Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I started a KHAAN achievement run as Mongolia before checking out the requirements. :doh: Still I got everything I need to flip to Yuan, not going to untill I've got all the rest for Mongol Empire though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The broken comedy option would be to start as Muscovy and open Aristo before becoming a horde then go Religious and convert everything Ortho but I don't see any way that's possible in my clicking around in the wiki.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You could do something like Cossack -> into a whole shitload of options -> into an altaic/tartar culture-> hit button become mongol empire.

Now you can have plutocratic, aristocratic, and horde ideas for the fun of it.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 17, 2024

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Box wine posted:

You could do something like Cossack -> into a whole shitload of options -> into an altaic/tartar culture-> hit button become mongol empire.

Now you can have plutocratic, aristocratic, and horde ideas for the fun of it.

What's "Cossack" in this context? After my run, which is rn in about 1605 and going well - I'm lurking on Ming's border waiting for that mandate to drop and/or an opportunity to drop Poland and the Mamluks on the Ottomans for the 5 provinces I need - I might try it.

I was actually thinking about trying to start as muscovy and creating an ortho aristo golden horde for the memes somehow.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lithuania has a vassal called Zaporozhie that you can release and play as that has a unique government that combines Republic and Horde traditions.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

CommonShore posted:

What's "Cossack" in this context?

A breakaway nation with the sich rada government. You can make it pop out from a country with the cossack estate and play as it. The name of the country is random so that's why I just say cossack. Lithuania is the country to start as for it. To actually make a cossack nation you want to lower the cossack estate loyalty and raise it's influence to force the disaster to fire. Once it fires (usually in 1448 if you don't gently caress with the progress) you can select to play as the new break away nation. Here is a video on how to do it though it is a bit confusing. It doesn't take long to learn and takes only a minute to setup and try out in game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXN9RhEphi8

The sich rada government is a Republican Horde with a really broken free army button. https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Republic#Sich_Rada Zaporozhie does start with the government but you are stuck with being a vassal and having much less land than if you just do it via disaster.

The most popular thing to do is make a cossack nation, swap out of sich rada to Nobile elite and grab the aristocratic idea group. Then just swap back to sich rada. Honestly you don't need aristocratic and you'll be unstoppable without it. Though if you're gonna be broken might as well be as broken as possible. You can also form just about any nation you so desire. Yes Poland is a popular choice for the Polish Ideas.

So for your ortho aristo golden horde you could do, Cossack -> swap out government to Nobile Elite and grab the aristocratic ideas -> swap government back to Sich Rada -> You could go form Russia now, I don't think it's possible to actually form Muscovy -> I don't know if you lose the ability to select sich rada government type by forming Russia, but gently caress it you will remember you can get Polish Ideas and go do that anyways. Note if you wanted to get Polish ideas and form Russia you would need to swap to another country between Poland and Russia as Poland cannot form Russia.

e: It would be easier to just do Ruthenia over Russia. I know you can keep Sich Rada as Ruthenia at least.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 18, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone have any brief pointers about playing as Kazan? I have not played a Horde in ages and I understand the basic concepts (lots of cavalry, fight on plains, raze everything (mostly), always be fighting and looting) but some of the gotchyas or finer points of horde gameplay or about smothering Muscovy in the crib would be appreciated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone have any brief pointers about playing as Kazan? I have not played a Horde in ages and I understand the basic concepts (lots of cavalry, fight on plains, raze everything (mostly), always be fighting and looting) but some of the gotchyas or finer points of horde gameplay or about smothering Muscovy in the crib would be appreciated.

declaring war on Muscovy as Kazan December 1444 is generally considered to be one of the hardest winnable starting wars and I've seen multiple guides suggest trying that war over and over as a war to practice eu4 warfare

The main other thing I can think of is prioritizing conquering provinces that have feudalism

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

have little, or 0, cav

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheetah7071 posted:

declaring war on Muscovy as Kazan December 1444 is generally considered to be one of the hardest winnable starting wars and I've seen multiple guides suggest trying that war over and over as a war to practice eu4 warfare
Oh lawdy yeah that sounds terrifying

cheetah7071 posted:

The main other thing I can think of is prioritizing conquering provinces that have feudalism
:hmmyes:

oddium posted:

have little, or 0, cav
Whaaaat? This runs counter to what I understand about being a horde. I know there are a lot of forests near Muscovy but I doubt that is why you would say that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cav in general are just not great, even for the horse people

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Whaaaat? This runs counter to what I understand about being a horde. I know there are a lot of forests near Muscovy but I doubt that is why you would say that.
My understanding is that the cost of cav is seen as prohibitive compared to simply adding more infantry unless you've stacked cav combat ability sky high. Early game, before you've had a chance to get ideas unlocked, you're much better off simply buying more men (infantry still get the shock bonus/malus, so it isn't a terrain thing).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Current Kazan run started like this

Day 1 basic setup sell titles hire two mercenary companies and focus military with a mil advisor, making sure one merc company has a siege general. Get a horde like Nogai or Uzbek or Crimea as an ally based on the local alliance networks.

Declare war on the neighbour who is easiest to kill, call in an ally with promise of land, take all of the land from the war raze everything. With the razing I was close to tech 4.

Shortly after that Muscovy declared war on Novgorod/Odoyev and so I declared too with the horde cb and just ran around the steppes territories squishing any stacks I could find until I had a decent amount of war score and muscovy's manpower was depleted. Once I had tech 4 I started sieges and quickly won the war and took all of the golden horde provinces from them. Then I ate Rayazan in like 1 month and declared war on the next vulnerable neighbour horde who I had a tech advantage over. By the end of that war, I was basically snowballing already.

So yeah. Start an early war against someone not-Muscovy and rush for tech 4 via burning money on advisors and razing, and then attack them at the same time they start fighting Novgorod, and don't leave the spaces where you have the tech advantage until their army is depleted and you have tech 4.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today i learned that if burgundy is the emperor, the burgundian succession event doesn't fire

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I've been trying Karaman runs (on normal cause I am not good at this game) and had a decent one with a friendly allied Ottoman's and we took AQ/QQ down, took parts of Syria. I allied the Timurds, life was good.

I got called into a bunch of Ottoman wars where I helped them. And then I was recovering from that and rebuilding from another war of taking QQ down and the Mamluks declared war.

Both the Ottomans and Timuruds refused the call and Ottoman's flipped hostile and I decided to take a break for a few days.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You should never help your allies in wars. Join them if you must, but never spend a single drop of manpower or ducat. They're there to be abused by you, not helped into being bigger obstacles down the line.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

sometimes you do need to get involved and siege land yourself to make sure a current ally can't take it in a peace deal, but by and large do not help allies become larger

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Now vassals, on the other hand, those I love doling out provinces to. Using the entire palette for map painting. :allears:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Word of warning for anyone attempting an All Blue run: Helping your blue buddy Sweden to expand might seem like a great idea, but not so much when they form Scandinavia, which while still blue, didn't exist in 1444 and doesn't count

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yeah, it seems quite inconsistent tho, because Sardinia-Piedmont counts.

Advice: HRE needs to be dismantled asap, that way France can go ham, even if they're not allied to you. It still counts.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is it still really labor-intensive to do a full world conquest? I'd like to try it sometime since I've conquered half the world many times but never got close to a WC.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is it still really labor-intensive to do a full world conquest? I'd like to try it sometime since I've conquered half the world many times but never got close to a WC.

Pretty much, though it's less awful if you do it with an HRE revoke

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried the new post finem mod that's gotten some attention? Seems like a fun alt just deal but I'm not sure how fleshed out it is.

I just want more mission trees.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

JosefStalinator posted:

Has anyone tried the new post finem mod that's gotten some attention? Seems like a fun alt just deal but I'm not sure how fleshed out it is.

I played a game till like 1640 as Celtica, which has the biggest mission tree in the mod. It's pretty similar in scope to the vanilla GBR tree. It was a pretty fun campaign, but very easy. You have the absurdly powerful ability from 1444 to get neighbors as tributaries by war or (pretty easy) diplomacy and then early in the MT you can vassalize tributaries at 190 relations, which I used only lightly because it felt so OP. You get permaclaims in India and Southeast Asia which I don't think vanilla GBR does, so you can break in and even get a ton of land just by threatening war. You also get permaclaims on a good chunk of western and northern Europe of course. It's weirdly easy to conquer land in France and Germany because the dev is lower, religious fragmentation means less AE, and the HRE is in Italy. Lots of other changes like a different trade network (no end node in the channel) and a lot of new/replaced advisors. It starts feeling a little gratuitous, and the province names being different can be annoying. There are around a dozen tags with pretty sizable mission trees and a good chunk of them have unique government mechanics. It all seems to be pretty well executed and more polished than I expected for an initial release, so I'll probably play another game.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 2, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Yeah, it seems quite inconsistent tho, because Sardinia-Piedmont counts.

Advice: HRE needs to be dismantled asap, that way France can go ham, even if they're not allied to you. It still counts.

Yeah I dismantled it not long before Scandinavia formed. Ups and downs. Finished it up tonight

France ended up being the final boss despite being my ally most of the game. They ditched the alliance when the relations penalties from AE and hegemony got too high and then guaranteed a former-HRE OPM I hadn't got around to conquering yet. The OPM had no allies so I couldn't get around fighting France and had to slog though a million forts in France's ex-HRE provinces. Twice, because of course they ally the Pope (who I left for last) the moment I make peace the first time. I hit >450% overextension at one point earlier in the run, which I think was a personal best. Still can't imagine doing a WC.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 6, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I dismantled it not long before Scandinavia formed. Ups and downs. Finished it up tonight

France ended up being the final boss despite being my ally most of the game. They ditched the alliance when the relations penalties from AE and hegemony got too high and then guaranteed a former-HRE OPM I hadn't got around to conquering yet. The OPM had no allies so I couldn't get around fighting France and had to slog though a million forts in France's ex-HRE provinces. Twice, because of course they ally the Pope (who I left for last) the moment I make peace the first time. I hit >450% overextension at one point earlier in the run, which I think was a personal best. Still can't imagine doing a WC.
Extremely disappointed by the little bit of Tunis that you dont know.

Just kidding, congrats, that is one I will probably never bother with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I was in the same situation and did it this December, one faith - Austria and revoke... Diplo, Religious, Influence, Admin, Mercenary, Humanist, Quality,. It's hard to overstate how valuable merc ideas was for simplifying my WC - the key bits are "can recruit from anywhere" (which doesn't work exactly as you'd think) and not losing professionalism for using mercs. Once you get to that "what is money, anyway?" point in the game the ability to just teleport 200k troops wherever you need them and having that run from an entirely separate manpower pool is a huge QOL improvement. Much of my conquest of the new world was just hiring those 20k companies with leaders and telling them to allow attach and auto-siege. Plus the merc policies are pretty good, too.

There's a guy on youtube whose WC tips helped me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/@StrategySphere

Hasn't posted in a while. Shame. His vids are good.

Anyway his basic tips for WC are that the goal before 1600 is to try to get to about 2500 dev (if I remember the number correctly) and to hamstring every nearby peer so that you have as many possible routes of expansion, then at 1600 to set up to maximize your admin efficiency and as soon as it becomes active, your absolutism (by proactively revoking every estate privilege and trying to do the court-and-country event). At that point you just go into forever war mode.

Austria is easy for WC, not because of the vassal swarm (which is good) because any dev that goes to any HRE member state in that initial phase is basically yours by default so you can actually go completely insane with conquest early on but without getting AE. Hurt France, England, and Spain as hard as you can as early as you can, especially by forcing them to release nations and confiscating provinces that they need for forming whatever, make sure to get Neva so Russia can't form, and get that one early war against the Ottomans while doing your HRE Austria mission tree. Then when you start to expand, you'll have so much Papal Influence (from all of your missionaries and perpetual conversion) that you can have all of the bonuses active all of the time, use it to keep your stability topped up, and dump all of the remaining into the papal controller vote to get the AE bonus (which won't be necessary for too long because when you revoke you'll already more or less be past the coalition breakpoint anyway, which is why I didn't take espionage). Don't forget to convert before you add stuff to trade companies - if you just add every eligible territorial centre of trade to a TC you'll have infinity merchants and won't need trade ideas.

My own tip for Austria that I've never seen anyone give is to try to get into as many dumb wars with Italians as you can as early as possible, and to make sure that you don't white peace them. It makes The Shadow Kingdom way simpler. Like, when you get the Milanese Succession event, take the CB, declare war on them, co-beligerant as many Italians as you can handle, take money and war reps from all of them, and then don't take the PU because when you revoke you'll get them as a vassal anyway if you do Shadow Kingdom. Declare trade wars or respond to insults. Just fight them for any reason you can. Any Italian nation who you've defeated in a war will be "reigned in" and if you're lucky you'll only have to fanangle a few of them. I've since learned that nations with the "Friendly" relations tag are easier to ally, so if you have two nations that are rivalled, ally the non-friendly one first. You should be able to revoke comfortably in the mid 1500s without having to tryhard.

The road bump I hit in mine is that I crushed the reformation so much that the religious league war didn't happen and then the pope got pissed at me, which seems like a bad scripting outcome but that's how it goes. Sweden and Persia made good allies because they don't have great expansion route options of their own. India was the worst part because Bahmanis/Vij love to build and upgrade forts at maximum density. I used Spain/Castille as an ally longer than I should have because I was trying to PU them. It didn't happen, but they were useful for my first couple of Ottoman wars - it just led to a new world slog.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Extremely disappointed by the little bit of Tunis that you dont know.

Just kidding, congrats, that is one I will probably never bother with.

I actually did own it for most of the game, they somehow broke away during my high OE period. I’d killed the rebels and I thought I’d retaken all the provinces but I guess I missed one in the Sahara or something. I missed the “rebels close to enforcing demands” alert because I assumed it was separatists in some bullshit Micronesian island or something I didn’t care about. I retook most of Tunis when they were an ally to the target in one of the wars in Europe but 100% wasn’t quite enough to retake everything and I didn’t get around to getting the rest because I was focused on finishing the achievement.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 6, 2024

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Unless they changed things recently Shogun vassal swarm is IMHO easier than the HRE one and you can get TTM achieve at the same time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

My All Blue run was my first time playing vanilla instead of Anbennar in a long while, possibly even since the patch that made new world natives able to declare on colonial nations without the parent country being called in. Is this sort of outcome normal now?

I colonised the Caribbean and Brazil and a little bit of Colombia and La Plata then completely ignored the New World to focus on colonising the Cape and doing missions in India/SE Asia and conquering Europe. I got Newfoundland by PUing and integrating Great Britain. Inca went ham on Colombia, Charca on La Plata, and I don't even know what happened in Mexico and North America. There's a couple of Federations plus Huron in charge of most of it. Not sure if Mexico is natives or a colony that went independent or what but I'd like to propose this as a thread title

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Castile to Spain usually goes pretty hard in the new world in my games but I'm assuming you were keeping them in check as Portugal. I don't usually see Inca form because Spain has claims in that area but occasionally there are some pretty large North American federations. Not as often as a few patches ago though. If you're talking about the colonies being attacked and annexed by natives you get a notice that somebody declared war on your colony, and you can enforce peace to join in if they don't just give up their war. Great Britain and France don't colonize as much as they used to IMO but I could be wrong about that.

No idea what happened with Mexico and Mexican culture though.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

I’ve done runs as Gaul and Carthage and it’s pretty strong for an initial release of a mod. Most of Europe and the Near East have mission trees and/or unique mechanics and the quality is fairly high.

There is a bit of weird jank in places that will presumably be fixed with time. The trade setup is a little wack, especially for colonizers. Carthage also can’t participate in the League War without capital switching because of the continent restrictions despite being closer to Italy than most European tags and a main character of the mod.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You think they'd just add an Or Is Original Tag Carthage for that

atvrager
Jun 15, 2007
fear

Speaking of mods, I just finished up a world conquest on Voltaire's Nightmare:

Started as Normandy in 105x, did that whole William the Conqueror thing to become England, then Angevin Empire and finally Rome.
Overall, a lot of fun (if your PC doesn't melt down) -- combat feels quite different and more nimble with the massive amount of provinces and short travel times. Also, lots of time to play the dynasty spreading and PU game: managed to PU something like half of Europe by 1444 :krad:
Probably not the best if you're into huge mission trees, and the month tick starts to feel like MEIOU and Taxes at some point in the late game.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm surprised how much more balanced Anebar kinda seems to be? I've been playing it in MP (10 players) and most of our experience as fairly experienced players is "So I tried to attack some people and then Gawed showed up and stomped on my neck."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm surprised how much more balanced Anebar kinda seems to be? I've been playing it in MP (10 players) and most of our experience as fairly experienced players is "So I tried to attack some people and then Gawed showed up and stomped on my neck."

Balancing is much easier when there's no real world history and geopolitics you need to vaguely approximate.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Gawed is a paper tiger who, if they lose a big war or win a war that decimates their manpower will quickly implode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Gawed is a paper tiger who, if they lose a big war or win a war that decimates their manpower will quickly implode.

Eh, not my experience in the two casual MP rounds; sure they're weaker when that happens, but I still got roflstomped by a 100,000 man coalition (first Grombar run that was semi successful until it wasn't anymore!) that Gawed seemed to me like a pretty major component of.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AI Gawed will almost always lose to AI Lorent. It is an important threat early game, but it requires you to do very badly or Lorent to underperform for Gawed to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i have seen gawed lose a war to coldmarket before with zero player intervention