Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
On Disney+ the "IMAX Enhanced" version of the movie has scenes where the aspect ratio switches back and forward between shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Yeah, the climax of Black Panther 2 thought it was super important that I see the ultra wide shot that makes it really obvious that they're all standing on a soundstage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well that’s different because those movies aren’t usually shot in IMAX and are just extended because they want to be more cinematic than they are

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Reading random things on quora (I know) and I'm astounded by the amount of censorship. People are censoring "intimate." Everyone is so afraid of -- *.*+ the algorithm +*.*!

Also what's annoying me today:

Things telling me to subscribe. Shut the gently caress up, I'm not brand new to the loving Internet, I don't need to be reminded that I can subscribe to help you inch ever so slightly higher on the influencer grind or whatever. If a video is interrupted so that someone can tell me to SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON I'm loving closing the window. Stop it with that poo poo. Even better when 15% of the screen real estate is occupied by a flashing DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE! button. It's all done with such intensity that I imagine someone going over the numbers late at night, sweating over the difference between views and likes.

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Jan 19, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Things telling me to subscribe.

SponsorBlock.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hmmmm.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Reading random things on quora (I know) and I'm astounded by the amount of censorship. People are censoring "intimate." Everyone is so afraid of -- *.*+ the algorithm +*.*!

Also what's annoying me today:

Things telling me to subscribe. Shut the gently caress up, I'm not brand new to the loving Internet, I don't need to be reminded that I can subscribe to help you inch ever so slightly higher on the influencer grind or whatever. If a video is interrupted so that someone can tell me to SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON I'm loving closing the window. Stop it with that poo poo. Even better when 15% of the screen real estate is occupied by a flashing DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE! button. It's all done with such intensity that I imagine someone going over the numbers late at night, sweating over the difference between views and likes.

Sadly it works and it works well, and it is crucial to getting income

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All the stupid snow removal "hacks" out there

I'm sure a lot of them would work if you had a perfectly smooth, flat driveway with an even inch of pristine, fluffy snow but that's never what I seem to be shoveling out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know who "Mr Beast" is. I don't want to know who "Mr Beast" is. I don't care, and I don't want to be made to "have" to care because they're currently popular. Same deal with Taylor Swift and football guy she's currently dating (in what's probably a limited liability partnership or whatever given how the music industry works).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

All the stupid snow removal "hacks" out there

I'm sure a lot of them would work if you had a perfectly smooth, flat driveway with an even inch of pristine, fluffy snow but that's never what I seem to be shoveling out.

Yup. I hate when I see articles saying things like,
"Don't shovel the snow, push the snow! They even make special shovels for this so you don't have to lift!"

Yeah, like you said, that only works with a small amount of snow, and it can't be heavy/wet, and even THEN you have to have a brand new, perfectly smooth driveway. You hit ONE little bump/ridge/divot in your driveway, and the shovel catches, and then the handle jams you in your breadbasket.

And I've seen things like use your leaf blower!" and again...only works on pure powder, and not much of it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
If it's a small enough amount of snow that it could be cleared with pushing it around or a leaf blower, it's a small enough amount of snow that I just ignore it apart from clearing a path for the mail carrier.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My snow removal hack is live in an apartment building so it's someone else's problem

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There is no problem in the human condition that cannot be solved with the precise and proper application of high explosives. :colbert:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There is no problem in the human condition that cannot be solved with the precise and proper application of high explosives. :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

docbeard posted:

My snow removal hack is live in an apartment building so it's someone else's problem

I live in an apartment building and if it snows bad I still need to shovel my car out of the mound.

One very snowy day I had to take the bus to work because someone else got their car stuck right at the only entrance/exit and just left it there.

My fuckup is owning a car like a rube.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I keep accidentally rating threads because I'm too lazy to zoom in before trying to click on the little forums link at the bottom of the page on mobile web

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

InediblePenguin posted:

I keep accidentally rating threads because I'm too lazy to zoom in before trying to click on the little forums link at the bottom of the page on mobile web

Don't use mobile web for SA, use the Awful App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp&hl=en_IE

I don't know the iTunes one...I think this but don't trust me, go check the Awful App thread in Inspect Your Gadgets.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/awful-sa-forums-browser/id567936609

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know who "Mr Beast" is. I don't want to know who "Mr Beast" is. I don't care, and I don't want to be made to "have" to care because they're currently popular. Same deal with Taylor Swift and football guy she's currently dating (in what's probably a limited liability partnership or whatever given how the music industry works).

You can know who mr beast is without caring who about him

He’s a rich YouTuber who does philanthropy video things with his money

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think MoistCr1tikal/penguinz0 made a video about what seemed so "off" about him - essentially he does all this charity stuff but it's treated like a "dance monkey, DANCE" situation for the people involved who need help. It's not blatant but when you see/hear about the things he does, it really comes off poorly & he looks like a manipulative rear end in a top hat regardless of anything positive he does.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He looks like he lives in the uncanny valley, at least from the video thumbnails.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

docbeard posted:

I sleep in a big southern California desert with my wife.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

theironjef posted:

I sleep in a big southern California desert with my wife.

I should try this out.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

FreudianSlippers posted:

I should try this out.
Make sure to ask that poster's wife for permission, first.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I swear to God I keep coming up with recipe peeves. Here's a new one! Is there some new thing where the genius recipe writer doesn't tell you the actual quantities to use unless you scroll all the way to the loving bottom?!

It was bad enough when recipes started telling you their life story before telling you how to make the thing, now they don't even tell you HOW to actually do it unless you scroll through the detailed instructions and all the links to their other poo poo and subscribe to my blog or whatever the gently caress oh and here at the VERY BOTTOM OF THE PAGE here's the simple list of what quantities of ingredients you need.

Because I loving HATE IT.

Not to call out this recipe in particular because I'm sure it's by far not the only offender but imagine having to navigate THIS on your phone while on slow-rear end hotel wifi when you're on vacation and just wanting to try out a local recipe and you will understand my frustration! I didn't even realize the actual quantities were there at all. Ended up making the dang thing twice just by guessing how much of each thing to use!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Watch cookbooks circle back around to relevant in the digital age because it's the best and most convenient source for recipes lmao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

God, trying to just find things like "how long and at what temperature do I cook thing in the air fryer" has turned into such a chore. The worst was some horrible thing that chatgpt must have shat out where the payoff for scrolling past a novel's worth of "what is an air fryer" and "what is the 2000 year history of the
thing you want to cook" was "just follow the directions on the package"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

At this point, you'll want to add the salt.

WHY SALT?

In 2020, during the lockdowns,

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

I swear to God I keep coming up with recipe peeves. Here's a new one! Is there some new thing where the genius recipe writer doesn't tell you the actual quantities to use unless you scroll all the way to the loving bottom?!

It was bad enough when recipes started telling you their life story before telling you how to make the thing, now they don't even tell you HOW to actually do it unless you scroll through the detailed instructions and all the links to their other poo poo and subscribe to my blog or whatever the gently caress oh and here at the VERY BOTTOM OF THE PAGE here's the simple list of what quantities of ingredients you need.

Because I loving HATE IT.

Not to call out this recipe in particular because I'm sure it's by far not the only offender but imagine having to navigate THIS on your phone while on slow-rear end hotel wifi when you're on vacation and just wanting to try out a local recipe and you will understand my frustration! I didn't even realize the actual quantities were there at all. Ended up making the dang thing twice just by guessing how much of each thing to use!

Pretty sure there are browser plugins that will fix this, but don't know if that will help you on your phone.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Alexa, who I already kind of resent and despise anyway, has started bidding me good morning/afternoon/evening whenever I tell it to set a timer or add something to the shopping list. Shut the gently caress up, Alexa, you're a computer!!

It's also decided that I would be interested in getting notifications about the fact that there is a chance of light rain between 0230-0330 tonight. Which I'm really not.

In general the whole Alexa thing is a sack of poo poo, and I'm glad that Amazon have discontinued any further work on it. It is kinda funny that they never really managed to create any more useful functionality than the super banal day 1 things :being able to play music, create shopping lists, and set timers.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

The Perfect Element posted:

In general the whole Alexa thing is a sack of poo poo, and I'm glad that Amazon have discontinued any further work on it.

They're apparently relaunching it as a subscription service in June.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

docbeard posted:

God, trying to just find things like "how long and at what temperature do I cook thing in the air fryer" has turned into such a chore.
Related peeve: I have what I thought was a solid air fryer by a good major manufacturer, and almost none of the recipes I've found for it mention a temperature that's actually in its limited presets. Like, a recipe calls for 450 (say), but I can only set it to 430 or 480. WTF

Makes converting recipes to air fryer a huge pain-in-the-rear end guessing game, too. It should be easier than this!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alexa, who I already kind of resent and despise anyway, has started bidding me good morning/afternoon/evening whenever I tell it to set a timer or add something to the shopping list. Shut the gently caress up, Alexa, you're a computer!!
One of the many reasons to always have your phone's media volume set to zero.

Unless that doesn't work on iphones. I dunno. I have an android and it works on that. I tell it to start a timer and it just starts a timer without saying a single loving word. Perfect.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Bunch of recipes that use identical ingredients and preparation but specify anything from 300F for 15 minutes to 475F for 45 minutes. Is it all fake and AI generated? Did they just loving forget and don't want to admit it? It's just a matter of time until a recipe completely unironically asks me to add Nyquil.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
There are paid and free browser extensions for mobile and desktop that skip the crap at the top.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's also decided that I would be interested in getting notifications about the fact that there is a chance of light rain between 0230-0330 tonight. Which I'm really not.

In general the whole Alexa thing is a sack of poo poo, and I'm glad that Amazon have discontinued any further work on it. It is kinda funny that they never really managed to create any more useful functionality than the super banal day 1 things :being able to play music, create shopping lists, and set timers.

I have a friend who used to work at Amazon and did some Alexa-related work a few years back, who said that when they were there there was a general prohibition on making Alexa say things without prompting because people hate that. Anyway, they were really interested when Alexa started doing it to them recently because it means something must have changed significantly in what the higher ups want and it probably goes against what research is telling them.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Web comics that don't have punchlines oh wait none of them do

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

caspergers posted:

Web comics that don't have punchlines oh wait none of them do

Print media stays winning

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've been jumping in and out of Twitch the last week to watch AGQD, and every single ad break was for Echo on Disney Plus. I already have Disney Plus, I have no more ways to give you money to watch the show. I'm also watching on a device where I'm logged in to Disney Plus, your datamining operation should take that into consideration when you auction off my profile to the highest bidder to show me ads and cough up an ad for something I don't already own!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

I have a friend who used to work at Amazon and did some Alexa-related work a few years back, who said that when they were there there was a general prohibition on making Alexa say things without prompting because people hate that. Anyway, they were really interested when Alexa started doing it to them recently because it means something must have changed significantly in what the higher ups want and it probably goes against what research is telling them.

I wonder if we're seeing a similar phenomenon with Alexa as we do with mobile games with microtransactions, where once peak adoption is passed the strategy changes to maximizing whale take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

Bunch of recipes that use identical ingredients and preparation but specify anything from 300F for 15 minutes to 475F for 45 minutes. Is it all fake and AI generated? Did they just loving forget and don't want to admit it? It's just a matter of time until a recipe completely unironically asks me to add Nyquil.

This problem has existed for like a decade, it's not just AI.

The best part is when you go into the reviews and comments and you will see things like "This recipe didn't have [extremely basic ingredient that is a fundamental part of the dish] so I added some and also I only simmered it for 15 minutes at the end instead of 45 because that seemed way too long and it turned out great! 5 stars"