Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It’s fun looking at the official strategy guide, and seeing what they have listed as S-rank difficulty ratings for all the missions.

They have coral convergence as max difficulty, while I thought IBIS was much easier on a third run with max parts.

Meanwhile they have illegal entry, BAWS infiltration, and coral export denial as 4 stars, while I think those are some of the toughest for S rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

yeah, i thought juggernaut was easy and spider was hard. i genuinely felt the game was quite challenging but that's probably because i played with parts that i thought looked cool rather than seemed statistically effective. basically, another example of FROM cleverly integrating variable difficulty into the structure of their games without actually having difficulty settings, which IMO is genius game design and in the abstract a big part of why people continue to praise them

yeah, I definitely had my ace mech (a missile boat) that I'd pull out for tough missions, but messed around with lots of other parts for most of the game. there's so much gear in the game that there's no way you'd see the breadth of it otherwise

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Glagha posted:

I love this game and am currently working on playthrough 2 but even as much as I say I like this game and wanna keep playing it I hate every single boss fight with a burning passion and Sekiro is one of my favorite Fromsoft games. The boss design in this game is super cool and extremely unfun to fight every single time, not a single one of them did I enjoy

You'll get full tuning soon and with it they'll become much easier.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Glagha posted:

I love this game and am currently working on playthrough 2 but even as much as I say I like this game and wanna keep playing it I hate every single boss fight with a burning passion and Sekiro is one of my favorite Fromsoft games. The boss design in this game is super cool and extremely unfun to fight every single time, not a single one of them did I enjoy

Snailteus and Ayre are the only fun bosses imo

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Big fan of the enforcer, ibis, and basically every multi-AC fight personally

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Enforcer is such a dope fight. Also, Walter.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I loved pretty much every fight except Worm, which I love the concept and spectacle of but it's very much if you miss twice in Phase 3 you just throw your head back and sigh in frustration.

There's also a brilliant From difficulty built into the game in that most enemies are more dangerous if you play passively and things even out as you gain the skill and confidence to try to rush to meet them.

I couldn't do S Ranks as soon as I discovered bosses heavily incentivize not taking damage. I got gud, but getting that gud would probably ruin the game for me since I'm mostly allergic to repetitive tedium like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even outside of phase 3, Worm is just an autoscroller. Just a lot of waiting.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Just for fun I beat Juggernaut and Balteus using the default start AC. Now I want to fight pre-patch Balteus even more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wash bucket posted:

Just for fun I beat Juggernaut and Balteus using the default start AC. Now I want to fight pre-patch Balteus even more.

Unnerfed Bosses has you covered, friend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A toggle in the Snailteus mission where you insult him over comms and he gets so mad he disables "safety limiters" and uses pre-patch Balteus data on you. :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doomykins posted:

A toggle in the Snailteus mission where you insult him over comms and he gets so mad he disables "safety limiters" and uses pre-patch Balteus data on you. :getin:

Ace Combat d-pad dialogue options. Remain silent or let 621 loose

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I also decided to check out Armored Core 1 tonight and... video games have come a long way. I can excuse the graphics but the controls are cave man poo poo. The triggers look up and down if that gives you any idea. No support for analog sticks naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5T3qScKWrE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wash bucket posted:

I also decided to check out Armored Core 1 tonight and... video games have come a long way. I can excuse the graphics but the controls are cave man poo poo. The triggers look up and down if that gives you any idea. No support for analog sticks naturally.

It took until literally Demon's Souls until FROM figured out what a game controller was and how to map buttons to it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

War Wizard posted:

You'll get full tuning soon and with it they'll become much easier.

It's not even difficulty like I like Sekiro I can handle a tough boss, it just feels like the game insists I play exactly the build they had in mind for each boss no variation, 90% of parts become useless, do the Correct Build or go gently caress yourself. Oh you brought a bazooka to most of the bosses in this game? He's gonna teleport to another zip code pick up a quick coffee have a smoke, come back, quick boost three times in the time it takes you to fire one weapon and then stun lock you for 75% of your AP. They just feel like they're designed for an entirely different game

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Glagha posted:

It's not even difficulty like I like Sekiro I can handle a tough boss, it just feels like the game insists I play exactly the build they had in mind for each boss no variation, 90% of parts become useless, do the Correct Build or go gently caress yourself. Oh you brought a bazooka to most of the bosses in this game? He's gonna teleport to another zip code pick up a quick coffee have a smoke, come back, quick boost three times in the time it takes you to fire one weapon and then stun lock you for 75% of your AP. They just feel like they're designed for an entirely different game

So, I don't disagree that bosses tend to have a 'best build,' but i do think that the feeling you describe recedes the more you play the game. There are easier and harder options but you can pretty much use any decently-concieved build to beat anything.

First ng-ng++ playthrough I used only one build for everything, but I was absolutely making it harder for myself by doing that. This playthrough I'm using only one build again and crushing everything, which is no doubt a consequence of greater experience

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wash bucket posted:

That's because, when Armored Core 1 released for PS1, analogue sticks didn't exist. They were trying to make full 3D controls using only the original PS1 pad, and given those limitations, they made something exceptional.

...And then they kept using it for six more games, well into the PS2 era. But in their defense, the first analog stick controls they had for Nexus felt worse than that. It wasn't until 4 you actually had good analog controls.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:stare:

"This doesn't match the battle data I have on Raven!"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Glagha posted:

Bazookas trivialize bosses, actually. Too strong after the buffs.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bazookas trivialize bosses, actually. Too strong after the buffs.

The gently caress do you mean trivialize? Because they're the only things capable of doing significant damage to any boss in the stagger window because every single boss fight is dodge incessantly while painfully slowly whittling them down with the only weapons that can actually hit them and then you get about 0.3 seconds to get ONE damage dump in and do like 20% before the boss becomes nearly invincible again. Rinse and repeat. Is there some god tech where bazookas will hit anything other than air 95% of the time?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

The gently caress do you mean trivialize? Because they're the only things capable of doing significant damage to any boss in the stagger window because every single boss fight is dodge incessantly while painfully slowly whittling them down with the only weapons that can actually hit them and then you get about 0.3 seconds to get ONE damage dump in and do like 20% before the boss becomes nearly invincible again. Rinse and repeat. Is there some god tech where bazookas will hit anything other than air 95% of the time?

dual up on the zimmerman shotguns and familiarize yourself with boost-kicking. congratulations, you can now vaporize every boss's health bar with ease

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oxxidation posted:

dual up on the zimmerman shotguns and familiarize yourself with boost-kicking. congratulations, you can now vaporize every boss's health bar with ease

Zimmermans got nerfed and that sometimes works I guess except that again on like half the bosses outside of like the first few if you try to boost kick them half the time they will immediately just boost behind you and then unload on you while you're animation locked. And "hey if you're having a rough time use the one good weapon and the one good ability" does not refute my complaint that all the bosses boil you into a single build and are horseshit for anything else

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wash bucket posted:

No support for analog sticks naturally.

good thing we live in the future

https://github.com/VanLaser/analog-controls-for-armored-core-ps2

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Glagha posted:

Bosses like to play the big telegraphed moves and openings game, which does give zooks room to work if you want to play it by-the-rules, but in most cases you can just press the assault boost button then unload point blank to end the fight in seconds.

Majestics have some of the best available DPS/IPS, so they do the trick.

Glagha posted:

Zimmermans got nerfed and that sometimes works I guess except that again on like half the bosses outside of like the first few if you try to boost kick them half the time they will immediately just boost behind you and then unload on you while you're animation locked. And "hey if you're having a rough time use the one good weapon and the one good ability" does not refute my complaint that all the bosses boil you into a single build and are horseshit for anything else

Who are these "bosses" and are they in the room with you right now?

No, for real, you'll have to be a little more concrete here since the only two bosses who pull the teleport behind you trick (CEL and Ayre) are very easy to nail with zooks.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 21, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

i played it post-nerf and ripped through most of them so fast they sometimes didn't get time to finish their combat dialogue. if they gave me trouble then i switched to a Big Boy build and gatling'd them to death. people have torn the game in two with way more adventurous builds than that. i think you might just be hesitating, which leads to defeat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it may also be possible they're not using the lock-on correctly. took me seven hours to figure that out!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What do you even think is the "Correct Build"?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glagha posted:

Do you know how stagger works? You get a decent amount of time to line it up, but as soon as you clip a staggered enemy with a single bullet, the enemy gets to move and the stagger timer starts going away faster. Means a bazooka is great if you know what you're doing, but if you make a mistake, it's hard to land the shot.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Also worth noting that bazookas and shotguns are special in that they extend stagger duration, giving them some mix up potential.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Why does everyone feel the need to come in here and tell me exactly how I'm playing wrong or how the game gets better after NG+12 or whatever I didn't ask for advice and in fact said I like the game and I like challenging boss fights I just find the boss design annoying and I have to now defend every point or complaint I make against all comers.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Personally I don't like bazookas very much, melee weapons are a great stagger damage choice and also are cooler. there are lots of builds that work in this game

but yeah fair enough re: everyone including me going WELL ACTUALLY

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bro you the one coming in here swinging that bazookas are bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

pile bunker supremacy, wipe out any ac immediately

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bro you the one coming in here swinging that bazookas are bad.

I'm sorry I didn't respect the meta I guess? Excuse me I'll go look up the reddit thread for the correct canonical best in slot builds next time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you pilot giant robots the way you argue then it's no wonder you're getting your rear end whupped

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

wait hang on are you calling ACs bosses or are you talking about balteus and sea spider and stuff im not trying to pile on i just wonder what you're talking about with boosting around you

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Glagha posted:

I'm sorry I didn't respect the meta I guess? Excuse me I'll go look up the reddit thread for the correct canonical best in slot builds next time.

For real if you're gonna whine that bosses demand "the Correct Build" better at least have some idea of what that is ahead of time or you're just gonna show your rear end.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Zooks kind of require you to play Souls style, where you need to wait for a punish window.

More sustain DPS guns call for you to play Sekiro style, where you constantly apply pressure.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm so sorry for casting shade on god's own game that Fromsoft descended from heaven to deliver unto our hands. How dare I give a game a 9/10, had a good time, found this frustrating, wished this mechanic was better. I will ensure that next time I provide my credentials to prove that I am in fact a True Gamer and know ALL the tech before I dare to think "man I find this weapon difficult to use" and make sure I complete at least 14 playthroughs of the game before daring to criticize. Seriously the only reason I got heated about any of this is because EVERYONE decided it was time to slide in and UM ACKSHUALLY me because I was salty about like, SOME of this game.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

wait hang on are you calling ACs bosses or are you talking about balteus and sea spider and stuff im not trying to pile on i just wonder what you're talking about with boosting around you

And I mean yes actual bosses but also any of the harder AC duel fights but like, especially like CEL 240 and Ayre and poo poo. Maybe it was just because it was several of these in a row, with Rusty in between who is just in constant bee mode flitting around your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

if you pilot giant robots the way you argue then it's no wonder you're getting your rear end whupped