Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
In the VR mod, your translator, signal scope and and scout launcher get moved to your waist belt, and you can reach down and grab them with the grip button to use them. Another control that’s different in VR is that you tap your head twice with either hand to toggle the flashlight on and off.

Angela Merkle Tree fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

In the VR mod, your translator, signal scope and and scout launcher get moved to your waist belt, and you can reach down and grab them with the grip button to use them. Another control that’s different in VR is that you tap your head twice with either hand to toggle the flashlight on and off.

That's super helpful, thank you!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Elman posted:

I would argue The Witness is similar to Outer Wilds, but completely focused on the puzzle side of things and not the plot. It's a shame it has no story and just a lot of pretentiousness. It's a really awesome game.

Also someone else mentioned La Mulana 1 and 2, and I really agree. They really scratch that itch, but they're vastly different experiences. You're looking at a difficult metroidvania with hardcore puzzle-solving (really hardcore as in "you must have a notebook next to you and write down/map out everything you learn because it will be relevant, maybe hours later"). It is incredibly satisfying to solve the puzzles though.
real life notebook, poo poo. for LM2 i had a OneNote doc full of tablet screenshots that I could text-search (thanks OCR!) and i still had to look up a few puzzles

that game owns

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
If you vibe with Rain World's oppressive atmosphere, it is one of the most highly rewarding and unique experiences you can have. The lore in that game is so neat and its organic presentation is bar none.

But yes, you are at the bottom of the food chain in an unforgiving world so it can be borderline masochistic and feel unfair at times. I'd say that La Mulana still takes the cake there, though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

real life notebook, poo poo. for LM2 i had a OneNote doc full of tablet screenshots that I could text-search (thanks OCR!) and i still had to look up a few puzzles

that game owns

I really wanted to make La Mulana work with a real notebook but it was way too annoying to track the graphical clues. I want to replay it again sometime.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Damaged my ship so got out in space to do some repairs, misjudged how far off planet I was and watched in horror as it reentered the atmosphere and I was left floating there. Managed to burn my thrusters and was almost out of fuel when I managed to catch the planet and make my landing, which also meant I discovered the quantum poetry, which in turn lead me to Gabbro on the Ocean Planet where he was the first person to say,"Hey so we're in a time loop an-" and then the whole solar system blew up.

Game loving rules!

Edit: I have two achievements so far, one is for picking up all the instruments at the start of the game and the other is for dying within 60 seconds of the loop restarting because I flew directly into the path of the sun :lol:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 21, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
What’s funny is that everyone has nearly identical early experiences, to the point it could be on rails, but it isn’t, and it feels so natural and emergent that it makes it real and impactful for each and every player. It’s absolute loving lightning in a bottle, and I wish if there was a GameDev school, this would be a mandatory lesson.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, every single time I've played so far I've felt like I'm just going wherever I want/doing as I like and if they've managed to pull that off while still pointing me in the direction I should be going then that's a-ok by me.

Love the experience of seeing something and thinking,"What the gently caress was that?" (like the station exploding right at the start of the loop) and knowing that at any point I could go find out exactly what the gently caress that was!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Extremely minor tip that's one of the few things that's probably okay being said: go back and talk to Gabbro a second time soon

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Extremely minor tip that's one of the few things that's probably okay being said: go back and talk to Gabbro a second time soon

Absolutely read this.

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: I have two achievements so far, one is for picking up all the instruments at the start of the game and the other is for dying within 60 seconds of the loop restarting because I flew directly into the path of the sun :lol:

My man.

Soundtrack to your sun-landing any% speedruns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C59AUL804WQ

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

that game owns

Well in reality I used a .txt and an excel file:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, every single time I've played so far I've felt like I'm just going wherever I want/doing as I like and if they've managed to pull that off while still pointing me in the direction I should be going then that's a-ok by me.

Love the experience of seeing something and thinking,"What the gently caress was that?" (like the station exploding right at the start of the loop) and knowing that at any point I could go find out exactly what the gently caress that was!

I love that if you're quick enough you can shoot off after the probe and catch up with it. Even though there's nothing really specific to do with it, it was still a cool moment and left me with a bunch of questions when I first did it.

God I cannot tell you how much I want another game like this. Idk if a sequel would cheapen the absolute self contained perfection of OW but I know I'd play the hell out of it.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I just started replaying this with the VR mod and I am absolutely blown away. I've only gone through one loop and I'm noticing different things.

I played the DLC and the base game on two different platforms, so I'm excited to complete the game and then do the DLC because I'm aware of the ending differences.

Has anyone in here tried the other mods? Particularly the new locations?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The co-op mod is really really well done and fun

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I read good things about The Outsider (most consistently positive, more puzzle heavy), Christmas Story (also very positive but rather new), and The Vision (positive but slightly less so than the other two).

I'm planning to play each of them.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 21, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carefully landing my ship on the station orbiting the water planet and doing a space walk floating out to where the observation glass was shattered to bypass the damaged internal entry was so loving tense, holy gently caress :aaa:

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I think seeing this thread bounce up and down in my bookmarks got me to finally try the DLC - I bought it when it came out but got cold feet in starting it since I felt apprehensive at re-learning the flight controls. Turns out, it wasn't so bad, especially since the only thing you need the ship for is crashing into the launch bay or as close to the hole in the hull. For the latter I was grateful I took a picture of the clue for that on my phone given some of the mentions I saw skimming older posts of folks not remembering where it was.

I loved the expansion and the mood. So many of the early beats were incredible - riding the raft for the first time, and hearing the crash of the dam and seeing the wave advancing my way down the ring. I actually really enjoyed the slide show memories as an alternative for world building.. I also liked the theme of light as a mechanic. The airlock intro was great for that and I spent a lot of time early on having fun pointing the flashlight at everything. And I liked some of the VR world subtleties of the artifact lighting candles, and doors opening or closing based on light.

And I hated the part that seems to be mostly hated. I thought even with the "easier sneak mode" flag it was still annoyingly hard. And in catching up with the thread that was after they nerfed some of the encounters? OOF. I ended up needing a hint with one, which I kicked myself for not getting and felt like this game's version of the original's Ash Twin Project teleporter, and I got so angry and flustered that I just looked up the lesson you learn from the third sequence I did to skip needing to sneak around after way too many attempts.

I had some smaller disappointments mostly around missed opportunities. Like some other folks, I thought the presence of ghost matter might have meant the Strangers had something to do with the interloper, or maybe we'd learn something about dark bramble - could it have been from their galaxy?. The end/ending glitched out for me and I had to look up part of it, for whatever reason when I got to the Prisoner I couldn't use the vision staff - the rb button to use it just didn't work and the tooltip never showed up. I had to go watch some videos to make sure I wasn't going crazy and them handing me it wasn't it.. It was easy enough to replay to though. I thought the tail end of the game was very... gamey, for lack of a better term, where it was clear you needed to get the three macguffins to unlock the three things, but I appreciated that they were fairly quick and straight-forward instead of some of the annoying timing/anxiety of the end of the main game.

All in all, I was glad for the chance to re-experience the game, despite the warts. I appreciate all the random links to streamers going through stuff for the first time, I'm looking forward to seeing some of how people dealt with the areas I struggled with.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

GlyphGryph posted:

I did not particularly like Fez and didnt really get the hype for Tunic... Its a fine game, but I got nothing remotely Outer Wilds like from it and its ending felt a little limp, and the fairy hunting you have to do to get it was boring. Enjoyable to sequence break but a lot more like a traditional metroidvania than anything else.

For games Id suggest to people who like Outer Wilds, depending on what they liked about it:

Rain World - an exploration game in a very cool if unforgiving world where you uncover the backstory behind a lost civilization and eventually come to terms with death

Subnautica - a chill and casual exploration game with some scary bits and lots of cool looking places to explore, plus you get to build submarines

Obra Dinn - because nearly every OW player I know has loved it, it really gets that "bringing everything together in a satisfying way" but that Outer Wilds does so well.

Star Control 2 / UrQuan Masters - a game where you fly around your spaceship exploring the galaxy, meeting aliens and trying to stop the pkunk from killing themselves. Not a super close match for outer wilds fans, but it is imo one of the best games of the 90s and this is an excuse to recommend it

Kerbal Space Program - this is for people who really like flying spaceships in mini solar systems where velocity snd gravity matter

Firewatch isnt much like most of outer wilds, but it has some of the same feelings. I cant quite describe why im suggesting it, but it feels right to do so, maybe because of the camping vibes Outer Wilds leans heavily on

Elsinore - I suggest this time loop game mostly because the people who made Outer Wilds clearly loved it, since theg only really included one easter egg in the game and its a scene from Elsinore!

Yesss, Ur-Quan Masters. Lots of cool galaxy-scale poo poo that boggles your mind in between meeting all the funny muppet aliens.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
reminder that once you've finished the Stranger DLC stuff, go do the base game endgame sequence again for some DLC-related changes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yesss, Ur-Quan Masters. Lots of cool galaxy-scale poo poo that boggles your mind in between meeting all the funny muppet aliens.

I still have trouble believing it was made by the same people that made Skylanders, the new Crash Bandicoot, a Tony Hawk game, one of the newer Call of Duty games and now, after all that time, they're finally back to working on a new Star Control game, 30 years later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I might be completely (and hilariously) misreading what is going on, but I just did the Southern Observatory in Brittle Hollow and it "explained" one thing that had been bugging me all game: the probe always firing off in a different direction at the start of each loop - and now that it seems this was by design it just makes me love the game even more. I am having a blast exploring, even if I do sometimes run headfirst into the wall of my need to fully explore every single aspect of an area before moving on, even though I suspect from the rumors that I'm intended to go explore other planets to find solutions to get past the roadblocks.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
For some reason I got properly stuck on accessing the black hole forge. I spent hours trying different ways of hopping up the wall, trying to ride on the forge itself while it moved etc etc. It just would not click. Imagine my frustration when I looked it up and realised how simple it actually was.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think a very funny thing about Outer Wilds is that it allows you to do really difficult flight maneuvers to get places, but you never have to. So many people end up doing things the hard way because they think they're supposed to and only later do they learn of the much easier method.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm still convinced I did some steps harder than they needed to be, and I've missed the 'proper' solution, despite finishing the game multiple times.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

There is only one true way to access the sun station and you all know it. :madmax:

Man I still remember the first time I got to that place and finally pieced together what was happening. The universe is ending, it does not care about the Nomai or the Hearthians, it certainly doesn't care about you. This universe is on its last legs and there is nothing you can do about it.

Shot from enjoyable exploration game to instant classic by reframing my entire playthrough with just a couple of lines.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

There is only one true way to access the sun station and you all know it. :madmax:

Man I still remember the first time I got to that place and finally pieced together what was happening. The universe is ending, it does not care about the Nomai or the Hearthians, it certainly doesn't care about you. This universe is on its last legs and there is nothing you can do about it.

Shot from enjoyable exploration game to instant classic by reframing my entire playthrough with just a couple of lines.

It's also just such an incredible feat of game design that causes most players to reach that place late in the game. There are so many other easier options for exploration for most of the game, why would you beat your head against getting into that tower until it becomes clear that's the way to the sun station and you have nothing better to do?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ash Twin is generally really smart. When you do an early cycle flyby it's just sand and looks barren and it's not immediately obvious there's much to pay attention. By late cycle most of the sand has drained and it's clear there's something serious going on there, but most people aren't doing a late cycle flyby of it since you're likely deep in somewhere else.

And yes, as a general point the game has very good ways of discouraging travel to "late game" areas. Also see Dark Bramble.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I finally got that achievement today. That was tense.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Nothing beats making it to the sun station using just your flying skills. Sometimes I still load up the game to have a go at doing it because it's so fun and satisfying when you nail it. My only complaint is that it's very difficult to reliably get out of your ship and make the last step into the thing with the crazy gravity. I feel like once you've synchronised orbit with the station you should be able to safely get out and jet over without the very real chance of careening off into the flames.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STOP FILLING UP WITH SAND, PATHWAY TO THE HIGH ENERGY CHAMBER! :argh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

My only complaint is that it's very difficult to reliably get out of your ship and make the last step into the thing with the crazy gravity.

This is what The Button is for.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jerusalem posted:

STOP FILLING UP WITH SAND, PATHWAY TO THE HIGH ENERGY CHAMBER! :argh:

I envy you; optimizing the speedrun to the High Energy Lab was one of my favorite bits of the game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ThomasPaine posted:

Nothing beats making it to the sun station using just your flying skills. Sometimes I still load up the game to have a go at doing it because it's so fun and satisfying when you nail it. My only complaint is that it's very difficult to reliably get out of your ship and make the last step into the thing with the crazy gravity. I feel like once you've synchronised orbit with the station you should be able to safely get out and jet over without the very real chance of careening off into the flames.

yeah problem is that unless you set your ship to rotate at the same rate as it goes around the sun (is that even reliably possible?), gravity is gonna be 'shifting' around.

but of course:

GlyphGryph posted:

This is what The Button is for.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ThomasPaine posted:

Apparently it’s easier to get a hang of the gravity if you actually land your ship on top of the station - then you have sure footing exiting the ship before you jump down and try to navigate into the station.

spoiling to hide the preview, this was the technique I used: https://youtu.be/hLHShjNtneo?si=6THWLwCSutSlPo2K

Mykroft fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 25, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I actually enjoy using The Button for almost all my landings since I discovered it. Especially in co-op.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally made it inside the Black Hole forge! :sickos:

Oh... it's just reinforcing information I already figured out elsewhere? That's okay, I still got to add to the ship's log! I also while exploring found a reference to a way inside the Interloper's surface that I couldn't find when I was looking earlier, so I guess I'll go there next. Then it's back to Ember Twin to try and get to that Anglerfish Fossil before the sand fills in the Stepping Stones cave, that should free me up to be ready to tackle going down under the current in Giant's Deep!

God this game rules.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I completed the non-DLC portion of the Outer Wilds back in 2022 and my understanding at the time was that the DLC was essentially a separate experience and something you had to access quite deliberately (perhaps more-so than the rest of the base game), so when I found the observatory's "new exhibit" and the Timber Hearth radio tower I basically just left it at that. At the time I completed the base game I felt that it was a heavy-enough experience that I didn't want to weight that down further with the DLC just yet.

So after a year and a half I booted the Outer Wilds up again yesterday, spent two hours dicking around because it's fun, and then figured out how to enter the Stranger. To be honest, it wasn't really what I was expecting at all, but I think I have an idea of how the DLC will both be a separate experience but also tie into the greater story line. Unfortunately I don't really have time right now to properly enjoy the experience so I shelved my save for now, but I'm going to be thinking about this for a while.

It was either that, Obra Dinn, or the Forgotten City.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I still don't know what they were thinking putting extremely hard, barely lit stealth segments into a time loop exploration game where getting caught a couple of times wastes so many previous minutes and often equals a pointless slog back up to the stranger from timber hearth.

A nice little QoL feature would be having a little shortcut button to warp straight to the interior of the stranger from the TH launchpad once you've initially discovered it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 27, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

God this game rules.

Please write at length about all your thoughts and theories, our diet is vicarious experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
On the topic of vicariously experiencing, generally chill YouTuber angory tom is doing a blind OW playthrough series right now. It's going very well and I'd recommend it strongly (the very first thing he decided to do was dark bramble!).
The downside is it's locked behind his $5 channel membership :/