Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

I investigated the Strange Noise in Moonrise and Karlach got a Dislocated Shoulder debuff. I did a quick search online to see if there was any way other than a long rest to cure it (I have the Shar's Blessings until long rest and don't wanna lose them as long as I can) and I came across this article.

I know that lovely AI-generated garbage has already begun getting pushed out en masse by various publication sites, but this article is on a whole different level. I was already pushing back sleep deprivation when I found it and I feel like I was hitting fever-dream levels of "I need to go to loving bed". Some of these lines are just :dafuq:

Some mad wizard posted:

You can find the Druid Gale in Druid Grove, Cazador, which also has herbal remedies that can speed the healing of dislocated joints over a long rest.

In the goblin encampment, the hag Hagberry may assist, but she will demand a favor in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
the Grey Goo scenario, but for SEO

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DarkHorse posted:

Karlach is the sweetest, kindest, most lovable brick shithouse who will ever throw a car at me and I will deserve it

Lae'zel is a desert cactus who needs just a little bit of care and tenderness to show her true love and then she steps on you like a bug

Now do Minthara.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cryte Lynn posted:

I investigated the Strange Noise in Moonrise and Karlach got a Dislocated Shoulder debuff. I did a quick search online to see if there was any way other than a long rest to cure it (I have the Shar's Blessings until long rest and don't wanna lose them as long as I can) and I came across this article.

I know that lovely AI-generated garbage has already begun getting pushed out en masse by various publication sites, but this article is on a whole different level. I was already pushing back sleep deprivation when I found it and I feel like I was hitting fever-dream levels of "I need to go to loving bed". Some of these lines are just :dafuq:

Yeah. AI is gonna make searching for answers absolutely worthless. Better to just ask in SA. No machine is shelling out 10bux to scrape this nursing home.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CobiWann posted:

Now do Minthara.

I accidentally killed her because 1) I didn't know she was a potential party member until I looted her underwear and 2) she was where I learned the non-lethal setting doesn't apply for ranged/elemental damage.

Spared a bunch of lovely goblins and murked a fellow drow :/

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

roomtone posted:

you know what is annoying

people being like 'lol i played as 4 gnomes and just did all the evil choices' 'here's how the underdark reacts to 50 INSANE DROWS'

no none of that happened
and if it did, the only reasons you sat there and pushed yourself through it was for 'content', it's both agonising and boring to actually do

you played a more or less good whatever and agonised over all the difficult choices, like everybody else

these games are actually fun and the need to have a clickbait headline that is vaguely backed up is killing everything in life

Liar :mad:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Minthara is a Venus Flytrap: don't stick your dick in it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Now do Minthara.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

I accidentally killed her because 1) I didn't know she was a potential party member until I looted her underwear and 2) she was where I learned the non-lethal setting doesn't apply for ranged/elemental damage.

Spared a bunch of lovely goblins and murked a fellow drow :/
Weird; at release you could only loot her clothes if you KO'd her instead of killing her.

Is she recruitable independently of the grove now if you KO her?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Weird; at release you could only loot her clothes if you KO'd her instead of killing her.

I saw someone say that's how you could recruit her without doing a genocide. Knock her out and then she shows up again in a later act

And she was definitely dead not KO'd because I picked up her parasite. She was the only one who didn't have stars either

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Instructions unclear. Minthara now respecced to Druid.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

I saw someone say that's how you could recruit her without doing a genocide. Knock her out and then she shows up again in a later act

And she was definitely dead not KO'd because I picked up her parasite. She was the only one who didn't have stars either
I remember she bails and gets put on the block at Moonrise even if you do said genocide so it's weird they didn't work this out in time for launch.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shumagorath posted:

You can definitely loot Minthara's "casual clothes" because she's dead dead on my playthrough. I put it on Astarion. Honestly it's probably less revealing on him than it was on her.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. AI is gonna make searching for answers absolutely worthless. Better to just ask in SA. No machine is shelling out 10bux to scrape this nursing home.

The wiki is also excellent.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

I remember she bails and gets put on the block at Moonrise even if you do said genocide so it's weird they didn't work this out in time for launch.

She'll show up at Moonrise whether or not the raid happens because killing the druids wasn't her actual mission, which she fails no matter what.

But yeah they patched the ability to use simple non-lethal damage to KO her and be able to pick her up later while still siding with the druid grove rather than the goblins.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You remind me of depictions of the future of like a character that only communicates through screen caps.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’ve KO’d people with damage riders still activated, I hope someone smarter than me who has done actual science can chime in but this is my guess:

If you have an attack set to do 1d8 + 4 physical and 1d4 lightning, and choose Nonlethal, as long as the first damage instance knocks them out - you’re okay. If you roll 1+4 and they have 1 HP left afterwards and you roll 1 lightning - the lightning kills them.

I could be totally wrong but either way take all the extra sources off for when you need to knock them out. But sometimes it works. I’ve had Karlach knock people out with the +2 acid ring on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I KO’d her completely unintentionally both times I played Act 1 by using Pommel Strike.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they have it now so you can knock her out. It's safest to make sure you put her down first and then do everything else in the castle.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I accidentally rocked the nice old lady you meet in act 1 a little too hard during the fight on my second playthrough. Her bargaining in the first playthrough was very affecting but I guess she doesn't get to do it if you do a certain amount of damage before she gets another turn. Shame.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Eifert Posting posted:

I accidentally rocked the nice old lady you meet in act 1 a little too hard during the fight on my second playthrough. Her bargaining in the first playthrough was very affecting but I guess she doesn't get to do it if you do a certain amount of damage before she gets another turn. Shame.

I still haven't had her survive round one. Very fragile.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You have to get her below 10% HP or so, and her turn has to come up again. So if she’s down to low health just skip everyone else until the turn order loops back around. She’ll only bargain with the closest character in proximity so that’s a convenient time to move whatever party member you want to actually negotiate over to her.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I have ko'd my teammates so many times with persistent AOE spells that keep going after combat ends.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I finished my Honor Mode playthrough. This was my first replay since I played through at launch. The same sections of the game jump out to be as being some of the best ever. Rosymorn and generally late Act 1/Act 2 are really, really exceptional. Act 3 is still kind of buggy and janky in places, especially in a mode where you can lose 50 hours of progress.

Luckily all the really hard/frustrating places are optional and you can actually beat Act 3 with only like 2 major fights.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is it pretty much a given that this game is going to get an enhanced/definitive edition? Act 3 needs a lot of polish.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The game made Larian such a truckload of money they immediately pivoted from "we're probably done when we launch this" to "we are literally calling the voice actors back up right now" so DLCs and an Enhanced Edition that bundles them into the base game seem like very safe bets, yes.

iirc we had a discussion of this on the first or second page and the initial splash was like 10x what their high water mark was predicting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I finished my Honor Mode playthrough. This was my first replay since I played through at launch. The same sections of the game jump out to be as being some of the best ever. Rosymorn and generally late Act 1/Act 2 are really, really exceptional. Act 3 is still kind of buggy and janky in places, especially in a mode where you can lose 50 hours of progress.

Luckily all the really hard/frustrating places are optional and you can actually beat Act 3 with only like 2 major fights.

Yeah I do like Acts 1 and 2 a lot. I've had a lot of playthroughs die out right after Act2 because there's so much to do in big city and tbh the start of Act 3 is a bit of a come down after the highs of Act 2. And also my pc runs like poo poo in BG city which makes Act 3 a further drag to play.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
halsin loving sucks, he keeps saying "i can help you get into moonrise towers" "I can help you get into moonrise towers" but all he does is mooch around in camp talking about his dream buddy and then guilt trips you that you didn't lift the shadow curse without providing any more guidance than "look for my dream buddy" gtfo you useless buff himbo

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I have ko'd my teammates so many times with persistent AOE spells that keep going after combat ends.

Yeah those should cancel by default. Nine-Fingers' crew aggroed on me after we took out the Stone Lord's crew cos they were still getting lightly toasted by Shart's flame wall. I couldn't cancel or even see what was happening cos that one lady started talking immediately. Joke's on them, they had a sweet dagger so they can stay dead.

It is not the sort of thing that would happen with an irl DM unless they were looking for a smack.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

roomtone posted:

you know what is annoying

people being like 'lol i played as 4 gnomes and just did all the evil choices' 'here's how the underdark reacts to 50 INSANE DROWS'

no none of that happened and if it did, the only reasons you sat there and pushed yourself through it was for 'content', it's both agonising and boring to actually do

you played a more or less good whatever and agonised over all the difficult choices, like everybody else

these games are actually fun and the need to have a clickbait headline that is vaguely backed up is killing everything in life

I just scroll to the next thing myself.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any act 1 gear that's good for a blaster Warlock? I'm getting really frustrated with it right now because with one attack per turn at 60-70% hit rate a few bad rolls can basically mean the warlock does nothing in an entire encounter. I'm a few hundred xp from level 5, at which point I at least get a second blast. I know there's a bunch of act 3 stuff that gives you bonuses to spell attack rolls but I'm not sure if there's anything in act 1, or much in act 2. I'm probably forgetting something obvious. Ideally it would be gear rather than a weapon because I feel like the Undermountain King shortsword would be really good on this character for this playthrough because the other characters are Light Domain Shadowheart, Polearm Battlemaster Lae'zel, and Karlach Kong, either not using stuff that can crit or using two-handed stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The big Act 1 combo for casters is the Spellsparkler staff you get from saving Florrick from Waukeen's rest and the Protecty Sparkswall robes from Grymforge. Those alone will increase your attack rolls by quite a lot alongside adding some nice lightning damage riders that add up with multi-hitting abilities like Eldritch Blast. From the Underdark you can get Phalar Aluve and assign someone (probably Shadowheart) to be your Shriek wench, then buy the Boots of Stormy Clamor from Omeluum.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The big Act 1 combo for casters is the Spellsparkler staff you get from saving Florrick from Waukeen's rest and the Protecty Sparkswall robes from Grymforge. Those alone will increase your attack rolls by quite a lot alongside adding some nice lightning damage riders that add up with multi-hitting abilities like Eldritch Blast. From the Underdark you can get Phalar Aluve and assign someone (probably Shadowheart) to be your Shriek wench, then buy the Boots of Stormy Clamor from Omeluum.

I put this stuff on Gale with a ring that does thunder damage and a necklace with an extra magic missile I got from the under dark. MM is just a delete any enemy’s health bar or knock them prone button. Cheesy as hell.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023

Eau de MacGowan posted:

halsin loving sucks, he keeps saying "i can help you get into moonrise towers" "I can help you get into moonrise towers" but all he does is mooch around in camp talking about his dream buddy and then guilt trips you that you didn't lift the shadow curse without providing any more guidance than "look for my dream buddy" gtfo you useless buff himbo

Did you find the Last Light Inn? There's an NPC there that will start the quest. He's on a bed in the room to the right of the entrance.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

When did they break Phalar Alive: Sing? It doesn't apply to the person holding the sword anymore, which makes it useless for my solo run.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Got to the circus in Act 3, bought enough face paint for the party.

I make camp and the confrontation scene with Vlakkith triggers while my whole party is wearing clown makeup

laughed so hard my sides still hurt, such pure absurd joy

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My husband did the djinni confrontation / jungle trip after using clown makeup. He chose all the rude options, too. Seeing a clown bellow "HOW DOES IT FEEL, SUCKER" after hustling a con artist genie was loving sublime

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

You have to get her below 10% HP or so, and her turn has to come up again. So if she’s down to low health just skip everyone else until the turn order loops back around. She’ll only bargain with the closest character in proximity so that’s a convenient time to move whatever party member you want to actually negotiate over to her.

I was looking forward to talking to her because it's my goodie durge shoes run and It seems like something that would gently caress you up in that position.

You have no idea what you were up to before the start of the game and there's a bunch of hints that it was some real poo poo. Literally the two cutscenes before I ran into the hag was:

an archdevil meeting you and going "hoo boy you've been putting in the work."

The bard scene (rip).

Then pretty much immediately after that cutscene you meet this cackling hag who goes into exquisite detail on how they tortured dozens/hundreds of people. It's literally her nature and the only way to stop her is to kill her.

Were you up to poo poo like this? Is this what you would be like if nothing had happened? Worse? You kill her because she needs to be stopped, yeah. What's the argument against treating you the same way? What, just because you feel bad and try not to? Sure helped that other lady. Oh, also there's a dude who sees the future who says that you turn into a completely different kind of soulless killing machine.

It just seems like a really bad time. Bad vibes.

It's amazing how the game takes an incredibly trite situation, that's basically one of the oldest tropes in fiction, and it can still be so elevated through a combination of visual design and technique. To be honest, a ton of BG3 hits so hard specifically because AAA titles have neglected the genre for so long. If BG3 had released in the same state in the present day but the market was like the mid-aughts -where there were a number of big budget CRPGs- coming out I'm not convinced it would be nearly as much of an uncontested instant classic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ah gently caress is the astarion quest end on long rest timer? I wanted to do the ritual but vampires turned up in my camp. can i just knock them all out?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just attack them and they’ll all poof away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I didn't plan to go great weapon master for anyone in this playthrough but I did it anyway. Early act 3 what's available to gain advantage at minimal cost in action economy and regularly. Risky ring is spoken for already. Gloves of the growling underdog are on, but a little situational for obvious reasons. Kinda hate using guiding bolt for just advantage though that works I suppose. What are my options here?