Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Castro was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cacator posted:

Not buying it until they bring back the commentary by Kenneth Loring, artisitic director for Forever Young Films.

I rented the old MGM Blu-ray that had the commentary and got about 20 minutes in before getting bored. It's funny at first, but it's a bit much.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Egbert Souse posted:

I rented the old MGM Blu-ray that had the commentary and got about 20 minutes in before getting bored. It's funny at first, but it's a bit much.

I don't care, I miss the days of DVD Easter eggs and want all the superfluous junk I can get.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed posted:

Castro was good.

My family has some person grievances against that regime.

We had no plantations / factories / etc. pre-Castro either, so nah.

gently caress him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

roger that. i will ponder the nature and severity of human grievance while rewatching soy cuba

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Gripweed posted:

Kalatazov was good.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
waitaminute, the famous line said by the guy in the hotdog shirt was froma ken russell movie??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Did anyone know that David Lynch has a 'Wizard of Oz' thing?

I've only seen a handful of his stuff. Eraserhead, most of the original Twin Peaks, a coffee commercial, and Mulholland Drive (I was so mad about some niche, uniquely pretentious fan responses to this movie that I wrote my own personal rage essay and I still do not want to rewatch this movie because of it and it is not his fault at all :colbert:).

However, he is a unique and dedicated artist and I clearly do not have an adequate understanding of his work. Has anyone noticed the 'Wizard of Oz' thing in his work? What elements does he echo? Does anyone plan on buying/watching this?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lynch didn't make/produce that doc, it's just some guy's pet project. And Wild at Heart has tons of references and imagery directly lifted from Wizard of Oz, so he doesn't have to do much work there to make connections. I doubt I'll watch it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

databasic posted:

I was so mad about some niche, uniquely pretentious fan responses to this movie
Never read the comments

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Learning that it has John Waters and Karyn Kusama talking about Lynch's work makes it worth watching for me.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

counterpoint: it was tiresome and bad mostly

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Brexit the Frog posted:

counterpoint: it was tiresome and bad mostly

Admittedly when I first heard about it when it was playing around the arthouses here I wasn't interested. I'm a huge Lynch fan but don't much care to explore the Oz connections...but John Waters is in it!! Truly a documentary that is a land of contrasts. I'm sure I've watched worse documentaries over the last few months. Some people on the forum here have high praise for it, and some don't. I'll have to find out for myself I suppose.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

databasic posted:

Has anyone noticed the 'Wizard of Oz' thing in his work?

yes, for 3 decades op

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is David Lynch The Art Life worth watching?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Depends on how interested you are in his childhood and life before he became a filmmaker. I've seen tons of interviews/docs over the years, so I had assumed there would be a lot of overlap and retold stories about Eraserhead and the early studio days, but surprisingly there wasn't. I liked it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Depends on how interested you are in his childhood and life before he became a filmmaker. I've seen tons of interviews/docs over the years, so I had assumed there would be a lot of overlap and retold stories about Eraserhead and the early studio days, but surprisingly there wasn't. I liked it.

Hmm thank you. I’m reading his book Room to Dream at the moment. I’ll watch it after if I don’t feel too full of Lynch knowledge.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It's an enjoyable watch for a Lynch fan, but it's not an amazing documentary or anything. It kind of covers Lynch's childhood and young adult life up through the release of Eraserhead. You never hear the interviewer's voice or questions, it's just Lynch kind of responding by telling stories and letting his mind wander. The interview footage is primarily of him working on his visual art, and you see archival photos, etc. It's just a low-key way to spend some time getting to know a wholesome weirdo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

checkplease posted:

Hopefully that’s not a trend. Extras are often a deciding factor for me when choosing movies to purchase.

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah. At least in my personal boutique tier list, Criterion dropped from S to A tier at least five years ago and with other boutiques coming in and actually doing better work on movies you wouldn't even imagine getting that kind of treatment, they might be dropping to B tier sooner than later.

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems like Arrow and Indicator still put in a lot of effort into new video pieces, plus adding archival materials. Kino includes commentaries on almost everything these days - for that matter, the extras on their upcoming 4K of Fear and Desire actually make it a must-have despite it being a pretty mediocre film (two cuts, each with a commentary, all three of Kubrick's short films newly restored and presented in 4K, plus a trailer gallery).

Granted, Arrow's catalogue is more specialized, but some of their Limited releases of late (along with Limited stuff from Indicator, Radiance, etc) absolutely put Criterion to shame. Barbarella, Hugo, Witness, and the upcoming Conan release are all beyond first class treatment and better bang for the buck feature-wise than most Criterions (which have subtle price hikes all over their catalog these days), usually including all cuts of a film, wild amounts of bonus features, and gorgeous package design. The difference is so stark at times that it makes Criterion look a bit on the back foot. Even a second string release for Arrow like the Limited of Blackhat includes long unavailable versions of the film, and the more adventurous nature of the catalogues makes Criterion's oft-criticized enshrining of certain aspects of the western film canon look really narrow.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 22, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I just preordered the Conan set from arrow. The list of extras just kept going and going. Love to see it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m not sure why Criterion Collection decided to include as the last movie in their Jackie Chan collection a movie that has ten minutes of Jackie Chan in the beginning an then becomes a boner comedy starring five guys who aren’t Jackie Chan.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Gripweed posted:

I’m not sure why Criterion Collection decided to include as the last movie in their Jackie Chan collection a movie that has ten minutes of Jackie Chan in the beginning an then becomes a boner comedy starring five guys who aren’t Jackie Chan.

Not just that, but it’s the middle of a trilogy to which they don’t own the rights to the other two! Very bizarre. You can watch the other ones in Shout’s Vol 2 Jackie collection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gripweed posted:

Because Jackie, Yuen Biao, and Sammo Hung were all buddies at the Peking Opera School and the titular Lucky Stars all constantly show up in each other’s movies. It’s hard to separate Jackie from Sammo and Yuen when you’re talking about his early HK films. They’re important to his overall rise to stardom.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, and I’m guessing the rights situation is just very weird overall. Definitely of the 3 Lucky Stars films, Criterion got the best one for Jackie Chan, since he actually gets some pretty good action sequences.

The third one was the worst of the bunch. Barely any Jackie Chan because he was injured during the shooting of Police Story. In general, I feel like they’re very much of a time and place.

Overall, The Rise to Stardom set is a little mixed. There’s some good films, but I never have to see Spiritual Kung Fu or Fearless Hyena 2 ever again. Both of those are comically bad. I felt that Young Master was a little boring, but maybe I should try it again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, and I’m guessing the rights situation is just very weird overall. Definitely of the 3 Lucky Stars films, Criterion got the best one for Jackie Chan, since he actually gets some pretty good action sequences.

The third one was the worst of the bunch. Barely any Jackie Chan because he was injured during the shooting of Police Story. In general, I feel like they’re very much of a time and place.

Overall, The Rise to Stardom set is a little mixed. There’s some good films, but I never have to see Spiritual Kung Fu or Fearless Hyena 2 ever again. Both of those are comically bad. I felt that Young Master was a little boring, but maybe I should try it again.

The best part of the set is the long fight at the end of Half a Loaf of Kung Fu. There are so many action gags in it, it's amazing.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Saw that Your Name is coming to Criterion Channel in February, which is a weird choice. I love that movie to death and would recommend it to everyone here to check out, but it doesn't seem to be in the same wheelhouse as other Criterion-approved movies, even if it's part of the otherworldly romances they're showing.

It's definitely a poppy, easy film and I know anime is sometimes a stretch too far for people, but there are incredible moments in it that would make it a totally worthwhile watch. Great twists, stellar animated sequences, and catchy music too. As a movie they're bringing to the channel in February, it makes perfect sense to check it out for Valentine's. :3:

Go in knowing as little about the plot as possible and enjoy. I think it has a lot to say about a myriad of subjects but I also get people not seeing much depth in it either - it's a big, try-to-please-everyone kind of movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Saw that Your Name is coming to Criterion Channel in February, which is a weird choice. I love that movie to death and would recommend it to everyone here to check out, but it doesn't seem to be in the same wheelhouse as other Criterion-approved movies, even if it's part of the otherworldly romances they're showing.

It's definitely a poppy, easy film and I know anime is sometimes a stretch too far for people, but there are incredible moments in it that would make it a totally worthwhile watch. Great twists, stellar animated sequences, and catchy music too. As a movie they're bringing to the channel in February, it makes perfect sense to check it out for Valentine's. :3:

Go in knowing as little about the plot as possible and enjoy. I think it has a lot to say about a myriad of subjects but I also get people not seeing much depth in it either - it's a big, try-to-please-everyone kind of movie.

The criterion channel has an extensive godzilla collection, a ken russel collection, escape from new york, and the quick and the dead at the moment, i'm not sure they could be said to have a wheelhouse

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Their wheelhouse is whatever they can get the streaming rights to

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I really like how the Channel has themed collections, sizzle reels, and descriptions that actually make you want to watch the movies in question. There's a very fun element of discovery to it all and I've watched some great movies I wouldn't have otherwise because of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's annoying as hell when they pull one film from a collection that also happens to be incredibly important to that collection. Hal Hartley's has Fay Grim and Ned Rifle but I had to go out and acquire Henry Fool for myself.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gaius Marius posted:

Their wheelhouse is whatever they can get the streaming rights to

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I really like how the Channel has themed collections, sizzle reels, and descriptions that actually make you want to watch the movies in question. There's a very fun element of discovery to it all and I've watched some great movies I wouldn't have otherwise because of it.

yeah they certainly have an editorial and presentational style, but they'll throw on just about anything they can get. the fact that they get stuff no one else tries to get is the big draw, but any movie on criterion is going to be better presented than elsewhere, too. arrow also does this exact style (and they very obviously have the same backbone UI and so forth, I think they both got it off Vimeo?)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Agreed on all counts :)

Just taking into account the most recent stuff I've watched, I don't think I ever would've come across glorious schlock like "1990: Bronx Warriors" or cool documentaries like "The Art of Rap" & "Freestyle" otherwise.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

Agreed on all counts :)

Just taking into account the most recent stuff I've watched, I don't think I ever would've come across glorious schlock like "1990: Bronx Warriors" or cool documentaries like "The Art of Rap" & "Freestyle" otherwise.

Yes! The Bronx Warriors was the first new movie I watched this year and I had such a good time with it. I've previously mentioned it's how I watched Donnie Darko and Josie & The Pussycats, as well as The Doom Generation, all of which I loved. I had a great time chilling out with the Olympics films as well. To say nothing of how they include the extras from their physical releases. It's pretty great being able to watch The Heroic Trio and Executioners right now.

I don't feel bad about them shuffling movies in and out either because they're usually pretty clear about what's going when and what's coming. Sure, in general, the world of streaming and media rights and FOMO sucks as a whole but that's why this is a supplement to my physical collection rather than a replacement.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm still waiting for them to release Kindergarten Cop. Stop dragging your rear end Criterion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXwHR3mQ8c

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I do love that we're getting Chinese Odyssey 2002 and Eagle Shooting Heroes, even though I've seen them any number times already.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Next month on the Channel

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm excited about Ishtar, I really love Elaine May's other films but haven't seen that one yet.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Tom Green is finally being recognized for the auteur he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nothing makes me happier