Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Palworld is a playable shitpost pushing the boundaries of IP infringement, made by some AI dude, and it’s massive with all the Twitch freaks who need something to watch while their favourite bikini streamer is offline.

It’s not a surprise it’s popular. Is it any good? I honestly don’t think it matters. We’re a month removed from The Day Before, we know Gamers™️ will latch onto weird poo poo for weird reasons, and at least Palworld meets the bar of being a functional product that isn’t an obvious scam.

This is wrong on so many levels is not worth to really try to argue about it. If it was just a meme game the first 3-4 hours after release the game would have been dead because all the reviews and streams. The fact that it kept growing is proof enough that is doing things right for a lot of people.

It's not a game for everyone, lost of people will find it awful because it's a crafting-survival game but for a lot of people who like the genre or just don't hate it is a good game with a neat twist and really focused and what it wants to be. This is probably why Craftopia with it's kitchen sink approach to mechanics and things wasn't so popular and this one is.

A good game will be played no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

if you think that's a hollow knight knock-off you've seen nothing yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HUELoNayE

From the comments:

quote:

This is what happens when they don’t give us Silksong
:hmmyes:

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

repiv posted:

They could certainly do with deviatoring somewhat from the source material

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Everyone! Everyone! Look at how edgy I am! I hate this incredibly popular thing! I'll go blue in the face saying how much this thing sucks by saying the same things over and over. No, I never tried said thing, but it's obvious it sucks because someone else said so, and I have to be as seen and heard as them!

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
If somebody says one more negative thing about Palworld I'm gonna poo poo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

D.Fuzzbot posted:

If somebody says one more negative thing about Palworld I'm gonna poo poo

The bad games store called, they're running out of Palworld!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

please sit down on the toilet then they made a lazy asset flip and support AI even if they might not have used it in palworld but also the game's kinda fun so after making GBS threads you can decide whether to give it or not

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

kazil posted:

The bad games store called, they're running out of Palworld!

THAT'S IT, get me my big boy diapers

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Honestly Something Awful is way more hung up on the bear sex than anywhere else I've seen, other sites generally talk about the gameplay, plot or characters. I basically never saw a reference to the meme a week after release outside of Something Awful, meanwhile you still can't mention the game on these forums without someone Did You Know-ing about how much money the game made or how it was because of bear sex.

I wanna say it's because on SA people are generally more fixated on trying to figure out 'why' games are popular?
yeah it's kind of weird but at this point even the post before yours was presumably just ironically mentioning the idea that this thread thinks bg3 is a meme game because of the bear sex

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i'd rather play a fun """meme game""" any time of the week over boring AAA slop like Suicide Squad or Starfield

change the thread title to "Steam Thread: meme game"

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

repiv posted:

Theres also Crowsworn:
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256963873/movie480_vp9.webm

Any others?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there was one that had a stained-glass motif but it was terrible. forget the name

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nintendo defense force people are the Disney Adults of gaming for real.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

i'd rather play a fun """meme game""" any time of the week over boring AAA slop like Suicide Squad or Starfield

Steme Thread

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Steamed memes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

please sit down on the toilet then they made a lazy asset flip and support AI even if they might not have used it in palworld but also the game's kinda fun so after making GBS threads you can decide whether to give it or not

gently caress,,,, they… support AI???!’n

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I am kinda sad that no one remember Digimon to compare their -mon with guns, enslavement labor force with whipping, death, war crime, and A.I.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Estel posted:

If it was just a meme game the first 3-4 hours after release the game would have been dead because all the reviews and streams. The fact that it kept growing is proof enough that is doing things right for a lot of people.

I mean.. eeeeeehhhh? People spend a lot of time playing some real shite. I don’t think that necessarily proves or disproves that it’s a meme game, or that it’s even a good game. It definitely looks like something that is tapping into certain hooks, rather than excelling from a gameplay perspective, but then people like those hooks so it is what it is.

None of this matters either way, if people are enjoying it then fair fucks to them. Nobody should feel bad about enjoying this because some old and cranky dumb rear end on the internet doesn’t get it.

ShadowMar posted:

Also this 100%. I mean Palworld has at least stirred some conversation. Starfield arrived with all the momentum and interest of a pancake that eventually peels off the kitchen ceiling and slaps onto the floor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palworld kinda reminds me of this old game that came out for the Monarch Gamechamp Portable back in like 1999... its name is on the tip of my tongue.

I know it was really fun and really cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Meme game keeps memeing

https://x.com/palworld_en/status/1749074821609373745?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

It’s the best $26 I’ve spent on a game in a while.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is the Game Pass version fixed yet? I want to try it but I don't want to pay for it until I know if I like it (and two hours probably isn't enough time for that for this kind of game), and I don't want to play the broken version.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Volte posted:

Is the Game Pass version fixed yet? I want to try it but I don't want to pay for it until I know if I like it (and two hours probably isn't enough time for that for this kind of game), and I don't want to play the broken version.

Afaik no but it’s not like super broken so you would get an idea if you’d want to buy it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i would only consider the game pass version of palworld to be a buggy as hell demo to see if you would like to buy the steam version, its not unplayable but its definitely broken in a lot of ways and i dont recommend committing to the game pass ecosystem for this game long term

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Volte posted:

if cassette beasts was any indication, it'll be a few months before it's patched

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

palworld is dope but also BG3 still having 200k+ players like 5-6 months post release seems pretty nuts for a purely single player CRPG

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is lethal company a meme game and am I allowed to like it please tell me steam thread

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is the steam thread, you’re not allowed to like any game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

all steam games are meme games

steme games

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

KakerMix posted:

Is lethal company a meme game and am I allowed to like it please tell me steam thread

a meme is something that spreads cultural context through non-genetic means so if you think about it, all games are meme games

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mycot posted:

Honestly Something Awful is way more hung up on the bear sex than anywhere else I've seen, other sites generally talk about the gameplay, plot or characters. I basically never saw a reference to the meme a week after release outside of Something Awful, meanwhile you still can't mention the game on these forums without someone Did You Know-ing about how much money the game made or how it was because of bear sex.

I wanna say it's because on SA people are generally more fixated on trying to figure out 'why' games are popular?

This is a forum for intellectuals, we dig a little deeper than the plebes elsewhere, try to figure out the psychology and sociology behind why bear sex is such a draw

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

queeb posted:

palworld is dope but also BG3 still having 200k+ players like 5-6 months post release seems pretty nuts for a purely single player CRPG

BG3 has changed :pcgaming: forever, we're only going to be seeing the results in a couple of years, but I'll be there for it

I feel so vindicated backing Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity on Kickstarter in 2014 or whenever it was

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It doesn't seem fair to compare Palworld to other games' sales because instead of an FPS, isometric RPG, etc they released a game people actually wanted to play.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

all steam games are meme games

steme games

Hey I already made that portmanteau, I'LL KILL YOU :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your stemes end here

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/BroandBright/status/1749083996468691397
https://twitter.com/Repiteo/status/1749085373446140315

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will never play Palworld but I always appreciate these stories of plucky li'l devs hitting it big out of nowhere.

Plus, you can apparently have your Pokémon engage in trench warfare

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the guns in Palworld are just abilities that have a cool down.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is this the top 10 without f2p titles?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Is this the top 10 without f2p titles?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
With the one caveat being that PUBG wasn't F2P when it hit its peak of over 3 million back in 2018.