Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

If the car is an ice-cube, I ain't going to work and work will have to deal with it, and I say that having taken three days off because "it's far too loving cold, it will probably freeze my car to death and you don't pay me enough to take that chance."

I'm still employed, and didn't even get a talking-to.
Some people work jobs that have to go on no matter the weather. It probably wouldn't be the end of the world if I specifically didn't show up during lovely weather(grab another lab peon, who cares) but you can't have everyone working healthcare do that.

(the flip side is I'm in for an easy shift if it's that bad outside, because nobody's coming to the the ER if they don't absolutely have to)

Content:
https://twitter.com/briiijole/status/1746662045934662129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Haifisch posted:

Some people work jobs that have to go on no matter the weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfirnP08FP0

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

"Vincent Van Goatse" posted:

That tire is bald as gently caress, yo

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NoWake posted:

That tire is bald as gently caress, yo

Initially I wasn't sure what I was looking at in that screenshot, but watching the video full screen was pretty goddamn obvious. Pulitzer loving prize journalism there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

“What if my two year old daughter was playing nearby? Her safety is the most important thing.”

Drives away on bald as gently caress tires

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

“What if my two year old daughter was playing nearby? Her safety is the most important thing.”

Drives away on bald as gently caress tires

He looks the kind of credulous techbro who doesn't understand how tires work or thinks he doesn't need to change them because ELECTRIC ELON MUSK CAR.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Don't Teslas wear tires insanely quickly because they're so goddamn heavy for their size? Or did I just imagine hearing that somewhere?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

All EVs wear out tires faster than non-evs due to weight, yes. I don't think "insanely quickly" is really accurate though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Insanely quickly would be the tyres on the new G wagon because it can spin 360 on the spot.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

All EVs wear out tires faster than non-evs due to weight, yes. I don't think "insanely quickly" is really accurate though.

And instant torque. Our ID4 has a 0-60 roughly on par with our 987.2, but way more torque. Combine that with the “EV go wheeee” impulse, and it’s not hard to see why they’d be eating through tires significantly faster.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I feel like there are probably more compromises in EV tires as well given the higher prioritization of low rolling resistance and noise floor than IC vehicles.

Something has to give, and with the added weight it can't really be grip.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I feel like there are probably more compromises in EV tires as well given the higher prioritization of low rolling resistance and noise floor than IC vehicles.

Something has to give, and with the added weight it can't really be grip.

Maybe things have changed, but low rolling resistance tires were always the ones that rode and wore like iron and you'd get like 60k miserable miles out of them on your first gen prius/insight/whatever.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Look at bro’s watch and shirt cuff

That mutherfucker absolutely does not have to go to the office. That mutherfucker wants to go so they can lord over the peons they force to come in to make themselves feel important.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Motronic posted:

Maybe things have changed, but low rolling resistance tires were always the ones that rode and wore like iron and you'd get like 60k miserable miles out of them on your first gen prius/insight/whatever.

I think they've improved since then, but since they're more expensive I'm sure a significant number of Tesla owners end buying normal tires after the factory tires are worn out. Or like this guy never gets new tires.

Edit: I'm reminded of the huge number of cars I'd see in California that had bald tires and threads showing. With near constant dry road conditions, they didn't learn their lesson until there was a little wet weather.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 17, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fresh_cheese posted:

That mutherfucker absolutely does not have to go to the office. That mutherfucker wants to go so they can lord over the peons they force to come in to make themselves feel important.

Also who is dumb enough to not get the ice scraper out first thing before you try anything

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Also who is dumb enough to not get the ice scraper out first thing before you try anything

Protip: use your plastic kitchen spatula instead of metal if you're going after a painted surface

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Devor posted:

Protip: use your plastic kitchen spatula instead of metal if you're going after a painted surface

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

Thank you for noticing this important signalling. Dude can just open up his laptop at home and pretend he's doing work like usual.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thank you for noticing this important signalling. Dude can just open up his laptop at home and pretend he's doing work like usual.

Mutherfucker prolly went back inside after falling on his rear end due to poor shoe choices and worked from home while threatening all the peons with bad reviews because they arent team players if they all didnt go in anyway weather is no excuse you have to plan ahead if you cant makeit in thats bad judgement on your part

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/6NkgRVY.mp4

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The greatest tank commander who has ever lived

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Doesn't help if your ice scraper is in the car! (I am guilty of this)

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Fifty Three posted:

I was taught to use a credit card and it worked the one time I had to try it, though my fingers did not enjoy the experience.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I usually dump windshield washer fluid if it gets that bad and I'm in a hurry.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sigma posted:

The greatest tank commander who has ever lived

Rommel is on his suspension stops too lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fresh_cheese posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing about his watch and shirt cuff?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I assume it's that he's wearing a chunky watch, and an actual button down shirt and jacket rather than a dirty ripped up hoodie with an apple watch.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Looks like something a business wanker would wear.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

One in each car and an extra in the garage :ninja:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

That he's wearing a fitted summer suit with that conspicuously shows his chunky watch, with no overcoat, trying to get into his outdoor parked Tesla after a snowstorm. You can read a lot into it, but without a location and an age range, it just says clout without class to me. Fashion is serious business

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 19, 2024

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/NYSDOT/status/1748084919471845411

https://www.theautopian.com/watch-a-subaru-wrx-driver-split-their-car-in-half-on-a-snow-plow-after-an-idiotic-pass/

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://i.imgur.com/8LnqEV0.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I watched a situation like that.

I was living in Indiana and driving home in a blizzard. All the cars were lined up, doing about 35 mph on a 55 mph highway, staying close enough to see the taillights of the car in front, but far enough to brake if necessary.

A guy in a Chevette decided that he needed to pass this entire line of about 30 cars with zero visibility. He got about three cars in front of me when he ran into a snow plow and got launched into a corn field. The snow plow didn't even flinch.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bad pedestrian:

Roads are covered in snow. It’s still snowing. At this point, we will get another 4”.

Family out with their kids. Dad’s pulling one kid in a plastic sled, up on the snow-covered sidewalk. Mom’s pulling the other kid in a plastic sled, in the loving road. Yes, there are cars. Yes, they are slipping and sliding. Yes, she could also have her kid up on the sidewalk. But she’s not.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Bad pedestrian:

Roads are covered in snow. It’s still snowing. At this point, we will get another 4”.

Family out with their kids. Dad’s pulling one kid in a plastic sled, up on the snow-covered sidewalk. Mom’s pulling the other kid in a plastic sled, in the loving road. Yes, there are cars. Yes, they are slipping and sliding. Yes, she could also have her kid up on the sidewalk. But she’s not.

Now you know which child was the favorite

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Outnumbered by the many people who clearly should have stayed home instead of being out driving in the snow.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Holding his phone, filming while going down the highway. Good job.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Holding his phone, filming while going down the highway. Good job.

I was the passenger

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So you were in a Tesla?

(I've stopped giving people the benefit of the doubt on the internet. The "wobbling the aim all over sideways" is usually when people try to keep their eyes on the road and the phone simultaneously. I withdraw my objection.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So you were in a Tesla?

(I've stopped giving people the benefit of the doubt on the internet. The "wobbling the aim all over sideways" is usually when people try to keep their eyes on the road and the phone simultaneously. I withdraw my objection.)

the wooble is from this sorta dip
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.492...i8192?entry=ttu

and this one https://www.google.com/maps/@47.489...i8192?entry=ttu

e: in the gif you can see the cars dip too!