Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

credburn posted:

When did video games start getting "seasons"?

It's been years now. Ever since the c-suite ghouls started demanding everything has to be live service. Anything to keep selling ten dollar battle passes every couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Facebook groups. You black the 'membership' button and there's a half dozen categories of group members 'friends' 'new members' 'common interests' ect but there's no 'just show me a complete list of members'. gently caress!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Outrail posted:

Facebook groups. You black the 'membership' button and there's a half dozen categories of group members 'friends' 'new members' 'common interests' ect but there's no 'just show me a complete list of members'. gently caress!
I think this may be to hinder people who aren't Facebook from collecting data

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

cat botherer posted:

You complain about things getting smaller, and also if they get bigger.

SANDIMASHIGHSCHOOLFOOTBALL RULES!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Chain stores are absolutely keeping the bare minimum of employees because they’ll save .75c this quarter, yeah? Asking for someone who saw a line wrap around a Marshall’s today.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the Lowes near me never opens the registers anymore. Just 4 self checkout kiosks and a lone employee trying to manage the chaos no matter how big the line gets.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s crazy how paying someone 15$ an hour or whatever ruins their margins

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Hey 2,181x15x15 = some nice floors, or maybe a wine cellar or something.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
not mine but lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Lobster Mobster sounds like the ghostiest of ghost kitchens. There's no way that's an actual restaurant. $40 for a cup of bagged soup from Red Lobster imo

edit: wait that's not the restaurant name. But still could be ghost kitchens, some might say.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

credburn posted:

Back in like 2010/2011 with League of Legends, but LoL was using the term season the same way the NFL , MLB or (insert sport here) would to define the yearly large patch and balance changes and ranked gameplay and tournaments that lead into their world tournament. A good amount of games with esports followed suite and then they started getting used as a term for games with battlepasses and their quarterly or tri yearly updates.

You can also blame Dota 2 and Valve for Battlepasses, actually you can blame valve for a lot of the gaming industries money schemes. Valve created Battlepasses, Loot Boxes that you have to pay real money for a key to open, purchasable weapon skins, always online DRM in the form of Steam, made Early access a thing and more!

TLDR blame Valve and MOBA's for this poo poo

Tythas fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 21, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Lobster Mobster sounds like the ghostiest of ghost kitchens. There's no way that's an actual restaurant. $40 for a cup of bagged soup from Red Lobster imo

edit: wait that's not the restaurant name. But still could be ghost kitchens, some might say.

Duke’s is a real restaurant with several locations in the Seattle area.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Duke’s is a real restaurant with several locations in the Seattle area.

It's been around a pretty long time no?

this did just come into effect, probably will have a double impact on prices as companies take the opportunity to raise prices more with this as an excuse

App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance - LaborStandards

www.seattle.gov posted:

## App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance
Ordinance: SMC 8.37

Rules: SHRR Chapter 240 (Administrative Rules)

Rules: SHRR Chapter 140 (Complaint Procedure)

2024 Notice of Rights for App-Based Workers

On May 31, 2022, City Council passed the App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance, SMC 8.37.

This law is effective on January 13, 2024.

The ordinance applies to certain app-based workers (sometimes referred to as gig workers) and provides for several rights and protections for covered workers. Key rights include:

• Minimum Payment: Right to minimum pay based on the time worked and miles travelled for each offer.
  • Transparency: Right to upfront disclosures of offer-information and right to receipt and payment records.
  • Flexibility: Right to access the network platform without limitations (except for health and safety limitations), right to not be penalized for limiting availability or refusing offers, and the right to cancel an offer with cause.

Minimum compensation: Network companies must pay the greater of

• Minimum per-minute amount of $0.44 and minimum per-mile amount of $0.74

OR

• Minimum per-offer amount of $5

Rate Updates: Updated rates for the per-mile, per-minute, and per-offer amounts are effective on January 13, 2024, and January 1 of each year thereafter. These rates will increase based on annual inflation and standard mileage rate adjustments. The first adjustment of per-offer amount will be on January 1, 2025.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So nice of doordash to let everyone know they're being extra greedy fucks and passing the buck onto you (because they are now required to pay a real wage) rather than like, the CEO/CSuite not having individual private jets or whatever.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That explanation is definitely an attempt to get people cranky about those Lucky Ducky DoorDash workers and not the fact the bill is inflated without it, with their $26.50 minimum wage BEFORE TIPS AND FEES :argh::mad:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
ubereats is doing more or less the same poo poo, though their website also got shittier in that i live in an apartment complex and they recently updated something so now our address puts the pin in the completely wrong spot, so any attempt at ordering requires manually guiding a dude past where the app says they should deliver it

it was working fine for months and now it's just hosed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cerekk posted:

not mine but lol

lmao

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

Apparently the price hike to charging $70 for games wasn't enough and publishers are already eyeing the $80 to $100 price point for as early as 2027. gently caress this. I haven't bought a new game Elden Ring, and I think that'll be the last one I ever pay for. If I can't pirate it, I don't care.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
don't worry, replacing all the artists and writers with AI will reduce costs so that more of that $100 will go directly to shareholder value

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Time_pants posted:

Apparently the price hike to charging $70 for games wasn't enough and publishers are already eyeing the $80 to $100 price point for as early as 2027. gently caress this. I haven't bought a new game Elden Ring, and I think that'll be the last one I ever pay for. If I can't pirate it, I don't care.

the sheer amount of money I paid for Crusader Kings II :negative:
at least it was spread across years and cheaper than a comparatively (lol) sized board game

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

mawarannahr posted:

It's been around a pretty long time no?

this did just come into effect, probably will have a double impact on prices as companies take the opportunity to raise prices more with this as an excuse

App-Based Worker Minimum Payment Ordinance - LaborStandards

Just stop ordering delivery imo

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Just stop ordering delivery imo

You can also just call the restaurant directly if they have their own drivers. It’s way cheaper and more of the money goes to the people who do the actual work.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

You can also just call the restaurant directly if they have their own drivers. It’s way cheaper and more of the money goes to the people who do the actual work.

Call? On a phone?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Seriously most people I know that are my age, in their mid-30's or younger, would rather chew off their own arm than make a phone call. They'll exchange ten emails to resolve something that would take three minutes on the phone. They'll chat online with terrible AI customer service robots that can't do anything for them. They'll use delivery apps and pay $$$ in fees. Anything to avoid a short verbal conversation. Anything.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They'll chat online with terrible AI customer service robots that can't do anything for them.

It's not like the call center wage slave can do much of anything for them either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sometimes you can also go to a restaurant and eat inside of it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Seriously most people I know that are my age, in their mid-30's or younger, would rather chew off their own arm than make a phone call. They'll exchange ten emails to resolve something that would take three minutes on the phone. They'll chat online with terrible AI customer service robots that can't do anything for them. They'll use delivery apps and pay $$$ in fees. Anything to avoid a short verbal conversation. Anything.

Hell Let Loose is a WWII FPS milsim I play that has had a poo poo ton of new people playing as it's been added to Gamepass. Communication is essential, more so than any other game I have ever played.

I kid you not I see a lot of posts on Reddit where people say "Please consider those with social anxiety when complaining about people refusing to use their microphones."

I try not to be all "kids these days" but we are just the biggest group of sheltered, anxiety ridden cucumbers and we need to get the gently caress over it

Beastie fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 21, 2024

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

There's a Wawa that was built near me that still hasn't opened despite having been completed several months ago because they can't find enough people to work there.

There's a bunch of signs posted out front advertising that they pay $15/hr. That number hasn't changed in the 3-4 months it has sat empty since it was completed. You'd think they would bump that number up until they get enough people to open the store so they can, you know, actually make some loving money but then again I'm not a big brain MBA.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Pretty much every restaurant where I live has stopped doing their own delivery and just tells me to use the apps when I call

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Maybe instead of pretending phone calls are ever the correct solution we could make the systems that aren't phone calls less poo poo. We have a state ubereats/grubhub etc. alternative that I'm convinced is just somebody calling the restaurant.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

euphronius posted:

If we do this then the people working there see my sister and brother in law dip all their Chinese food in ranch and one of the last things I have left is my Chinese food cred

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

euphronius posted:

Prolonged face to face contact with another human? I'll eat my $50 steak and truffle wafered fingerling potatoes in my car thankyouverymuch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wash bucket posted:

It's not like the call center wage slave can do much of anything for them either.

You're always going to get more help talking to a human person on the phone than a chat or an email or anything else. Even if it's not much help.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Maybe instead of pretending phone calls are ever the correct solution we could make the systems that aren't phone calls less poo poo. We have a state ubereats/grubhub etc. alternative that I'm convinced is just somebody calling the restaurant.

I hope this happens at some point, the alternatives to phone calls getting better, but it hasn't happened yet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Am I just old that I will always default to pickup? If I'm in a city and it's a 20 minute walk, I'm walking.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah it's this. Whenever a company doesn't want to deal with you or doesn't want you to do something they force you to call because they know they can turn that into a huge pain in the rear end designed to make you give up (i swear if I have to listen to another automated voice tell me to listen carefully to the options as they have recently changed....)

It should be straight up illegal for a company to force you to call to cancel a service. Literally everything with a recurring payment should be required to have a one step cancellation button on their site.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

Am I just old that I will always default to pickup? If I'm in a city and it's a 20 minute walk, I'm walking.

That sounds more like a living in a walkable city thing than an old thing. The closest restaurant to me is 10 miles away.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

That sounds more like a living in a walkable city thing than an old thing. The closest restaurant to me is 10 miles away.

A 20 minute drive seems somewhat equivalent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

redshirt posted:

I get delivery because there is no restaurant in walking distance and I'm always drunk, so I'm not driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

Isnt your food going to be cold and lovely after 20 minutes walking back with it?