got a bit freaky borrowing her toys. He ended up having a real bad stroke during the act, to the point the doctors later told him it was touch and go whether he'd make it. Apparently, though, through some insane feat of willpower brought on by the sheer terror of imagining his wife's last memory of him being his corpse riding her dildo, he managed to get up, mid-stroke (hohoho), and put it away before returning to bed to pass out, then woke up in the hospital some time later.

I have zero idea if this is remotely true but it did make me laugh more than it should have.

the real hero of "what have people gotten stuck in their butts this year"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

HopperUK posted:

You are dicing with something potentially very serious. If they send you home with paracetamol that's a good result, that means nothing much was probably wrong after all, but the point is you go in CASE something serious is wrong.

loving hell. I deal with this poo poo so often at work. I know you don't want to go to the hospital, nobody wants to go to the hospital.

Every time I've had to visit the hospital, for myself or for someone else having to be there, everyone has been super nice and I really appreciated the human comfort they were able to give even with their hurried work pace. Even if you (as in the general you) think your complaint might be minor and oh gosh I shouldn't bother anyone, these folks see all sorts of really horrid poo poo on a daily basis, and not just funny dildo anecdotes but someone's granny dying and not really comprehending what is going on anymore, and your ache or whatever that isn't a big deal doesn't even register. Just seek help whenever anyone feels like they need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What is death compared to mother england

i'm a free-born irishman