Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol so much poo poo happening in the middle east but the bad thread moves at an absolute crawl because you get probed for posting anything in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

the us already spent years trying to occupy yemen with the saudi military using american weapons, intelligence, advisors, shot callers and every other kind of support and all that did was leave columns of burning abrams tanks and strike eagle crash sites scattered across the country

Do you think the US military cannot decide to get in a quagmire personally? And not to say that the US will "win" in taking out the Houthis/Yemen but lol let's not be stupid and pretend that the Saudi Arabian military is anything but total trash when compared to the US military. Like I want Palestine to be free, and I want the Houthis to drop the shipping blockade because of a ceasefire and/or free Palestine - so I'm not rooting for US success against Yemen here, just trying to be reasonable when assessing various militaries effectiveness.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do you think the US military cannot decide to get in a quagmire personally? And not to say that the US will "win" in taking out the Houthis/Yemen but lol let's not be stupid and pretend that the Saudi Arabian military is anything but total trash when compared to the US military. Like I want Palestine to be free, and I want the Houthis to drop the shipping blockade because of a ceasefire and/or free Palestine - so I'm not rooting for US success against Yemen here, just trying to be reasonable when assessing various militaries effectiveness.
they oughta blockade your posts

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the us military is very effective when fighting against people who can't really fight back, and not so much otherwise

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Where is the US gonna invade from? SA?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

the us military is very effective when fighting against people who can't really fight back, and not so much otherwise

Still remembering all those US soldiers who went over to Ukraine to fight the Russians and immediately backed out once they realized there was no overwhelming air support.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

E2M2 posted:

right now I’d bet anything that at least some usmc generals are lobbying hard to do a totally baddass amphibious assault (it would go very badly from days 3 onward, if not earlier)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

E2M2 posted:

they're gonna hit the beaches like it's normandy

then they're gonna die on the beaches like it's omaha

HazCat
May 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

lol so much poo poo happening in the middle east but the bad thread moves at an absolute crawl because you get probed for posting anything in there

skill issue

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

MadSparkle posted:

what did I miss, ugh

It's a sinai group declaring that they're gonna carry out attacks against israel called the 'Farouq Brigades ' كتائب فاروق and taking credit for recent events on the border, however alot of egyptian twitter are saying it might be a mukhabarat psyop or something.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

let me blow your mind: they make chemical weapons at universities...

yea but consequences usually happen when they use them on other students

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow sounds like Israel is losing the war and should surrender:-

========================

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6204919

Wall Street Journal: Hamas possesses enough ammunition to strike Israel for several months

The American Wall Street Journal confirmed that American intelligence estimates showed that the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) still possesses enough ammunition to strike Israel for several months.

The newspaper quoted Israeli officials as saying that despite the air and ground campaign in Gaza, "the goal of destroying Hamas has not been achieved."

Israeli Opposition Leader: We support any exchange deal even if it costs us a ceasefire

Israeli Army Radio quoted opposition leader Yair Lapid as saying that the opposition supports any prisoner and detainee exchange deal with the Palestinian resistance, even if the return is a ceasefire agreement.

grandmother of two Israeli prisoners: We lost the war in Gaza

Makbit Maya, the grandmother of two Israeli prisoners, said, “Israel lost the war in Gaza, unfortunately, so I hope that the war will end and that the Israeli prisoners will be returned safely to their families.”

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Dokapon Findom posted:

HMS Bangor... well, they certainly did! :haw:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

fizziester posted:

Yemen is about to find out why Americans don't have free healthcare

It's because American governance has been thoroughly corroded by grift, graft, rent-seeking, and nepotism.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

It would take six months for them to get ready to get stuck in a quagmire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

atelier morgan posted:

the us already spent years trying to occupy yemen with the saudi military using american weapons, intelligence, advisors, shot callers and every other kind of support and all that did was leave columns of burning abrams tanks and strike eagle crash sites scattered across the country

the us army isn’t the Saudi army. the Saudis actually practiced Israeli style armor theory where they wouldn’t get out of their tanks and got enveloped by AA fighters on foot all the time. American GIs can still be made to get out and cover the tanks.

but there’s no way it wouldn’t be the highest casualty event for the USM since Vietnam.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al-Saqr posted:

wow sounds like Israel is losing the war

this kind of reads like Eisenkot’s despairing pessimism has cleared up a log jam that was stopping Israelis from admitting they’ve lost.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fizziester posted:

Yemen is about to find out why Americans don't have free healthcare

It's because American governance has been thoroughly corroded by grift, graft, rent-seeking, and nepotism.

America doesn't have free healthcare because it would undermine military recruiting efforts

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the us army isn’t the Saudi army. the Saudis actually practiced Israeli style armor theory where they wouldn’t get out of their tanks and got enveloped by AA fighters on foot all the time. American GIs can still be made to get out and cover the tanks.

but there’s no way it wouldn’t be the highest casualty event for the USM since Vietnam.

the us has the theoretical ability to deploy actual marine divisions and properly invade/occupy yemen (or gaza, for that matter), but that ain't happening for a billion 'us will lose ww3' reasons

and they already tried absolutely everything except actually taking massive american casualties during the war

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Jan 21, 2024

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this kind of reads like Eisenkot’s despairing pessimism has cleared up a log jam that was stopping Israelis from admitting they’ve lost.

It's moreso that people are recognizing that military action has failed and will continue to fail to bring back the hostages, without which Israel can't even pretend to have won. Full stop. When protestors chant "there's no victory without the hostages," they're not exaggerating. If they die, the last remaining thread of the social contract will be torn to shreds.

E: in general, you won't struggle too much to find Israelis saying we've lost the war though they mean it in a political sense: "we won't fully achieve our goals and the whole affair has been such a humiliating disaster that crippled Israel domestically and internationally, it can't really be called a victory". It's a whole other story to find Israelis who think we lost in a militairy sense: "the IDF is getting its rear end kicked in Gaza".

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 09:00 on Jan 21, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm sure their total lack of a merchant marine, their disintegrating littoral ships, and their troops who live in moldy barracks is going to kick the poo poo out of Yemen.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas isnt budging from any of its demands in negotiations which means theyre very confident about where they are militarily

=====

Ynet, according to an Israeli official: Israel is ready for a long truce and increased aid to the Gaza Strip, but Hamas insists on a ceasefire

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1748814237437157858?s=46

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

PostNouveau posted:

making it the perfect metaphor for liberal reality

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

atelier morgan posted:

the us has the theoretical ability to deploy actual marine divisions and properly invade/occupy yemen (or gaza, for that matter), but that ain't happening for a billion 'us will lose ww3' reasons

and they already tried absolutely everything except actually taking massive american casualties during the war

most people aren’t even aware that the invasion of Afghanistan required the cooperation of all neighboring countries except China & Iran. the only place the US could stage a ground operation is through the port of Aden, and that would mean validating the secessionists in the STC. otherwise there’d have to be an amphibious operation in Hodeidah, where the locals would refuse to cooperate in staging American forces.

we basically can’t do anything without our patronage network, and both of our clients who could make a decisive difference already fought Ansar Allah, lost, and don’t want their oil infrastructure hosed with again.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh and let’s not forget that staging American troops in Saudi Arabia caused 9/11.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

and no i don't care if those are not US ships

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

If it hadn't been for Genocide Joe
Gaza'd be free long time ago
What's he even thinking? Does he even know?
Resign you senile rear end in a top hat, Genocide Joe

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

and no i don't care if those are not US ships

HMS USSHIP

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Al-Saqr posted:

Israel is ready for a long truce and increased aid to the Gaza Strip, but Hamas insists on a ceasefire

Read: Hamas knows any "truce" will be immediately broken by Israel

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

absolute military brain geniuses at work in the IDF

======

Israeli officers propose a ceasefire in the north and attack southern Lebanon in case of violation

The Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper revealed a proposal by Israeli officers to impose a two-day ceasefire in the north, and if it is violated, southern Lebanon will be targeted with a forceful attack.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31575;&%231606;

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
If it hadn't been for genocidin' Biden
and his band of creeps bent on genocide-hidin'
Houthis woulda never been raidin'
Container ships in the Gulf of Aden

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al-Saqr posted:

======

Israeli officers propose a ceasefire in the north and attack southern Lebanon in case of violation

The Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper revealed a proposal by Israeli officers to impose a two-day ceasefire in the north, and if it is violated, southern Lebanon will be targeted with a forceful attack.

Loudly proclaiming intent to break a ceasefire while calling for one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yes that's basically Britain

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

======

:psyduck:

What would even be the point of this lol

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sancho Banana posted:

to go "see we did a ceasefire and nobody liked it guess we have no choice but to keep genociding"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

======

absolutely baffling. may God have mercy on your souls

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sancho Banana posted:

bibi stays out of jail for a little while longer

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

======

total war ai rear end nation

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
*Michael Scott voice* I... declare... CEASEFIRE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

wow sounds like Israel is losing the war and should surrender