Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CGI Stardust posted:

i had a look on the NHS page to see what they suggest for COVID

leaving aside that the initial symptoms of COVID are a runny nose, sore throat, and slight cough, and that's probably when they're most infectious, where is this 3 days isolation after a positive test coming from?? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Internet Janitor posted:

i wonder how many established industries with PPE requirements have the same "cheat day" problem

"oh, normally when i do asbestos remediation i wear my gear, but today was karl's birthday and we had to take a few photos..."

we deal with fiberglass in my workplace, and PPE use is abysmal. it's a constant battle to get people to wear masks while working with fiberglass, and then even harder to get them to wear masks correctly.

<dude with a one strap n95 flopping on his face> : i hate how my throat feels after working with this poo poo.
<me, pointing to my mask>: i never have that problem, grats on the silicosis.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Every time I do a brake job together with my coworkers: "Oh! That's a good idea (referring to my mask). I should do that." (Proceeds to never do that.)

It stopped bothering me a long time ago, because wearing a mask has legit had positive effects on my health. I wish I knew how N95s worked in the past. I would have definitely worn one on hi AQI days or in the supermarket during the cold season. Masks are great.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The "saving up the good boy points" phenomenon drives me crazy to an additional degree because IMHO the point of being diligent is to have even the potential of grace if you DO gently caress up or are exposed to risks beyond your control and your trust of your respirator.

Like, I'm in so, so, so fewer scenarios than the average person that might result in me getting sick. I have absolutely no risk for the majority of my life. Of course I'm not sick! It's only guaranteed you'll catch covid over and over when you're like, constantly doing Normal! Even minor adjustments to your routine have a hugely outsized protective effect

... This sounds like I'm saying I am just doing good boy points. Can't explain it but I'm currently trusting my respirator on a fifteen hour international flight. Woooo

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Internet Janitor posted:

i wonder how many established industries with PPE requirements have the same "cheat day" problem

"oh, normally when i do asbestos remediation i wear my gear, but today was karl's birthday and we had to take a few photos..."

It's extremely common IME.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

did PPE use in industry and trades get worse after COVID?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
We had a plumber doing work at our house recently and had to constantly to bug him to wear the KN95s we provided. At one point he went up into the attic and took the mask off, then came down coughing and complaining about all the old fiberglass insulation up there and how it irritates his lungs. My dude, I literally handed you the thing that makes that not a problem. :ughh:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

We had a plumber doing work at our house recently and had to constantly to bug him to wear the KN95s we provided. At one point he went up into the attic and took the mask off, then came down coughing and complaining about all the old fiberglass insulation up there and how it irritates his lungs. My dude, I literally handed you the thing that makes that not a problem. :ughh:

We gave up on asking service workers to mask. We just mask now and run air purifiers non-stop if they're in the house and for an hour after they leave. Has worked so far, gently caress it, I'll go with what works.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Huh, I got blocked by @fitterhappierAJ because he's running some mass blocklist?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We gave up on asking service workers to mask. We just mask now and run air purifiers non-stop if they're in the house and for an hour after they leave. Has worked so far, gently caress it, I'll go with what works.
Yeah we are running Levoits all the time too. The Vital 200S model has an air quality indicator light that registers particulates. poo poo is dire when people are drywalling or sanding, unsurprisingly, and it is easy to see that in the prefilter. These air purifiers would be useful even in the absence of respiratory disease.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia they're outright banning engineered stone bench tops because of all the silicosis cases occurring in that industry every year. It took years of combined effort from doctors, worked and unions to get the ban into effect
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...l-others-follow

Is the stone dust just so delicious that people can't help but huff it wtf that's not a theoretical hazard that poo poo will gently caress you up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hellequin posted:

Huh, I got blocked by @fitterhappierAJ because he's running some mass blocklist?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

Is the stone dust just so delicious that people can't help but huff it wtf that's not a theoretical hazard that poo poo will gently caress you up
The Behind the Bastards episodes on the Hawks Nest Tunnel were some of the darkest poo poo I've ever listened to. The tunneling coming (good old Union Carbide) didn't want to use wet drilling because it was more expensive/slower, and the rock had an unusually high amount of silica in it. Dudes were dying within literally months of working in there.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol that's the area code I grew up in. wild

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I thought it would be some prank phone number like 1800 Eat poo poo or Callin’ Oates but people are talking about it like it’s real

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Poor Tony is lonely. :shobon:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When the apartment maintenance guys come into my unit, they always put on masks when I ask. It probably helps that I'm very cute and nice and they have literally never, ever seen me without one for multiple years so they probably assume I'm immunocompromised without me saying anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Shiroc posted:

When the apartment maintenance guys come into my unit, they always put on masks when I ask. It probably helps that I'm very cute and nice and they have literally never, ever seen me without one for multiple years so they probably assume I'm immunocompromised without me saying anything.

I am not cute so maybe I need to have one of these conspicuously by the door

apparently $26

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This deeply understates the depravity of the system.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

lmao, yeah I'm not phoning a guy to state my case for why I should be unblocked because he got pissy over being called out for misogyny.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hellequin posted:

lmao, yeah I'm not phoning a guy to state my case for why I should be unblocked because he got pissy over being called out for misogyny.

what’d he say?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hellequin posted:

what happened ?

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

A sub group of (mostly white male) Long Covid patients who have been toxic for a long time and who have previously harassed other patients (mostly women) got really pissy that none of the speakers at the Senate hearing on Long Covid were white men, they didn't feel "represented", anyway he went into a Twitter space hosted by that group and basically said that people who talk about medical misogyny, racism etc. when it comes to Long Covid are plants sent to disrupt the movement and need to be shut down. He got pretty gently called out and responded by blocking thousands of people, mostly women, including the woman who made useful infographics based on his work.

Hellequin has issued a correction as of 08:13 on Jan 21, 2024

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

It's that same faction that keep denigrating ME/CFS patients and deny any connection between the two.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thank you for filling me in. buffoonish.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
drat AJ knows so much about the immune system but still came down with a severe case of dumbfuck white guy on twitter syndrome.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I've always figured at least part, certainly not all but part of the resistance of to PPE/safety stuff at least here in America is generations of downward anti-labor pressure against it. 'Dirty Jobs' type stuff where the extra seconds and effort to do a job safely and correctly is mocked if not outright punished, the blatant hypocrisy of 'you're responsible for your own safety so it's your fault if you get hurt' balanced against 'only big babies would use safety gear, I never have and I haven't been maimed (yet)' and 'this has to be done faster than humanly possible if you gear up for the work or you're fired get the hint wink wink nudge nudge'. Big ol' intersectionality spaghet with a little bit of toxic masculinity in there for good measure. A lot of people have never been exposed to the shitshow of below-minimum-wage work, and if they have they tend to figure panthers eating faces is a skill issue because our stupid loving society teaches people to cope wrong. Prosperity gospel isn't just a religious phenomena, it's inherent to the fabric of American society.

anyways yeah sorry you still got those six-piece nuggets on the value menu?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
God drat it AJ

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
re: cis white men doing the cis white man thing: what can you say but lol

loving dumbasses

E: In case I'm posting poorly because brain problems, I'm not claiming that stupidity is unique to people who are cis, white, or male, but we have a society that keeps rewarding dumbasses trending towards those designations for slinging their toxic bullshit everywhere every time they fail to see themselves and only and exactly themselves represented in any given situation, so

Shady Amish Terror has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Jan 21, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Getting so mad online that you post your phone number and dare the haters to call you is badass. I salute the true posters of this world o7

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Getting so mad online that you post your phone number and dare the haters to call you is badass. I salute the true posters of this world o7

I will however say that, while you absolutely don't gotta hand it to'em, there is POWERFUL posting energy in that, yeah

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealGayArbys/status/1748869687704690757

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

More like Crabby J Leonardi!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Manthony Leonardi

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ah, the wreckers phase of movement building

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
@bitterlarpierAJ

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

ah, the wreckers phase of movement building

The 'evidence' posted itt of him being a misogynist was literally him saying 'wreckers exist'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I present an aid for the compilation of the Yankee Candle Index.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
One lady and her 2 year old in my row across the plane have been coughing nonstop for eleven hours. The 2 year old has basically been in respiratory distress when not zonked out on some sort of cold medicine. Holy poo poo.

rip to every other loving person on the plane. I might have a chance with mask, spray and a two week old moth juice.

We even had a stereotypical PA call for a doctor.

I've been awake for 28 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

HazCat posted:

The 'evidence' posted itt of him being a misogynist was literally him saying 'wreckers exist'.

Yeah, it sounded and reads more like him going "chill dude" than him being misogynistic.